What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

Damo what loadout did your tartaros termies have? They seem like the most fluffy option for the rg given their larger move...

Sergeant: Plasma/Chainfist.

Reaper Autocannon/Chainfist.

3xLC marines.

Oddly enough, that combination has been really effective in 8th so far.

Played a 2v1 game over the weekend, 50PL of Raven Guard and 50PL of Craftworlds versus 100PL of World Eaters. Fairly epic game.

Turn 1, we blow up a predator and kill a few infantry. Not spectacular, but definitely hurt. The World Eaters got closer. Turn 2, we killed a lot more infantry and popped the Maulerfiend - we felt we were doing really well.

... And then they got there.

In a single round, the entire force of Eldar and Raven Guard had been reduced to 8 models. Two Dreadnoughts, a Captain, a Farseer, a Warlock, a Vyper, and a wounded squad of Windriders. We were still staring down Khârn, a Daemon Prince, and a host of Raptors with Berserker backup. Things looked quite dire.

Turn 3 opened with the volleys of Dreadnoughts attempting to clear the front line chargers, holding the line for the cowardly Xenos to fall back. And then the Raven Guard proved their mettle to their Aeldari onlookers by doing the one thing they could not: We charged. Combat was glorious, but still the Heretics held, and charged in turn. One dreadnought fell. Captain mortally wounded, but still fighting. The fourth turn held only melee, seeing the Eldar joining the fray - The Captain slayed Khârn with a blow from his Thunderhammer but was immediately dispatched by the remaining berserkers. Dreadnought Interred Brother Daomun Hedo, in the MVP play of the game, tanked the full might of the Daemon Prince for two full turns before tearing the wings from the beast and ending its reign of terror.

Chaos Marines player conceded at the death of his two leaders, claiming not enough remaining forces to overtake the coalition remnants.

It was the sort of battle you write fluff about.

I typically always enjoy playing against World Eaters. Even if you lose, the game is typically a blast and so much stuff dies. When those berserkers hit its rough!

Damo what loadout did your tartaros termies have? They seem like the most fluffy option for the rg given their larger move...

3xLC marines.

Cool thanks, that sounds pretty flexible and has LC which is important. How do you use them, could you run them alongside vv or a ironclad?

3xLC marines.

Cool thanks, that sounds pretty flexible and has LC which is important. How do you use them, could you run them alongside vv or a ironclad?

I'll start a new thread :)

A Thawk in an 1850 tournament?

That's just mean. I mean, I'm anticipating looks of consternation on bringing its baby brother to a 2000 point tournament.

You might win by virtue of everyone trying and failing to bring it down.

I usually don't play any tournaments, and only managed to play a handful of games of 8th edition so far. Against typical tournament players, I don't have the slightest clue of what to do, except aiming for "best painted". The missions are objective based, and putting half of my points in one model isn't a good starting point for that. My guess would be, either my opponents have a lot of AT, or at least I won't get tabled all the time. Maybe it even works out trolling CC heavy opponents by relocating my footsloggers all the time... :whistling:

Edited by MajorNese

I tabled Necrons last night. She found out that mid to long range shooting is not the way to go vs Raven Guard. She ran a Monolith, 2 C'Tan Shards, an Annihilation Barge, a couple Squads of Warriors, a Squad of Immortals, Death marks, a Canptek Spider, the flying crescent of doom, and 2 named characters. She made the classic mistake of going for the kill in an objective game. However, by turn 3, I was way ahead, and she tried to split her efforts between the objectives and killing my guys. She almost had me a few times. It felt like I had to focus down each of her units to put them down for the count. If she had been more aggressive, rather than trying to consolidate, I would have really been in trouble.

Four games with my thunderhawk tournament confusion list...

-Thunderhawk Gunship, with 7 intercessors, 5 carbine reivers and a primaris captain

-2x5 laz0rbacks with 5 tacs (flamer)

-regular captain

-tarantula sentry guns

-thunderfire cannon

aimg_3747itu51.jpg

aimg_3749ayucx.jpg

First was a test game on the evening before the event. A friend brought "Ultramarines" (usually IH) with...5 dual storm cannon leviathans, bare chapter master/lt. for hit/wound reroll bubbles, and IG mortar squads to get around the Relic rule. In short, the typical cheese list, with an unkillable blob of firepower. 20 shots of AP-2 autocannons, hitting on 2s and rerolling pretty much everything will just murder ANYTHING. T8 14W 2+/4++ is hard on one model, let alone 5.

