Solar Auxilia Tactica

ChaosReigns

This probably belongs in the Solar Auxilia Tactica thread

- Mods, could we get it moved please? Thanks! :)

Enginseer Auxilia are not bad. The Enginseers (up to 3) can take graviton guns and the Servo-automata can take grenade launchers (with tempest shells). Tempest shells have Haywire, so a maxed out unit has 11 Haywire shots for 250 points. Not a bad anti-tank option! Castellax (and Thallax) are absolutely awesome, so that's another reason to use them, though Supe's right about the Heavy Support options being strong.

Ogryn Charonites are BRUTAL in combat, but they need Leadership. A Lord Marshall on the board (and not in combat or falling back) solves this, or you can just put him in with the Ogryns. They also have only one option for an Assault Transport - the Stormlord - which is a lot of points. Brilliant though. :)

As for Troop transports, Dracosans are very good, but hurt the wallet. If you are using Veletaris Storm Sections with volkite, foot-slogging them is not really going to work very well. Lasrifle Sections are pretty good behind an Aegis Defence Line, as their rifles have 30" range and their 18" S6 blast-chargers are awesome at deterring assaulting enemies.

Edited by Caillum

I'd probably go for the battlecannon on Malcadors too, but each to their own.

A Lord Marshall can be kitted out to be a decent combat wombat: Paragon blade, power fist, digital lasers, melta bombs, AA, iron halo, Cyber-familiar and a grav-wave generator is 180 points. Take Uncanny Survivor for Eternal Warrior, put him in a Household Retinue Veletaris Squad, and they are WS5 with Preferred Enemy (Infantry). Shroud bombs and the grav-wave generator will hopefully let you get a charge off. 

I think the point of the quad las malcador is to take advantage of the unit's extreme speed to get behind enemy armour and reliably pop it. I'd probably take the battlecannon too, if only because it looks cooler and allows to threaten infantry

I was looking at veletaris last night - they can pump out a huge number of power axe attacks whilst being very difficult to charge. I actually think they may have more utility than ogryns as they can actually use transports, something the ogryns really lack in solar. Shame, as the ogryns are awesome models, I'm just not sure how they would be used outside of footslogging.

what do you guys think of the valdor?  I'm kind of torn, I probably have enough cash for a valdor or an infernus, not both. The valdor can reliably shut down heavy armour very quickly, but given the amount of heavy firepower in this army -i'm not sure its warranted?

I am planning on running heavy on the Veletarii, with 2 sections of them to 1 lasrifle section. In the lists I've been toying with I've been taking blast chargers on the lasrifle section always, but I've been playing around with the idea of not taking an aegis line, simply because I was thinking of using my infantry to screen for my knights. I have 3 Knights that will make up my Allied Detachment, but pretty much form the core of my force.

The fluff idea is that my Solar Auxilia are essentially the Men-at-Arms for a Knight Household. I do intend to keep my lasrifle sections far back, so they can fire at range. My big trouble seems to be how to get the Veletarii to the fight without transports.

@disease - Valdor is alright. If you need more anti-tank, a Tank Commander in a unit of Vanquishers is probably stronger. The Malcador Infernus with chem-munitions is completely brutal though. If you need more anti-Infantry, go for that!

@Ulrik - love the Men-at-Arms concept! Will be impossible to keep up with the Knights without transports though - they are really quick. If the Knights are suitably shooty though, maybe it'll work to hang them back a little. Another option is to convert your Guard army to Imperialis Militia... Much cheaper cannon-fodder and a highly customisable army list.

The new genestealer hybrids in mining suits would make very good conversion fodder for Auxilia. Just swap the heads (like some of the thousands of left-over skitarii vanguard heads out there).

My problem with the Honor Guard for the Lord Marshall is that there really is no appropriate transport for them, unless you're really ballsy and just want to drop them in a Aquila Lander. The non-demolisher Dracosan isn't particularly good and can't carry the character medic.

I have an Auxilia list I'll probably never put together due to cost and hassle of so many tanks, but 3 infiltrating dracosan demolishers backed up by 3 malcadors and a scouting Malcador infernus looks brutal on paper.

