Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

The crudeness of the tiles and their likeness to castle turrets or privy chambers is not a bad thing. It really lends to the gothic castle on a giant war engine look.

Besides which, what better way to show contempt for the enemies of the Emperor, than to provide facility for the crew to literally crap on them from a great height... :D

Main Armament Support Arms:

Everything about this model is outsized. I am not use to working with such huge dimensions. My work area is too small. It gobbles up material at a tremendous rate. Tubes of glue are expended at an  alarming rate. I remember when Testors glue was a dime a tube. Now it is $2.50 and these laminate panels take a lot of gluing even though I am saving money using the honeycomb material.

aFn2m35l.jpg

The two rounded ends are the main gun mounts. The cross arm is crudely shaped at present until the front skin is applied.

Everything will be laminated to save weight or the model would be incredibly top-heavy. This arm when completed will be about two inches thick (52 MM). so we're talking five layers of these. I'll need to make another plastic run for 0.040 inch (1,0 MM) sheeting.

Each one of the squares is a half an inch (13 MM)so you can get an idea of the dimensions I'm working with.

A maniac but in a good way; I see...... Ha! Thanks for the reply, :D

Main Gun Mount Yoke:

Today I finally finished the rough laminate build of the Gun Mount Yoke. This was a major production, tedious in the extreme and the amount of glue required was staggering. Two full tubes of Testors cement dribbled on each and every spine and cross piece with six sheets of 0.030 inch 0,075 MM styrene between the honeycomb sheets. Everyone in the house was high on the fumes with the exception of me strangely enough.

ZwfuvZkl.jpg

The Layers look rather crude now but I dressed the upper mount edge and plotted my Inner edge line culminating in a freehand yoke arch which seems satisfactory.

rdtke7Ml.jpg

Fortunately I have a built in French Curves in my mind's eye so I don't have to resort to using them. One of these days I'll have to learn how to use them. Ha!

pIAf5uil.jpg

Anyway a half hour or so on the belt sander and the job is done. Not too shoddy if I do say so; I'll have to finish sand by hand but I'm about ready to start detailing the yoke.

5Jf7Dshl.jpg

Weight May Be a Problem:

The component I am building is loosely based on a 'Warren Truss' bridge. 

gRsN5KT.jpg

albeit 'enclosed' with the trusses displayed on the exterior for interesting detail. Not being an engineer I don't know the actual nomenclature of the structure. It is 23 inches (59 CM) long between the penciled in guide lines labeled 'Beam' Excluding the roughed in ends.

This component as of right now masses 1.18 pounds (.505 kilo)

0SegaRSl.jpg

Naturally the model does not need such a massive structure but a "real Life" Emperor the span would need to support the Cathedral-like superstructure and the suspended wing arms which I believe would in some configurations be firing projectiles hence a nod must be given to recoil and mass/arm/moment. 

Many of the Emperor/ Battle Titans I have seen do not allow for real life weight and look to spindly especially in the legs and gun support mounts. Regardless on how you configure the details you must make your model believable in that the structure has to withstand the stresses of massive steel/ceramic/ adamantine  what-have-you structures. Also a bit of grace must be adopted for aesthetics when possible.

Main Weapon Yoke:

This turned out much better than I hoped it could. I'm basing it on the most ephemeral of images and I had only a smidgen of the overall detail.

hS1DBXMl.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to have it mounted beneath the superstructure decking.

fb9vjPnl.jpg

Once mounted I'll see how it melds with the overall plan but for now it sure looks like it means business. :D

I generally read this forum at work, so every four days or so. You definitely give me something to look forward to Blackadder!

After finally finishing building my Knight Atropos and looking at the pile of bits that comprises my Lucius Warhound, I truly appreciate the level of skill and commitment you have towards this hobby and scratchbuilding. Very inspiring as always.

