The Storm Stalkers - WiP Blog

I used Tamiya Clear Yellow, basically just kept it on that clear plastic tab then gave it a dip. Its pretty syrupy so i let a drip off for a bit but it shrinks down to a pretty durable finish and i didnt lose any details. 

Any of those clears make for great tinting on that clear plastic, I've also used Tamiya Clear Smoke to good effect.

Stormwolf complete! My photo setup isnt great so the pics for something as big as this arent the best but you get the idea.

med_gallery_2327_11680_26931.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_119788.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_10467.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_584667.jpeg

I need a short painting break so before I wrap my first vow I figured Id build for my second! Those with sensitive stomchs to graphic images of surgery feel free to scroll past....

med_gallery_2327_11680_490521.jpeg

*AxeDread number 2 on deck! It was quite nerve wracking to see that this guy went full out of stock right before getting all choppy but you gotta break a few eggs right?

Plan is another full fabricated shield and im toying with making a viking spear. My mockup design is off though but i wanted to get a sense of size. It's going to be awesome!

Stormwolf complete! My photo setup isnt great so the pics for something as big as this arent the best but you get the idea.

med_gallery_2327_11680_26931.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_119788.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_10467.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_584667.jpeg

I need a short painting break so before I wrap my first vow I figured Id build for my second! Those with sensitive stomchs to graphic images of surgery feel free to scroll past....

med_gallery_2327_11680_490521.jpeg

*AxeDread number 2 on deck! It was quite nerve wracking to see that this guy went full out of stock right before getting all choppy but you gotta break a few eggs right?

Plan is another full fabricated shield and im toying with making a viking spear. My mockup design is off though but i wanted to get a sense of size. It's going to be awesome!

1. i'm super excited to see another excellent dreadnought conversion from you. i saw the spear head, and thought you were doing a cool broadsword design, which had me pretty excited.

2. so re: spear, i have a hard time visualising the locomotion of a dread using a spear. by that mean, dreadnoughts have this shape and design for brutalising things. axes, mauls, hammers, even a broadsword, i can visualize battering down a big monster or cleaving through a squad of infantry, where even if he misses, dudes go flying from the shockwave. the spear seems more finessey on the other hand. i can see imagine him a big beasty with it but fighting squads with it is where my imagination fails. like, he does a big thrust but the squad just parts and falls back out of his reach, or they hit the dirt and the polearm part passes harmlessy overhead. anyways, just my two cents - seems like a square peg in a round hole thing.

Edited by Wispy

The dread looks good and there would be 2 ways to do it.

I suspect that you are going to do it as if the dread is gripping the spear, like the custodes dreads.

The other way is to use the BA librarian dread arm, as it is designed to have the haft of the spear run through the arm, then switch the jalberd head for the spear head. 

The FW dread is beautiful and such a shame it is going (or gone) I am sure you will do it justice

Yea all valid concerns and I appreciate the faith hah. I had been trying to come up with something cool to do weapon wise and recalling the movement in the DoW series. If you recall they have a 360 torso spin move which i always thought was goofy and obviously wouldn't translate to the table. From that though I thought a spear would be pretty cool.

I agree about the finesse part too though i think if any chapters dreads would be capable it would be ours. The FW dread in my mind totally invokes a masterly quality to them too.

I think the reason too the spear read more sword was in my sleepless stupor i flipped the wings in the mockup but this was (and will be) the basis:

1504.png

I'm toying with the idea of making a counts a murderfang with dual wielding bearded axes or even swords though so if you're a broadsword fan stay tuned.

Started on the spear too last night.

med_gallery_2327_11680_1715228.jpeg

It's pretty close and will be perfect in paint. If it doesn't work the pose i have in mind could lend itself to a few weapons.

that stormwolf is stunning.

mind posting how you did the weathering?

\

Yea all valid concerns and I appreciate the faith hah. I had been trying to come up with something cool to do weapon wise and recalling the movement in the DoW series. If you recall they have a 360 torso spin move which i always thought was goofy and obviously wouldn't translate to the table. From that though I thought a spear would be pretty cool.

I agree about the finesse part too though i think if any chapters dreads would be capable it would be ours. The FW dread in my mind totally invokes a masterly quality to them too.

I think the reason too the spear read more sword was in my sleepless stupor i flipped the wings in the mockup but this was (and will be) the basis:

1504.png

I'm toying with the idea of making a counts a murderfang with dual wielding bearded axes or even swords though so if you're a broadsword fan stay tuned.

