Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

So There's An Eagle Back There?

Two days of cutting out Eagles and this is the result. Talk about exercise in futility, but at least I'll know that they are there.

bZonhqel.jpg

LfMovdfl.jpg

8b6Vib0l.jpg

Kz5zHCVl.jpg

vyW537Gl.jpg

Maybe after they are gilded they'll show up better. Anyway that's how they appear on the 3D model.

Clutchin' At Straws:

I've got this huge space between the deck and the Main Arm Support Yoke that has to be filled with some awesome Titiany stuff. So right now I am experimenting with Cod Bitz to try to com up with a unique techy/churchy facade that covers three floors of the interior behind the head. 

EEEvsknl.jpg

This is the first attempt and I'm not too pleased with the huge doors.

It seems to diminish the over all size of the figures compared to the Titan.

KOGotwhl.jpg

Stepping back the effect isn't as bad but I need a rational for the oversized doors and as I type this the Adeptus Mechanicus Tech Priest Dominus' are just the ticket and the Belisarius Cawl can use the double front doors

EuoBfvfl.jpg

Ha! Problem is solved. 

I planned to have the two outsized clergy overseeing the battle from the balcony vantage point all along and purely by accident I made the way they can access the balcony. Talk about serendipity. 

Skinning:

So it's time to skin the yoke. A straightforward application of 0.040 inch/ 1 MM styrene to cover all the internal structure.

YEq238ul.jpg

It takes a lot of styrene glue and a few gluing clamps but other than leaving an excess of styrene for slight variations in the surface, all the gluing takes is a bit of care and patience.

eYBMLvWl.jpg

When dried sand off the excess with sanding blocks and files.

O5BaWsyl.jpg

Worthy of note, I don't use green stuff, it makes for a sloppy looking interim stage so instead I just use Thin Cement and as I sand, the styrene dust settles in the cracks and the cement dissolves it so when dry the crack/blemish is repaired with the same material as the model.

yLXpxpwl.jpg

I Don't Care:

I'm posting it anyway. I'm trying to rationalize the second level engineering where I plan to have the reactor and some sort of mumbo jumbo altar to solicit favor from the Machine God. 

CA55iTnl.jpg

The first level replete with appropriate iconic bells and whistles but the second level were the real work be done has a more utilitarian aspect. 

bYt6RAXl.jpg

Yeah I know I have to move the hinges and the door at present leads to a ruddy great step down but all that will be addressed. 

aobzoOEl.jpg

What is of most significance is that purely by happenstance I managed to get the yoke in precisely the proper position to bisect the side panel perfectly. 

CA55iTnl.jpg

Too bad I can't manage to apply that precision in real life.  
Edited by Blackadder

Have you decided on what arm weapons the Titan shall receive?

For the time being I will go with the arm weapons which appear to be Gatling guns and make swap out main weapons at my leisure (Sure I will). I do have a problem with the huge caliber cannon directly above the head. It gives the construct too much of a toy-like aspect although what would replace it I have no idea. I'm open to suggestions.
How about a perched Imperial Eagle with its wings slightly open like it is about to take off? The Eagles head would be looking down like it is about to swoop down on a Heretic that it sees with its ever watchful all seeing eyes. Edited by CCE1981

Yes the upper level will have a balcony and the lower level will have a raised porch plus an apropos step. There will be buttresses and eagle support corbels. I also need to raise the head about half an inch to accommodate the front double doors with a porch of it's own. These things are in the works but first I had to insure the yoke was properly positioned which wonder of wonders it was.

Building titans and watching lectures on quantum mechanics(?), just another evening for Blackadder:)

This is so far above my level that I can't even think of much to say, I love the work you're doing and I wish I had more productive comments. It's a masterpiece in the making.

Imperial Eagle 2.0

Some major changes in the works in an attempt to improve on the overall appearance of the facade. There were a few things I was not satisfied with.............. 

Kz5zHCVl.jpg

The Imperial Eagle being one so here we have the 2.0 version which I believe will look better. 

dDwzPj4l.jpg

Right now just in paper while I adjust the size and space out the flight feathers better......

Eventually the overall effect will be something like this.......

betOwbQl.jpg

Which I believe will show up better and have a more practical value as an upper deck support corbel as well as  being decorative.

More to come later but now I have to take my Lithium; Hahaaaaaa!

Edited by Blackadder

Belisarius Cawl 

While I am rebuilding the various areas of the chest region I broke out the Belisarius Cawl to see how it will look on the command balcony.....

Assembly hint this model is very delicate and painting it will be a chore especially when completely assembled so I added what the manufacturer should have mainly a stem between the upper body and the lower. Just a piece of sprue about half an inch long carved down to fit in a hole drilled into the upper body.

The lower body has an irregular shaped hole that needs to be cut larger to receive the piece of sprue.

Right now I've only painted the skirt and cloak with flat red and grey primed the rest of the metallic parts which I believe I will finish in graphite and gold.

Uq1wtDKl.jpg

After the model is painted the two assemblies can be glued together or as I intend just put together dry. 

Imperial Eagle 2.01

Well I like it, Since I established how I was going to finish off the chest facade I've be quite busy with domestic projects but I finally finished the rough revamping of the Imperial Eagles stylized as they are to represent support corbels on either side of the chest.

jvQDwM0l.jpg

The problem has vexed me for the past month and I am very fortunate to have not compromised and just glued everything in place only to have to scrap a good deal of work had it been glued together. (I think that is a sentence.) So now we can settle into adding the eagle assemblies to the structure while showing they do have a purposeful function; something they hadn't before.

Eagle Corbel

The first of two eagle corbels is almost done so before I close it up I'd like to display the internal detail so you can see how it is made. Just pretend the waffle grid is all that is there and the skin and surface details are still to be installed.....

