Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

This was not today,but this past saturday,,my all foot guard went up against a multi formation guard army ,,,my 2 conscript squads held up 4 bulgran squads,killing several and a lord commisar,,,,,and my opponent also  shot a nuke at me on turn two,it deviated, only hitting 8 troopers,,,mind you my guard army is close to 200 men strong,so it is a prime target for pie plates,,,,,he only killed 7,,the 8th actually passed his ld check   

My troops with allied Elysian detachment were engaged in training battle with Black Templars chapter during 'Back To School' teachings. My forces consisted of 1 CCS with all advisors and Chimera, 30-men platoon with 3 lascannon teams and autocannon PCS, two psyckers accompanied by a comissar (and it was very wise as those witches got some troubles with their tricks during the action and were delt with properly), two plasmavets in Chimeras, ADL with quad-gun, Exterminator with multy-melta sponsons and las cannon and a vyvern to finish it. Elysians brought two squads of veterans with meltas and meltabombs and a Command squad with long range scanner. I was opposed by force guided by Honorable Chaplain Grimaldus who led 2 crusader squads, a Catselan, a squad of Honour guard and (oh those new codex fans) squad of devastators coming in drop pod. Victory condition was kill points. And it was finished on turn 5 as an arbiter rolled 1 for turn 6. At that point we were loosing 1 kill point, all opposing transports were destroyed and last templars squad was standing in point blank range infront of my platoon. So i suppose the battle was stopped to save the Honorable chapter from disgrace.

Results of the teachings:

Elysian trooper's commander got a promotion and all participated troopers were given a dose of amasec for their great perfomance (destroyed 1 land raider, immobilised another, 'killed' The Chaplain and his squad before being destroyed in close combat by a crusader squad and honour guards.

Tank crew was prescribed to get additional shooting training as their results were rather poor (leman russ gunners were unable to mark a landraider as destroyed for 3 shooting phases)

Wyvern range finding optics were sent to regimental engineseer for making rites of calibration as long as 50% of shots were missed
Lascannon teams' gunners and spotters were given 'Marksman' badges as long as they managed to 'destroy' a razorback of Grimaldus at maximum distance on turn 1 when it was still dark.

Chimeras crews and Veterans results were found satisfactory.

• 2 weeks later...

TMIG I almost finished another Russ, should be done by Friday.

In the 2 weeks worth of painting sessions it's taken me to do this russ, even from a rolling start of fully assembled and primed, my friend has painted and based 500 points of skitarii to an above tabletop standard.  Im so slow it's not funny.
I also made a list of everything I've painted in the last 2 odd years with my guard, at this rate ill be finished in another 8 years.

Leman Russ (FW) magnetized Vanquisher/Exterminator/BT

Leman Russ (FW) magnetized Vanquisher/Exterminator/BT

Leman Russ (FW) Executioner
Leman Russ (GW) Eradicator

Leman Russ (GW) Eradicator

Manticore (currently in a Dettol bath)

Wyvern (half finished)

Chimera w/AC

Chimera w/ML

3 Drop Sentinels (currently in a Dettol bath)

Melta Command squad

Veteran squad (plasma grenadiers)
Veteran squad (shotgun and flamer grenadiers)

Veteran squad (sniper and lascannon forward sentries)

Scion command squad

Scion squad

Commissar

MoO

Vindicare Assassin

Callidus Assassin

Culexus Assasin

Valkyrie Vendetta

Priest w/ plasma

Tauros Venator
3 Bullgryns

Leman Russ (GW) Punisher w/ pask
Leman Russ (FW) Demolisher

On the upside pretty much everything is assembled and primed, so I can be play testing it as I go.

Painting can be a chore but best not turn it into one

With my new RG scheme its going to drive me nuts painting that camo so I decided I will get everything to a minimum 3 colour standard first then slowly get the camo on each done.

Break stuff down into manageable steps. The more you do the more short cuts you will pick up. Batch painting is always helpful too.

