Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Mesmerizing.

What a fascinating project, the head is brilliant but it is great to see older scenery kits being so cleverly used to add detail as well as the scratch building.

In a similar vein some of the wall of martyrs/aegis defense line/bastion etc guns might work well for secondary guns. Might get wastefully expensive though.

Coincidentally I just received some "Vengeance Weapons Battery" and "Firestorm Redoubt" kits today in the mail and yeah, they're a tad expensive.....

Skitarii Not Included:

My loyal readers must be getting tired of what looks like virtually the same images but trust me there is a lot of work that goes into the interim between sets of images.

http://i.imgur.com/rDghlATl.jpg

Plus this b@$tard just looks so GD cool between shots I just can't help taking photos.

http://i.imgur.com/YOGcJobl.jpg

It makes me regret taking so long to begin working on a God Machine.

http://i.imgur.com/INc4qXzl.jpg

Lots of people had asked but I just couldn't find the right initiative to begin the build.

Many thanks to the various unsung internet artists that contributed to this effort knowingly and otherwise. If you see your work in this please let me know.

Look Ma, No Clamps!

So finally after a week's work since I got the idea to use a defusing panel for the deck of the superstructure I'm able to demonstrate the 3D aspect of the chest area.

mdqKL3zl.jpg

Utilizing the waffle design recesses the hanging structures plug right in, require no gluing and so are readily removable for transporting and storing. 

rTI9dZFl.jpg

I wish I could say I planned it that way but no, the idea just came to me in a fit of desperate inspiration. 

ToyB8cdl.jpg

Another unplanned bit of luck, the corbel's outrigger buttresses were spaced just about perfect to span the corners of the deck almost as if it were designed that way. :Whew:

16u5G9Vl.jpg

VJgTk1nl.jpg

djaoAjxl.jpg

So with this accomplished and the front overhang somewhat justified I can begin the command compartments and design the main weapon arms this weekend.

Praise the omniadder... the Leviathan shall tread soon...

Dang man- the diffuser panel worked great... really excited to see the detailing and decking on the interior!

Strangely my son didn't like the exposed waffle pattern. I like it and it will aid in hanging accessory detail. 

The Corner Turrets:

I've become quite adept at handling the very brittle diffuser panel material. When I first began it seemed almost impossible to cut without mishap but now I have a feel for how much stress the individual cell walls can take. Of the original eight square feet of the panel I have about two sq ft left. I am going today to buy another sheet.

These (styrene compatible) panels, custom cut by me, to the various shapes required will figure prominently in my builds from now on as an easy way to add bulk without a lot of weight and material plus the square design makes for very accurate construction.

Now regarding the image below; these will be the internal bracing for the turrets. The first order of business is to cut and sand them to uniform size.

Q65n2z9l.jpg

Having cut out the turret frames last night, after sleeping on the problem, today I'll be adding skin to them for strength and preparing the connecting strips to flesh out the turret octagonal walls.

vsRWbDpl.jpg

Hopefully more images today...............

Corner Turrets:

Once again I am relying on my eye to proportion these components as the drawing I am working from is too vague and in perspective to measure accurately. 

zIhZwbRl.jpg

Note also my octogons' are sides are still not equal in width. I intend to correct this with subsequent layers of 0.030 inch styrene. 

fyHWAw5.jpg

My work area and basic tools here show nothing special is needed to make these models. There are tools that facilitate the manufacture; drills and belt sanders &etc but mostly I work with hand tools in front of the computer screen while I watch/listen to the news.

A3vSJjKl.jpg

Note the paint vial used as a spacer, It appears captured for the time being but only until seven sides are built. Then it will be removed. The reason for this will become apparent as the turret framework progresses.............

A Front Row Seat:

At what very likely be one of my failures. When I thought this up it seemed very simple.

3eVFIDyl.jpg

But the reality may be more difficult.

I'm trying to make a simple eight sided cone with strips all in one piece converging on the apex of the cone and being symmetrical all at once.

A worthy experiment but I'm afraid doomed to failure.....

zPAEMyUl.jpg

And you're here to watch Ha! 

Well D-mn me it worked. 

and no one is more surprised that I am.

While somewhat crude the shape and size is right and when all the embellishments are added it will be just about right. I am quite happy with the result.

TmxF3BWl.jpg

One thing that will have to be done is lower the bottom edge until it is even with the under deck cove molding.

2XsMkQAl.jpg

Now I just have to make 3 more.

Trammel Point Tool

One of these days I have to invest in a trammel point tool and today was today. Sometimes you need to draw an arc such as today where I needed a 8.1 inch radius arc. You can make an impromptu tool with a strip of styrene and two sharp pencils but the tool is so much quicker.

anyway:

rwNd7eYl.jpg

I need two truncated cones of the bottom of my turrets and the mouth wash cups are ideal for a 3D template to manufacture these.

kyWN68dl.jpg

I'm using 0.020 (thousands) inch styrene so its a bit stiff to form into a cone shape so its best to draw the arc segment over the sharp edge of a table applying pressure with your palm to impart a curve to the arc sheet. 

6f1nBOyl.jpg

Alternately you can wrap the arced pieces tightly and leave for a while secured wit rubber bands to impart an curve. 

Just an interim update of the weekend progress. I've decided to detail the corner turrets to practice the viability of my ambitious project. 

dBjttUBl.jpg

I was of two minds in how to finish the turret rooves, layered shingle vs the ubiquitous skulls and eagle and banners or CoD bitz. I opted for a layered plate armour effect you see; why, because it's cheaper, cooler and harder to do and I'm bat:censored: crazy.

Edited by WarriorFish
Swear filter dodge removed

Oh My God

Machine, I've not much to say about this  

RKeABLRl.jpg

NgLplqCl.jpg

TV9EGqkl.jpg

xQJa0Jcl.jpg

but the square recesses have proven their worth in that I can position the corbels anywhere I like (Within reason...) and the deck looks very promising regarding size and massiveness. 

I can't wait to start detailing this sucker.

A New Way To Do It:

This puts me in mind of a poem from my youth:

There was a young lady from Norway

Who hung by her heels in a doorway

She call to her lover

Come quickly my dear

I think I've discovered one more way.

q0VYaqgl.jpg

These lighting panels will revolutionize build large scale models. Right now I am building the gate house structure bastions of which there will be two with the Gate/Portcullis between.

WoLboWyl.jpg

To think these ready made panels have been available for decades and I've only just discovered them now.

Garderobe:

It took the better part of a week to build these turrets. I must be slowing down in my dotage. 

2OV212Rl.jpg

The shingles, try as I might ,still look too crude and the turrets look for all the world like two privy chambers on the corners of the bastion.

DKHRWFTl.jpg