Soldier of Dorn

Oh! I was convinced it was failing a vow two months in a row. Seeing as I did indeed finish the Leviathan in December, I indeed cannot be disqualified! I'm happy I was wrong and I'll take it. Thanks, Eidolon!

HURRAY!

I'm Bahaaaaaack! biggrin.png

And with that, I'll vow for February to finish the Typhon and two additional Drop Pods - because hey, those Devastators need rides!

(See? I did actually prime the Typhon)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpshwww3zfm.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zps6pbzljwz.jpg

Gentlemen ... HOLD THE LINE!!!

It's been a bumpy ride for most if not all of us at one point or another and we still have a long road ahead of us. Physical hardship, emotional turmoil and failing bodies but to name a few of the test members of our intrepid group have endured. Seeing the group support each other through these times makes this journey all the more special.

So I call out once more ... HOLD THE LINE!!!

Well refreshed from my hiatus month I am eager and ready to get back into this.  I am still short black spray paint but issues at work and at home had meant that I have no money to buy it anyway.  Hopefully things will improve in the next week or so but I shall commit forces to this month none the less:

I submit for the month of Feb: 

Captain Yric Barthelon: Artificer Armour, Auspex, Plasma Pistol, Gorgons Chain and Thunder Hammer

His Command Squad: Standard, Apothecary, Champion, 2x Storm shields

This comes to 445pts.

If and when I complete these guys I hope to throw in a five man Tactical Squad as well but will see how I go.

On the participant front, we seem to have gone from twenty down to about five active people.  Even our illustrious leader Psycho seems to have vanished.  Its a bit disappointing but not unexpected.  For those whom are still pushing on, great job guys.  I am loving some of the work coming out of this and its good to see the camaraderie that has come from it.  Keep up the good work.  Sorry I am not around to comment more but I am a definite lurker and I am always checking out what you guys are producing.

Well i wish i coukd say ive stayed motivated but the truth is..... ive been to busy working training the pup and drinking and have nothing to show currently.

Im about to start 4 weeks of night shift at the RAAF base doing runway extensions so this month i literally have no time to paint

Auggy- congrats on moving forward in you healing process and for staying on board with us as we power through a bunch of painting!!

1k eyes- drop pods I've found to either go together with ease or flail insidiously!;)... honestly I just glue the darn doors shut usually although I have a DDP for my Levi I'm going to see about magnetising.

SW1- the line is held

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/Default75/IMG_4643_zpsxx7pjngl.jpg

Bro sp- continue in the mission as given no matter the dark comms... we know what we need to do!;)

Kurama- hope yer pup is outta the teething stage or maybe those fosters are to help dull the pain in yer fingers:). Hope the night shift extensions gets you a lil $ cushion for the coming resin storm of Inferno.

For my part I recognize that this thread has seen me accomplish more painting than any other campaign I've taken part in. Yes we seem to have lost some frater but we shall persevere and accomplish our goals.

I've decided that I am going to spend this event painting up an armies worth of dudes as I laid out in my initial bid. I've restructured my army idea but the concept is still primary. Siege of Terra Fists at the core and I am painting the glorious yellow at a good clip. I hope to get the majority of my list painted and then seal it all at once, decal and then weather the whole army to a battered and war torn state and appearance.

My hope is to continue this momentum and work on my terrain tile to have a super sweet entry for AoP this year.

Today will see me trying to put GWS paints through the airbrush.

I've got a bunch of Bloodbowl models (11 full teams worth) to trial on when my brother comes over this morning.

Of it works as I want the DW will be blasted through with the airbrush this month. It's now going to be a sprint to the finish as by the end of this challenge I want a clear desk ready for ETL and a Legion of Wolves.

Couple of days late but here are the completed Cerastus trio (Acheron and Castigator for this month)...

gallery_81212_9961_782399.jpg

Pretty happy with these guys so far!

On the topic of the Tale participants I am really surprised at the lack of attendance, especially from the organizer. I don't mean to sound bashful, but it is kind of appaling.

Augustus I see no reason for you to be disqualified, as has already been said by others, you are one of a handful that regularly posts and delivers finished work (of the highest standard aswell).