Thunderhawk killed one Levi with all of its shooting...and was shredded by the remaining 4 levis in one go next turn. The rest of the game was a retreating battle, that killed a second levi and all his mortars until the end, while I was reduced to one captain and 3 tacs. Anything getting shot by a Levi was essentially dead, and they just advanced across the board uncontested. Locking them in CC didn't work either, as they counted as UM for that event.

On the event, 3 more games. Ynnari, chaos, IG, each with different custom missions.

Ynnari was what one would expect from Eldar...serpents, hemlocks, fire drakes, psykers, Yncarne. Seized the initiative, and started killing the TH. -1 to hit the flyer is irrelevant when hemlock D-weapons, smite etc. all just auto-hit and (in case of psykers) auto-wound. Actually took 3 rounds to kill the TH, because the serpents just shredded half of the remaining army in the meantime. Best action of the TH in the game was to explode in the face of the smiting dual spiritseers (and their fire dragon meat-shield), killing all mentioned units in one big boom. Rest of the game went as expected, the disembarking primaris contested the midfield for a while while getting firedraked, a lone firebase of mine survived in the uneventful corner. With killpoints, at least made it to a 22-25 loss.

Next game was chaos...tzeench psyker character spam, and Alpha Legion havocs. As before, lots of psyker shenanigans (with lots of different ways for saying "Spell worked, you're instantly dead without any of us rolling anything"), and most of his stuff just didn't want to die. His havocs were overrun by primaris and a maulerfiend was killed after almost shredding the second laz0rback, but except for that most stuff just remained as is. Played powerlevel-based killpoints, he lost 30% of the army, I lost 85%.

Third game was against IG. Stormlord, dual wyvern/manticore/LemanRuss/chimera...obviously Catachans, to reroll number of shots. He focused on the razorbacks first (note a battlefield role, 2VP for every destroyed unit, he chose transports). That gave my TH time to actually do something...and it instantly reduced the stormlord to 3W, to be picked off by the remaining units next round. A bit of uneventful long-range shooting happened, then my primaris dropped all over his parking lot, and locked 4 to 5 tanks at a time in CC. Without much to fear, the TH went into hover mode for the first time, and started shooting and attacking the remaining tanks. With that footprint, I could comfortably lock several vehicles in CC while capturing an objective some 10" away.

Most ridiculous part of that, the TH actually knocked a wound out of the Leman Russ in CC...just to lose a wound when getting rammed back. That was one stubborn driver. But with IG controlling no more objectives (which generate Maelstrom cards) and me controlling most, I got to a good 20-10 victory.

In the end, placed 4th out of 8. Not bad, considering my previous experience with (even local) tournaments, where just WAAC gamers fielded cheese lists of unpainted (and partially built) army of the day. This was a pleasant one in contrast, which I'll visit next time. Maybe not with such a confusing list, and I definitely need to step up the Mortal Wounds game. 2 out of 3 armies threw around MW like candy, that wasn't exactly healthy...

Nice work major

Did anyone complain or were they in awe of a real life THawk?

I managed to build and prime my dakka aggressors and traded some 1950s admech space robots for a box of 10 reivers. :D

Really need to get some painting in at some point.

Nice work major

Did anyone complain or were they in awe of a real life THawk?

None complained, everyone was interested in seeing it in real life. With 40% of my points in one model, and even more inside the transport, it wasn't even remotely an effective list. And with just 3+/5++, those autocannons/storm cannons/psykers/anything with D2 will erode the 30W quickly. If used as the gunboat of my list, it just doesn't threaten enough, and if used to transport elite units, it costs even more points. Maybe more useful at 2500p or more...

Four games with my thunderhawk tournament confusion list...

-Thunderhawk Gunship, with 7 intercessors, 5 carbine reivers and a primaris captain

-2x5 laz0rbacks with 5 tacs (flamer)

-regular captain

-tarantula sentry guns

-thunderfire cannon

aimg_3747itu51.jpg

aimg_3749ayucx.jpg

First was a test game on the evening before the event. A friend brought "Ultramarines" (usually IH) with...5 dual storm cannon leviathans, bare chapter master/lt. for hit/wound reroll bubbles, and IG mortar squads to get around the Relic rule. In short, the typical cheese list, with an unkillable blob of firepower. 20 shots of AP-2 autocannons, hitting on 2s and rerolling pretty much everything will just murder ANYTHING. T8 14W 2+/4++ is hard on one model, let alone 5.

Thunderhawk killed one Levi with all of its shooting...and was shredded by the remaining 4 levis in one go next turn. The rest of the game was a retreating battle, that killed a second levi and all his mortars until the end, while I was reduced to one captain and 3 tacs. Anything getting shot by a Levi was essentially dead, and they just advanced across the board uncontested. Locking them in CC didn't work either, as they counted as UM for that event.

