What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

My Raptors defended their territory against a necron invasion, as part of the local campaign...well, necron are pretty invincible at the (current) lower points levels. You can never have enough shots/attacks to entirely kill a unit, so they just reanimate indefinitely. Ended the game almost getting tabled, with only the necron HQ dead by a kamikaze CC, everything else just reanimated or Living Metal'd back to starting point, while shooting my guys to bitz with -1AP or mortal wounds. My only leftover, a 3w razorback, ended up taking one objective after the other, ending in a 19:19 draw.

My Raptors defended their territory against a necron invasion, as part of the local campaign...well, necron are pretty invincible at the (current) lower points levels. You can never have enough shots/attacks to entirely kill a unit, so they just reanimate indefinitely. Ended the game almost getting tabled, with only the necron HQ dead by a kamikaze CC, everything else just reanimated or Living Metal'd back to starting point, while shooting my guys to bitz with -1AP or mortal wounds. My only leftover, a 3w razorback, ended up taking one objective after the other, ending in a 19:19 draw.

I find it pretty incredible when a game can look so one sided on a table but the score tells an entirely different story.

Probably because it sounds like maelstrom, where anything can happen regardless of table state

This. We rolled the maelstrom mission where one type of objectives gives double points, but throwing off a carf from that would cost a VP. He started off with the "kill stuff" choices, I used "take objectives" the entire game (Take and Hold becomes 4 VP). Combined with a vehicle he failed to kill (and forgot to contest the objective), driving around with it was all I could do for several rounds. Any killed necron just reanimated, so mostly advanced out of rapid fire range or locked the warrior squad in CC so they can't shoot me.

Crushed some GKs this evening that attempted to mind wipe us.

Fortunately we had just received our new codex updates which made the task easier.

Pics and summary thoughts to follow. :)

I had an uphill battle agaisnt crons today. The are very hard to shift. I ended up winning but it took a lot. Quantum shielding is the devil

Played a 2000pt match yesterday against my friends GK's played the 1st Maelstrom mission (for the first time)

Was fun, well kinda at 2000pts I was able to put a lot on the table, I ended up with dual Battalions for 9CP's making the most of the STFS with my VV's B)

I also realised I needed a 4th HQ and at least while Shrike is in the list they're somewhat redundant. I instead opted for a Lieutenant, which posed another dilmea... which is I didn't have one! So I kit bashed this guy :D

gallery_87434_12256_501325.jpg

This has given me inspiration for something else.... which you may or may not see appearing else where this evening (and definitely in the near distant future ;) )

Anyhow game was a bit of a white wash, GK's still suffer from elite army syndrome. I took 4 units of scouts which even on a 6x4 board gave me massive area denial. Which in turned limited his deep strking and gating abilities.

Having Shrikes no overwatch ability was nice, he went straight into a LR without taking a single shot. Both VV's also managed to make their 1" charges thanks to hiding in buildings and moving in on the enemy as they approached. Unfortunately some bad rolling by me and good by him on his Psychic super smite ability meant one squad of 4 remaining VV's were nuked top of T2 and the other 3 were brought down by overwhelming fire power. Shrike was taken down by 3 GKT's assaulting and smiting him despite having the 4++ vs mortal wounds. This did help my Librarian survive later on the game who in turn smited 5 GKPA's off the table.

I didn't use too many of the new stratagems because I only have the digital copy on me and reading on my phone is too hard. (Need to bring my laptop next time). Playing RG is a lot of fun though :) With their CT's they're super flexible and tactical I really enjoyed it.

gallery_87434_12256_56731.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_991165.jpg

Only a few pics, after having my VV's nuked T2 I had to pay attention.

Played a 2k game against iron hands with valdor and thunder hammer storm shield terminator squad support. I brought a knight crusader, shrike, librarian, 10 vv with dual claws, tac squad, 2 scouts,2 devs with 4 missile, 4 lascannons,

Whoops, hit enter too soon.

He had a normal iron hands army, dread, tanks, bikes.

It was a bloody fight. It ended bottom of turn 7. All he had left was cypher and all I had left was the knight with 11 wounds left. Voldus had tried charging at the top of turn 7 but got killed by overwatch. Cyoher was then gunned down on my turn 7.

