8th Edition Rumours

MoGuy

Wow. Just saw on the Warhammer Community page that if reserves aren't in by turn 3 they ate destroyed (competitive games only). In addition, not every unit can be placed in reserve. Eg Termies can still teleport, Genestealer Cults can burrow and Ork Kommandos can be sneaky (their examples not mine).

Units that can't must be placed in turn 1. However, it uses the Trygon as an example of setting up from reserve, and it must be placed 9" away from an enemy model, but it has the ability to assault in the turn it shows up (and that you can use a Command Point to re-roll if it fails the charge).

Now I know this will hamper some lists, but I can think of a certain Traitor Legion that made use of thus kind of tactic

Terminator armies or raptor heavy armies for a new lease on life. Coming in where they want when they want, within charge range and being able to charge. We might actually see those units on the table outside of suicide squads. I'm glad deepstrike scatter is gone. GW was terrible with handling the mitigation. Like how Chaos first had the advantage over SM because Icons were more common and cheaper than the teleport homer and then GW took away the Icon's ability to mitigate deepstrike while giving SM the dropod that was basically a scatterless option.

I am glad it is gone also.  super annoying.  this is great not only for assault (if everyone outside the Trygon gets it, and I think they do) but also for Scarab Occult to get into inferno range while applying pressure elsewhere, perhaps in concert with a horde of Tzaangoors bum rushing the board.

As far as I know, we haven't seen the rules for terminator teleportation yet, just the Trygon's tunnel rule.  Terminators might be able to set up closer than 9", or might have to set up farther away.  They may or may not be prevented from assaulting the same turn.  They may or may not scatter.  They may or may not mishap.  I expect teleportation to work in exactly the same way as the trygon (minus the tunnel part, of course), and if it does I'll be quite satisfied with that indeed, And a fat terminator retinue touching down 9" from the enemy's command structure on the first turn will once again become a cornerstone of my armies, but I'm not going to be busting out and re-painting my terminators just yet, because while I'm hopeful for 8th edition in general, and have liked all the details I've heard so far, I'm trying very hard not to get any specific hopes up for details I haven't yet seen explicitly confirmed.

As far as I know, we haven't seen the rules for terminator teleportation yet, just the Trygon's tunnel rule.  Terminators might be able to set up closer than 9", or might have to set up farther away.  They may or may not be prevented from assaulting the same turn.  They may or may not scatter.  They may or may not mishap.  I expect teleportation to work in exactly the same way as the trygon (minus the tunnel part, of course), and if it does I'll be quite satisfied with that indeed, And a fat terminator retinue touching down 9" from the enemy's command structure on the first turn will once again become a cornerstone of my armies, but I'm not going to be busting out and re-painting my terminators just yet, because while I'm hopeful for 8th edition in general, and have liked all the details I've heard so far, I'm trying very hard not to get any specific hopes up for details I haven't yet seen explicitly confirmed.

We don't even know if you will be able to come in from reserves turn one yet 

We don't even know if you will be able to come in from reserves turn one yet 

We have the rules for the trygon tunnel, they're pretty explicit that you can, there would need to be a general restriction against first turn reserves in the same way there's a general restriction against holding them past turn 3 in matched play.  Such a restriction is possible, but seems unlikely at this point.

As for facebook, I'd really rather not.  Ugh...

After 10 minutes of sifting through comments, their social media servitors are dutifully refusing to give out any information not already published.  They said most, they didn't even commit to all, terminators have some sort of reserve rules, but nothing on how they may be similar or different to the previewed trygon tunnel.

If they let slip any specific terminator info in some post I didn't get to, please link it, but otherwise spending time on facebook is souring my otherwise high spirits, so I'm done looking for now.

I'd say the only bad thing is the part where you have to start so far away from enemy units

Again, we have no confirmation on terminator rules specifically.  They may or may not be able to set up closer.  They may or may not be able to charge the same turn.  They may or may not still scatter or mishap.  They will probably work pretty much the same as the trygon, in which case combi-meltas may no longer be our best load out for them (then again, with the weapon changes...), but there's no guarantee of that yet.

If you do set up >9", then the odds of a successful charge are about 52%, provided you're willing to burn a re-roll on the lowest die.  Unfortunately, I' just realized that these odds fall dramatically to less than 10% if you're trying to charge with both a character and a retinue, since they'll be two different units and you'll have to make that 9" charge separately with both of them, and you only get one command re-roll a turn.  So if these are the same as the teleportation rules, then teleporting terminators in general are a lot more reliable, but teleporting terminator character retinues in particular are still pretty questionable.

