Solar Auxilia Tactica

ChaosReigns

Yes and no. On one hand, you won't have as many AV targets in Zone Mortalis, much less the big flare shielded ceramite AV14 that grav is made to kill.  On the other hand, with the tight corridors you can mire people in difficult terrain. Not sure it's worth the cost for just the latter use.

Yeah it does seem like an expensive trick. I think I might go with something else. Cheers.

I haven't played Zone Mortalis personally so forgive me if this entirely off base but...Tarantulas, with heavy flamers, using forward deployment on choke points would be insanely effective if that's allowed in that game type.  You deploy them as individuals so you could take 2 squads of them with Forward Deployment and Concealment for (270 pts) and that gives you 6 death traps on the board that cannot be fired upon until they themselves fire at least once and lets be honest, overlapping heavy flamers in a mission type that doesn't use heavy vehicles is going to eliminate the approaching men fairly damn quickly. 

Since you're dealing with a heavy flamer template, Sentry Mode is the obvious choice giving them 360 degrees of engagement , allowing you to position them to cover multiple approaching lanes without exposing themselves to long range fire.

I don't have my book in front of me but if you can use forward deployment in Zone Mortalis then I would think that is the way to go to achieve areas of denial on the board.  Just a thought!

• 3 weeks later...

Is anybody else struggling with how Solar Auxilia are supposed to win in zone mortalis? Dreadnoughts just kill me and the only solutions I can find are the occasional meltabomb (and luck) or dragging a rapier with laser destroyer in there (and luck.) Anybody else have any better options? All the legion players around here, the few times zone mortalis comes up, drag dreadnoughts into the hallways.

I suppose it depends on what your plans for him are.

There are some definite bonuses to using MaSade, but what is he going to do for you over and above a typical commander or tactical command squad? 

My army is not standing as of now, I'm currently just making an army list, so most of the stuff is still ahead of me... At the moment I'm just waiting for a Leman Russ incinerator, have 3 test Solar Auxilia minis (power axes, love those guys), and my first bigger buy will be the support cadre from Forgeworld, with the Charonites, 10 Veletaris with Volkites, and a Rapier Quad Multilaser

To make Masade useful, you need to be prepared to use his traits to the fullest advantage. Do you have a melee unit to take advantage of his hatred for traitors? Sounds like yeah, since  you have some axemen. Find two units that can be held in reserves to take advantage of his warlord trait (allowing you to deploy them later and get sweet side shots on turn one from, say, quad mortar rapiers.) Have a unit in mind to try to bring back from the dead. If you're not taking advantage of what he brings over a standard marshal, stick with said standard marshal.

Moar questions:

The Stormlord can have 20 models firing out of the troop bay - but I'm assuming these work only out from the sides due to the "line of sight rules" ? 

Also I can't recall, but does the Tank Commander confer his special rule on the squadron, or his individual tank? I was considering having a Preferred Enemy: Infantry Stormlord firing at BS4 to delete tactical squads. 

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

He confers it to the Individual Tank HOWEVER, if the rule is "A unit with a single model [...]" type deal that gets conferred, say Tank Hunters, then all vehicles in the TC's Squadron would get Tank Hunters.

So in this case, you'd have a PE(I) Super-Heavy Tank, yes.

30 re-rollable BS4 S6 AP3 shots will delete so much MEQ *Slobbers*

Unfortunately my local opponent has moved on, so I may suddenly come up against heavy armour. Fingers are crossed.

Edit: Has anyone considered taking all Lleman Russes? 

I can fit 12 in at 2.5k. 

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

• 3 months later...

So I'm wondering how to expand a solar auxilia army. I'll be doing some minor modifications to my guardsmen to make them look void armored, and modding the kasrkin to be carrying a pattern of volkite charger. That'll give me the ability to field 2 Veletarii Sections, and a Lasrifle Section, a Lord Marshal, a tactical command section, 4 leman russ tanks and 2 thunderbolts.

I plan on getting 2 dracosans and a 5th russ (demolisher kit) to round things out.

What I'm not certain of, is the elites section of the army. Is the Engineseer Auxilia worth taking? He can open up the Castellax as a heavy support choice, which I really like the model for.

Are Ogryn Charonites any good? Should I take them?

The base army list I can make feels adequate, but I'm not certain, can anyone help?

Regular Malcador with a Twin Linked Las Cannon, Two Las Cannon Sponsons and a Demolisher Cannon is an effective Tank that is survivable, mobile, and combine a Tri-Las Predator and a Vindicator into one. Thumbs up from me.

Leman Russes can be good though not all are created equal.

Dracosan with Demo Cannon is a very powerful transport...

Edited by Ishagu

I'd probably go for the battlecannon on Malcadors too, but each to their own.

As for other units, the Leman Russ Incinerator looks like pure awesome! Take at least two for +1BS, give it hull- & pintle-mounted multi-lasers, and let rip! Having 4HP and RA11 is a nice bonus over the Fast Attack variants too.

A Lord Marshall can be kitted out to be a decent combat wombat: Paragon blade, power fist, digital lasers, melta bombs, AA, iron halo, Cyber-familiar and a grav-wave generator is 180 points. Take Uncanny Survivor for Eternal Warrior, put him in a Household Retinue Veletaris Squad, and they are WS5 with Preferred Enemy (Infantry). Shroud bombs and the grav-wave generator will hopefully let you get a charge off. Alternatively, take a Stormlord and Ogryn Charonites instead.

For Loyalists, Ireton MaSade is pretty cool. Not nearly as good as a Lord Marshall in combat, but his "Protector of Agathon" rule (provided it works the first time every unit dies) is quite nice.

Also, Since I don't have any transports for my men right now, is foot slogging viable? I have never liked the idea of foot slogging my men up the board, because of how vulnerable it leaves them, but I'm constrained by cash right now.

All my solar aux lists never contained anything from elites, except for maybe sometimes a household guard for the commander, much more interesting choices to spend points on in the fast attack and heavy support slots to be honest. The ogryns, while nice models are somewhat lacking in that they don't have a DT option (correct me if I'm wrong as I no longer play solar) which essentially relegates them to counter assault or foot slogging assault, neither of which are really appealing (well to me at any rate). Enginseers might be worth a look at for support for armour, but taking them to unlock automata is a waste of something better in the heavy slot.

Also. If you don't have vehicles, you can always fortify your guys by taking the defence lines in place of transports