Sagentus's Khorne army - Contemptor Dread and DA

Sagentus

Great work! I think the legs look better than they did before! Just an idea, but maybe you could put a corpse between his legs? Like he's leaping over his disemboweled victim? The cape for the Dark Apostle is looking great too, nice work making it look more ragged!

Sort of off topic but if you're looking to continue doing more complex conversions I'd highly recommend getting a dremel cause it's much faster than filing something plus you can usually fix any mistakes with GS pretty easily (especially since you have the silicone brushes). So things like smoothing out work on the cape and making damage would be a lot quicker. Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers Vair! I have some old SM part lying around somewhere and ill mock that up tonight. I was quite happy with how the cape is looking, little more to do on it though. 

defo tempted for a Dremel, especially if it speeds things up. Do you have any suggestions as to which one to get? 

The new silicone brushes really help get a smooth finish i have found, defo see what you mean when you said to get the harder nibs though, you have to put quite a bit of pressure on with the soft nibbed ones. 

@The_Stray_Idea - Thank you, got a lot more work to do on the DA, but hopefully get plenty done tonight whilst i wait for my undercoat to dry on the bezerkers. I thought that too, its hard not to think of wolverene when looking at dual LC. 

Edited by Sagentus

Ha! I think I ordered the exact same wax carving tools from amazon a few weeks ago. And some silicone brushes, but not the same. 

I used some of the warptalon LCs on some minis and after painting them, I wouldn't do it again without getting rid of the extra lightning like trim on the claws back. It just looks strange esp. if the miniature over all is a bit older and not as detailed, like those old zerkers. But that might just be my personal taste and not worth anything.

Also, that cape is coming along very nicely!

Wolvey Zerker looks good mate. The cape on the DA is looking great as well, I will also chime in on the dremel thing as well. I bought a cheap rotary tool last year and for drilling to add pins or for smoothing/hollowing out bits it's perfect, mine still spins a bit fast and tends to melt the plastic a little if I'm not careful but it makes a lot of jobs a lot easier.

@vair - for how cheap they were they are perfect. Kinda wishing I got the harder nibbed brushes, but I'll get them some point soon.

Dam, I saw your post to late about the lcs and have already undercoated and Base coated them :-( I think you are right though and I'll do that next time

@Bio - cheers mate! Quite happy with how he's coming on, but I think vair was right about the back of the lcs, will have to live and learn with that one. Defo going to get a dremel, it's payday soon and you can get cheapish one that should do the trick like you say.

I did some more work on my DA tonight as I was waiting for my bezerkers to dry, managed to undercoat then and the Base spray them mephiston red (yes it's cheating but I don't have an airbrush).

Firstly with the front I changed bits out that various people mentioned, belt, spikes on the end of the tastles, made the robe look ragged and got some khorne symbols on each shoulder

gallery_95896_12723_608109.jpg

I was trying to get a good lean on him as if he was charging. I also changed out both the hands for standard csm ones.

gallery_95896_12723_1049023.jpg

Finally I did more work on the robe to get rid of the dark angles insignia.

gallery_95896_12723_366982.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how he's turned out, but as always I'm open to c&c and suggestions to make him look better :-)

Edited by Sagentus

First off the comment you replied to was Aafresser's comment not mine :teehee:

As for the Dark Apostle, he's looking a lot more chaos now! Fantastic work, he's definitely going to look epic when painted up! My only gripe is that the combi plasma looks a bit top heavy. Looking forward to seeing more stuff painted up!

And for which dremels are good:

I have an old one which is the dremel 275. The current version of mine is the dremel 100 which is supposed to be better. It's basically the cheapest version you can get but for modelling it's enough I'd say cause I can work with the old metal models just fine. I bit that I get the most use out of looks like this, but it doesn't come with the dremel and you'd need to get an extra pack of bits like this or buy one separately. 

Whoops sorry vair and Aafresser

Cheers vairocanum, I'm really happy with how he's coming on too. I agree with the combi plasma think I might just give him a plasma pistol. As for painting him, he's going to have to wait until my bezerkers are finished, got the final highlight or red to do on them, then it's onto painting the gold and silver ;)

Cheers for the advice on the dremel. Will get one asap

Your apostle is coming along great, I imagine shaving off the DA logo of the cape must've been a hassle though:) Small suggestion, is it possible to shave down the left shoulder  bit? His shoulder pad seems to stick out a bit too much.

The berzerkers are looking cool too, and looking at your earlier paintworks I'm sure they'll look awesome finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while, but life has kicked me in the ass. The miss' insisted i went for a blue cloak/robes, which look good but contrast like mad with the red armour. But i think i'm going to keep going with it and see what the end result looks like

gallery_95896_12723_536527.jpg

Edited by Sagentus

A deep gray or even black with deep blue highlight. I do like the blue as an accent color.

One thought: You could hit the robes with a shade (GW Drakenhof Nightshade is a blue/black..great stuff , very useful for all sorts of stuff) that would tone them down a bit. That would even shade nicely over greys and give you toned down blue.  If you go with a lighter grey, however, it'll look like faded blue jeans- that's how I do my Ork pants. :)

Not sure I'd go with a straight black shade. If you wanted to try that I'd say water it down and try it on the inside before you repaint it to see how it looks.

Managed to get more done on the DA, really liking how the front is coming on, still plenty to do on the silver, gold and bone but I’m happy with how the cloak and robes have turned out.

gallery_95896_12723_95915.jpg

Not to sure on the back atm, needs more work on the recesses but it is getting there :)

gallery_95896_12723_625359.jpg

Also I have been working on my bez, keep forgetting to take pics, will upload some soon :)