New to 30k - What Books do I need?

So with the SW's impending release of te big black book do I need one of the little red books to go with it?

Maybe ... THE HORUS HERESY - LEGIONES ASTARTES: AGE OF DARKNESS ARMY LIST?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Horus-heresy-legiones-Astartes-Age-of-Darkness-Army-List?_requestid=3146871

Or do I need the little red book as well?

To play Space Wolves you will need Horus Heresy book 7 and the Horus Heresy Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army list as you linked. Inferno (Book 7) will have the legion specific rules for the Space Wolves and their unique units while the general legion units are found in the Age of Darkness Army list (you can also get Age of Darkness Army list digitally at black library http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/hh-cod-sup/age-of-darkness-army-list-tablet.html).

Edited by Legionaire of the VIIth

• 1 month later...

I'd love to play Space Wolves or Dark Angels but no way I'm buying a $90 book plus the core rules.  Guess I'll do the Fists - both the books I need would be less than Inferno or Retribution alone.

• 5 weeks later...

So reading through the thread it seems there's no guarantee FW would update the digital copies? A bit shoddy if so, but fair enough. I imagine we'll be waiting a while for an updated Legions book to give us the rules for DA, BA, WS, TS and SW along with the existing legions altogether, but that's probably not going to be for a fair while I imagine since we're still waiting on units and characters for the first three.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here (and to 40K/30K in general).

I'm assuming that with the release of the rule book in December 2017 we are staying fixed in 7th edition for the foreseeable future. I'm more concerned about purchasing the Legions Astartes AOD Legions and Army List books.

• Is the Horus Heresy Rule Book a safe bet to purchase right now (no updated editions on the horizon)?
  • Has there been any hints at a release of an updated Legions Astartes books to include the missing legions from book 7?
  • The print editions of Legions Astartes Legions and Army List books cover everything from books 1-6?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

I seem to recall reading recently (following the recent HH/Necro weekender) that they (FW) didn't plan on releasing a new LA:AoD book until all the Legions ad rules, which would mean the book is a safe bet until the I Legion sees print...

I might have imagined this, mind you, but it would make sense, at least...

FW's Horus Heresy rules team (which is just 3 people) said several relevant things at the recent Weekender:

They don't intend to mess with the core rules until after all the armies are out. That means until after the Dark Angels and Dark Mechanicum get rules in late 2019 (black book 9: Angelus).

Once Angelus is out, there will be a final Legions book with rules for all eighteen of them (early- or mid-2020, probably mid). Not before. That's frustrating because a lot of legion-specific special units feel overcosted right now and the team doesn't like the idea of changing such things except in a red book. I can't see them changing the rules too soon after the release of the final Legions book, which pushes a new rulebook out even further.

The Legiones Astartes Army List book could potentially get redone before Angelus. My guess is that will come out after book 8: Malevolence (due at the end of this year), because that book will introduce legion-specific units that will serve as templates for revised Destroyers and Seekers. So, early- or mid-2019.

Good grief it's going to cost me about $236 US just for the books.

Book 2 Massacre (Salamanders)

The HH Rulebook

The two AoD Astartes red books

That's a hell of an investment with no models to play with.

The Istvaan Legions redbook has all the rules necessary to play Salamanders so unless you want the fluff and campaign systems, there's no real reason to buy Book 2

Also, you could get by just using the 7th ed rulebook unless there's a lot of changes being made in the HH exclusive one.

The Radio Free Isstvan podcast has an episode that goes over most of them. It’s titled “Horus Heresy Ver. 1: Overview and Changes.” Should help if you want to use your old 40k rulebook s little longer.

• 11 months later...

The HH Rulebook

Buy them second hand.

I bought my book three for 45€.

My buddy bought all books for less then 250€.

The HH Rulebook

The Istvaan Legions redbook has all the rules necessary to play Salamanders so unless you want the fluff and campaign systems, there's no real reason to buy Book 2

That.   

Also, you could get by just using the 7th ed rulebook unless there's a lot of changes being made in the HH exclusive one.

The Radio Free Isstvan podcast has an episode that goes over most of them. It’s titled “Horus Heresy Ver. 1: Overview and Changes.” Should help if you want to use your old 40k rulebook s little longer.

They didn't get all the changes.

Don't buy an outdated ruleset

Do it proper and start with AoD first edition. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so.

I'm starting on making my Dark Angels a 30k/40k crossover force. My issue is this:

While I don't have an issue buying the books (The Legiones Astartes Army List Collection & Rulebook), the Campaign Book for the Dark Angels with all that lovely lovely fluff, Book 6: Retribution, is gone from the Forge World site. Not "temporarily out of stock", flat out GONE, not on the website at all.

Books 4 and 6 are being replaced by softbacks, for some inexplicable reason. They’ve been announced, but without a firm release date.

Book 6 doesn’t have much for the Dark Angels anyway, just rules that enough people have written or podcasted about that you could easily compile them without the book. They’ll get full coverage in next year’s Book 9.

Also, crossover forces don’t make as much sense as they used to. Non-Primaris Marines are going to look increasingly out of place in 40k.

There’s also the issue that only the Ravenwing use Heresy-era colors.

Edited by carlisimo

Books 4 and 6 are being replaced by softbacks, for some inexplicable reason. They’ve been announced, but without a firm release date.

Book 6 doesn’t have much for the Dark Angels anyway, just rules that enough people have written or podcasted about that you could easily compile them without the book. They’ll get full coverage in next year’s Book 9.

Also, crossover forces don’t make as much sense as they used to. Non-Primaris Marines are going to look increasingly out of place in 40k.

There’s also the issue that only the Ravenwing use Heresy-era colors.

.... wat. That makes seriously no sense if only 2 books are being replaced by softbacks but not the others.

And okay, that makes sense.

And I don't care if they look out of place. Primaris Marines are too specialized and using Primaris only for Dark Angels basically means you're not playing Dark Angels. You're playing Codex: Space (Marines with Green Paint). Until they make Primaris Terminators and Bikers, Firstborn Astartes have a place.

To the last one: If/When the Lion returns, I doubt the Dark Angels would keep the current colours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Neat idea. However, you might want to not hot-link the images directly from the Forge World website. It gobbles up their bandwidth and IIRC it's against forum rules. :wink:

True :rolleyes:

I'm sure, given this useful post and essentially free advertising, it's something they wouldn't get too upset about.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello 30K community

I'm starting a Salamanders and a Solar Auxilia army, and I would really appreciate some help with the books. I am only looking for points & rules.

Is the books LA : Age of Darkness - Legions and LA: Age of Darkness - Armylist enough for the Salamanders?

And is the HH: Crusade Imperialis - Armylist book enough to get me started with Solar Auxilia?   

Yes, with the caveat that Salamanders can take some of the units introduced in Malevolence. The only one that’s particularly strong (imo) is the Sicaran Arcus. The Solar Auxilia can take the Aurochs and Carnodon tanks, which have rules online.

The legions books might get updated in the months or year following the release of black book 9.

Thank you Carlisimo:smile.: , that was very helpfull. I think I'm going to buy the LA books anyway, and hope that the updated book release is'nt due untill the year 2020. In that way I didn't buy expensive shelf filler.