WIHarZxl.jpg

The three quarter end on view shows the approximate thickness of the finished corbel approximately a scale metric meter in thickness.

NoKhmgtl.jpg

I used the freehand drawing of the eagle on styrene for a template to shape the internal waffle grid and cut the grid with handsaw and belt sander.  

5ydqYB4.jpg

I glued the eagle to a 0.020 (0,50 MM) thick styrene sheet and cut it to fit the corbel frame glued and sanded the edges, added a reinforcing strip to the edge of the wing and glued on an accent stringer, filed off the excess reinforcing strip and glued the Gothic window gable to the end and Walla; it's ready to be installed on the model. 

g9jU0xZl.jpg

Whew, I can't believe it actually worked. Now that it is actually done I can show on the next one (I need two of these) the actual work. No point of showing the process if it actually failed to reach fruition. 

Yeah, that's how I work.

Good Things Happen:

Don't you hate it when good things happen to bad people. While Blackadder isn't exactly bad he's ill deserving of the luck granted him by the Omnissiah. This is coming out as if it were planned

a6m035Jl.jpg

Too many coincidences to be not under the guiding hand/claw/tentacle of the Machine God. The length verses scale of the Aquila, the size of the constructions on either side of the head. Even the placement of the weapons yoke vis-à-vis the upper deck have the aspect of pre-planning that I assure you is only the purest luck.

Likewise the corner reinforcement hanging buttresses constructions are of a size and shape that lend themselves to incredibly purposeful design planning that again is mere happenstance. What I thought was an eclipse of never to be seen detail turns out to be within the 40K penchant for over accessorizing. 

jusGg1jl.jpg

Even the tiny gabled window seen here in the shadows seems to fit ideally as the Master planned Whom I shall take this time to credit the 3D designer of the Emperor Titan I am currently using as a guide. One Mister Joazzz whose images I have posted elsewhere in this thread. I hereby credit him for the inspiration of this project.

2Pn6sOpl.jpg

It also gives me a direction of how to proceed with the underside of the superstructure platform. I now plan to capture the airyness of the between the Wars Warships of the hangar catapult bridge structure so often incorporated in their design. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5d/54/b6/5d54b67ed6c496fd49d2447f5a822c88--aircraft-carrier-wwii.jpg

Thank you for the replies,

Fury Of Activity

In a fury of activity I accomplished the second one of these corbels in record time surprising even myself. I need fit only a few pieces of plastic where they glued crooked 

67uAPQ6l.jpg

I will now begin some surgery to the chest plates to open up the area and give a more airy and interesting appearance to the underside of the deck.

ODrRmw7l.jpg

If these images look strange it is because I inverted them. The bas relief eagle shows up better for some reason inverted.

Back On Track:

I have finally seen where I went wrong

Yx2BTJrl.jpg

It took the removal of the triangular chest panels to show me where the error lay

3XGAaeGl.jpg

With the arms yoke exposed I realized I had broken the rule I cited early on in this construction where I stated that the main problem with most of these walking buildings is they looked too much like walking buildings.

cfR4l91l.jpg

So after I show the full effect of the front elevation of the torso I'll begin again on the side pieces under the yoke. The work don there previously will be incorporated elsewhere.

334lIW7l.jpg

The side doors will have to go.

More on that later; thanks for the reply.......

Meanwhile,

Sanding Blocks:

An indispensible item for making these models are my home made sanding blocks. 

F2lZQyQl.jpg

I got this idea from an old Radio Control model aircraft builder who always designed and built his own balsa and fabric models. The blocks as he demonstrated worked wonders shaping the soft balsa. He made the blocks himself using aircraft rug tape to affix the sandpaper to the blocks. When I graduated to scratchbuilt wooden model ship building I continued the practice of making these blocks refining the size so I could get two blocks out of a single sheet of sandpaper. Since I no longer build wooden ship models I have no need for the finer grit paper so I'm recovering my old 180 and 220 grit blocks with coarse 60 and 80 grits. I use 3M aluminum oxide paper as it is sharper than sand paper. first wrapping the block with the double back tape and then applying the paper to the block.

Give it a try if you are seriously into model building. It's better than any commercial sanding block in my opinion.

More on that later; thanks for the reply.......

Meanwhile,

Sanding Blocks:

An indispensible item for making these models are my home made sanding blocks.

https://i.imgur.com/F2lZQyQ.jpg

F2lZQyQl.jpg

I got this idea from an old Radio Control model aircraft builder who always designed and built his own balsa and fabric models. The blocks as he demonstrated worked wonders shaping the soft balsa. He made the blocks himself using aircraft rug tape to affix the sandpaper to the blocks. When I graduated to scratchbuilt wooden model ship building I continued the practice of making these blocks refining the size so I could get two blocks out of a single sheet of sandpaper. Since I no longer build wooden ship models I have no need for the finer grit paper so I'm recovering my old 180 and 220 grit blocks with coarse 60 and 80 grits. I use 3M aluminum oxide paper as it is sharper than sand paper. first wrapping the block with the double back tape and then applying the paper to the block.

Give it a try if you are seriously into model building. It's better than any commercial sanding block in my opinion.

been quietly following this for a good long while now, and I just want to start by saying you're a mad genius.

On the second point, my stepfather has entered that radio aircraft model world, and you're right in that a lot of the techniques can be ported over to our hobby, and I think I'll be passing along the sanding block idea to him as well. Should come in handy when we try to make a 40k aircraft actually fly.

And third note, it's a shame to see do much of the established work have to go, but at the same time I'm looking forward to seeing what innovation you replace it with.