To everyone else, keep up the good work!

For this month I vow to assemble, prime and paint a Cerastus-Atrapos chassis.

Augustus how do you find putting together and painting drop pods? A lot of people seem to complain about it. As a Chaos player I am just jealous of them.

The putting together is fairly easy, although with about 60 individual parts a bit convoluted. You have to take care to have every piece actually glued before moving on to the next one, and it'll be fine. If you don't, it won't. I screwed up my first one, where the engine parts was pulled down a couple mm through force of gravity. But generally, it's just a matter of doing the doors, fitting them on the base, glueing on the interior harnesses, then doing the vertical flap/struts and the engine (first glue two neighbouring ones to the base, then glue the engine block to those, then glue the one across to the base and the engine. You can then glue in the two remaining ones.). I put together those two in about two hours. 

Painting them, though, is a whole different matter. Those horror stories are true. Not that it is difficult, it's just very boring. It's not a particularly interesting vehicle, and the detail inside is complex, but brush-blocking. In addition, my yellow requires a white undercoat, while my metal (which will be the entire inside) requires a black undercoat. So yeah. I guess masking tape is your friend? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So no need to be jealous, except for the fact that CSM still cannot take them. I still have dreams of podding Plague Marines.

:tu: 

Oh! I was convinced it was failing a vow two months in a row. Seeing as I did indeed finish the Leviathan in December, I indeed cannot be disqualified! I'm happy I was wrong and I'll take it. Thanks, Eidolon!

HURRAY!

I'm Bahaaaaaack! biggrin.png

Without having too much of a bromance, I am glad you are still in the group, I've been a big fan of your Night Lords, took a lot of inspiration from them. I'd have done more NL myself, but I got sidetracked.....

Eidolon’s Weekly Update (Week 18)

Folks,

Well time is flying by and the progress isn’t really going very well, partly due to hobby butterfly syndrome, the bit of hobby fatigue and real life. So another declaration of failure for this month.

Review of Last Week.

I pretty much knew the Contemptor was wishful thinking at the start of the month; I really wasn’t feeling the love for magnetizing it all, like the last one and the Deredeo! I’ve still done all the body and legs which are the bits that don’t need too much effort on the magnet front, so it shouldn’t damage the painted parts. I just need to do the final detailings of the bling and etched brass, but that can wait till it’s all assembled.

Ancient Kurama is pretty much done – bar the missle launcher, which only arrived today. I’ve taken the gloss coat off now, so its significantly less glary in photos now than it was in the previews. I am going to use some Vallejo Liquid gold to get the golds to really shine. I am just pondering what colours to paint the cabling for the weapons. I had really hoped to finish him before the deadline, but I had a few issues with the chrome paint which put things back!

http://i68.tinypic.com/10prqpt.jpg

]http://i68.tinypic.com/mhasdi.jpg

Bit miffed with the pics, the true extent of the pink isn’t showing through in the pics, and the chrome paint isn’t nearly as vibrant in real life, but hey ho! I’ll try to take better lit pics when he’s done!

Plans for this Week.

I’m definitely going to get the Deredeo done, then I might think about other things! I really should then start to magnetise the Contemptor!!

Future Prep.

I am still looking to do Loyalty and Treachery event too, so will probably look to do some Cataphractii and my Landraider!

VOW

Hmm, I am going to have to give this some thought! I am thinking a 5 man Veteran Squad, to keep it simple, with a view to later adding a Terminator Command Squad. I am also thinking of doing an Apothecary based on one of Obscura's kit bashes, to pay homage to his participation and in a way see some of his work still being involved!

Ranga: Nice lil knight army there man! Shaping up to be a crisp looking household. Have you considered putting up some heraldry/other on the castigator's leg pads?

LCE: Kurama's coming together nicely :D I'll admit a slight tinge of jealousy towards the nice colour shade and gradients. For the cables maybe a light electric blue or a yellow/black striped?

Brother SP: Damn that's a good looking squad. Especially liking the front left and far right guys. Looking forward ta seeing them all painted :)

Alright, been a rocky past few months, failed most vows in a row, but right now I've utterly and totally lost my drive for the VIIIth legion. Decided to try and give this month a go with something slightly different, with Psycho's go ahead. So this should hopefully go better...

