8th Edition Rumours

MoGuy

This happened...

http://i.imgur.com/DeyMCAC.jpg

I wouldn't read too much into it. They pretty much tell us - regardless of army - every new release that, "this is going to be devastating!" and in most cases, they're really not.

I mean what have they shown so far? rubrics are pretty "devestating" from the statline/guns they have.....

Twin-linked guns become a torrent of fire blitzing everything with shots, flamers are statistically more powerful then last edition as long as you roll "average" (but we all know how that goes) 

Primaris marines are.... a troop choice with ap-1 on their guns and slightly longer range, more durable. Pretty good. (*balanced* for a loyalist release, for once) 

I mean everything previewed is at least decent, if not fantastic. Barring a couple of rules changes that bother me I am fairly happy with whats been previewed. 

Can't wait to charge with Dirge Rhinos into enemy infantry! :D
Now I just hope Destroyer Blades are worth it as well. Some AP on the attacks or better to-hit chance maybe.

Is it just me or can Termis/Raptors etc. now use a Rhino? The USR like bulky etc. will be gone and instead transports will work like this "a Rhino may transport up to 10 models from [enter keyword like "Chaos Space Marine" here]". Thus you could just drop some Termis in there and roll them up the field. Sweet! Unless of course they make exceptions on all model entries. Example for Termis: "This unit may only embark/begin the game in a Land Raider" etc. 

But since Land Raider might actually be good for once it's not even that big of a deal if Termis can't use Rhinos.

USRs may be gone, but that doesn't mean units like rhinos won't have their own rules saying they can't transport stuff like raptors and terminators, so it's too early to say I think. Plus it would be kinda silly I think if all sorts of units could just be transported in rhinos now, they are really just meant to be for basic infantry. Plus as you said land raiders should be better so not such a huge deal. Still really want to see what the toughness/wounds of a land raider will be. 

They said they would use keywordsome to limit it I think. Nevertheless, you'll want to use a LR for termies since it hurts when vehicles explode...

Well so far everything we have seen was almost an exact copy from AoS. So it would be reasonable to assume that transports will work akin to those of AoS. Let's take a look at the Arkanaut Ironclad:

Vessel: An Arkanaut Ironclad can carry 20 Skyfarer models in relative safety.

Set-up: When you set up an Arkanaut Ironclad, units of Skyfarers can start the battle embarked within it instead of being set up separately – declare which units are embarked inside the Arkanaut Ironclad when you set it up.

Now just replace "Arkanaut Ironclad" with "Rhino" and "Skyfarer" with "Chaos Space Marines". GW could have made restrictions for the transports in AoS as well but they didn't. So why keep those restrictions on the 40K vehicles when all their other core rules change?

In the end I think we won't be able to transport Termis in Rhinos but right now I think it might be possible. 

they are really just meant to be for basic infantry

Agreed. However, the design of a unit not always carries over to their rules. Heck, half of my Dark Eldar units are supposed to be utterly lethal. Wyches are meant to be elite Gladiators that kill other units by a thousand cuts yet they just suck at close combat. I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that GW has a strange habit of ignoring the design of their own units.

I just love that vehicles can absorb Overwatch for their unit.

Drop off passengers, hurtle forward 12", fire combi weapon, assault target and let the passengers follow up.

If the Destroyer upgrade is still a thing, I could definitely imagine myself using it more often with this.

I just love that vehicles can absorb Overwatch for their unit.

Drop off passengers, hurtle forward 12", fire combi weapon, assault target and let the passengers follow up.

If the Destroyer upgrade is still a thing, I could definitely imagine myself using it more often with this.

Combi-flamer may finally get some play.

I think every Chaos player is thinking the same thing Land raider/rhino rush hopefully with combi-flamers, dirge casters, and destroyer blades.

I'm actually thinking of defiler, obliterator, terminator, and renegade knight spam. Led by spam of flying daemon princes of course.

I assume deep striking obliterators (I hope turn 1 is allowed, did they talk about that yet?) is friggin OP as balls... but once again all this depends on the points costs right?

The few Iron warrior troops I have will man the plasma obliterator (do you see a theme yet) fortification(s). Still curious to see what sort of detachment the forts are taken in.

I wish we had some open-topped Rhino or Landraider so I could play awesome metal with my Noisemarines while crashing into the enemy lines. :D

I wish we had some open-topped Rhino or Landraider so I could play awesome metal with my Noisemarines while crashing into the enemy lines. biggrin.png

That's what the blastmaster shooting out of the top is doing!

If you can still shoot out of non open topped transports

I wish we had some open-topped Rhino or Landraider so I could play awesome metal with my Noisemarines while crashing into the enemy lines. biggrin.png

Yeah I really liked having Lucius and another Doom Siren in a Rhino....in the rare case it even survived long enough. :P

Heh ill be taking a Chaos Proteus as I love the armoured model and now I can assault out of it ill be using it alot of course itll be backed up by a heap of contemptors, plague marines and plague Hulks as well as as mjch cheap cannon fodder in the form of daemons, cultist or the so called rumoured plage zombies (God I hope so)

Berzerkers in a Kharybdis slamming down alongside deep striking terminators, more Berzerkers in transports zooming up the board alongside juggerbikes, spawn, and maulerfiends. Can't wait!

I guess we have no clue how many points anything will cost, but Reece of Frontline Gaming mentioned a 2000 point game between him and Frankie finishing in about an hour, though they were trying to play fast. I'd love to play closer to 3500, based on today's points. If I can do that in 3 hours or less I'd be so happy

Yeah I really liked having Lucius and another Doom Siren in a Rhino....in the rare case it even survived long enough. tongue.png

and now vehicles get to overwatch I think speculation says? That's alot of overwatch pain. I assume firing out of firepoints is still a thing.

So far the only for sure we got for firing from vehciles is the Drukhari and I think that was Wyches firing pistols from their open topped vehicles. So we can't assume it's going to work the same in 8th.

With overwatch for vehicles we might see more weapon options on vehicles combi-flamers especially and possibly havoc launchers more often. I dont think GW was wrong when saying flamers would be the go to special weapon in this edition.

My questions is what about possession, Warpflame gargoyles, dozer/destroyer blades and extra armor.

I sure would love for havoc launchers and reaper autocannons to be actually good for once.  Don't get me wrong, I love ecto-balers and warp-warpers as much as the next guy, but havocs and reapers are the weapons that most speak to black legionnaire in me.

Berzerkers in a Kharybdis slamming down alongside deep striking terminators, more Berzerkers in transports zooming up the board alongside juggerbikes, spawn, and maulerfiends. Can't wait!

I guess we have no clue how many points anything will cost, but Reece of Frontline Gaming mentioned a 2000 point game between him and Frankie finishing in about an hour, though they were trying to play fast. I'd love to play closer to 3500, based on today's points. If I can do that in 3 hours or less I'd be so happy

I have so many Zerkers. Painted possessed, Rhinos, Maulerfiends,and even Khorne marines, all basically useless stuff that I forced myself to play as KDK.

It's a very tempting proposition for me to go Work Eaters whole hog because I struggled so much with watching Bloodthirsters die to chaff, Khârn get blocked in overwatch, and here finally they may actually work.

Archived