Edited by Terminus

@Ulrik - love the Men-at-Arms concept! Will be impossible to keep up with the Knights without transports though - they are really quick. If the Knights are suitably shooty though, maybe it'll work to hang them back a little. Another option is to convert your Guard army to Imperialis Militia... Much cheaper cannon-fodder and a highly customisable army list.

I thought about Militia Imperialis, and I agree that they are much cheaper. Thing is, that while I could absolutely do that (survivors of the dark age and taking rhinos), and indeed may try playing them that way, I absolutely love the Elite feel of the Solar Auxilia. Not only the elite feel, but the fact that they are proficient in combat, which I end up in, a lot. I also really like Volkite...

2 of my Knights are yet unbuilt, but the plan is to have 1 Warden with thunderstrike Gauntlet, and 2 Paladin/Errants (I wish I could mod up some styrix weapons...). The knights are my fire support.

I was planning on getting a 5th Russ (a demolisher kit) so I could run 2 executioners (or if I modded them right, incinerators) for some added anti infantry firepower. I prefer the knights over the Russes, mainly because the knights can move faster meaning they can get into position to do work much better.

I can confirm Infernus and demolisher Dracosians cause severe headaches for a lot of my opponents and are apparently scary as heck.

That said I mainly fight Night Lords and Raven Guard so infantry heavy.

Really want a Valdor eventually. I always run Commander Vanquishees so adding a Valdor will wreck enemy armour.

The unit list is just so dank.

I do want to try Ogryn & LM in a Stormlord. Currently I blot out the sun with a million Veletarii of the Solar Auxilia. With LM choose EW to avoid ID and you are ready to smash.

^I also love the Chem Infernus and the demo dracs. I've gotten far more proficient in hiding the Infernus until it has a good shot too. That thing terrifies opponents, so it's going to be the biggest fire magnet of all time.

I'll admit I haven't actually used a Lord Marshall before though. As much as I like the idea, it seems to be an attempt to force a single competent close combat option into a completely ranged list. So they typically always feel like a waste of points.

Does anyone ever take an Auxilia tank Commander for their Malcador Infernus?

It's 55 points, but that buys you BS4 for the sponson lascannons and pintle weapon, the ability to fire OVERWATCH, and your choice of Scout&Move Through Cover or Tank Hunter or Preferred Enemy (Infantry).

I tried it for a half dozen games against three different opponents.

It's every bit as harsh as it sounds and it made me feel a little dirty. So I typically stick to Stormlords and standard malcadors for tank commanders now.

The new genestealer hybrids in mining suits would make very good conversion fodder for Auxilia. Just swap the heads (like some of the thousands of left-over skitarii vanguard heads out there).

My problem with the Honor Guard for the Lord Marshall is that there really is no appropriate transport for them, unless you're really ballsy and just want to drop them in a Aquila Lander. The non-demolisher Dracosan isn't particularly good and can't carry the character medic.

I have an Auxilia list I'll probably never put together due to cost and hassle of so many tanks, but 3 infiltrating dracosan demolishers backed up by 3 malcadors and a scouting Malcador infernus looks brutal on paper.

Oh.... OH.... Oh my. That.... that is a good idea. Darn it I have tons of leftover ranger bits and that is looking tempting

It's every bit as harsh as it sounds and it made me feel a little dirty. So I typically stick to Stormlords and standard malcadors for tank commanders now.

I am unclear if it frees up a heavy support slot or not.

Regardless, a Solar Auxilia Dracosan/Malcador list is one of the most brutal things you can face. That is a ton of templates and a ton of armor and HP, extremely difficult to deal with. You should already be dirty, so what's a bit more. :D

You're right, that would look pretty good. Though I think that Scions with Vanguard Heads might look a bit better.

How do you intend to infiltrate the 3 dracosans? How you you plan to scout the Malcador? What am I missing that allows such shenanigans?

I am unclear if it frees up a heavy support slot or not.

As I understand it, it does not. It actually takes up both the slot the tank is in, and an HQ slot, because you have to take the commander separately, and then attach him to a tank. It's wonky, and not the way we're used to seeing it from 40k.

Does anyone ever take an Auxilia tank Commander for their Malcador Infernus?

It's 55 points, but that buys you BS4 for the sponson lascannons and pintle weapon, the ability to fire OVERWATCH, and your choice of Scout&Move Through Cover or Tank Hunter or Preferred Enemy (Infantry).