Requests Honored:

I received a few requests for more information and photos so here's a different view of the same stage of the build. 

jJyiv0gl.jpg

The lollipop shaped appendages jutting from both sides of the model will eventually be the main weapons yoke.  It is a torsion box assembly built up layers of styrene 2 ft X 4 ft Florescent light lens $14 bucks a pop at the local HomeDepot. I am using this material extensively throughout this model mainly because it is much cheaper than Hobby Store styrene and is a great weight saving  building material.

L894Ziol.jpg

I commandeered the Master Bedroom in my home for a Den/Workshop/TV/computer room as it was the second biggest room in the house and all we did was sleep in it; ahem......

jTByLCdl.jpg

Finally it's my work cubical that is constantly being messed up. For some unknown reason I cannot keep it orderly and I hate wasting precious building time cleaning and vacuuming styrene dust. The above rear view shows I've done precious little to the interior decking and have used partially built subassemblies to buttress up the deck to take these images. 

Now with the yoke firmly in place I can address building the interior decks of which I believe there will be five including a railed walk around exterior veranda so Belisarius Cawl can watch the battle from above the fray. These interior decks will be in addition to the Cathedral/fortress superstructure so there will be plenty of room for accommodations of the Officers of the Church.

One of my greatest fears was to diminish my Warlord's stature by building an Emperor Titan.  In a side by side comparison the Warlord which stands about 28 inches tall will be dwarfed by the 40 inch tall Emperor. 

eIl2kKxl.jpg

ESOJPZal.jpg

bLeeiJil.jpg

I suppose that cannot be helped.

Thanks for the reply,

I've got a few days of catching up after a weekend of production.............

Unbounded Mania 

My mania is boundless once I fixate on a project. I mistakenly took a shortcut in the initial construction of the chest turrets and have found a better way to reproduce the Gothic windows indicated by the pointer arrow.

gv0PiSfl.jpg

I may or may not rebuild the other four penetrations above the wooden turret spheres but I do like the carrying on of the Gothic theme with styrene strip stock

DmgbbDGl.jpg

Meanwhile I'll complete the two single window sets and prepare them for installation.

A couple of skulls and gewgaws and they are ready for installing.

hpusarel.jpg

BTW I've found the author of this titan version on Deviant Art; one Boazzz who has produced a fantastic version of a Emperor Titan that I shall be following (with a Few modifications) for the rest of this build. 

50SkSIll.jpg

A tip of my hat to Mr Joazzz for his monumental inspiration.

Gack! I misspelled his sobriquet! It's Joazzz not Boazzz. Take a look at his breathtaking 3D renderings on 'DA' and 'Facepunch' 

Here's two more examples of his work.

kiC4SD9l.jpg

I heightened the contrast on the image below to accent the detail.

C1iQg0Dl.jpg

With these two shots I can pretty much extrapolate what needs be fabricated. They are so much better than that which I have been working from up 'til now.

Have you decided on what arm weapons the Titan shall receive?

For the time being I will go with the arm weapons which appear to be Gatling guns and make swap out main weapons at my leisure (Sure I will). I do have a problem with the huge caliber cannon directly above the head. It gives the construct too much of a toy-like aspect although what would replace it I have no idea. I'm open to suggestions.

Looking good. Are you going to create some prototype windows then replicate them via casting in resin? 
Instead of the huge cannon above head -- how about a orator tower complete with orator, servitors, and speakers / banner? Exclaim the Blessings and Commands of the Emperor unto all. 

Edited by Master Toddius

Casting always is a consideration but the prep is more time consuming than economically feasible......

Besides I consider casting, cheating. ;)

Play Time:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I got a hankering to do some detail so finding and modifying an Imperial Eagle I found on google and tracing it on a sheet of styrene is where I am right now. I intend to make half a dozen of these and some into a bas relief but first I'm starting with a sheet of 0,020 styrene for a durable pattern.

EQjvwt1l.jpg

Let me first say how much I like your work. I've  been following your posts for a long time. It takes time and effort to post in detail like you do. It is much appreciated and a very valuable tool.

The cannon over the head does look a bit cartoonish. My first thought was a missile launcher, but I think Master Toddius' idea for a orator tower is much better.

I always look forward to your posts. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead