8th Edition & BA

Charlo

Vehicles have an attack characteristic and it seems like people inside can shoot pistols in combat through firing ports, I think that might just be all the defensive weapons they get. 

Of course, can't be sure until 8th is released.

Open-topped vehicles allow shooting pistols in close combat. Others don't.

Didn't even realize you mix and match units in transports. Thinking of possibilities you could make units of 5 dc in rhino and 5 tac marines. Combi on the sgt and special weapon in the squad.

Just imagine the ride into battle. Those poor Tacticals who have to be together with Deathcompany in such small space lmao

"Err, sergeant? Brother Atonio keeps telling me that we'll find the Warmaster on the bridge and to follow him presently... now his eye is twitching really quickly..."

Have we had confirmation that gunslinging sergeants and van. vets are still a thing yet?

I've planned to build a 5 man van vet squad where each member has a different pair of pistols (Plasma, Inferno, Hand Flamer, Grav, Bolt), but not yet gotten round to it.

Semi confirmed. They told us that our armies/models will be useable in 8th but that's pretty vague.

Hmm, I am particularly cynical and pessimistic about life, so I don't take that as even vague confirmation. Ah well, guess they slide a little further down the project queue (not like they're even in the top half anyway) while waiitng for something more concrete.

Interesting news, and something I was hoping for had happened.

No more 10 man tac squads, just 2*5 man with 2*special and 2* combi in a rhino.

Likewise if assault marines are still 2*special per 5, you can put 2*5 man triple melta+evicerator squads in one pod or rhino.

I do hope our OCE are a base bonus to tank movement​.

Edited by Xenith

Not to rain on your parade, but I would not be surprised if GW handled transports and dedicated transports differently. At best in your examples one squad would have a dedicated transport. Probably GW won't let units embark on a non-dedicated transport during deployment. GW does silly things like that.

Not to rain on your parade, but I would not be surprised if GW handled transports and dedicated transports differently. At best in your examples one squad would have a dedicated transport. Probably GW won't let units embark on a non-dedicated transport during deployment. GW does silly things like that.

GW have already stated that multiple units can embark on the same transport.

If what you suggest is true and they keep the dedicated transport rules as is, then no character could ever join a unit in a DT

I don't think there will be any seperate dedicated transport and regular transport anymore.

We even have dedicated transport on the FOC with the rule that we can take one for each other unit we have in the army so they don't seem to be bound to specific units anymore.

Likewise if assault marines are still 2*special per 5, you can put 2*5 man triple melta+evicerator squads in one pod or rhino.

Where did you see no more ten man tax squads?

Where did you see no more ten man tax squads?

He's saying there's no need for them. You can just double up on specialized weapons. However, the reoccurring theme I've noticed is the blanket special rules for taking larger numbered squads.

Daemonettes, Genestealers, etc.

I doubt there'll be a bonus for taking a 10 man Tac Squad since you'd lose it as soon as one Marine dies and you can't really make the unit bigger unlike the units we know about having such a bonus so far.

It's more something for horde units I think.

I suppose the "bonus" is combat squads, no?

...If they even still exist!

Let's you play super MSU and with weapons all being split fire now, having a special & combi in one squad while four bolters and a heavy stay back/ move as appropriate is even better now too. Also means that battleshock is less likely to wipe out a big unit with a bad roll.

Of course, you could just take two small squads and that would open up another combi weapon etc but it's more flexibility if you don't want to/ have the slots in the force org.

========

Also while I'm here - we know that hand Flamers are 6" range S3 and normal flamers are 8" S4, so it would stand to reason that Heavies are S5 10" range.

Edited by Charlo

I doubt there'll be a bonus for taking a 10 man Tac Squad since you'd lose it as soon as one Marine dies and you can't really make the unit bigger unlike the units we know about having such a bonus so far.

I think it may be a fixed bonus to the unit for taking a maxed squad at the start of the game.

I mean, 10 men lets you combat squad, but you don't lose the ability to combat squad when one dies, right?

Depending on combi cost and bonus for 10 man units, 2*5 men with 2 combis and 2 heavy/specials is superior to 10 man with special, combi, heavy, purely in terms of min/maxing damage dealing weapons.

