Prot

Great Tutorial! I'm curious how I'll replicate that cool overspray effect without an airbrush, but it's definitely something to shoot for.

Thanks.

While I was doing it I really thought a large dry brush applied to the trunk in light amounts, with different, overlapping colours would have worked too.  Just do the bone drybrush last to 'diminish' the effect to keep it toned down and less obvious and I think you'll be good.

It's something where in hindsight if I weren't airbrushing I would have taken the foilage off or not glued it. And then sprayed the foilage separate with a bright couple of coloured primers. You can get away with a lot with alien terrain. :)

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up picking up the Commander's set for Kill Team, but the only HQ box I bought was the Primaris LIbby:

libby-content-for-dw-and-ultra.jpg?w=860

I'm not particularly happy with the Deathwatch box, and I'll just leave my review here: Prot's DW Commander Review

Also I tried a 'fun' list and had a game vs this crazy new unit from the Tooth and Claw box set... I dunno if you guys have seen this new unit for the Genestealer Cult but he's pretty darn good for his points:

skip-the-dishes-driver-from-hell-dont-an

The batrep is here if you're interested: DW vs Genestealer Cult

I will  say this is post FAQ and the Rematch has been played.

How did the rematch go, did you change up the list at all? 

I agree Azaiel - I want Terminators to be great again. I particularly love the fact we can bring a squad filled to the brim with heavy weapon toting Termies, but they're so defensively weak and expensive that it really isn't worth it (even if it looks super cool). If they could stay on the board way longer, their lower offensive output wouldn't be as much of an issue, but right now they don't burn brightly enough for how quickly they can be removed. 

So I’ve been getting into DeathWatch myself, 2 games in so far, but both have been against my friends GSC. They both been close and mostly fun lists.

But he’s been rolling the aberrant and abhorrent and man are they good. I’ve found the character can be mitigated with chaff units tho as he only gets 3 attacks, so against our base vets he feels underwhelming for an HQ (if he misses/fails to wound). But it sounds like he’s great against elite/multi wound models.

What we have found is the aberrants are pretty damn good. 2 attacks base, but it’s doubled if they take the pick weapon. The stop sign guys can wreck as well. A ten man squad easily ate thru a seven man primaris fortis team(he got the charge so swung first. If I had a full 10 man they still would have been wiped). They also have the damage reduction and fnp of the character.

To top it all off, they can go in any of their transports, including chimeras, and they do not have any bulky rule. So you can pack a squad of 10 plus the character in one. (Same thing as Genestealers and the patriarch)

When the codex drops, if these guys get more reliable ways to get in your face and in CC, they’ll be everywhere.

Sorry I didn’t post the full list in the second game. I consider it my go to, all arounder for everyday play.

From memory;

Battalion

Artemis

Libby

2 vet squads one has a heavy hammer Vanguard, 2 Frag Cannons and goes in the Corvus.

The other had a Shield and mostly stormbolter and sat in the Rhino with a Watchmaster.

1 Fortis with 5 auto bolt rifles, assault Bolter Inceptor and a Bolter Aggressor.

Vanguard

Watchmaster

1 5 man vet squad with 2 missiles 3 Stalker Bolters

1 Fortis squad with plasma Inceptor and Helblasters with Intercessors

Ven dread

Reivers

Apothecary

Give it a shot. It’s fairly flexible but certainly not over the top.

Edited by Prot

Thanks. I will. Been trying to think of a unit to place in the Corvus, but every time I go overboard on gear. I’ll try your slightly beefed frag squad.

With your assault weapon fortis, is it minimum models because of available points or because you don’t think it needs to have max units?

How do you feel about the missile launchers? Do you like their performance?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...