Need some pics now! ;)

I usually don't find it a chore, but breaking it up and taking it one step at a time is key, you're right.  It's a big task but im relishing it.  It's just with full time work and uni and other projects I really only get every second Friday night to paint and/or game, and im perfectionistic to the point where ive repainted some things three times before Im happy with them, I've gotta lose that. 

I might take a whole army shot this Friday.

Today I had a friendly game against some traitorous Dark Angels with my semi competitive list I want to take to a tournament next month.

The guy was a newbie so his list wasn't particularly optimized (not that mines particularly competitive either). He had 2 10 man tac squads, 5 man sniper scouts, devastators, bikes, assault marines, 3 dreadnoughts and a contemptor dreadnought, as well as a rhino.

My list is posted in my Mordian glory thread.

We played maelstrom mission 5.

I lucked out with scoring and he was still learning the ropes. He also hadn't encountered wyvrens before. So he quickly learnt that lessons 2 tactical squads and a Devastator squad later...

Anyhow it was a white wash he didn't play aggressively enough. He couldn't even cross the midway point playing dawn of war.

Highlight of the game though:

An infantry squad which had charged his remaining tactical squad with WL chaplain and lost combat (for the hell of it, I had all but won at this point). Fell back and regrouped. The next game turn he decided to charge the remaining 5 guardsmen. Slew 4 of them. The plucky 5th game right up to the scum and slammed his rifle butt straight in his face slaying him! Promotions ensued, the squad sgt having died in the first encounter and challenge. (The chaplain was on its last wound when he charged).

• 3 weeks later...

Played a 1000pt doubles game on Friday night.

Elements of the 189th Tebessan Expeditionary Force, reinforced by a pair of mechanized Imperial Fists tactical squads and devastators faced off against a hoard of traitorous guard in the form of blob squads and conscripts supported by a Wyvern and the imposing silhouette of a Leman Russ executioner (which looked disturbingly familiar to some of my older veterans, having had it's original tan drab hastily painted over in brown camo with lurid orange and purple highlights).  Marching along side the traitors was an enemy not yet encountered by my forces, 2 squads of Skitarii Vanguard, a neutron laser armed Dunecrawler and a Tech-Priest Dominus.

I brought 2 squads of vets on foot (cover camping sniper/las cannon forward sentries and shotgun/flamer grenadiers)

Bare bones CCS with my auto-take Master of Ordnance

3 Bullgryns

Tauros Venator with las cannons

It was an interesting game for me, being the first time I'd faced heavy armour without any of my own, glancing front armour on 5+ with a lascannon, I became aware how much I have been taking my AV14 for granted.

My bullgryns were a silly choice for a 500 point-per-person game, and they did not do much except draw fire.  I was hoping they'd get amongst some skitarii or conscripts and shine the way they did against the tyranids in CC in my last game, but it was not to be, they failed a leadership test early on and almost walked off the table.  Same story with my shotgun vets who never got into flamer range.

Highlights were my lascannon team 1-shotting the Tech Priest Dominus in the first turn, I feel really bad about that as it was my Admech friend's first ever game.  Surely that thing has eternal warrior or something?  How is that even possible? Maybe we did something wrong.

Also me making a reckless call with my MoO firing on the traitor Russ, which my team mate begged me not to do as his marines were close-by, preparing to charge.  I looked him in the eye and rolled scatter, only to drop my danger-close pie plate directly onto my ally's HQ, rhino and tactical squad.  Luckily it only took the last HP off the rhino and wiped 2 tactical marines, leaving his 180 point commander unscathed, but the good-will between battle brothers was gone forever.  Trash-talk ensued. So good.

My Tauros also took out the dunecrawler eventually, which was cool.

Overall we won, but I feel I didn't play especially well. I'm still pretty inexperienced and make so many stupid errors of judgment.  It's all fun though.

