8th Edition Rumours

MoGuy

*shrug* if you think so.

They were simply too expensive for the rather small amount of small arms fire they could deal with in my experience.

I know so. 

*shrug* if you think so.

They were simply too expensive for the rather small amount of small arms fire they could deal with in my experience.

agreed with this! plus anyone I played which did use them i used to flood with dice from my smaller guns. all my big AP2 stuff went on tanks not terminators. The boys will flood them to death.

get a lot of ork boys / cultists / renegades vs 5 terminators

See the examples above. It'd be the same with Cultists, but Cultists would cost an extra ten points and would come without the ability to receive orders or take decent weapon options. Hell, the Guardsmen may have a plasma gun, which at least gives a 5/12 chance of killing per shot. 

Posted · Hidden by Iron-Daemon Forge, May 11, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Iron-Daemon Forge, May 11, 2017 - No reason given

We obviously disagree so your "knowing" means nothing to me. In case you didn't notice already.

We obviously disagree so your "knowing" means nothing to me. In case you didn't notice already.

God damn these statistics guys, eh?

Yeah I know right. Looking at statistics in a vacuum as if it's everything about a game and stuff. rolleyesclean.gif

Also yeah time to drop it. It's really not worth fighting over.

It's almost like you both have different environments in which you play the game, so have different gaming experiences. Have you considered that you're both right?

Termies have to deal with a lot of small arms fire - 2W deals with that, meaning failed 2+ saves is half as many dead terms.

Termies have to deal with a lot of AP2 fire - 2W,  their invunerable save, and getting a save against formerly AP2, now AP -3 weapons deals with that, meaning terms should get at least a 5+ from anything, and even then weapons that don't cause multiple wounds bounce off.

Chaos Terms got a lot more powerful with new combi rules, however I expect the points for combis to increase accordingly.

Yeah I mean we both agree on the actual important thing in the end. That they are more durable in 8th. The ridiculous thing we are fighting over is whether small arms fire used to be a threat for Terminators in 7th or not lol

I can see that one won't believe it with just the numbers in vacuum and a meta where you always only see like 10 Bolter and the rest AP2 weapons so i'm not even mad. :D

And why does it not tell us what the Icon of Flame and the Death  to the False Emperor does if every rule is supposed to be on one page? Also I thought melee weapons have a range as well now? Pretty sceptical on this one.

Where is this from and how do we know it's verified?

It seems like today's article was published early by mistake and was quickly removed, but some quick thinking folks over at La Voz de Horus used Feedly to look at it. This is what the whole article supposedly says:

"In Warhammer 40,000, a unit’s rules can be found on its datasheet.

Currently, a lot of these rules will reference universal special rules, and you might need to do some digging to find a specific rule in the main rulebook, or just be really good at memorising a lot of rules.

Not for the new Warhammer 40,000 – universal special rules are out, and all the rules for a unit will appear on its datasheet – no more lugging a demi-library of books to every game night to ensure you have all the rules you need. Even the rules for weapons will be on there for the most common weapons the unit is likely to be equipped with. The best way to show you is with an example. We’ll be using the Rubric Marines Datasheet, as requested by Marco Tonino on our Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

Ok, lots going on in there, so let’s look at a few elements.

At the very top right, we have the Troop icon, which represents the unit’s battlefield role. There are actually two ways to use Rubric Marines, either as an Elite choice in a Chaos Space Marines force (maybe belonging to a sorcerer pledged to the Black Legion or a renegade warlord), or if your detachment is pure Thousand Sons, they can be Troops, much like today.

Next to that we have Power Level, which we’ll look at in detail tomorrow, but for the moment, suffice to say that it is a quick and easy mechanism for balancing in less competitive narrative or open play games.

Then we have the unit profile. You can see the Rubric Marine is, perhaps unsurprisingly, quite similar to a Tactical Marine we’ve seen already. These guys are a little slower than their non-dust brothers, whereas the Sorcerer leading the unit is faster and a more deadly close combat fighter with his extra attack.

