The Berserkers of Uran - a thread from the past

Raktra

Yeah, I couldn't think of a better title at the time. So I'm open to fitting names!

Some ideas I had for arm-swap weapon options when talking with Talonair earlier:

Phosphex discharger

Irradiation engine

Rad missile launcher

Couldn't think of any other rad-themed weapons at the time, and I don't wanna make yet another unique piece of wargear for simplicity's sake.

Some options for names: Haemoionic Talons, Geigorian Talons, Claws of Cherenkov.

Basing them off stuff do with radiation, if I come up with anymore I'll let you know.

You could steal the Dark Angels Acid-Heavy Bolter rounds for this particular unit?

Some options for names: Haemoionic Talons, Geigorian Talons, Claws of Cherenkov.

Basing them off stuff do with radiation, if I come up with anymore I'll let you know.

You could steal the Dark Angels Acid-Heavy Bolter rounds for this particular unit?

We have discussed this, along with alkaline-laced bolter rounds that will react violently with the victim's insides

Which I might (if allowed) make a more available option. Possibly for the We Go Further RoW.

Okay, so for limb options we've the missile launcher, engine, discharger, and special bolt rounds. Throw in the typical dread options like extra armour etc and I reckon that's enough. Cost-wise, anyone got any opinions? I was thinking about 175 at the most, given how overcosted contemptors are normally and the relative ease at which these ones die.

Desolator-Class Contemptor Dreadnought

WS:5 BS:4 S:7 F:13 S:11 R:10 I:3 A:4* HP:3

Unit Composition

• 1-3 Desolator-Class Contemptor Dreadnoughts

​Unit type

• Vehicle (Walker)

Wargear

• Two Geigorian talons (with built-in rad-cleansers)*
  • Rad furnace

*The bonus attack for these weapons is included above

Special Rules

• Dreadnought Talon
  • Atomantic Shielding
  • Nuclear Overcharge
  • Wracked with Corrosion
  • Fleet
  • Move Through Cover

Dedicated Transport
A Desolator-class Contemptor Talon consisting of one model may take a Dreadnought Drop Pod as a dedicated transport

Geigorian talons: S+1, melee, sunder, rad-phage

Nuclear Overcharge: This model causes D3 Hammer of Wrath hits rather than 1. This rule also provides the same benefits as Atomantic Overcharge, but also allows the Dreadnought to perform the following special attack:
- Rad-purge: In place of attacking in melee, the dreadnought may place a large blast marker centered over itself at initiative step 1. Any non-vehicle model (friend or foe) takes a hit with the following profile: S:4 AP:3 fleshbane, rad-phage. Use of this attack will cause a further roll to see if it loses a hull point in the same manner as the Atomantic Overcharge rule.

Wracked with Corrosion: Attacks of S8 or higher reduce the invulnerable save provided by Atomantic Shielding by 1 (this may remove it entirely in melee). Rolls on the vehicle damage chart against this model have a +1 modifier, in addition to any others. This model must always make sweeping advances, can never score, and must charge the closest enemy unit possible.

Options

Any model in the talon may replace one or both of its Geigorian talons and built-in rad cleanser for one of the following:

• Twin-linked heavy bolter with molecular acid shells - Free
  • Phosphex discharger - +10pts
  • Missile launcher (with krak and rad missiles) - +15pts
  • Irradiation engine - +15pts

Any model in the talon may take:

• Extra armour +5pts each
  • Smoke launchers +5pts each

Well well?

Edited by Raktra

Something I've been writing up after a talk with Raktra in which we discussed how a meeting between the 'serkers and the Abyssii would go down.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Fabricator-General, Astartes ships inbound, attack formation. Identity; Berserkers of Uran. Rousing weapon spirits."

"Stand down, Magos. The Berserkers do not intend us harm, this is just an idiosyncrasy of their legion. Hail the flagship as soon as we are in range, I doubt they come here for idle conversation." Mortera rose from the command throne on the bridge of the Glory of Summer, the venerable Ark in orbit above a world recently brought into the fold of the Imperium. An immensely successful effort, not a single shot had been fired on the planet itself, and the leaders responded well to Mortera's diplomacy. The destruction of the local pirates' asteroid base by the Glory of Summer awed the rest of the populace into compliance, and the fleet was taking the opportunity to perform minor repairs. "Let us see what the children of the Skyhunter want of us."

Riktus Innorvak considered the display before him in silence as his fleet moved into orbit tandem to the Taghmata ships. "They have nerve or arrogance in great supply." Growled a bridge officer. "They don't even prepare their weapons batteries at our arrival."