Wow. That's absolutely filthy. Also, it's good to know that my idea to use a Tank Commander in a Stormlord is a viable one. BS4 Lascannons are dangerous. I also want to pair it with the Superheavy command tank upgrade, to get that 24" morale bubble. With armored ceremite to keep it from popping to melta. Expensive, but worth it for the rolling command bunker.

What to put in the Stormlord is the big question. I was thinking an all Veletarii Tercio with power axes and the tactical command section with an Embedded Lord Marshal.

The Tank Commander entry says that he grants the Command tank special rule, but I don't see the rule listed anywhere in the conquest book, so is it the same rule from IA Apocalypse or IA1.2?

^Putting the Tank Commander in the Stormlord also allows for PE Infantry with a BS4, Str6 weapon.

The downside is that it makes it that much harder to will yourself to move the tank (since that cuts its firepower almost in half) to get it out of danger. I've over estimated and had it destroyed from a nasty charging unit several times because of that ^_^

As to what to put in it, it varies greatly depending on how mean you want to be. My current favorite budget-conscious idea is a tactical command squad with two grenade launchers on the veterans and a posse of three enginseers with eight grenade-launcher servitors. Using the Strategos's Cognis-Signum on the servitors, it gives me ten BS4 haywire grenades, which take care of pretty much any armor for me, short of another super heavy. The stormlord itself gets 30 BS4 PE(infantry) shots with the mega bolter and whatever other heavy bolters it has lying around for scary good anti-infantry. The three enginseers inside give me three repair rolls to keep the Stormlord up and running as well. It makes a hilariously effective rolling fortress.

Just don't let primarchs into base-to-base :lol:

I fill my Stormlord with standard Veletarii - you can delete the infantry component of an ememy army turn 1 if you position correctly. 30 S6 AP3 PE: infantry shots is...filthy. Frankly Tank Commanders are one of the big reasons I love SA so much.

Or you can play defensively and delete any incoming deathstars, though you need hard AT to crack them open and you can be vulnerable to drop assaults even with AC but if you surround your Stormlord with Veletarii you dump overwatch fire.

I have only ever sat and blapped before, but the firepower output is prodigous - if you like rolling dice it is perfect.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

^Putting the Tank Commander in the Stormlord also allows for PE Infantry with a BS4, Str6 weapon.

The downside is that it makes it that much harder to will yourself to move the tank (since that cuts its firepower almost in half) to get it out of danger. I've over estimated and had it destroyed from a nasty charging unit several times because of that :happy.:

As to what to put in it, it varies greatly depending on how mean you want to be. My current favorite budget-conscious idea is a tactical command squad with two grenade launchers on the veterans and a posse of three enginseers with eight grenade-launcher servitors. Using the Strategos's Cognis-Signum on the servitors, it gives me ten BS4 haywire grenades, which take care of pretty much any armor for me, short of another super heavy. The stormlord itself gets 30 BS4 PE(infantry) shots with the mega bolter and whatever other heavy bolters it has lying around for scary good anti-infantry. The three enginseers inside give me three repair rolls to keep the Stormlord up and running as well. It makes a hilariously effective rolling fortress.

Just don't let primarchs into base-to-base :laugh.:

Spenser... Is that you? :P

#EyeOfHorusPod

Storm Lord just sounds like the most #FUN Super Heavy for sure.

How do you intend to infiltrate the 3 dracosans? How you you plan to scout the Malcador? What am I missing that allows such shenanigans?

My core is a Lord Marshall with Command Section in Dracosan, and two Veletaris Storm Sections also in Dracosans. The Marshall can choose his warlord trait, so you just flip to the best table (strategic), and pick master of ambush, which grants the Warlord and three other units the Infiltrate rule. Since the Dracosans are dedicated transports, they can be infiltrated with the squad. So yeah, that's three demolisher cannons deploying within 18" of your enemy after they've already deployed. Muahahahaha.

Regarding scouting the Malcador Infernus, that's one of the rules you can pick as a Tank Commander.  This theoretical list has to change now, of course, since the Infernus doesn't become a HQ model it seems, so I got to drop a Malcador Heavy Tank.  This does free up a lot of points however, so I can add some anti-air and maybe some more infantry.  If I take two lasrifle sections as my troops, I can upgrade the Storm Sections to Household Guard to give them preferred enemy with those volkites.

