[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Hm, that's some good advice. But boy oh boy will that mess with my ocd :tongue.:. I love uniformity in my lists.

Here's a modified list.

HQ

Shield Captain (paragon spear, arae-shrikes, tribune)

troops

Custodian squad (coronus DT)

Custodian squad (arae-shrikes, teleportation transponders)

fast attack

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (2x)

heavy support

Caladius (heavy blaze cannon)

Caladius (Iliastus accelerator cannon)

Christ that armor though!

Hm, that's some good advice. But boy oh boy will that mess with my ocd :tongue.:. I love uniformity in my lists.

Here's a modified list.

HQ

troops

fast attack

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (2x)

heavy support

It will be beautiful!

Edited by Runefyre

Here's a modified list.

HQ

troops

fast attack

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (2x)

heavy support

It will be beautiful!

I like this list.  If you find you need another Coronus you can still drop two more Pallus and have 6 of them.  The Coronus has a lot of firepower.  I still like the unit of 2 for the Pallus.  I think you will find the extra shooting will be wasted with a squad of three.  

Here's a modified list.

HQ

troops

fast attack

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (3x)

Pallas squadron (2x)

heavy support

It will be beautiful!

I like this list.  If you find you need another Coronus you can still drop two more Pallus and have 6 of them.  The Coronus has a lot of firepower.  I still like the unit of 2 for the Pallus.  I think you will find the extra shooting will be wasted with a squad of three.  

I might do that. It would satisfy my ocd anyway :tongue.:

Indeed. Anyone else feeling slightly underwhelmed by our terminators in comparison to the Hetaerons by the way? For 10 points less than a Hetaeron guard with fist you get one higher invul, however you lose the ability to run as well as a wound. In addition a Hetaeron squad can be outfitted with various loadouts to make up for for these issues. The Aquilons have slightly more potent shooting base, but it's still only comparable to a bunch of heavy bolters.

I mean, a Hetaeron squad with two guards with paragon blades and shields up front and couple of fists hidden within has enough damage output for anything really. You could keep a few fodder guys with standard spears behind the shielded ones to use look out sir for wounds that aren't ap2 in order to spare your more expensive fellas too.

Indeed. Anyone else feeling slightly underwhelmed by our terminators in comparison to the Hetaerons by the way? For 10 points less than a Hetaeron guard with fist you get one higher invul, however you lose the ability to run as well as a wound. In addition a Hetaeron squad can be outfitted with various loadouts to make up for for these issues. The Aquilons have slightly more potent shooting base, but it's still only comparable to a bunch of heavy bolters.

I mean, a Hetaeron squad with two guards with paragon blades and shields up front and couple of fists hidden within has enough damage output for anything really. You could keep a few fodder guys with standard spears behind the shielded ones to use look out sir for wounds that aren't ap2 in order to spare your more expensive fellas too.

Termies are my means through fearless hordes. The mechanicum adsec can bog down most of our units while holding an objective. Chewing through 20 fearless wounds would be a pain without those pikes.

Torrent S6 Heavy Flamers are pretty much the best answer to any massed bodies army like fearless & rending levy blobs. Sure, its Ap6 but you're also piling on a ton of wounds.

And, unlike normal cataphractii, while they still can't run, they can Overwatch and Sweep.

Or, you can load them up with BS5 Twin-Linked ID Guns and retain S10 Ap1 in combat.

A deep striking dread list would be quite the sight to behold. Also, if anyone tries to argue that the dreadnoughts aren't Legio Custodes units in regards to Valdors trait, counter-argue by bringing up vehicles allowed to transport dreadnoughts. Most of these are allowed to transport "a dreadnought of any type" or such, however there is absolutely nothing defining what a dreadnought is beyond the unit/model name. Hence the dreadnoughts ought to be thoroughly considered to be Legio Custodes units, since they are de facto part of the "Legio Custodes Contemptor-X Dreadnought" unit, which by the same definition rules as is applied to other dreadnoughts for transport purposes define them as Legio Custodes units.

A deep striking dread list would be quite the sight to behold. Also, if anyone tries to argue that the dreadnoughts aren't Legio Custodes units in regards to Valdors trait, counter-argue by bringing up vehicles allowed to transport dreadnoughts. Most of these are allowed to transport "a dreadnought of any type" or such, however there is absolutely nothing defining what a dreadnought is beyond the unit/model name. Hence the dreadnoughts ought to be thoroughly considered to be Legio Custodes units, since they are de facto part of the "Legio Custodes Contemptor-X Dreadnought" unit, which by the same definition rules as is applied to other dreadnoughts for transport purposes define them as Legio Custodes units.

