Sagentus's Khorne army - Contemptor Dread and DA

Sagentus

Thanks Traitor! I am pretty happy with him, learnt a lot doing this model. A little bit of me wishes i had been more ambitious, but i have plans for his next rendition in the future. I aim to put him on making him a jugger-lord, with him taking a nemesis' 'Ā Black Legion' juggernaut.

Ā 

Firstly though, i have a tonne of 1/2 built/painted stuff that needs to be finished ^^

He's looking absolutely excellent! A great kitbash and some very effective painting! Lovely!

Ā 

The one small thing that doesn't really work for me is the severed head on the base, as it seems like a bit of an afterthought. Apart from that, top notch! :)

Ah, with the better pictures he really looks good. The paintjob is great and so is the conversion. Only thing I'm missing is a bit of verdigris here and there (I'm a huge verdigris fan, maybe I like that stuff too much).Ā 

Ah, with the better pictures he really looks good. The paintjob is great and so is the conversion. Only thing I'm missing is a bit of verdigris here and there (I'm a huge verdigris fan, maybe I like that stuff too much).Ā 

Ā 

Ha, you said the same about my World Eaters, but I would argue the models actually work better with a more restrained palette, without introducing yet another colour into the mix ;)

@ Kraut - thank you mate. I really like how he turned out. I see what you mean about the head on the base. He was going to be holding it in his right hand but he looked to much like an american football player like that lol. Do you think it could be improved with me adding part of the upper torso to the base?Ā 

Ā 

@ Aasfresser - Cheers mate, Ā I think Kraut is right, with the relatively limited pallet it has worked out better than my other models

Hmm, I happen to think that adding fallen foes (or heads of fallen foes) to a base is basically an art form in itself, if you want it to look convincing, which is why I tend to put a lot of work into it whenever I actually do it. So the short answer would be: Yes, I think that could improve the effect. But you would probably have to plan it well in advance: How much of the body do you add? How much of it is visible? What about the limbs? Are they there? Have they been cut off? Is the torso half-buried in the ground? How do you make sure the guy on the base doesn't actually end up overshadowing the actual model?

Ā 

If you want it to look really good, you'd probably have to plan the entire base around the concept. By the way, the half-buried look usually works fairly well and solves lots of potential problems.

Ā 

Sorry for the somewhat convoluted answer :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers Kraut - I wouldnt say your answer was convoluted, It shows me that I should (in the future) pay as much attention and planning in the base as i do in the model its self. I'll have a play around with an old space marine torso later today and see if i can get a 1/2 buried look :)Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm running out of time with my pledge on TOH, but I've been rather busy. Finally have my termis pinned and dry fitted ready for spray today :-)

Here are to extra termis to add to the old three man squad. Should help with hoard armies a bit more.

gallery_95896_12723_1633452.jpg

Also made a little start on my dark apostle

gallery_95896_12723_916227.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_1186812.jpg

Got rid of the dark angels insignia and will smooth it over with some gs. Need to sort out the back pack too, I will cut the vents off and exchange them for csm ones :-)

Edited by Sagentus

Cheers Marcus and bio. I managed to get the termis sprayed and a spray Base coat put on too. Although it's a little thick in places, first time using a Base spray, but that shouldn't show once I've put a brush to it.

Got a WIP pic, hopefully will have these 2 finished by tomorrow (as that is the deadline). Basically tidying up , highlighting and the loins to do.

gallery_95896_12723_716732.jpg

1 thing i have noticed is that the runelord brass lets the colour underneath show through. The 2 FW shoulderpads I didnt undercoat with the mephiston spray (in the aim not to loose detail) and they are a lot darker in colour than the 2 standard termi shoulder pads. I might not have time to rectify that with the deadline, but i will come back to them at some point.

Then i got 15 days to get 10 bezerkers built/painted haha

Edited by Sagentus

Hmmm, just looked upĀ Balthasar gold and I might give it a try, being a base colour it shouldnt show the red undercoat as muchĀ 

Ā 

I know but i dont get much opportunity to paint atm, but hoping the base spray of mephiston red will help time wise. Need some more nuln oil too, bad habbit of knocking my shades over =/Ā 

Cheers BrotherJim ... I learnt a lot with painting Urmak from layering the armour to getting a decent tone for the face, cant forget the GS work too. Which remind me my Model carving tools turned up saturday! just waiting on the silicon brushes to arrive too :)Ā 

Nearly done on the termi's, they look a bit scruffy in places but i aim to clean that up tonight. Defo going to paint the trim black before brass/gold in the future, I think rushing these guys and cutting corners is noticable in places. But here we are atm, almost done:

gallery_95896_12723_1084207.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_733253.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_103201.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_222923.jpg

Same here, they totally change the model. Hopefully have them done tonight, then its onto the bezerkers. Trying not to get destracted with other project atm if im honest, so many converssons in my head lolĀ