On the event, 3 more games. Ynnari, chaos, IG, each with different custom missions.

Ynnari was what one would expect from Eldar...serpents, hemlocks, fire drakes, psykers, Yncarne. Seized the initiative, and started killing the TH. -1 to hit the flyer is irrelevant when hemlock D-weapons, smite etc. all just auto-hit and (in case of psykers) auto-wound. Actually took 3 rounds to kill the TH, because the serpents just shredded half of the remaining army in the meantime. Best action of the TH in the game was to explode in the face of the smiting dual spiritseers (and their fire dragon meat-shield), killing all mentioned units in one big boom. Rest of the game went as expected, the disembarking primaris contested the midfield for a while while getting firedraked, a lone firebase of mine survived in the uneventful corner. With killpoints, at least made it to a 22-25 loss.

Next game was chaos...tzeench psyker character spam, and Alpha Legion havocs. As before, lots of psyker shenanigans (with lots of different ways for saying "Spell worked, you're instantly dead without any of us rolling anything"), and most of his stuff just didn't want to die. His havocs were overrun by primaris and a maulerfiend was killed after almost shredding the second laz0rback, but except for that most stuff just remained as is. Played powerlevel-based killpoints, he lost 30% of the army, I lost 85%.

Third game was against IG. Stormlord, dual wyvern/manticore/LemanRuss/chimera...obviously Catachans, to reroll number of shots. He focused on the razorbacks first (note a battlefield role, 2VP for every destroyed unit, he chose transports). That gave my TH time to actually do something...and it instantly reduced the stormlord to 3W, to be picked off by the remaining units next round. A bit of uneventful long-range shooting happened, then my primaris dropped all over his parking lot, and locked 4 to 5 tanks at a time in CC. Without much to fear, the TH went into hover mode for the first time, and started shooting and attacking the remaining tanks. With that footprint, I could comfortably lock several vehicles in CC while capturing an objective some 10" away.

Most ridiculous part of that, the TH actually knocked a wound out of the Leman Russ in CC...just to lose a wound when getting rammed back. That was one stubborn driver. But with IG controlling no more objectives (which generate Maelstrom cards) and me controlling most, I got to a good 20-10 victory.

In the end, placed 4th out of 8. Not bad, considering my previous experience with (even local) tournaments, where just WAAC gamers fielded cheese lists of unpainted (and partially built) army of the day. This was a pleasant one in contrast, which I'll visit next time. Maybe not with such a confusing list, and I definitely need to step up the Mortal Wounds game. 2 out of 3 armies threw around MW like candy, that wasn't exactly healthy...

I always love the shots of your raptors, the sand bags always stand out as awesome to me.  In particular they really work well for tarantulas!

I'm curious, it sounds like a Thunderhawk can actually transport Primaris Marines?  If so, it'll be the only non-primaris vehicle which is capable of such, I wonder if FW forgot the "no primaris" wording.  ( Goes off the grumble about transports and Lias's rules all not working with Primaris... ).

Was your tournament playing with the standard rules for going first?  Or did it have the ITC / Chapter Approved +1 rolloff in place.  It could have been amusing to bring a libby and cast might of heroes on the Thunderhawk to boost it's toughness by one and make it even harder to kill!

Great writeup, thanks for posting it.

I'm curious, it sounds like a Thunderhawk can actually transport Primaris Marines?  If so, it'll be the only non-primaris vehicle which is capable of such, I wonder if FW forgot the "no primaris" wording.  ( Goes off the grumble about transports and Lias's rules all not working with Primaris... ).

Was your tournament playing with the standard rules for going first?  Or did it have the ITC / Chapter Approved +1 rolloff in place.  It could have been amusing to bring a libby and cast might of heroes on the Thunderhawk to boost it's toughness by one and make it even harder to kill!

The thunderhawk can explicitly transport primaris. Either 30 power armour (or less if jump pack/terminator/centurion) or 15 primaris (gravis count as 2). No mixing though, either regulars or primaris. For the points, you could get 3 repulsors (which can transport twice the number), so that's hardly the most points effective way to use it.

The tournament used +1 to roll-off, but that didn't help. Game 1 and 2 I got seized, 3rd rolled badly and failed to seize myself. I only considered ever bringing a psyker after this event, and toughness increas wouldn't have done much. Most wounds were lost to mortal wounds (psyker spam, psyker spam everywhere) or just massed fire with AP-1 and possibly 2D. One lost to cultists with assault rifle, one to getting rammed back by a Leman Russ. Toughness is nice, but armour save is the problem...