"Do you plan on attacking them, Centurion?" Riktus turned to glower at the out-spoken officer. "We are here to parlay, not to antagonise."

"Parlay? We are the Bersekers of Uran, since when did we parlay? We know they have what we need, we should demand they supply us! They are just Tech-Priests!"

"These are no normal Tech-Priests." Riktus turned back to his display as the Ark hailed them.

The relative peace of the system was shattered by the Berserkers' arrival, the fleet bullying their way into orbit, forcing the local ships to alter their trajectories to avoid collision. "They are responding to our hail, Fabricator-General. Audio only."

"Patch them through." A brief binaric burst told Mortera she was now broadcasting to the flagship. "This is Fabricator-General of Nox Mortera Nagathiir, broadcasting from the Glory of Summer. Please identify."

"This is Dominator Riktus Innorvak of the Berserkers of Uran. I seek a trade agreement with the Mechanicum Abyssii. I will be dispatching a landing craft to the surface of this planet to discuss the terms of the trade." With that, he terminated the connection.

"Crafty." Mortera considered the Berserkers fleet, sensors tracking the launch of a Thunderhawk from their flagship.

"Fabricator-General?"

"They have forced us into the discussion, this planet peacefully agreed to the rule of the Imperium, and it would be unfortunate if the vision of the Crusade we painted were to be disrupted by the Berserkers without someone there to mediate the discussion. Is my lander ready?"

"Yes, Fabricator-General."

"I will be leaving immediately. Magos Vultris, you have the bridge." She transferred over a noo-key, a lesser seal of authority used amongst the Mechanicum, granting its bearer limited authority under the auspices of a higher ranking Magos, typically with very specific terms. In this case, the noo-key granted Magos Vultris access to the fleet-wide communications network and command authority over the crew of the Glory of Summer for a period of twenty four hours or until Mortera's return. Magos Vultris on his part replied with a quick burst of binary before taking the now-vacant position on the command dais, snaking probes interfacing with the console before him.

"Generatorium, report status." Mortera left her appointed deputy to his duties as she left the bridge, making with haste to the Ark's mag-rail system.

On the planet itself the Thunderhawk Tormentor's Grasp, a macabre craft adorned with images of skulls and chains, had set down in a large park in what was in the process of formally becoming the planetary capital. Even before the craft had set down, the Bersekers were stepping off the ramp, swiftly forming a defensive perimeter. The Destroyers of the Berserkers of Uran struck a terrifying image, the locals dissuaded from approaching the off-world arrivals by their intimidating presence. "Where are they?" One shifted with impatience, hand resting on the grip of his knife, the other clenched into a fist by his side.

"They are on their way." Riktus slowly looked around, surveying the scene before him, wary as ever. His Destroyers shared his wariness, steadily prowling around their perimeter, hands on weapons, all of them tense like coiled springs, ready to unwind into sudden violence at the slightest provocation. The only member of the Berserkers' delegation who didn't seem ready to inflict massive injury was their Remembrancer, quietly taking notes at Riktus' side.

"Dominator, incoming aircraft." The pilot of the Thunderhawk alerted Riktus. "IFF tag reads Abyssii, estimate three minutes to arrival."

"Copy that, pilot, continue tracking them." He tapped the side of his helmet, switching over to the delegation's vox-net. "The Abyssii are inbound, clear a landing zone for them." At that order, three Berserkers peeled away to clear some braver locals from the area to make room for Mortera's lander.

"You are sure your offer will be enough for them?" The retinue's Moritat stepped closer to Riktus to speak more privately, the skull-masked Astarte watching the skies.

"It will be." Riktus glanced at him before going back to watching the local populace.

"The Berserkers have established a perimeter, Fabricator-General." Mortera glanced at the display, picking out the Berserkers already planet-side.

"I trust they haven't begun laying waste to the city?"

"Affirmative, Fabricator-General." The pilot returned to his calculations, plotting a landing site.

"I do not understand why we allow them to dictate the terms of this meeting." Growled Magos Jagrus from beside her, his axe crackling with energy in his frustration. "And why we humour them in this way."

"The Berserkers are an oddity amongst the legions. They strongly object to working to anyone's schedule but their own, and if left to their own devices are something of an accident waiting for someone to happen to."

"I do not understand."