Started on the spear too last night.

med_gallery_2327_11680_1715228.jpeg

It's pretty close and will be perfect in paint. If it doesn't work the pose i have in mind could lend itself to a few weapons.

awesome stuff.

Monday I am getting in a contemptor and a venerable dread, I plan on making my sheild dreads with contemptor legs and the venreable torso.

loving your idea for a whaling style great axe on the dread.

Edited by Triszin

Yea totally! I totally thought i had shared my technique so I apologize!

Damage:

Sponge on a ~50/50 mix of stormvermin fur/black.

Brush on some nicks, gouges, and projectile damage in the same color.

Under highlight (?yea i dont know?) in fenrisian grey on the knicks or larger splotches

Add a bit of metallic to the heavy damage spots

Dirt/Grime:

Airbrushed super windex diluted rhinox hide on the bottom parts and grating.

A lot of the shadows are just diluted agrax (like around the wolf icon on the sides)

Post Varnish - Vallejo/FW pigment mixed with medium to create the streaking.

I think thats it, Im not super regimented about it since its so easy to go overboard. I tend to just go slow where i add a bit, take a break, re-evaluate, then see what else i need.  I also did way less heavy damage on the flyer than i do in a dread or RB. It just seemed to me that it wouldn't get rode hard and put away wet like some of the other vehicles.

It was a good weekend! Got a ton done and got a game in so it was nice!

First up progress on Venerable Dread 2, im pretty pumped how he's shaping up.

med_gallery_2327_11680_163743.jpeg

All together so far it was chopping the legs and feet up for the re-position, adding the cabling I lost in the move, gap filling, and adding the "footprint" for the shoulder pelts. Still to go on the body is the fur on the pelts, cables in the shoulder gaps, attach the shield arm, and then finish the details on the base!

The Spear:

med_gallery_2327_11680_831093.jpeg

Mostly there on this, need to finish the blade though and add some details on the haft. I tried to make the design as similar as possible to the Fenrisian Great Axe.

Shield:

med_gallery_2327_11680_203596.jpeg

Pretty close here too but a looot of cleanup needs to happen and I need to finish the edge trim.

Then for personal inspiration I took a battleforged all dread list for a spin (god I love Space Wolves):

med_gallery_2327_11680_974509.jpeg

Super fun battle, ending up tabling some Custodes in 4 turns but it wasn't a done deal from the jump. Leviathan wiped a squad of guardians per turn and Bjorn tallied 2 jetbike shield captains. Flippin' glorious.

Had to proxy my contemptor and used old Bjorn as my mortis this time but those guys will be build next time i run this. It was awesome...

Edited by FearPeteySodes

Haha yea I assume they're US only, I can't imagine anywhere else having the the same lack of good taste lol.

I really only airbrush a basecoat on my stuff. MY airbrush is kinda garbage, it was the cheapest one i could get. I really just wanted it for laying down smooth bases. I'll also use it a bit for stuff like the scorching on the drop pods but im using a "streak stencil" i made since the damn thing is so imprecise. 

Brush for life.

Lol, okay.. Just cos nobody else has heard of them doesnt make them bad... Just unique :D

I was gonna pick your brains as my airbrush keeps fouling up.

Its a dual action so I take time not to release the trigger before pushing it forward (to stop paint going back up the air path, but it still keeps blocking. I was wondering if my psi was too low (15-20) or was thinning my paint too much so it was coating and drying the tip... Its becoming a pain having to fully strip the brush every 10 minutes.

And I am using my brush the same as you base coats and rough highlights:)

Yea i have the same issues a lot, but it sounds like we're doing the same stuff. One thing i sarted doing was keeping an old toothbrush clamped next to my "booth" (ahem cardboard box with a hole cut out for light). I give the brush a quick scrub if the flow is being wierd to clean the tip. Thats helped a bit for now. 

oh, that is a shorter, meatier looking spear then i imagined in my head. looks great, it'll serve fine, i think

Glad it works better for your imagination! To your earlier point, I definitely wasn't going to give him a pike-like pokey stick, definitely needed something that could cleave!

This dread is coming along nicely.

Really great job on the spear. It's nice to see a different type of weapon used.

Lovely yin-yang with the void wolves on the shield.

The dreadnought army looks like a load of fun to play. Not so many models to move all the time. I recently tried out a dread mob (Orks) which was a load of fun. Shooting was BS though.