New to 30k - What Books do I need?

Responses in yellow Courier.

I've just started to get intersted in 30k and plan to get into it. Now this is really confusing regarding the books for me. As I understand the book named "The Horus Heresy Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions" is the book to get for the special rules regarding my wanted legion, ie Death Guard. Is that correct?

Affirmative. That book has the most current version of the Legion specific units and rules, so if you want to run a Legion, it's definitely useful to have.

Now for the other book, well I cant get my head around it. In a previous post here some said do not buy the bok on the right is not a safe buy or confused with another book?

The book addressed in that post was the Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List (often abbreviated to LACAL,) which has recently been replaced with the Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List you mention below. At the time of that post, we knew that a replacement to LACAL was coming, but we had no information beyond that.

There is a book on the homepage named "The Horus Heresy - Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List", which also comes up if I click the filter to show New Releases. Now is that the correct book to get with the core units and their rules?

Yes, that is the correct book. It's a bit confusing now with the sheer volume of books available at the moment to know what you'll need to run a particular 30k army, but at the present moment it breaks down something like this:

All normal Legions except Thousand Sons and Space Wolves: Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List; Age of Darkness Legions.

Thousand Sons and Space Wolves: Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List; the Horus Heresy Book Seven (Forthcoming.)

Blackshields: Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List; the Horus Heresy Book Six: Retribution.

Shattered Legions: Same books as whatever Legions you are running; the Horus Heresy Book Six: Retribution.

Mechanicum: Mechanicum Taghmata Army List.

Questoris Knights: Crusade Imperialis Army Lists.

Cults and Militia: Crusade Imperialis Army Lists.

Solar Auxilia: Crusade Imperialis Army Lists.

Thanks for answers that will clear this up for me. :smile.:

You're welcome! Hope it helped! :tu:

LA Age of Darkness Legions has all* of the legion specific unit rules.

LA Age of Darkness Army List had all of the shared legion unit rules.

You need both of these.

*If you want the rules for legion specific units found in the Horus Heresy Book 6: Retribution you will need that book as well since they are not in the LA Age of Darkness Legions book. That's a total of 3 books to have all of the current HH legion rules.

Edit: I was way late to the party on that one, lol

Edited by Guiltysparc

Ah... I derp'ed in my last post, a lot. Forgot that the Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and White Scars aren't in the red books, completely forgot about Knights Errant, and forgot about the special characters in Retribution. My bad. My sincere apologies to anyone who was misinformed by what I said. Pay attention to what Guiltysparc just said about playing a Legions list. :sweat:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bother this thread again, but when you purchase one of the ebooks, do you receive an ePub file that you can read on any item with an ePub reading software? ie, would I be able to have it both on my phone, my computer and my tablet? I don't want to spend fifty or so quid on a book I can only ever really read on my teeny tiny phone screen...

If you buy it through Black Library, then yes.

Otherwise, the Itunes version only works on apple devices because of DRM though that means you can have it on any and all apple devices that has your account on them and the books app (or whatever) to read it.

• 1 month later...

If I bought the ORIGINAL red books, was there ever an update released to catch them up to the NEW ones?

I thought that was promised, but I could be mistaken.

On a similar note, if I buy the digital versions, have they said whether those would update automatically with new legions over time?

did I make up the thing about them updating the old ones?

also, are they talking about revamping them anytime soon?

I ask because I would like to get the digital enhanced editions, but really don't want to have to buy them a THIRD time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I've got the first run of the red books, and Black Books 1-3 coming for the holidays... I understand that I need the new Astartes red books to be up to date. (+book 6 but that will be in a later order)

My question is on the digital books. Has anyone played with the "enhanced" ones on ios? what makes them enhanced?

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy folks! About to redive into the Horus Heresy with a friend and I wanted to buy the books to play. Now I love the massive tomes for so many reasons but they are huge books to be lugging around so I want to get the smaller, compact red books for the rules. I know that I need the LA: Age of Darkness Army List and Legions books thanks to some previous posts in this thread. But I do have a question:

Is it worth buy the physical book or should I go digital?

Basically I am concerned it will be replaced and I will have to go book shopping again in the near future. I sincerely do not have an idea when such an event would occur bit it is something that I worry about a wee bit. I do not know if anyone has insight into this they could share. What I am curious about is if the digital copies get updated a'la the 40k digital kill team rules. I bought the rules when they first released them and with the recent release my digital copy was updated to correspond with the changes. If they get updated then I am a bit more inclined to digital.

Sorry for the long blurb but I figured I should ask the veterans before throwing my wallet at FW.

• 2 weeks later...

@hushrong, the paper verses electronic is really a personal preference thing.

With regards updates of the digital books, Forgeworld were still considering it back in November but it's not a thing yet, nor is it guaranteed for the future.

Thanks for the heads up! Now to flip a coin to see if I go digital or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So with the SW's impending release of te big black book do I need one of the little red books to go with it?

Maybe ... THE HORUS HERESY - LEGIONES ASTARTES: AGE OF DARKNESS ARMY LIST?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Horus-heresy-legiones-Astartes-Age-of-Darkness-Army-List?_requestid=3146871

Or do I need the little red book as well?