Our group's next game will be a 4v1 2000 point bloodbath: 500pts each of my armour, my friend's blob infantry, skitarii and tau, vs 2000 points of tyranids, we're super psyched for it, but man he's gonna bring a lot of monstrous creatures.  I've learnt from my last engagement to focus fire on them one at a time, rather than trying to wage the war of attrition against T6, 6W MC's.  Either way we're probably gonna lose, as the nids player is a fair bit more experienced than all of us combined, but the board is gonna look so cinematic.

Plasmacutioners do well for anti TEQ/MC/GMC duties, especially if you can mitigate the gets hot.

Prescience from a psyker or PE from pask or the relic if your friends are ok with you rerolling get hots wih PE.

I made some off hand remark about the PE no longer applying to gets hot FAQ and none of my mates had heard of it. Now we're all playing by that rule.  Damn, should have kept my mouth shut haha.

I guess in the spirit of the rule it's probably good it's been fixed, I don't see how a character's particular feelings of dislike towards a particular race could prevent them and their wingman's plasma weapons from overheating, however it could conceivably make them slightly more prone to hitting their targets maybe. 

With blast plasma weapons, gets hot roll is meant to be done before rolling to hit anyway isn't it? If so, how was PE ever stretched to give rerolls on that?  Not trying to sound like Im on my high horse, just thinking aloud really. Of course I was among the masses who used to run Pask with an executioner buddy for exactly this rule.

I finished the second leg sculpt for my Squat scouts (Mantic Forgefathers), ready for press moulding into six pairs of legs :)

(Although they count as Marine Scouts, they are part of my Astra Militarum army). 

When they are assembled, they will look a bit like this (just with different leg poses):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/Squat%20Scouts/SquatScoutWIP8_zpsohhmcgsu.jpg

Press moulding begins tonight :)

I made some off hand remark about the PE no longer applying to gets hot FAQ and none of my mates had heard of it. Now we're all playing by that rule.  Damn, should have kept my mouth shut haha.

I guess in the spirit of the rule it's probably good it's been fixed, I don't see how a character's particular feelings of dislike towards a particular race could prevent them and their wingman's plasma weapons from overheating, however it could conceivably make them slightly more prone to hitting their targets maybe. 

With blast plasma weapons, gets hot roll is meant to be done before rolling to hit anyway isn't it? If so, how was PE ever stretched to give rerolls on that?  Not trying to sound like Im on my high horse, just thinking aloud really. Of course I was among the masses who used to run Pask with an executioner buddy for exactly this rule.

The wording in the rule book is pretty misleading. I've dropped the Executioner since the FAQ was brought out as we're playing them as official rules in the local GW. I can't remember what the ruling was off the top of my head, but there is a section on blast/template weapons that could be twisted to work in the shooter's favour. I always found the Executioner a little unreliable anyway, and switching to an Exterminator with heavy bolters all round has still be effective.

Today,I am feeling my inner tred head,,,and eye balling my armed company,,,and while I usually field a horde list,via a napoleonic themed guard army,my shadow sword is calling to me,so im working on detailing it abit,,,,is there still a viable armour corp we can field?

Today i bought the plywood that will be the base of my armies on parade board. I then realised two things.

1. A 2ft by 2ft board isnt that big

2. A skyshield pad is massive.

Think im going to have to rethink this design.

On a positive painting note i got 5 guards to an almost finished standard. Just need to detail them now.

Edited by UltraRich

Today my IG (AM)... Won by the largest landslide victory I've ever experienced. Small 1,000pt game against DA. I was running Pask in a Punisher with an Exterminator buddy (Heavy Bolters all round), 2x Melta Vets in Chimeras, 2x Wyvern, and a Basilisk. My opponent was running MSU DA with a jump Chaplain, Lascannon Devs and a Dreadnought in a Drop Pod. 

I've never seen so many 1s rolled by anyone before. The game came to an end at turn five as I'd completely tabled the DA, only taking two hull points in return. Didn't lose a single model in the game. Also scored 8-3 on objectives having only score 1 by turn 3 myself. Not really a fun game as it was so one sided, but good to know I can still wreck face with a mech-guard list.