8th Edition & BA

Charlo

*Looks at triplasma tac squad that's been in every BA army I've used since 3rd*

As ever, building your army to the meta doesnt guarantee longevity. Fads come and go. Make the models you want and look cool.

All this means is that my triflamer unit gets a rhino instead.

Primaris juice available for brave Blood Angels heroes that want to get the free upgrade.  

He's a really, really, old man, but I for one want to see Primaris Dante.

V

How about a Primaris Mephiston? ;)

My biggest conundrum is how to fit command squads now?! Do I splash a flamer in for overwarch defense, do I take grav, plasma, and melta, because split fire?! Do I give them pistols instead and make them more choppy?!

So many decisions!

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/6bxldo/notes_from_fb_live_q_a/

Breakdown on reddit of the live Q&A. Some important takeaways:

- Powerfists are -1 to hit instead of hitting last

- Drop Pods still have to land 9" away

- Consolidation into another combat?!

The exact wording on that last one:

"Shooting vs Combat Dichotomy - How will combat units fare? Combat is more powerful. Units hit harder and do more damage. Piling in to engage multiple units, surrounding prevents falling back. Special rules allow combat units to do better. Units are a lot faster in 8th. Consolidation from combat to combat."

Brb, ripping the flamers off my dudes.

Melted though will still be good. Land 9" away, disembark 6", you're within 3".

*Looks at triplasma tac squad that's been in every BA army I've used since 3rd*

As ever, building your army to the meta doesnt guarantee longevity. Fads come and go. Make the models you want and look cool.

All this means is that my triflamer unit gets a rhino instead.

True! But magnets do guarantee longevity! And ive been doing the magnet thing since 5th!

Primaris juice available for brave Blood Angels heroes that want to get the free upgrade.  

V

How about a Primaris Mephiston? :wink:

He pretty much already surpassed that on his own, I would think.  He's almost Primarch level as it is, right?

You're not going to be able to disembark 6" like it was still 7th edition.  Not only will the Drop Pod have to land more than 9" away, your disembarking troops will have to be placed more than 9" away from enemy models, too.

V

How about a Primaris Mephiston? :wink:

He pretty much already surpassed that on his own, I would think.  He's almost Primarch level as it is, right?

You're not going to be able to disembark 6" like it was still 7th edition.  Not only will the Drop Pod have to land more than 9" away, your disembarking troops will have to be placed more than 9" away from enemy models, too.

brb, ripping most the meltas off too.  Need more plasmas.

edit: this may sound a little negative, but i mean, the whole reason i liked blood angels was drop pods, heavy flamer tacticals, special pistols, and death company.  death company still sounds good, but the rest sounds like it's falling apart.

Edited by durdle-durdle

I for one really love the idea of rolling for DC

Surely you can see how it's clunky and redundant when the option to buy a unit has been in 3 or so editions now though.

Different strokes for different folks.

edit: this may sound a little negative, but i mean, the whole reason i liked blood angels was drop pods, heavy flamer tacticals, special pistols, and death company.  death company still sounds good, but the rest sounds like it's falling apart.

Don't sweat it; they'll all be just fine.  Don't go popping any arms off yet.

Yeah the heavy flamer on tacticals is looking pretty dodgey in a pod now..... buuuut heavy flamer coming out of a rhino could be the new black! Or er Red in our case!

It's far from time for ripping arms of! Wait and see!

Hmm 5x tac squad with heavy flamer and Sargent with combi flamer in a twin flamer razor back! Burn in hell _____ (insert, xenos,heretic,chaos filth of choice!)

Love the change to vehicles being able to 'punch' stuff, that combined with the removal of rear and side armour allows us to be aggressive with our fast tanks.

With the rules so far I can totally see BA lists revolving around 50% Tactical Reserve Jump Units, Terminators and Dreads; 50% Mech that starts on the table and pushes up

I'm kind of hoping vehicles can fire into combat.

The rules seem good, with infantry able to bog down unsupported vehicles and vice versa.

The recurring theme I'm seeing in this edition is that units have to support one another for full effectiveness, whether through tying stuff up in overwatch, or pinning an assault unit in place with one unit so your other can fall back.

I think our mobility, if we retain it, will he a huge advantage in picking the fights we want and ganging up on opposing units. Generally try to go two on one and go for the wipe out in assault.

I think vehicles will be able to fall back from combat and shoot (maybe at penalty, or only at the target that assaulted them etc) the idea of something tying up a battle tank in combat seems silly.

Still lamenting flamer squads... Meltacide is a fine "nerf" though, to be honest. While a necessary tactic it definately didn't feel super sporting podding next to your opponents LR and popping it first turn (though the last outing they missed with all four melta shots against a Hellbrute... Closet Heretics confirmed?). They'll still do 4D6 damage to whatever they hit and wound. Just run ten man squads for albative, or heaven forbid run the new ultimate ten man dread-busting assault squad:

Ten Guys with Packs

Melta

Melta

Inferno Pistol

Inferno Pistol or Fist/ Sword

2 Evicerators

:devil:

I mean, while we haven't seen 90% of the rules yet,like the range of a heavy flamer, you can still use flamer squads. You just don't get to use drop pods to auto alpha strike BBQ anything without retort anymore.

Lucius Drop Pods will be nerfed if you have to land > 9" away :sad.:

How so my friend?

Purely because the rules for them in 40/30k are such a mess right now I've completely forgotten how they work...