Good luck! I have some friends from KC headed there too look out for the harlies jumping over chess pieces. :D

Will do.

Vyper said something about maybe swinging by too.

I'll be easy to spot. I'll be playing Raven Guard while wearing a Raven Guard shirt.

Played two games vs Eldar. The RG put in two good showings and won both, but they were close.

The first was against about a billion Wave Serpents and Dire Avengers. We were playing annihilation and it came really close to the wire.

I legitimately hate Dark Reapers, they were mulching things left and right.

I tried a new combo for STFS and used Tartaros terminators. I went second in that game and struggled to get momentum, until I was able to take out his Farseers with the terminators. To be honest, the -3 AP shuriken weapons were a massive problem, massed fire gunning through everything.

The seond list was Hemlock and Aspect heavy, but this time I was able to get involved with first turn. The Tartaros, Captain and Hellblasters jumped in with STFS and just caused merry hell. Killed Reapers, DA and Farseers in one hit. Then the Hemlock got involved. That thing is evil. It started melting my devastators for fun and just wouldn't die until I got a very lucky set of rolls with a  boltgun... Ultimately, the Eldar died as I had been able to pin them in with STFS, but I really hate them. And with new Eldar rumourings, I think I'll hate them more...

Then the Hemlock got involved. That thing is evil. It started melting my devastators for fun and just wouldn't die until I got a very lucky set of rolls with a  boltgun... Ultimately, the Eldar died as I had been able to pin them in with STFS, but I really hate them. And with new Eldar rumourings, I think I'll hate them more...

Yep, that thing is just broken. Ooooh, it hits worse when damaged, but still auto hits on S10/MW (what?!?). GW teasers say they got even cheaper, and get an additional -1 to hit if Alaitoc. And a -1 with their psyker shenanigans. It's just as if GW wanted everyone to hate Eldar...again...

I need a Raven Guard shirt...

Wish granted: 

http://teechip.com/deliverance-war#id=0&c=131313&sid=fruit-of-the-loom-cotton-t&s=front

Sale ends in 4 days. 

Cool. And there's a coffee mug... hrm... what better way to spread the Cult of the Emperor at work?

My Raven Guard disappointed the Emperor.

0-3

I expected as much, though. Especially when I saw 3 different players show up with Magnus AND Mortarion.

Also, Shadowswords are nasty. Dropped my pristine Fire Raptor with one shot from its volcano vannon.

Played 2 fun games today, both at FLGS.  Won the first game, 10-9, and lost the second game 8-9.

First game, 1000 pts. vs Death Guard

Me: (battalion detachment)

Captain on Bike, Thammer, Combi Grav, Armor Indomitus

Lt on foot, power sword, mc boltgun

5 Scouts, Sniper, Camo

5 Scouts, Heavy Bolter

5 Tacs, missile launcher,

Redemptor Dread with macro plasma, 2 storm bolters, Icarus pod, heavy onslaught gatling

5 Bikes, 2 grav guns, 1 combi grav

5 Devastators, 4 lascannons, cherub

Opponent: (spearhead detachment)

Daemon Prince

Biologus Putrifier (I think that's what it was)

Hellbrute

2 Tanks with mortar cannon things in them

5 Terminators, various weapons

This was a fairly new opponent so I took it easy on him. We played Dawn of War and got the deployment zone where 1 player had a 24" circle in middle and the opponent had all 4 corners to deploy in. I lost the roll-off, so got the center.  Luckily, he didn't have enough models to take advantage of the 4 corners, so I was able to SFTS my devastators to get them out of the inner circle deployment zone. He set up with termies in deep strike reserve and the rest of his stuff in the 2 corners along the same short able edge, except the Daemon Prince, which was set up in a different corner very close to the circle and near all my stuff.  I put the bikes close up to his 2 tanks, hoping to close the gap quickly so he couldn't shoot the mortar at me (12-48" range, I believe).   My redemptor dread was in middle playing zone.

The objectives were 4 markers spread out, each one scored 1 VP for the controlling player at the end of his turn.

I won the seize the initiative roll, but I didn't want to totally break his heart so I let him have first turn.

DG1: His daemon prince charged and slaughtered my unit of tacs with missile launcher in the center.  He then consolidated into my lt, but I did nothing to him in return. HIs mortar tanks fired long range at my Devastators, and because of their bad BS (4+) with Chapter Tactic, only hit on 5's. He killed 1 guy. sgt.   Because he wasn't really paying attention to positioning, he only got 2 VP's turn 1 (first blood and 1 objective).