That and legio custodes starts their name off.

Legio Custodes contemptor-galatus and achillus

That's exactly what I said, albeit with all the RAW lawyering required to be able to state it as true according to the rules. :teehee:  

Technically though the dreadnoughts models are named "Contemptor-Galatus Dreadnought" and "Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought" respectively, so the models themselves don't have anything defining them as Legio Custodes models. The units are definitely such though, in accordance with my above argument.

That's exactly what I said, albeit with all the RAW lawyering required to be able to state it as true according to the rules. :teehee:

Technically though the dreadnoughts models are named "Contemptor-Galatus Dreadnought" and "Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought" respectively, so the models themselves don't have anything defining them as Legio Custodes models. The units are definitely such though, in accordance with my above argument.

It's simpler than that. Look at their unit entry they are literally titled as Legio Custodes [name]. That is part of their designation.

It's simpler than that. Look at their unit entry they are literally titled as Legio Custodes [name]. That is part of their designation.

That is exactly what I am saying, however people have (here and in other places) argued that Valdors trait actually only applies to units with the Legio Custodes rule. What I wrote above is a way to prove that isn't the case RAW, in case people end up having that discussion with others.

There's no confusion with the varying Transport Capacity rules. Dreadnought only ever appears as a Unit Entry, not as a special rule as well. Any confusion of 'what is a dreadnought?' is solved by looking at varying dedicated transport options; the Legion Dreadnought, Contemptor and Leviathan can all take them as Dedicated Transports, and we see that a 'dreadnought' refers to a varied array of units that have dreadnought in the name. There's nothing else to confuse them with; there's no dreadnought special rule; there's no dreadnought special character that's missing that rule; there's no special permission for it to benefit in the same way as dreadnoughts.

Why would Valdor need to be specified to receiving the benefit of his own Trait then? Why have a special rule called the exact same thing? Why did they strip Legio Custodes off the Jet Bikes, but provide them with all the sub-rules when they're the only non-vehicle that natively has deep strike.

I'd be super pleased if it gets clarified that LC Dreads do get to deepstrike, from a fluff standpoint it makes sense imo, but I doubt that's how its going to be ruled.

There's no confusion with the varying Transport Capacity rules. Dreadnought only ever appears as a Unit Entry, not as a special rule as well. Any confusion of 'what is a dreadnought?' is solved by looking at varying dedicated transport options; the Legion Dreadnought, Contemptor and Leviathan can all take them as Dedicated Transports, and we see that a 'dreadnought' refers to a varied array of units that have dreadnought in the name. There's nothing else to confuse them with; there's no dreadnought special rule; there's no dreadnought special character that's missing that rule; there's no special permission for it to benefit in the same way as dreadnoughts.

Why would Valdor need to be specified to receiving the benefit of his own Trait then? Why have a special rule called the exact same thing? Why did they strip Legio Custodes off the Jet Bikes, but provide them with all the sub-rules when they're the only non-vehicle that natively has deep strike.

I'd be super pleased if it gets clarified that LC Dreads do get to deepstrike, from a fluff standpoint it makes sense imo, but I doubt that's how its going to be ruled.

Sure thing there's no confusion. But that doesn't change the fact that we're actively defining a Dreadnought unit/model as one with the word in its name. Necrons have a jump infantry unit that can take a dedicated transport, but that doen't allow them to actually board it. It has since been allowed in an official FAQ, but my point stands that just because you can take a transport doesn't mean you can actually use it. If we allow for rules to categorize based upon unit names we must do so in all cases.

EDIT - to answer your points about Valdor and the bikes. In the case of the former, he actually doesn't have Legio Custodes in his name. In the case of the latter there is literally no point in the way they're given all sub-rules and deep strike instead of the parent rule, however due to how sloppy that page is in general I'd chalk it up as poor editing.

Edited by TompiQ

So I really really want to run a contemptor spam list.

For the lolz:

HQ

Constantin Valdor xxx

TROOPS

4 Legio Custodes Sentinel Guards: Solarite power gauntlet; Magisterium vexilla 260

ELITES

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought: Achillus dreadspear 240

HEAVY SUPPORT

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Galatus Dreadnought xxx

Force Organisation Chart: Onslaught

2,495 points

Start some models on the board and Deep Strike others. Will be hard to deal with that many Dreads with the stats they have. Valdor and his crew do whatever you want them to. Galatus have TL Infernus incinerators and Rampage to deal with any Infantry. Achillus have their Dreadspears for the deadliest targets (with 5 WS6 attacks on the charge and Master-crafted, odds are they will get one '6' and upgrade to D!). Scoring units? Who needs Scoring units? :P