Replacing Moritat (125pts) with a DA Contemptor-Cortus with Chainfist and 2x grav gun (175pts)

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/IMG_20170204_210313_zpshcfm6mif.jpg

Any suggestions for names would be greatly appreciated :)

@Aeternas: Thanks man! Forgeworld has yet to release transfers for my Knights yet which is a shame considering they were made way back in Book 4, so until then they will stay in their boring state.

The DA Contemptor looks sweet btw!

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/IMG_20170204_210313_zpshcfm6mif.jpg

Any suggestions for names would be greatly appreciated :)

Dumah is an angel of silence, vindication and the stillness of death. That pretty much sums up a dreadnaught. Just a thought as most of the Dark Angels have angelic names.

Just had 10 shotguns delivered from bitsofwar. Awesome detail and just what I needed to make my shotgun conversions actually work. I'd been trying to get the scout shotguns to work but they're to puny looking in comparison to the official DW ones on the other marines.

Currently trying to work out how I can do some form of gradient with the airbrush for my black marines.

Slowly coming along... 

Going to try and decrease the amount of drybrushed weathering and increase selective chipping. Still thinking what to do on the left claw housing. Tempted to do a outer rim half red/black or green/black checkered pattern, with latin script on the inner rim half. Not sure. Suggestions?

16427386_1371129102947037_6638735345247216602754_1371129106280370_13224287224115

Slowly coming along...

Going to try and decrease the amount of drybrushed weathering and increase selective chipping. Still thinking what to do on the left claw housing. Tempted to do a outer rim half red/black or green/black checkered pattern, with latin script on the inner rim half. Not sure. Suggestions?

Hidden Content

16427386_1371129102947037_66387353452472

I love the paint job, but the pose... is a bit too dynamic for my taste. To be brutally honest, he reminds me of this stock image:

Hidden Content

businessman-falling-stairs-african-ameri

confused.gif sorry! Feel free to ignore this, but in the interest of getting the best out of each other through constructive feedback, I feel I need to tell you that in my mind, a contemptor just isn't so fast as to warrant that dynamism in his pose. Lord knows I love a dynamic pose for a contemptor, but I don't think it'd even be physically possible for a construct of such weight and size to move as fast as he is doing right now. I don't even think a humanoid could run so fast as to have the upper legs so far apart at any given time, and especially the upper left leg so far back and at that angle to the upper body/pelvis... is it too late to correct his?

Anyway, here's my progress so far:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsnpo5zp29.jpg

Got to second Auggy- our human anatomy does not allow for a running gait with that extension of the upper thigh. Bio mechanically the back thigh would need to come forward at least 40 degrees, the knee could flex a decent amount as it's a hinge joint and I would bring the left thigh forward more with a slight bend in the front knee with a flexed foot as well.

Paint job is fantastic btw and I'm looking forward to seeing it armed and based!

I've been spending time with vehicles- 2 rhinos, my Spartan and the dakka blade.

Busted my phone all to pieces last week and just got it fixed yesterday and should have pics up later

Aeternas, the Contemptor is turning out really nice man, cant wait to see it finished.

Augustus, yet again you have knocked out a sweet paintjob in such a short time, I wish I had your dedication and focus.

As we are a bit over halfway through the Tale how does everyone feel about taking a completed shot of everything so far? I know I personally only have three Knights to show, so nothing interesting there, but most of you have finished up a huge number of infantry and/or vehicles. Just a thought....

I need to take some WIP pics so can take a group shot as well. :)

I've decided to try airbrushing the 4 Assasins. I may have to start over again but it's a big learning curve for me.

Group shots a great idea- have had my phone repaired so I can actually see what's on here now:)

Been distracted by my dakkablade painting....grrrr... darn super heavy I will never field!!!

Will post updated pics of my 2rhinos and Spartan paint update.

Overall I'm feeling positive with my painting to time ratio thus far.

Currently am laying floor in my house so am hour or 2 of painting at midnight has been the most I've been able to fit in. Really enjoying my painting table and am bummed that I will be taking it all apart in a few days to get the flooring put down in that room

Archived