8th Edition & BA

Charlo

I believe it's a nod to our jump pack equipped death company who can roll with bolters.

I'm feeling that i won't bother with tactical primaris marines, if we get a decent jump pack assault unit I'll have a look but then I'm worried my 20 assault marines will become redundant. We'll see i guess

Edited by sebs_evo7

The Primaris announcement sealed the deal for me; goodbye for now 40K.  Maybe once this whole nonsense fluff has been retconned and the whole SM line has moved to the new scale I may return to collect the new models as a new army, but for now I will just sit and keep painting away my squat marines.  Maybe I'll buy a Knight at some point because my wife loves the models, but that will be it.  Well done GW.  Just when I was boarding your 8e hype wagon, you pulled the ladder from under my feet and pushed me off the cart.

Hey man, it'd be a shame to lose you, but time away to take stock might be good.

What you may find interesting is that the NuMarines seerm to have rogue trader squad markings, and the new marine captain has rainbow warrior esque helmet stripe and the article mentions rainbow warriors by name.

I'm thinking they might be rebuilding some chapters with new marines, we might see Flesh Eaters as a BA Primaris successor, or something like it.

I would rather it be done like this because this way my army isn't invalidated at all. Right now my models are still right, and I can throw in these new ones.

If they did these to replace the old ones, there is no way my army would be right at all, and I would be "forced" to replace them.

The Primaris announcement sealed the deal for me; goodbye for now 40K.  Maybe once this whole nonsense fluff has been retconned and the whole SM line has moved to the new scale I may return to collect the new models as a new army, but for now I will just sit and keep painting away my squat marines.  Maybe I'll buy a Knight at some point because my wife loves the models, but that will be it.  Well done GW.  Just when I was boarding your 8e hype wagon, you pulled the ladder from under my feet and pushed me off the cart.

Each to their own, man. And it will be a gaming/community loss, i mean that.

I just dont understand how the voluntary inclusion of more units/rules/models/story *requires* any impact on your life?  Isn't this a perfect example of this:

http://i.imgur.com/L73De4L.jpg

Keep playing 40k how you want to play it! 

Did you guys seriously hoped Tau would just sit there and wait for the enemy to catch them in melee where they can't do anything?

Either they have some serious AP on their shooting so they won't get caught in melee or they get special rules that help them survive once they got caught in melee. It's just delusional to think Tau wouldn't get anything to help them with those problems.

The problem is Tau haven't had a problem keeping assault armies (and BA in particular, as we're here) at bay up until now. Announcing more rules that help them do this doesn't help.

It's the non death star assault armies that have had problems up until now - GW should really be telling us how they've re-balanced the game for shooting and assault rather than hinting at it and telling us to trust them.

Did you guys seriously hoped Tau would just sit there and wait for the enemy to catch them in melee where they can't do anything?

Either they have some serious AP on their shooting so they won't get caught in melee or they get special rules that help them survive once they got caught in melee. It's just delusional to think Tau wouldn't get anything to help them with those problems.

The problem is Tau haven't had a problem keeping assault armies (and BA in particular, as we're here) at bay up until now. Announcing more rules that help them do this doesn't help.

It's the non death star assault armies that have had problems up until now - GW should really be telling us how they've re-balanced the game for shooting and assault rather than hinting at it and telling us to trust them.

Yeah but that's a problem of 7th.

I don't remember who said it but stop trying to think of 8th as 7.5th. It'll be a completely new thing where some armies have to change a good bit. It's like a hard reset of the game while keeping the feel of each army. Just because Tau used to be a bane for BA, Tyranids etc. doesn't have to mean it'll be the same in 8th AT ALL.

I cringed at 10 guns with split fire, and the ability to shoot and disengage. I hope that boat cost a mint to field.

And then the crisis suits also being able to do it. So literally two of the most seen units on tau boards just seen absolutely beast mode. And the fact they still have such a busted rule in support fire.

No lie, I watched a match several months ago where I left the video running, went to the loo, came back and the tau were still shooting!

But then again this is just knee jerk reaction, as I have some of those WAAC players in my meta that would field double riptide wings and 5 wraith knights in 1850 lists. And that really sucked because I refused to play them in Pick up Games.

You'd love playing against me then. The biggste suit I have is a single Ghostkeel and only 4 Crisis. The rest are Breacher, Stealth Suits and Pathfinder. :D

Fluff-Wise, there is at least Two Very Very importants/problematics questions for GW regarding those Primaris Astartes and the Blood Angels :

- How Primaris could be available for Blood Angels and most successors, knowing that following the Fall of Cadia, the galaxy is split in two by the Cicatrix Maledictum ?

- How those "Blood Angels" Primaris will act/react under the Red Thirst and most notably the Black Rage (since it is not a physical, but a psychic wound that cannot be "repaired/healed" by science) ?

The first one will be rather easy to answer.