Wargear options are listed next, along with stats for their weapons. Most units have all their weapons on their datasheet, though some with a lot of options (Space Marine Tactical Squads, for example) will list only the most common.

Next we have Abilities. Universal special rules are out, so any time a unit acts differently to what its stats might indicate, the rules for how will be in here. The bulk of these rules will be written in full, but there might occasionally be an army-wide, or very common rule for a given faction that isn’t, though these will always be in that same publication with page references, to make finding it easy.

After the special abilities and psychic powers are the keywords. There are two types of these.

The first, faction keywords, are what you use when selecting your detachments for a Battle-forged army, and often trigger in-game effects regarding what units gain benefits from certain Characters or can travel in specific Transports.

Other keywords are not involved in selecting an army, and usually have more general battlefield effects – for example, perhaps only Infantry can gain the full benefit of certain types of cover.

So, there are Datasheets and some juicy new Thousand Sons rules to speculate about.

We’ll be back tomorrow to look at points and power levels."

As a Black Legion player, I am rubbing my hands at the thought of the Terminator rules

I'm totally pledging my cause to the Black Legion if we get a new Abbadon and Chaos Terminator models

All about that speartip

As a Black Legion player, I am rubbing my hands at the thought of the Terminator rules

I'm totally pledging my cause to the Black Legion if we get a new Abbadon and Chaos Terminator models

All about that speartip

I am wondering about the whole scatter mitigation thing; apparently there is no scatter dice this edition? I have been deepstriking for a while now so hoping for a better situation.

Also, planning on finally getting my act together and sorting my Spartan out too. Taxiiiii!

Posted · Hidden by Excessus, May 11, 2017 - offtopic
Hidden by Excessus, May 11, 2017 - offtopic
I'm excited about obliterators. The twin-linked rules along with split fire seems like they are going to increase their offensive ability, and the possibility of a reliable deepstrike will help as well. Drop them 12" and pump out twin-linked plasma, then walk up and hit them with 2d6 automatic flamer hits, and finally charge in with strike first powerfists. :)
Posted · Hidden by Excessus, May 11, 2017 - collateral damage
Hidden by Excessus, May 11, 2017 - collateral damage

I'm excited about obliterators. The twin-linked rules along with split fire seems like they are going to increase their offensive ability, and the possibility of a reliable deepstrike will help aaa well. Drop them 12" and pump out twin-linked plasma, then walk up and hit them with 2d6 automatic flamer hits, and finally charge in with strike first powerfists. smile.png

twin linked meltaguns too.

yes, out of everything the consolidation of each units rules onto (mostly) its own page is the thing I'm most excited about so far.

I have to say, the thousand sons unit looks pretty dangerous.  Everything will depend on relative points values, of course, as that's the biggest thing tripping up the existing rules, but -2 save modifiers all round, some effective looking melee options on the champ (including d6 sutohits with the flame pistol), no more warp flame malarky, etc.  And a valid unit choice for heretic astartes - though apparently they're elites if you aren't playing dedicated thousand sons.

The soul reaper cannon also looks very nice, at least in 'battle rating' games where you don't pay extra for gear upgrades, especially with the changes to heavy weapons - including that you can fire it on the move (without penalty to hit thanks to the rubric rules), and can target a different enemy from the rest of the squad.

Again, though, we'll see how the points thing looks.

The flamers and cannon will be fantastic for killing MEQs as well as light / medium vehicles / MCs. And 1K Sons will have solid defenses versus both low-level and high-level weapons. Excellent. Love how verstitile you can make the squad - 2 or 3 warpflamers, 1 soulreaper cannon, warpflame pistol on the sorc, and then 6 inferno bolters in a 10-man squad. That's a unit that can medium- and short-range fire at anything except the really big stuff.

I hope Plague Marines get some new, worthwhile shooting options because right now I would take 1K Sons any day if I wanted 8 to 24" shooting board control in front of my long-range units, rather than a bunch of normal bolters and a few plasma guns.

Archived