"They are, ultimately, controlled savagery in as close to its purest form we are likely to see, barring the Priests of the Ordo Reductor, and I estimate a sixty three percent probability that if we do not humour them they will direct their attention on the local populace. We were able to peacefully integrate this world with the Imperium and I will not see that effort tarnished."

"I understand now." Jagrus quelled his frustration. "Then we are here as a show of force?" He took a moment to look around the interior of the lander. Mortera's delegation included her personal cohort, the Custos Prime, along with a Magos Reductor, and a pair of Tech-Priests to observe the meeting.

"You are here as my bodyguard, and part of that duty is to be a show of force." A slight smirk, an abnormally human gesture, graced her lips for a second. "But yes, your primary duty during this meeting will be a demonstration of our strength. They may have forced the terms of the meeting, but your presence will dissuade them from trying to leverage violence to cheat us out of a fair deal."

"You believe they would?"

"I am simply prepared for that eventuality. Though it must be said, if any Legion would try it, I suspect it would be the Berserkers."

"We are landing now, Fabricator-General." The Myrmidon Custos roused themselves, falling into formation swiftly despite their bulk, Mortera positioned in the middle of them. The lander set down smoothly, and the ramp dropped.

Riktus watched the Abyssii lander circle the landing site once, before it set down gently two dozen meters from his Thunderhawk. He began walking to their lander, flanked by a squad of Destroyers, the others maintaining the perimeter, as the ramp lowered. Nine hulking Tech-Priests marched off the lander, each one bearing a massive cog-toothed axe, additional arms bearing two semi-circular shields, a third augmetic arm terminating in an arcane weapon of the Mechanicum. Amongst them was the figure of Mortera, a serene, robed human woman, hands clasped before her chest, suspended above the ground by her upper back by the mechanical structure emerging from behind her, the array bringing to mind images of spiders and centipedes. Behind this cohort came three other Priests, a black-robed Magos and two white-robed Tech-Priests bearing data-slates.

"Fabricator-General Mortera Nagathiir." Riktus greeted the delegation, removing his helmet and stopping a few meters from her. The Myrmidons fanned out, taking position as Mortera moved forwards once more, augmetics snaking along the ground. He took a moment to examine her, using the gift of his legion to pick out her weaknesses. What he saw puzzled him; there were certainly weaknesses present, but they were inconsistent. Her internal anatomy appeared to be in constant motion, augmetics beneath the surface rearranging in subtle ways. Certainly one method of compensating for unavoidable weaknesses.

"Dominator Riktus Innorvak." She lowered herself to the ground, stepping barefoot onto the grass. "I understand you wish to negotiate a trade agreement?"

"That is correct." His Destroyers stepped back a pace, forming a semi-circular formation behind Riktus, mirroring the Myrmidons.

"And what do the Bersekers of Uran need of us?"

"Put simply, war materiel. We have near exhausted our supply of rad-weaponry, along with out Phosphex stores and much of our chemical weapons."

"And you would like for us to replenish your stores? What would we gain in return?" Riktus bristled briefly, but restrained himself. It was a fair question, the Berserkers wouldn't show charity either.

"I understand the Priests of your order highly price rediscovered technology? I offer you the next repository of archaeotech we discover." Mortera took a brief moment to confer with her delegation, the secrets of their tongue indecipherable to anyone outside their order, and Riktus noted that many of his Destroyers were no longer gripping their weapons, their hands straying away from their weapons as they stood at an approximation of parade rest.

"This offer is agreeable. Based on our estimates from your fleet size and the typical operational duration exhibited by the Berserkers of Uran, we will be able to fully replenish your stores. My tech-priests are already packing the weapons. Will you permit our shuttles to enter your hangars to deliver them?"

"I will."

"Excellent. I believe normal convention is to shake upon an agreement." She extended a hand towards him. Riktus eyed the hand warily for a moment before shaking with his gauntleted hand, feeling no compulsion to squeeze the offered hand to intimidate its owner. "The agreement is sealed, then. My shuttles will be undocking in thirty minutes. If you have no objections, I would greatly like to take this time to discuss our approaches to warfare." Riktus found, much to his surprise, that he did not object to the idea.

"Very well." The Remembrancer behind him could barely contain his astonishment, forgetting his duties for but a moment before hastily returning to his writing.

"I am glad. My first query is, in fact, about your own tactics..."

Just one thing - Innorvak will have his claws, which won't preclude handshakes but will make things awkward. As with Horus and Mortarion shaking, it's an image that's worth remarking on, as it should stick in the reader's mind

• 2 weeks later...