They have all the geneseed on Mars already so creating them would be no problem and on the map of the galaxy it looks like there are two passages through the rift. One near Cadia and one near the T'au Empire/Ultramar. So while dangerous they could take the risk to send some of them through to aid the Blood Angels in defending Baal against the Tyranids.

The second one could be answered with all kind of things but mainly I go and say they'll react the same way as any other Blood Angel unless Cawl tinkered with the geneseed itself again like with later founded chapters like Knights of Blood etc.

How well that works largely depends on how they are balanced against traditional marines and how many players in your area take them. If they are more point efficient, and your opponents love to take them, it will be quite difficult to continue to play how you like it. I.e. having matches, that aren't one-sided.

How well that works largely depends on how they are balanced against traditional marines and how many players in your area take them. If they are more point efficient, and your opponents love to take them, it will be quite difficult to continue to play how you like it. I.e. having matches, that aren't one-sided.

It mostly depends on your meta. In our local group we can play with Tau, Space Wolves and Skitarii against Tyranids perfectly fine despite Tau being considered as top tier army by most and Tyranids on the other end. Actually the Tyranid player has a nice win record even.

I think when it comes to numarines, the curse founding is going to rear its head a bit again. Realistically, these new marines are definitely a recent idea from GW. However I can see it written that Cawl was responsible for the cursed founding but it lead him to discover and refine his processes which is why they are just now becoming a thing. That and the fact that Cawl probably has been sitting on this for some time; just waiting for someone with legit authority to said "Do it, rockapella".

Edited by Spagunk

Each to their own, man. And it will be a gaming/community loss, i mean that.

I just dont understand how the voluntary inclusion of more units/rules/models/story *requires* any impact on your life?  Isn't this a perfect example of this:

http://i.imgur.com/L73De4L.jpg

No it's not, not even close.  If more meant better in every case, life would have been much simpler.  Take a step back and have a broader view of what this turns the game into, then compare it to what it was for you and your little toy soldiers sometime earlier in your memory lane.  I hope it makes sense.  Cheers.

Prediction:

Baal is about to be overrun and totally annihilated by Daemons and Tyranids; Dante, the SG and last few battle brothers left (that aren't at Armageddon or went off to Diamor etc) are surrounded and the last bastion, but failing fast. As brother after brother is cut down, Dante is slowly overwhelmed - covered in a writing mass of daemons and recycled bug biomass, his golden glow slowly being blotted out by the darkness...

But then...

BOOM 

SANGUINOR ARRIVED WITH THE BIGGEST DROP ASSAULT SINCE ISTVAAN AS 3 FULL NEW CHAPTERS OF SANGUINIUS STOCK PRIMARIS MARINES TO HELP.

Drop pods blot out the sky not already covered in warp rifts and bio-leviathans. They instantly save Dante and start following his orders to bring the fight back to the forces of Chaos and the Great Devourer. Smaller bugs and daemons are simply crushed and stomped down by the new larger astartes, while their bolt rifles lay down a horrific torrent of shells - shredding all before them.

In a moment of respite Dante learns of Guilliman's return, the genesis of the Primaris and the start of the Indomitus Crusade. The Sanguinor tells him that he needs to go, as he has other chapters of Primaris marines to guide through the Maledictum to reinforce other beleaguered sons of Sanguinius. Dante looks to the sky, his faith renewed as a feeling all but lost to him returns for the first time in his millenia of constant warfare:

Hope.

No it's not, not even close.  If more meant better in every case, life would have been much simpler.  Take a step back and have a broader view of what this turns the game into, then compare it to what it was for you and your little toy soldiers sometime earlier in your memory lane.  I hope it makes sense.  Cheers.

><; unfortunately not.  This year is my 20th anniversary of playing 40k and i started in 2nd.  For me, this is no different to me than centurions, flyers, the rise of monstrous/gargantuan creatures or any other major change :/

I legitimately cant see the difference - but again, cant hold it against anyone else who can.

We're all in the hobby for different reasons and because of different appeals - in 20years ive just learned that the game evolves constantly and its adapt or quit.

Both are viable solutions- the one is just more of a loss to the community and the game.  

Prediction:

Baal is about to be overrun and totally annihilated by Daemons and Tyranids; Dante, the SG and last few battle brothers left (that aren't at Armageddon or went off to Diamor etc) are surrounded and the last bastion, but failing fast. As brother after brother is cut down, Dante is slowly overwhelmed - covered in a writing mass of daemons and recycled bug biomass, his golden glow slowly being blotted out by the darkness...

But then...

BOOM 

SANGUINOR ARRIVED WITH THE BIGGEST DROP ASSAULT SINCE ISTVAAN AS 3 FULL NEW CHAPTERS OF SANGUINIUS STOCK PRIMARIS MARINES TO HELP.

