[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

@Rabidbunneh

The points on your jet bikes are off. The upgrade is a flat cost for the squad for the las-pulser. You have the squad 50 pts to expensive.

Their entry is pretty clear that each model pays for his las-pulser. So 315 for a unit of 3 with melta bombs is correct.

Read it again, it's a one time payment.

Ah. I see it now. It specifies whole SQUADRONS, not models. Wow. that ridonks.

Yeah it's straight dumb I'm alright playing it either way I'd currently stay on the side of caution but maybe it's intended. The wording is just so weird.

What unit can take the adrathic exterminator??

I bet money it was suppose to be the pallas and they put in wrong entry. Would have made so much more sense.

The bikes.

They can take the devastator. I'm adding it to my list. It makes no sense that it's 5 points for bikes and 20 for pallas. Its got to be the wrong gun.

Probably going to be options for the "Heavy" Custodes Dread when its released but added the profiles in the book anyways for completion.

Maybe but the point costs is so damn funky. 20 points on pallas compared to 5 in the bikes?

For sure no sense

I doubt its the case but probably because the Pallas, with POTMS, can move more than 12" in its turn or jink, and still be able to fire its main weapon at full BS.

@Rabidbunneh

The points on your jet bikes are off.  The upgrade is a flat cost for the squad for the las-pulser.  You have the squad 50 pts to expensive.

I know, I priced them at 25 each as I fully expect this to be FAQ'd. It makes those upgrades so crazily strong.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Sagittarius Guard squad? They aren't stubborn, far as I can tell, so there's no real method of moving them around without firing snap shots, is there.

It's a bummer they don't have anything to mitigate the heavy. But taking the carrier, shooting them up the board and disembarking near something their beams will murder and then sniping other targets from range will be nice.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Sagittarius Guard squad? They aren't stubborn, far as I can tell, so there's no real method of moving them around without firing snap shots, is there.

It's a bummer they don't have anything to mitigate the heavy. But taking the carrier, shooting them up the board and disembarking near something their beams will murder and then sniping other targets from range will be nice.
But at that point, wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to deep strike them? I mean especially if you have sisters running around with a Nuncio Vox.

But at that point, wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to deep strike them? I mean especially if you have sisters running around with a Nuncio Vox.

Sometimes it's ok to have more units on the field to force your opponent. Denying the ability to saturate targets can be useful for keeping other hard hitters alive.

The bolt caliver really should've been assault in both modes, and I reckon the sagittarum should have been a ranged troop choice and not a heavy support unit. Something to deploy on an objective and then bunker down and fire away with. As it currently stands I'd never take a squad of them vs another Caladius.

Not speaking about jetbikes, but because I love our jetbikes. Custodian armour gives move through cover, Agamatus jetbikers have said armour. They can't be hurt by terrain, which is nifty.

EDIT - Can we just take a moment to appreciate the sheer awesomeness of the arae-shrikes by the way? I mean, increasing blast scatter in unison with 3" coherency is splendid. However, their strongest use has to be as anti-deep strike. A squad of three custodians can cover an oval that is 24" by 34.5" in size. With three of these squads deployed you can actually cover your entire board half. Just imagine what that does to a drop pod army, risking on average half of their alpha strike getting misplaced, delayed or simply destroyed.

Edited by TompiQ

The bolt caliver really should've been assault in both modes, and I reckon the sagittarum should have been a ranged troop choice and not a heavy support unit. Something to deploy on an objective and then bunker down and fire away with. As it currently stands I'd never take a squad of them vs another Caladius.

Not speaking about jetbikes, but because I love our jetbikes. Custodian armour gives move through cover, Agamatus jetbikers have said armour. They can't be hurt by terrain, which is nifty.

EDIT - Can we just take a moment to appreciate the sheer awesomeness of the arae-shrikes by the way? I mean, increasing blast scatter in unison with 3" coherency is splendid. However, their strongest use has to be as anti-deep strike. A squad of three custodians can cover an oval that is 24" by 34.5" in size. With three of these squads deployed you can actually cover your entire board half. Just imagine what that does to a drop pod army, risking on average half of their alpha strike getting misplaced, delayed or simply destroyed.

I completely missed the fact they have move through cover on the bikes...

I feel they maybe the weakest unit in the book and they are not a bad unit.  For the cost of a couple melta bombs you can get a Caladius which with POTMS you can engage two targets or jink and still target a unit with full BS.  I think to make the Sagittarum work you need the Coronus.  They would be a good back field obj holder with Area Shrikes to have an anti drop zone bubble. 

So how do you guys plan to run your basic custodes troops "tax"?

It's instinctual for me to avoid leaving infantry out in the open, but coronus suck up alot of points. Will regular custodes be survivable enough with arae-shrikes?

Perhaps just deep strike them in?

I am planning to run the basic with the Area Shrikes.  If Valdor is my warlord then they will deep strike.  If Tankibune is my warlord I will infiltrate them and have paid for deep strike for the others.

The 3' coherency and the Area Shrikes should limit the amount of hits.  A quad mortar should at most ever be able to hit two if spread out accordingly.  With the shrikes it could easily be one or none.

Now if someone wants to invest an entire Medusa battery into them then;

A) everything else on my side is dead and I am in trouble anyway.

B) they are playing the mission and that is well played. 

If it is indirect medusa fire and you are scattering the full amount, even with multiple batteries I will take those odds.  The MSU and the amount of small units we have that all can be a threat makes a full battery of quad mortars shooting at three guys potentially overkill.  The other thing to think about every 12 wounds from a quad mortar battery is statistically only going to drop one custode. 

So how do you guys plan to run your basic custodes troops "tax"?

It's instinctual for me to avoid leaving infantry out in the open, but coronus suck up alot of points. Will regular custodes be survivable enough with arae-shrikes?

Perhaps just deep strike them in?

Deep striking them in is by far the most viable option if you want to remain decently cheap and stay pure custodes. Go for sentinels or custodian guard depending on your meta (I'll go the latter purely for looks, they are the iconic custodians after all) and whether you reckon survival or damage output is prioritized. Running minimum sized squads is preferable to minimize foot print, allowing for more aggressive placement. Due to crusader you roll 2d6 and pick the highest for run moves, so run after deep striking and you're almost guaranteed to be able to spread out and go for cover or an otherwise optimal position. However, do consider deploying them immediately if you're up versus a deep strike based army. As I wrote above, 3x3 custodians with arae-shrikes are enough to fill an entire table half with the mishap zone.

Mechanized in coronus syncs decently with say 3 caladius tanks for armour saturation. A mechanized squad is also the only place where I'd invest in anything but the base spear, seeing as you have much higher precision in regards to reaching your target. A coronus is roughly equal to a lascannon predator (even though these aren't an option in 30k) so don't fret too much over its price. Sure, it's not optimal, but it will certainly contribute enough to make it worthwhile.

The last option is to run sisters as your troops, truly turning it into a tax. Excruciatus Cadre with stake crossbows for some anti-Thousand Sons, two sister squads with nuncio ends up at 250 points and contributes something. You could bulk them up and run them in transports, but I'd rather go for the guys in gold.

I don't consider the troops a tax in this list, so i've gone a bit crazy with them.

Well, our base troops are pretty much equal to most other factions elite terminators, with the difference that ours have such an improved sweep potential that the risk of getting bogged down by numbers is minimized. Versus power armoured enemies a minimized squad of Custodian Guard works wonders, and if terminators are common in your meta a Sentinel Guard squad of four with two solarite gauntlets is excellent. All in all the custodians have no tax, merely slightly less efficient choices depending on opponent.