What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

I feel your pain Damo, this seems to be the feeling a lot of space marine players are having. Stuff just doesn't work the same way anymore for space marines. Quite literally everything has been nerfed or taken away, be it drop pod spam, grav, special formations.

Maybe the codex and chapter tactics will bring some back some flavor and introduce some more options but I'm a bit skeptical.

I feel your pain Damo, this seems to be the feeling a lot of space marine players are having. Stuff just doesn't work the same way anymore for space marines. Quite literally everything has been nerfed or taken away, be it drop pod spam, grav, special formations.

Stuff doesn't work the way it did, but a lot of that was weird powergaming stuff. Grav centurions in pods or as teleporting invisible firebase, everything strictly in formations to get free stuff etc. Let's not forget that almost every other faction (everyone except DE and nids) was nerfed too, to get roughly the same power level again.

I for one am glad that suddenly tacticals, razorbacks and assault marines, the fluff backbone of the army, became useful besides being taken as a tax for free stuff. The general mechanics of the game have changed, so if you play against someone who had a few more games you're automatically at a disadvantage, no matter the army.

I'm inclined to think issues with the ruleset is due to growing pains and things working very different from how they used to.

Basically, if you try to run your 7th edition list unchanged it is likely going to suck.

On the plus side? Everyone has to deal with the same issues. It's not like Marines got nerfed and everything else got buffed. Certain cheese combos got nerfed for everyone.

Free transport double demi with a side of invisible bikerstar is dead and gone.

From what I've seen thus far, the ability to play your army strategically is just as important as what you bring, if not more so.

Unsolicited advice: Take the time to figure out what works now, instead of just being angry that what used to work doesn't anymore.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Now, I've never been one to engage in the particularly cheesiest aspects of 7th edition, I just enjoyed the way formations gave you great ways to build fluff-based armies.

I also liked the fact that 1,850 points gave you a decent selection of units that meant you could field a balanced army.

I'm slowly building up a collection-based index card roster, showing both power levels and points on what I have available. I'm hoping to begin to get more power level games going, as opposed to points. 2,000 just doesn't go as far if you don't want to rip models apart or spam weapons because that's what the meta is doing now.

I'm half-way through my HHotE vow, and am building a Landraider Proteus at the moment.

Ideally, I'd continue to play 7th edition, at least until codexes began appearing. However, I can't find anybody who is willing. They've either sold off and moved on, or scrapped their 7th edition gear and moved fully into 8th.

I guess my issue is that at 2k points, it's more than difficult to incorporate a decent balance between troops and armour for marines than it has ever been. Not even the fun armour like land raiders, but basic things like transports. And, No, I never ran the dual battle company gladius strike force. I mainly ran takin strike forces.

If you like, you can post your "most commonly used" 7th edition list with your iconic units, and maybe a list of a few things that you would like to try, in a new thread and we can get a discussion going, especially amongst those of us who have had a chance to play the new edition some.

The 4th Company executed their postponed raid on a heretic tank factory.....

IMG 20170624 144404 zps126tkgyi

Intel had failed to notice the Blood Thirster stomping round the facility, which was a nice surprise for my attack force.

In true fluff form , the Raven Guard looked to be loosing badly up until the end of Turn 3, however, it turned out to be all part of the plan drawing off Khorne Crazies left and right to then snatch a slew of victory points in the final 2 turns.

VPs at the end of turn 3: World Eaters - 7, Raven Guard 2........end of turn 5: World Eaters - 8, Raven Guard - 11.

Raven Guard Highlights:

• Going 2nd and taking the bull by the horns (almost literally) with a first turn charge of my Assault squad, Vanguard Vets (lightning clawed up of course) and a Chaplin into the Blood Thirster....taking him down to 4 wounds off the charge but with the loss of the Chaplin. Then using a strategum to interrupt his fight phase in turn to let the Vanguards go first, subsequently sending the beast back into the warp.
  • The Assault Squad, kiting Khârn away from the center of the board, allowing them to double back turn 5 to capture the central objective and claim area denial for a total of 4 VPS.
  • A scout squad making it across the entire board to capture and hold a cogitator, before slipping into the enemy deployment zone, for line breaker (and slipping deeper into the complex for an unknown mission).
  • The highly trained Vindicare (BS 2+)drawing a bead on Khârn and rolling a one......command point reroll......a one again. Next turn the highly trained assassin becomes flecks of flesh on gorechild. (not really a highlight but very very funny)

It was an awesome game, though key leanings:

• The ZM board is lethal when facing Close Combat beasts, like Khârn and bog standard beserkers. Very difficult to get even 1 turn of shooting on them before they are charging. Creating fire kill zones with overlapping fire will definitely be key
  • Lord Zhufor is an absolute Monster of a warlord, my Vanguard charged him and did 7 wounds, he failed 5 of those saves and still wiped out the entire squad when he got to attack.
  • Always focus on your objectives, if this had been a straight who kills the most fight the RG would have lost bad.

Was such a good game and the end result was very fluffy for the RG.

Cheers,

Valaas

Edited by Valaas

I have committed myself to a force of Raptors whilst I wait and see what FW has in store for the HH (and hopefully Dread Drop Pods to come up for sale again...).

I'm thinking of aiming for a Demi-Company with support from 1st, 10th and Reserve Companies. Knowing me I'll probably expand to a full Battle Company down the line with supporting elements because it's cool.

Currently working on the fluff with the base premise of a Battle Company hunting some enemy in an Imperial System before having a small Imperial Navy fleet stumble upon them after fleeing Cadia. Tempted to throw in a time travel warp shenanigan (so Cadia hasn't fallen yet as they slipped back in time but it won't make a difference).

But Raptors are go...yes, yes they are. All the sustained operations equipment!

Here are some things to look at:

Decals, shoulder pads, and logos

Ginfritter Gnomish Workshop Eagle Heads

Chapter Customizer Doors, shoulder pads, decals, and stencils

Pop Goes the Monkey

Scopes, Sights, mags, and other accessories

Anvil industries

I just finished my Raptors army tonight

19720247_10154904597773737_2145142413_o.

I'm pretty happy.

:wub:

So pretty...handsome, brutish... <insert aesthetic you were trying to achieve here>! :biggrin.:

Congrats! The feeling of completing a force is always so satisfying! I've only managed that a couple of times myself! :tu:

Looking forward to seeing that Storm Raven painted up too! ;)

Looks great :thumbsup:

Is that a Stormraven back there?

Converted Storm Eagle

And its night pattern paint so it is done but the far away photo doesnt do it justice

Converted Storm Eagle?  Are you a masochist?! :lol:

No seriously, pics or it's just a model.