RG1: Drop Lt. out of combat with Daemon Prince. Redemptor dread goes in, between shooting and close combat, I kill the DP.  I also charged in such a way that I was within 3" of one of the Objectives that his Daemon Prince had to fly over.  Devastators sitting on Objective 2 put some guns on a mortar tank, but frekking disgust resilience and its invuln save bounce of a bunch of shots. I think I got about 4 wounds through.  My scouts with Heavy bolter and sniper scouts and all bikes shoot at the same tank, but again, his DisResil rolls are awesome.  I charged the bikes into the fresh mortar tank, successful, but no wounds, and my captain goes into the wounded mortar tank, successful, and a couple wounds.  Not a lot of damage but won't be able to shoot.  I score 4 VP's on turn 1 (my 2 backfield objectives and Slay Warlord (Daemon Prince) as well as 1 of his backfield objectives that all my bikes are swarming on)

Turn 1 Score: 2-4, RG

DG2:  He drops termies out of deepstrike.  Falls back with both tanks.  Hellbrute moves up and shoots up some scouts.  Termies shoot, and then charge, and then annihilate my bikes.  but I kill 2 I in total, I think, between overwatch and close combat.  He scores 1 VP for 1 objective (Biologus) but the other is contested by my captain.

RG2: Lascannons on wounded tank. (a few more wounds).  Redemptor dread moves closer to, and then shoots up Hellbrute (no wounds thanks again to stellar Disgust Resilience).  Lt. switches jobs with him and goes to babysit the same objective he was on. Scouts and Scout snipers shoot up termies.  Captain shoots at tank (down to 3 wounds) and then charges termies.  Termies die this turn.  RG scores another 2 VP's (both of my backfield objectives, the one that the Lt. is babysitting and the one the devastators are babysitting).

Turn 2 score:  3-6 RG

DG 3:  His 2 tanks can both fire now, because I didn't charge them with my Captain because I needed to take down termies.  Despite one being badly wounded, he manages to kill 2 devastators and put some 2ndary gun wounds on my captain.   Putrifier is camping an objective.  Hellbrute moves up and shoots at my redemptor, they proceed to get into a gun battle, and then later, a fisticuffs battle.  He scores 2 VP's this turn (his 2 backfield objectives).

RG3:  My captain assaults the same wounded tank as before, devs shoot at it. it finally pops (not sure what phase it was though).  My redemptor shoots at and then charges the Hellbrute. No damage in either shooting or close combat.  Snipers shoot at Putriefer but no damage.  Heavy bolter scout unit shoots at one of the tanks but doesn't do much. I score another 2 VP's this turn (my 2 backfield objectives)

Turn 3 score: 5-8, RG.

DG4: His remaining tank has a helluva round of shooting. It's big cannon kills off my devastators and its smaller guns kill my warlord.   Hellbrute and Redemptor dread beat each other up in HTH combat, I bring hellbrute down to 1 remaining wound, but he does about 6 wounds on my redemptor. He claims both backfield objectives now as well as slay the warlord: +3 VP

RG4: My redemptor dreadnought goes down swinging to Hellbrute when he manages to roll 3 6's on disgusting resilience against my close combat attacks that should have ended him.  I score 1 VPs for the Lt. camping the 1 backfield obj.

Turn 4 score: 8-9

Model count remaining on turn 4: RG- 1 lt, 5 scouts, 5 scout snipers.  DG-1 Hellbrute, 1 Biologus Putrifier, 1 Tank.

DG 5.

Hellbrute shoots at and then charges my Heavy Bolter scouts, but does 3 shooting wounds which puts them too far out of range for him to make his charge.  Biologus and Tank are unable to claim both his backfield objectives because of how they were positions, so he only gets 1.

RG 5.

I shoot everything at Hellbrute, but still am unable to kill the jerk. I score the last point for my backfield objectives.

Turn 5 final score: 9-10

Game ended at that point on turn 5.

I could have put out more damage if I used hellfire shells for mortal wounds on either the tank or the hellbrute to finish him off, and, obviously, I could have taken the seize the initiative roll. All in all, just a fun game.

2nd Game was against IG.  I won't go into the play by play but we both played very large infantry armies (I had about 40 infantry models in my list, and also my hunter tank and landspeeder storm) and he had about 65 infantry in total, along with 3 chimeras.  It was a fun game, and my RG shot him up pretty handily, but unfortunately, he got the right objective cards and beat me by 1 point!