8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

Still liking the new Dread after yesterdays break. Going to see about brining that view slit forward so there is no gap between the front plate and that point. Also the aquila on the front will not be there, don't like how it extends over the sides the way it does.

Is anyone familiar with the model in the middle right of the pic with the new LR version. wearing what appears to be DA robes? can't find a model like it on the GW site. Only one comes close is the Termionator Libby. but even that doesn't quite match.

Okay, I kind of like the look of the new Dreadnought. Less angular, good looking restyled weapons, and @Eberious, I completely agree that that aquilla needs to go, but other than that, it's good. This is a kit (Throne of The Emperor, it had BETTER be a kit!) I may fool around with in the future.

As for the tank in the background, it looks like there are design elements of the Rhino AND LR chassis combined into one vehicle. I wonder if, with the turret, it can carry troops or not, but this is just idle speculation at this point. I'll reserve judgement on this piece until we get a better, unobstructed look at it. I'm sure a pic or something is coming.

Unless power weapon Initiates are getting a 2nd attack or power weapons are stupid cheap, like 5 points or less, it's no longer worth it to have 1 power weapon attack a turn

I believe power weapons (or at least power swords) are worth four points. I'm hoping Templars will get access to an attack buff, maybe chaplains giving additional attacks or a stratagem because I have concerns of single power weapon attacks too. That said the new morale system and the single attack with power weapons might make the sword brother a worthwhile upgrade for a crusader squad. Overall it feels like a slight nerf but if this game is anything like AoS it'll come down to buff and synergies, of which we've seen very little.

At least that dreadnought is closer to the clunky, boxy, awkward Imperial machine design than a lot of stuff has been lately.  Yes, I'm looking at you Mr. Stay Puft Leviathan model.

I just hope that Aquila is an attachment piece and not molded on to the chest plate, or that there are alternate chests to choose from.  I don't like it. :P

Rule rumors and updates are coming way too fast and are way too confusing for me to follow here without context, but at least I get new models to nitpick now and then :D

Has anyone seen how grenades work yet?  I was not sure if this was posted as we have seen their profile.  I have not seen if there are limitations to them like only one model can use a grenade per turn or anything like that.  

Has anyone seen how grenades work yet? I was not sure if this was posted as we have seen their profile. I have not seen if there are limitations to them like only one model can use a grenade per turn or anything like that.

Grenades are on the rulebook leak. I believe one model per unit can choose to throw the grenade.

I haven't seen anything about using Grenades as melee weapons though.

LOL like shoving a krak down an MCs throat? Very Templar

We could do it in 7th.... :P

the Close combat might be not good for crusader squads.

How is the CC not good for Crusader Squads?

Chainswords on Initiates give them +1 Attack in addition to shooting pistols in combat... additional Neophytes act as shields for Overwatch... 3+ WS, 3+ Armour Save, Power Weapon on an Initiate and a Special Weapon on Another on top of a Sword Brother with an additional Power Weapon or Combi-Special Weapon, which means Flamers and Power Weapons for days... and on top of all that, a dedicated Transport Land Raider Crusader with more Bolter shots, Assault Cannon shots and throw in a Multimelta for good measure...

I don't care how tough your Nurgles or Primaris or Carnifexes are... weight of dice will still kill you this edition...

I tried to say that I expect that the crusader squad will be not good to play with. I expect that it is better to take tactical marines for BT instead of Crusaders. Unti yet, there is nothing known that a new rule can be a advantage. I think its not tested from GW - they test the tactical ones and then they use all knwoledge about them for the rules of our crusaders.

the Close combat might be not good for crusader squads.

How is the CC not good for Crusader Squads?

Chainswords on Initiates give them +1 Attack in addition to shooting pistols in combat... additional Neophytes act as shields for Overwatch... 3+ WS, 3+ Armour Save, Power Weapon on an Initiate and a Special Weapon on Another on top of a Sword Brother with an additional Power Weapon or Combi-Special Weapon, which means Flamers and Power Weapons for days... and on top of all that, a dedicated Transport Land Raider Crusader with more Bolter shots, Assault Cannon shots and throw in a Multimelta for good measure...

I don't care how tough your Nurgles or Primaris or Carnifexes are... weight of dice will still kill you this edition...

I tried to say that I expect that the crusader squad will be not good to play with. I expect that it is better to take tactical marines for BT instead of Crusaders. Unti yet, there is nothing known that a new rule can be a advantage. I think its not tested from GW - they test the tactical ones and then they use all knwoledge about them for the rules of our crusaders.

Well assuming that our loadout options have not changed, crusaders are going to still be significantly better than Tacs. especially because we can get chainswords and mix bolters with CCW's and not to mention having MSU with 2 special weapons. 

So back a while GW said that tactical Marines were going to be 13 points each. After seeing the Primaris points cost leads I wonder if that's going to be 13 points each...with no wargear.

So back a while GW said that tactical Marines were going to be 13 points each. After seeing the Primaris points cost leads I wonder if that's going to be 13 points each...with no wargear.

I highly doubt that it would be with no Wargear... it would be an Initiate with Power Armour, Frag Grenade, Krak Grenade, Bolter and Bolt Pistol... with possible swap to chainsword for the Bolter...

the gap between the wargear and the stats for the Primaris is quite decent in comparison to Tactical Marines, hence the big points difference... Bolters with extra AP and range... increase in Wounds, and Attack puts them at that much difference in points cost... but they also have wargear equipped and included, and some 0 points wargear too...

If you look at the leaked images it's all with no wargear but frag, krak, bolt(rifle) and bolt pistol are all 0 points so it ends up being the same for normal guys.

Compare to the Hellblasters which look amazing at 23 points until you realize that you have to pay 17 points for them making them 40 points each

I wouldn't say confirmed, because that poster is just showing off how they look as they also said this. 

Here’s a page from the upcoming Warhammer 40,000 book, showing off not only how those new Primaris Space Marines look in the colours of some familiar Chapters, but also showing off few whole new ones:

If he does I,ll post them here.

So with the edition changes I actually hope that we,ll get to pair Chainswords and Bolters since they seem like a strong match for thinning units before going full RIP AND TEAR on the ones that were unfortunate enough to survive being shot first.

I wouldn't say confirmed, because that poster is just showing off how they look as they also said this. 

Here’s a page from the upcoming Warhammer 40,000 book, showing off not only how those new Primaris Space Marines look in the colours of some familiar Chapters, but also showing off few whole new ones:

It's from the actual book, not some child's crayon coloring page. That's enough to count as "confirmed".

With my newly-developed schizophrenia (i.e. I hate the changes, but I'd probably like some new models, but I don't like the new aesthetic and have to convince myself not to buy), I just want to ignore the changes. But I know that I will eventually face somebody who has those new models that I don't want and it will be problematic. Why, oh why do we need new Marines? Why, oh why couldn't they've been just a new mark of amour?

Luckily Primaris Marines are quite expensive in points, so our battle-proven Initiates will remain a viable option. The Chaos leak also suggests that Land Raiders are going to be amazing, so I hope that I'll put some Crusaders in my Crusaders and do some proper Crusading.

We just need some the final pieces of info on melee in the game, as well as some special rules for our army.

Archived