Drop pods blot out the sky not already covered in warp rifts and bio-leviathans. They instantly save Dante and start following his orders to bring the fight back to the forces of Chaos and the Great Devourer. Smaller bugs and daemons are simply crushed and stomped down by the new larger astartes, while their bolt rifles lay down a horrific torrent of shells - shredding all before them.

In a moment of respite Dante learns of Guilliman's return, the genesis of the Primaris and the start of the Indomitus Crusade. The Sanguinor tells him that he needs to go, as he has other chapters of Primaris marines to guide through the Maledictum to reinforce other beleaguered sons of Sanguinius. Dante looks to the sky, his faith renewed as a feeling all but lost to him returns for the first time in his millenia of constant warfare:

Hope.

And then these superior Astartes laugh all the way back to the Chapter Monastery at the old fart Dante who couldn't save his own planet with the help of multiple successor chapters unless they came in and saved the day.  They also make shorty jokes behind his back and have a good laugh about the day they saved his and his inferior brothers' asses from certain doom.

:censored: that :censored:.

><; unfortunately not.  This year is my 20th anniversary of playing 40k and i started in 2nd.  For me, this is no different to me than centurions, flyers, the rise of monstrous/gargantuan creatures or any other major change :/

I legitimately cant see the difference - but again, cant hold it against anyone else who can.

We're all in the hobby for different reasons and because of different appeals - in 20years ive just learned that the game evolves constantly and its adapt or quit.

Both are viable solutions- the one is just more of a loss to the community and the game.

I hope the above response covers the question about what is different this time..

Edited by appiah5

Prediction:

But then...

BOOM 

Hope.

And then these superior Astartes laugh all the way back to the Chapter Monastery at the old fart Dante who couldn't save his own planet with the help of multiple successor chapters unless they came in and saved the day.  They also make shorty jokes behind his back and have a good laugh about the day they saved his and his inferior brothers' asses from certain doom.

Then they get overwhelmed by the curse and in full panic and despair face Dante and ask how their inferior brothers could deal with that mental strain day by day without going insane, starting to respect them and decide to learn from them instead of ridiculing them.

We could continue writing that story for days swinging it back and forth between both teams. :D

Prediction:

But then...

BOOM 

Hope.

Cool.

Got some evidence to support that outcome, or just pushing your own unfounded view of the Primaris onto the situation? Sure mine is just speculation too, but at least it's plausible and not frankly just salty hyperbole.

Truthfully Charlo : No, just No. =)

Now my Turn, my vision of the Grimdark future to come :

Doom is upon Baal. The Blood Angels and those of their successors who succeded to make it through the psychic blocage of the Shadow in the Warp, prepare their last stand for what is already depicted as their most important battle since the twilight days of the Horus Heresy.

As Lord Commander Dante organize the defense of the Baal System with the other representatives of the Blood Angels successors, he is blind to the despair that befell on those of his Chapter.

For millenia, never the Sanguinary Priests of the Blood Angels gathered in such number. In a mad attempt, High Sanguinary Priest Corbulo, with little time ahead for recruitment, he and his brothers pours their last hope in a new transformation process, one that may breed angels....or monsters...

In the Blood Angels Librarius, by their hundreds, the Librarians of all the chapters gathered on Baal prepares their souls for a ritual of untold power, using the resurrected Lord of Death Mephiston as their medium to unleash the full might of his gift.

Within the baalites mountains, the Chaplains and Reclusiarch prepares the curseds for their final battle, surrounded by a miasma of anguish so strong that all sane serfs within the Reclusiam already took their own life, living their Astartes master alone to their task. In his secret Reclusiam, Astorath, now driven half mad by the echoes of his fallen brothers agonies, prepare himself for his final flight.

Within the Armoury, war machines and ancients weapons are brought back to life, freed from their stasis, as the Techmarines awoken their machine spirit, giving faith that those venerable tools of war may brings utmost destruction upon their foes.

Now alone, cut off from the Light of the Emperor, with no reinforcement to come, the Blood Angels fleets assemble, as the great devorer feast on the last ring of planetary systems surrounding Baal...

Just why you think it's hyperbole is beyond me.  If I were recruited into a company to save it from a the brink of imminent death following the guidance of a score of old farts, and pulled it off, my first order of business would be to call the board and have them all fired and replaced.  By me.

I mean, come on.

The whole BA legion can't pull off a win but the Primaris come in at the last minute, wipe the floor with the Tyranids and Daemons and then bow to Dante, who lost despite commanding basically a full legion, and only lives because the Primaris intervened?

Is there greater hyperbole than *this*?

But of course, since it makes no sense it's probably how things will roll in the new Wardian fluff.

We will probably recruit Necrons to breed Primaris marines in the next codex.

You want Grimdark? I'll give you Grimdark. Blood Angels die against the Tyranid invasion. Every single one of them including successors. By some accident Dante gets hurled through the warp so he can later appear on Terra and fight on the palace's stairs. Blood Angels will be a full Primaris Marine chapter in the future.

Obviously not meant serious.