If you want to really go all out with the "lol MEQ" theme you can load your Stormlord with phased plasma fusil enginseer automata to vomit 16 to 24 S6 AP3 shots.

Only downside is BS3 on them.

However you could theoretically vomit out 126 S6 AP3 shots per turn. Where is your MEQ now?! Hahaha.

It is however, 72 shots at BS3 and costs over 1200 points. Perhaps you could argue one doesnt need that volume of firepower...but I would not be thst one ;p

The downside is that it makes it that much harder to will yourself to move the tank (since that cuts its firepower almost in half) to get it out of danger. I've over estimated and had it destroyed from a nasty charging unit several times because of that ^_^

Just don't let primarchs into base-to-base :lol:

Spenser... Is that you? :P

#EyeOfHorusPod

Storm Lord just sounds like the most #FUN Super Heavy for sure.

HA! Not quite.

We differ greatly in that you will *never* catch me loading up that Stormlord with power axe guys. Clem Fandango gets shot to :cuss waaaay too often :lol:

Edited by Flint13

If you want to really go all out with the "lol MEQ" theme you can load your Stormlord with phased plasma fusil enginseer automata to vomit 16 to 24 S6 AP3 shots.

Only downside is BS3 on them.

However you could theoretically vomit out 126 S6 AP3 shots per turn. Where is your MEQ now?! Hahaha.

It is however, 72 shots at BS3 and costs over 1200 points. Perhaps you could argue one doesnt need that volume of firepower...but I would not be thst one ;p

Oh, missed this.

See, the great thing about the All Power to the Weapons! rule is that you don't have to fire both times at the same target. This is good, bc it's much better to knock down two units than to waaaay overkill a single one. Same deal with the phased plasma fusils. I won't say that you'll never be in a position where you might need to kill three separate power armored units at once, but for far less investment, my haywire grenade servitors can easily crack a spartan and let the Stormlord shoot the hell out of whatever is inside. I think that would be a far more common occurrence.

Edited by Flint13

I would probably do 3 phased plasma units 1 haywire for versatility.

I have yet to try my new local meta but the amount of MEQ I used to face was crazy, people seemed very averse to using big tanks. It was swarms of Raven Guard ASM, NL terror squads or all the heavy support DG and Gal Vorbaks. Massed ap3 please!

My core is a Lord Marshall with Command Section in Dracosan, and two Veletaris Storm Sections also in Dracosans. The Marshall can choose his warlord trait, so you just flip to the best table (strategic), and pick master of ambush, which grants the Warlord and three other units the Infiltrate rule. Since the Dracosans are dedicated transports, they can be infiltrated with the squad. So yeah, that's three demolisher cannons deploying within 18" of your enemy after they've already deployed. Muahahahaha.

Ah, I see. Ok, that makes sense. Also, my God that is merciless. I'm going to have to remember that from now on. Especially since I don't have dracosans right now, that gives me some amazing alternative deployment options to consider for my burgeoning army (Until I get dracosans, at which point I will infiltrate demo dracosans full of Veletarii...).

You sir are devious, and You have just allowed me to field my own version of Creed...

Also, If I read the rules correctly, the Warlord having Infiltrate, means he can join a Tactical Command Section, and that confers Infiltrate to the unit (Just like Shrike, because the rules say that an IC without infiltrate cannot join a unit of infiltrators, not the other way around. Additionally If one model has the rule the unit has the rule, and IC are counted as part of the unit when they join. If he joins before deployment he deploys as part of the unit)(BRB pgs 338-339).

So that means 4 units can infiltrate, technically. The warlord (and the unit he's joined) as well as the 3 units you chose as part of the warlord trait. I could infiltrate the whole of my Solar Auxilia Component ahead of my knights...

This has given me a ton to think about...

Master of Ambush seems very strong, I was contemplating what traits could work well:

MoA obviously

Eternal Warrior is nice on a T3 model

Shrouded from turn 1 is nice

Target Priority from 7E general -reroll 1s to hit within 12 inches. If you roll a Stormlord blob ... this could be quite good!

The others seem a bit naff, the Twin link one for ordnance could find some niche by making a Valdor reroll hits - I forget but can Valdors have Tank Commanders? That would be supremely filthy good at AV.