The Berserkers of Uran - a thread from the past

Raktra

Most times I've seen them they've been with one or two missile launchers (depending on squad size), usually with Jump Packs, though occasionally in a Rhino. That way they can move forwards to support an assault unit with their Rad Grenades, but still provide fire support with their launchers.

The problem is is that they are just too expensive for what they provide, if you want a support unit Vets with Missiles and Sniper are probably better (or Quad Launcher Rapiers) and if you want to supplement an assault then a Forgelord with Rad Grenades is cheaper and usually deals more damage too.

Well I suppose it depends on what you want to emphasise with the Rite. I think that changing the units around along with something like army-wide fear (would make for a nice combo with the Berserkers' immunity to fear) and an 'upgrade' option that is similar to the World Eaters Inductii (+S,-BS,FNP[6+],no scoring,IC may not join,don't lose VP for losing unit) would make for a pretty good rite of war. It would just be a case of finding some reasonable balances for the benefits.

Must have less vehicles than infantry units is an option, obviously no Librarians at that point. Must have a unit of Wretched/Architects as well as the usual compulsories... What else?

Perhaps making allied detachments one level lower than normal. So Sworn Brothers become Fellow Warriors... etc. Or prohibiting them outright, as I think most would be put off by the Berserkers' tactics and the Old Blood users/victims :P Are you still planning on having the Desolist Consul as an option? If so then perhaps they could be an extra compulsory HQ.

I don't think you need use all of them, but this way you have some options to choose from.

Hehe. Fair enough. I wasn't sure if you might like one option that let you take from your limited selection of allies :P

By my count you have one free slot left to fill to complete your legion rules. Any thoughts/plans on how you will fill it?

My list is:

• 2 characters (Riktus Innorvak, Kehl Dorhak)
  • 3 units (Milewalkers, The Architects, Wretched)
  • 2 Wargear (Impact Thrusters, Hell's Teeth)

That makes 7, so normally 2 left, but Raktra traded one character slot for an additional Rite of War. So only one slot remaining, which could go to any of the three categories.

Oh and I just noticed that the Berserkers don't have a Relic listed currently either.

Yeah, I really should :p The Relic I was stuck on, torn between either a weapon of maximum :cuss, or some kind of hyper-steroid made from Old Blood like Bane's Venom tanks in Batman. I could make an additional weapon for the final "legion choices" slot, God knows what though.

For the later berserkers a drug won during the blood crusade would be cool.

New Blood for the Old Blood^^

The whole bloodshed committed.during the blood crusade by the hands.of the berserkers.of uran concentrated in one pill, infused with khornes power and the bodies of billion dead people give ws+1, + 2 S + 1 A, but it could lead to a berserker insanity. If a t-2 test is failed the char using that relic attacks the closest unit even if it is a friend ( some kind of artificial Khârn^^)

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I think that a sort of 'supercharger' relic might make for an interesting theme. Perhaps even a single use item that boosts prowess for one pivotal combst phase, but then has negative after effects? It would then be a case of picking just the right time to use it.

As for your final slot I have to say I feel like it should be another unit, because it feels to me as if the Berserkers place more emphasis on boys than on toys. I'm not 100% on what it could be though. Perhaps ones who are more capable of seeing an enemy's weaknesses than most, or ones who focus on putting down the enemy in the most brutal and efficient ways possible?

I could make Blood Boilers an actual thing. Another idea I had (because I want the models) would be some kind of Ogryn-based unit. Inductees enhanced/royally screwed with by the Legion apothecarion to make total monstrosities even prior to Old Blood. Although I worry that I'm making too many beatsticks and beasts.

So, would We Go Further just not be useful for the amount of points it'd cost? At least for fluff, I'm picturing the Blood Boilers as essentially having all the units that most Chapters/insert formation here boast, but being able to equip them with Destroyer weaponry.

I think we need units that'll highlight the tactical sense of the Berserkers

Edited by bluntblade

Yeah. I'd probably steer clear of any more Old Blood related units as you've already got 2 units with that background, I feel another unit of 'regular' astartes would be a better fit. I did think that a unit that brutally maims their enemies and then holds them up to terrify whoever is left would fit right in.

Yeah. I was thinking some kind of two-handed weapon, flails would be cool. Fear is a nice mechanic, but tricky to implement out of combat in that way. Perhaps they could get some kind of combat resolution bonus for killing enemies in a challenge? Or impose a negative modifier to fear checks they cause next round?

Updated the front page with a draft for Riktus, post-Blooding. I know he's horrifically killy, near-Primarch levels, but I'm aiming high first at the minute. I'll draft out some versions of the Terminator unit tonight.