We're almost going back to the glory days of 3rd/4th ed with 2 specials in 5 man units. 

Time to make a 5 man ASM unit with 1x combi and 2x plasma funs. 

typo, but I'll roll with it. 

Next piece about Cities of Death and ruins is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/22/new-warhammer-40000-cities-of-death-may22gw-homepage-post-4gw-homepage-post-4/

They talk about Jump Infantry moving through ruins jumping from rooftop to rooftop, which gives me some hope for jump infantry not having to take dangerous terrain tests anymore when moving through ruins. And having a +1 or +2 bonus to their armour save while doing so is always nice, and perhaps finally something more to set apart jump infantry and bikers/cavalry.

Next piece about Cities of Death and ruins is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/22/new-warhammer-40000-cities-of-death-may22gw-homepage-post-4gw-homepage-post-4/

They talk about Jump Infantry moving through ruins jumping from rooftop to rooftop, which gives me some hope for jump infantry not having to take dangerous terrain tests anymore when moving through ruins. And having a +1 or +2 bonus to their armour save while doing so is always nice, and perhaps finally something more to set apart jump infantry and bikers/cavalry.

Also framed with the awesome bit of Artwork (well, minus Quasi-modo Karlaen... :tongue.: )

I especially like the Sanguinor shooting a lance of fire from his sword through a Lord of Skulls.... Maybe something to come ;)

New40kCitiesofDeathBA.jpg

Edited by Charlo

I think it may be a fixed bonus to the unit for taking a maxed squad at the start of the game.

I mean, 10 men lets you combat squad, but you don't lose the ability to combat squad when one dies, right?

Depending on combi cost and bonus for 10 man units, 2*5 men with 2 combis and 2 heavy/specials is superior to 10 man with special, combi, heavy, purely in terms of min/maxing damage dealing weapons.

We're almost going back to the glory days of 3rd/4th ed with 2 specials in 5 man units. 

Time to make a 5 man ASM unit with 1x combi and 2x plasma funs. 

typo, but I'll roll with it. 

Sure that's possible but that wouldn't be the same kind of rule as the ones we've seen so far. It would be their own different thing. ;)

GW have already stated that multiple units can embark on the same transport.

If what you suggest is true and they keep the dedicated transport rules as is, then no character could ever join a unit in a DT.

You misunderstand me. I only said that (contrary to the written rules) GW FAQed in 7th ed that characters from a different detachment could not join a unit in a transport during deployment (i.e. start in the transport with the other unit) and that I wouldn't be surprised if they did similar silliness in the new edition.

I don't think there will be any seperate dedicated transport and regular transport anymore.

We even have dedicated transport on the FOC with the rule that we can take one for each other unit we have in the army so they don't seem to be bound to specific units anymore.

I sure hope that will be true.

Didn't even realize you mix and match units in transports. Thinking of possibilities you could make units of 5 dc in rhino and 5 tac marines. Combi on the sgt and special weapon in the squad.

Just imagine the ride into battle. Those poor Tacticals who have to be together with Deathcompany in such small space lmao

"Err, sergeant? Brother Atonio keeps telling me that we'll find the Warmaster on the bridge and to follow him presently... now his eye is twitching really quickly..."

Brother Arto shook his head in disdain. Of all the mornings he had to show up late to the muster, it had to be the one before the epic charge into the heart of the enemy formation. He would gladly regrease the tracks of a Land Raider. Or feed the malfunctioning servitors. Or even clean the mortals' latrines. But by the Emperoe was it rough to have to ride into battle stuffed into a metal box filled with those falling to the Black Rage.

New edition starter kit + release date:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

Not sure I like the Jump Primaris unit model's that much, but will reserve judgment until I see them in the flesh.

Inceptor1.jpg

SOLD! Dem character models.

I don't like the AoS naming scheme for the models though, but I guess they have to IP protect everything these days. Now the question is do I trade the plaguies for another set of marines urno?

Not really, it just means that we can officially use a Storm Eagle, FW Contemptor, maybe a Mortis, Chaplain Dreadnought, etc.

I reckon we've lost the frag cannon option for our Contemptor too.