Instead of one big retinue and a character, however, you could try a character plus multiple small retinues, use your re-roll to try and get the hero in, then just hope at least one of the small units makes it in with them.

That will get pretty expensive pretty quick, though, especially as I fully expect the minimum unit size for chaos terminators to increase to 5, same as the box size.  Yabbadabba plus 3x5 terminators will be a pretty big chunk of your army, and still only deliver a first turn charge of at least abby + 5 terminators about 1/3 of the time.  And even then the enemy will be able to just withdraw whatever's left of the unit you charged and shoot the rest of their army at you on their following turn.

Don't get me wrong, if teleportation works the way trygon tunnels do then that's a nice improvement, but the big question for terminators will be what their effective durability ends up looking like after their extra wound and the new AP and whatever their relative points cost turns out to be.

So, I'm not saying this to start a "hate GW" flame trail. It is mean to be an observation and I am simply curious as to how everyone is reacting.

I've noticed that in the Faction Focuses, the Chaos Space Marine focus was very cut and dry. "Chaos Space Marines will be better, I guarantee" would be a basic summary I believe. I don't recall any mentions of future rules, just lots of words about how everything will be better.

Since then, the Faction Focuses have been remarkably more detailed in that they have included future rules and they have even explained some of the new synergies and how units will directly perform compared to how they have performed vs just very vague statements.

I'm just curious to see other's opinions on this.

We got rules for the Sons, don't forget - Nids got, what, a single special rule and a vague idea of how many wounds a 'Fex has?

And how the Trygon deep strike works now as well. ;)

So, I'm not saying this to start a "hate GW" flame trail. It is mean to be an observation and I am simply curious as to how everyone is reacting.

I've noticed that in the Faction Focuses, the Chaos Space Marine focus was very cut and dry. "Chaos Space Marines will be better, I guarantee" would be a basic summary I believe. I don't recall any mentions of future rules, just lots of words about how everything will be better.

Since then, the Faction Focuses have been remarkably more detailed in that they have included future rules and they have even explained some of the new synergies and how units will directly perform compared to how they have performed vs just very vague statements.

I'm just curious to see other's opinions on this.

Its because Gw is paying attention to their facebook feeds, everyone on facebook said that...so they took note and fixed it in the newer articles.

We got rules for the Sons, don't forget - Nids got, what, a single special rule and a vague idea of how many wounds a 'Fex has?

And we do know magnus has at *least* 13 wounds! as mentioned in the character article! 

And the eldar and Dark Eldar have gotten rules for how some of their new things will work as well.

And while I guess you can point the Rubricae datasheet as a reveal, it wasn't part of the Faction Focus. Akthough I guess does make a good after the fact.

I think the CSM was the first faction focus article and when the second one came out it seemed like GW told the play testers they could be more open with certain info based on customer feedback.

I don't think this translates into a CSM gets the bone again just more "Hey folks want more info, lets give them more tidbits."

Franklie's next article had more tangible info.

I believe as already suggested that the more informative faction focuses that followed ours were a reaction to the our article's lukewarm response, and not an indication that there's simply less to say about us or anything like that.

After the AM article came out with more information than the CSM article (probably due to FB comment backlash) a fan asked (politely) if, in light of the more informative AM article, they could please give us some more info about CSM. They responded by asking his favorite CSM unit. He said Rubrics. They said congratulations tomorrow's data sheet article will include the Rubric Marines' data sheet.

I was simply trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek...

We're so used to being "Codex:  Little Timmy's Punching Bag",  that pretty much anything at this point is a marked improvement!;)

Traitor Legions was a good *start* to repairing our faction,  but it still only gave back maybe a little over half of what GW gutted from our army when they nuked the 3.5ed codex.

Again, we have no confirmation on terminator rules specifically.  They may or may not be able to set up closer.  They may or may not be able to charge the same turn.  They may or may not still scatter or mishap.  They will probably work pretty much the same as the trygon, in which case combi-meltas may no longer be our best load out for them (then again, with the weapon changes...), but there's no guarantee of that yet.

Termi will charge after deepstrik (Facebook answer)

Archived