The implications of Guillimans return for the Imperium.

Angel_of_Blood

Well it's 10k later.

I wonder what changed in the Custodes modus operandi.

Nothing? only person that could change their charter is the emperor and he hasn't talked for 9k years. The empire is full of laws or edicts that work because they were done per heresy or durning heresy, and never changed later, because the only person that can do it is the emperor.

This ranges from huge stuff like  navigator houses charters [other lords of terra would be more then happy to have navigators as slaves, like they do have it with astropaths] to small stuff, like land raiders being marine only, because of a short term heresy era edict saying so.

Yeah and the Imperial Creed and the Ecclesiarchy (sp?) being one of the most powerful branches of the modern Imperium right? Same with the Legions being split into chapters and then following Lorgar's organizational template in some cases?

As others have said things do change.

Why is everyone so sure that Sanguinious is going to come back? Horus killed him. Unlike the 'dead' Primarchs, who have theories for return, he doesn't have any theory or myth of return. Unless I'm missing something?! As far as I know the Primarchs that can't return are Curze, Manus and Sanguinious. But again, tell me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.  As I stated in another thread, the 3rd Edition-era Index Astartes: Hand of Justice (ie, the Iron Hands IA article) clearly states that after the Siege of Terra, the ghost of Ferrus Manus appeared to every living son of his and told them at when the final battle against Chaos arrived, he would return from the dead to lead the Iron Hands into that battle.  Now his body was ripped up by the Traitors at Istvaan, but there's always the in-unvierse rumor that the Mechanicus retrieved something or the possibility that Ferrus' ghost heads the Legion of the Damned.

Actually he's a true visionary who betters the lives of the people he governs, hence the idyllic state of Ultramar compared to the general hell hole that is the typical Imperium world.

Well, let's not forget that the Imperium is a totalitarian state whether we're talking 30K or 40K. If Ultramar is an idyllic realm, it's more akin to a privileged enclave for pure Aryans in Nazi Germany than anything else - it's only idyllic by the warped standards of the Emperor's tyrannical vision. It's still a realm without liberty, every life yoked to the state without choice; just more velvet glove than iron fist.

The alternative was worse however, even the non chaos ones, Pre-imperial civilizations like the Olamic Quietude,  fractured city states of terra, or auretian technocracy  weren't exactly famous bastions of democratic values.  

Why is everyone so sure that Sanguinious is going to come back? Horus killed him. Unlike the 'dead' Primarchs, who have theories for return, he doesn't have any theory or myth of return. Unless I'm missing something?! As far as I know the Primarchs that can't return are Curze, Manus and Sanguinious. But again, tell me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.  As I stated in another thread, the 3rd Edition-era Index Astartes: Hand of Justice (ie, the Iron Hands IA article) clearly states that after the Siege of Terra, the ghost of Ferrus Manus appeared to every living son of his and told them at when the final battle against Chaos arrived, he would return from the dead to lead the Iron Hands into that battle.  Now his body was ripped up by the Traitors at Istvaan, but there's always the in-unvierse rumor that the Mechanicus retrieved something or the possibility that Ferrus' ghost heads the Legion of the Damned.

Or he might be resurrected like the other dead Iron Hands using that forbidden process.

You're wrong. As I stated in another thread, the 3rd Edition-era Index Astartes: Hand of Justice (ie, the Iron Hands IA article) clearly states that after the Siege of Terra, the ghost of Ferrus Manus appeared to every living son of his and told them at when the final battle against Chaos arrived, he would return from the dead to lead the Iron Hands into that battle. Now his body was ripped up by the Traitors at Istvaan, but there's always the in-unvierse rumor that the Mechanicus retrieved something or the possibility that Ferrus' ghost heads the Legion of the Damned.

But the issue is that you are quoting fluff that is 20 years out of date. Unless GW have mentioned this recently, it is old news and probably doesn't exist anymore. Just look at how much fluff has changed.

I'm starting to think that Guilliman should throw the likes of Russ and Corax in prison for desertion :-P

The WD page mentioning how if they brought back Russ he would just slaughter everything until he gets killed made me think, "Yeah that's about right."

I don't think we are seeing Russ or Corax for a very long time. Russ I think will actually be the last or close to last Primarch to return.

Agreed, if the next 2-3 aren't; Vulkan/The Lion/The Sanguinor I'll be very surprised.