Edited by mertbl

Recently:

Fought and Tabled an Eldar army.

My list was:

Shrike
Ironclad Dread
Ironclad Dread

7 man Vanguard Squad

3 5 man Tactical squads

5 man Inceptor Squad
2 Stormravens

Eldar List was:
Farseer on Jetbike
3 4 man Jetbike Squads w Shuricannons
9 man Dark Reaper Squad
9 man Fire Dragons
2 Wave Serpents with Shuricannons
2 Hemlocks

1 Crimson Hunter Exarch

It was a brutal match, but i managed to wipe him out leaving only 1 Hemlock to fly off.

I like your lists SyNidus, your elite style is great.

My own Raptors are in Warp Transit (in storage until I finally get into the new house) but I'm getting the new Codex soon to craft some lists. I'll report back when I can.

Cheers JP, because i condense it down to 4 drops i almost always get first turn. Now with SftS i get more flexibility with deploying my tacs and vanguard, while still keeping control of first turn.

I plan to post up batreps as i have more games with this list.

Played my very first game last night, butchered a bunch of the rules but had a ton of fun. Don't have the new codex so played them with the data sheets you get with the box set, would love to say I won but think i might have been a draw. I can see why all you folks are into it, great times.

Glad you enjoyed it. Doesnt matter how long you play you'll always be double checking rules, knowing you might have messed up and going back to check is always a good thing. :)

Playing out of the index for a little bit probably wont hurt if you do it for your first few games. Less rules you have to worry about while you get acquainted!

:D

Good point, maybe I should purchase one myself.
I know I am going to at some point anyways, I was just trying to pace my hobby purchases for the next couple of months.

I think I can class this as "incidental" hobby expenses ;) :D

Played a 1500 pt game against Dark Eldar, attempting to see how a vehicle-focused list handles in 8th. Mission was Big Guns Never Tire.

Captain

2 5-Man Tac Squads (Combi-Plas and Plas-gun)

1 Centurion Dev Squad (Hurricane Bolters and Heavy Bolters, Sarge with Gravcannon)

2 Dreadnoughts (CCW/Heavy Flamer and Lascannon setup)

3 Land Speeders (2 double Heavy Bolters and 1 HB/Missile)

2 Stormtalons (Skyhammer Missiles)

The army performed very well, thanks to SftS giving the Centurions and Dreadnoughts amazing early positioning. Dark Eldar player had transport spam, so was able to go first, but the SftS + Flyers forced them to fight on three fronts. Game came down to the Turn roll, which prevented the RG from cleansing the battlefield entirely. Final score was Dark Eldar, one unit remaining with 4 VP; Eclipse Marines, 6 vehicles remaining with 3 VP.

Learned that while vehicle army is still powerful in 8th, you have to REALLY be on top of your Tactics on the board to shore up its faults. The Eclipse Marines shall be fieldnig a more balanced list going forward.

You can't sfts dreads

This is poor wording on my part. I did not use SftS -on- the Dreads, and I realize my statement makes it sound like I did. Using SftS helped my Dreads get into position, due to the multiple fronts the game was forced to take place on.

Apologies!

You can't sfts dreads

Good to know. My codex arrives Monday but I have a game Saturday. I was planning on using SFTS on a dev squad and my contemptor, but now the latter is out. I just google imaged the strategems and it does state <INFANTRY>.

I like your lists SyNidus, your elite style is great.

My own Raptors are in Warp Transit (in storage until I finally get into the new house) but I'm getting the new Codex soon to craft some lists. I'll report back when I can.

Cheers JP, because i condense it down to 4 drops i almost always get first turn. Now with SftS i get more flexibility with deploying my tacs and vanguard, while still keeping control of first turn.

I plan to post up batreps as i have more games with this list.

i love the double dreadnought taxi list

Cheers dude, the best part of this list is that i'm down to 4 drops, almost guaranteeing i always get first turn. SftS also gives me the flexibility to deploy more of my troops on the table in a forward position, so if say my opponent has 6 or 7 drops, i can always take one of the units out of the stormravens to deploy them so they can be effective from turn 1.