I'm guessing they'll try and do bigger releases with the remaining Primarchs, more similar to Wrath of Magnus than GSIII.

Guess list after Guilliman;

1. Mortarion, Death Guard stuff

2. Lion, Dark Angel stuff

3. Fulgrim, Slaanesh stuff

4. Sanguinor remodel, Blood Angels stuff

5. Angron, more KHORNE

6. Vulkan, Salamanders?

7. Alpharius (who is now loyal), dunno

8. Khan (who is now traitor/renegade), Chaos/Dark Eldar

9. Perturabo, Dark Mechanicum

10. Corax, Raven Guard?

11. Lorgar, Word Bearers

12. Russ, Space Wolves

I'm torn on Dorn showing up, as he should be an early return or just dead. Leading either Black Templars or Talons of the Emperor.

Honestly though, 8th Edition should start by giving the Xenos some attention. Orks, Nids and Necrons need toys badly.

That list is what I was thinking. Russ will be the last to return, and I expect him to be a. Wulfen touched, b. Master of the runes, and able to manipulate the threads of fate. C. Not the same as he once was viewed.

Also from the amount of fanbouism being oozed out of ishagau is he now a disciple of slaamesh or nurgle?

The fluff that Guilliman's been locked in stasis with poison in his veins and a slit across his neck is just as old. It's still in use.

Yeah, pretty much it's still valid until it's replaced.

Plus it already has precedence in a book.

I think soul skating might be a metaphor. I think rg mind might go a little berserk when hr sets the withered husk left of the emperor. I think he's gonna get pissed and might kill the high lords

Also, apparently GSII says that the first Genestealer Cult was discovered on Holy Terra. Imagine how hilarious it would be if Guilliman shows up to Terra and has to fight a Genestealer Cult.

RG: "NOTHING MAKES SENSE ANYMORE!!!" *shoots Patriarch in the face*

Custodian Guard: "All sense died with the Emperor."

RG: "Please put your armor on, fighting with half-naked super-super soldiers is super-super weird."

GSC on Terra is a crazy, crazy idea.

I hope it gets nipped in the bud.

On the contrary, I think it is absolutely awesome.

Custodes, SoS, Imperial Fists and more purging whole districts of Terra, the Throneworld completely paralyzed? Absolutely positively grimdark.

Custodes, SoS, Imperial Fists and more purging whole districts of Terra, the Throneworld completely paralyzed? Absolutely positively grimdark.

Yeah, it also makes no bloody sense.

Terra is the most heavily guarded planet in the Imperium, but "herr derr genestealers get everywhere" is apparently ok.

Nothing is going to come or go onto Terra, or exist for any length of time without undergoing extensive scans, inspections, and enough paperwork to bury a man alive in.

Grimdark is fine, a bunch of crazy alien hybrids with obvious signs of physical mutations (like, I don't know, extra arms) managing to both make it too, and stay amongst the most stringently watched population in the galaxy isn't grimdark, it's just silly.

Yeah, it also makes no bloody sense.

Terra is the most heavily guarded planet in the Imperium, but "herr derr genestealers get everywhere" is apparently ok.

Nothing is going to come or go onto Terra, or exist for any length of time without undergoing extensive scans, inspections, and enough paperwork to bury a man alive in.

Grimdark is fine, a bunch of crazy alien hybrids with obvious signs of physical mutations (like, I don't know, extra arms) managing to both make it too, and stay amongst the most stringently watched population in the galaxy isn't grimdark, it's just silly.

I dunno, even Terra's got a lot of slums. I'm not saying a GSC should be successful in taking Terra (it shouldn't) but it would be a fun plotline to explore. Also I didn't write Genestealers everywhere, they just discovered one cult.

It's probably just a small plug to justify using Custodes against GSC in a fluff game, but it's fun to explore.

Probably should talk about Guilliman again its getting off-topic.

GSC's wouldn't work on Terra on account of the boatload of psykers on Terra whose specific job it is to predict all incoming threats so they can be neutralized.

GSC's wouldn't work on Terra on account of the boatload of psykers on Terra whose specific job it is to predict all incoming threats so they can be neutralized.

Minor spoiler for a recent 40k series:

Well that didn't exactly work that well during "The Beast Arises" did it?

Anyways isn't it conceivable that the hive mind could evolve something to get around that? What about a pod that is a psychic blank to deliver the original gene stealers so they avoid detection?

Archived