DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Another great start. Leg conversion is very well done and seamless (I know that's not easy) and I like the mechadrendrites. Between the head you're using and those tendrils, it helps this Tyrant fit with both the organic and mechanical knights you've already built. It reminds me of the squid robots from the Matrix.

BCK raises a good point about the length to reach infantry. Adding one or two more is certainly an option. You could also assume some of the thicker ones are telescopic, though, so they could reach if needed but are stored more compactly. I think there's a good volume of detail currently and part of what makes it effective is the negative space between the tendrils.

Not sure what you have planned for the arms, but it may make sense to have the anti-infantry tendrils there instead, sort of like the secondary armaments on Questoris class chassis. Or, taking queue from the eyes for Titanic feet, maybe a Knight Tyrant simply crushes infantry under foot.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to why you do with this model. Keep it up!

@BCK: I didn't want to go TOO long with them, but maybe I should try that. I may remove these ones and if anything just make them slightly thinner and two longer ones. I think it's the girth (huhuhuh) that's also throwing me off.

Oops, didn't realize there was another page. The large mechadentrites were made using the green stuff rollers, they were just thicker tubes. Unjust had the tube rollers face different directions to get that pattern.

The leg conversion parts make the Tyrant look like the Chaos Knight with the double back joint which definitely gives it a more sinister look.

Edited by DuskRaider

Well I've already rolled out what will be the middle "tentacle". It's slightly thicker than the rest, but not as thick as the original one. This will allow me to add two more... I guess you could say traditional?... mechadentrites, like the ones one the far sides of the head. I've also rolled out the longer "hunting tentacles" that will be featured on the ends of the bundle of mechadentrites. Originally I was thinking of going with more varied apparatuses on the ends, but searching my bits I didn't find anything that really stuck out as appropriate.

I'll be sending that plasma cannon over come Monday, I think. I'm rather forgetful, but since it's both me and someone else working together to get it to you now, we should together be able to remember. It's rather toothy, and if I get back into Chaos, I may just use the other one for something. Maybe I could take on a big vehicle conversion sometime? Uncertain.

Edit: Ooh, I just remembered. Prometian Painting did up a neat Ectoplasma Rapier conversion with some of these; I kinda wanna do one of my own. Maybe I'll do spider legs or something equally Chaos.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Well, here's the revised version of the Tyrant. I'm thinking of adding the tendrils from the Venomcrawler like I did with the Rampager along with a limb or two from the Dark Eldar Talos, then I'll need to clean it all up and blend it into the head.

@Zeph: thanks a ton man, you're a life saver. If you're looking to do a large model I do have a suggestion on what you could do.. lol

Let me know what you think!

91sYBv0.jpg

Lbv4lzz.jpg

7a5qORt.jpg

iPDaRwp.jpg

Alright, so a bit of an update... kinda. I THINK I'm done with the Castellan other than waiting for the Dark Mech Kit. I might add some more hoses and tubing but I'm not sure yet. If I do it'll only be on the right side which will house the Plasma Decimator.

However, I DID order another Chaos Questoris Knight. I still have to utilize those Den of Imagination Cannons and I figured I might as well do it now, especially since it'll take forever and a day for the Legio Models kit to get here from Russia. The question now is... do I want to do another multi-limbed murder machine in vain of Tristis Est Spe or not, and if I do how much armour do I strip from it?

On top of that, I ordered something else which I've been avoiding for quite some time... Cerastus Knights. A Castigator and Atrapos, to be specific. You see, I've avoided these for so long because I'm really not sure how I would modify one to fit into my army. They're so much larger, there's basically no aftermarket for parts and... yeah. I assume at the very least, the Atrapos would be more Dark Mechanicum than mutated and the design itself is already halfway there, but I don't know. I DO know that the Atrapos is another one of the Huntsman's machines so it'll sport the Seneschal scheme.

No, it's the Castigator that has me more befuddled. I've been considering trying to find a model skeleton of similar size and using parts to blend both decorative and organic bone and sinew / muscle with steel but even then I'm unsure if it will work, not to mention I'd love to swap the blade but I can't think of anything large enough (and I suck at working with plasticard).

*sigh*

Edited by DuskRaider

Alright, so a bit of an update... kinda. I THINK I'm done with the Castellan other than waiting for the Dark Mech Kit. I might add some more hoses and tubing but I'm not sure yet. If I do it'll only be on the right side which will house the Plasma Decimator.

However, I DID order another Chaos Questoris Knight. I still have to utilize those Den of Imagination Cannons and I figured I might as well do it now, especially since it'll take forever and a day for the Legio Models kit to get here from Russia. The question now is... do I want to do another multi-limbed murder machine in vain of Tristis Est Spe or not, and if I do how much armour do I strip from it?

On top of that, I ordered something else which I've been avoiding for quite some time... Cerastus Knights. A Castigator and Atrapos, to be specific. You see, I've avoided these for so long because I'm really not sure how I would modify one to fit into my army. They're so much larger, there's basically no aftermarket for parts and... yeah. I assume at the very least, the Atrapos would be more Dark Mechanicum than mutated and the design itself is already halfway there, but I don't know. I DO know that the Atrapos is another one of the Huntsman's machines so it'll sport the Seneschal scheme.

No, it's the Castigator that has me more befuddled. I've been considering trying to find a model skeleton of similar size and using parts to blend both decorative and organic bone and sinew / muscle with steel but even then I'm unsure if it will work, not to mention I'd love to swap the blade but I can't think of anything large enough (and I suck at working with plasticard).

*sigh*

How many Knights do you own right now again?

In my possession at this moment?

2 x Dominus Class Knights

7 x Questoris Class Knights

5 x Armiger Class Knights

That is an unholy number of Knights - literally, you have a multiple of 7. Nicely done.

Assuming cooperation from the other person involved, I'll be mailing the plasma tomorrow. Apologies for the delay, a combination of simply being forgetful and being genuinely unsure how to mail things like a normal person resulted in it being pushed back.

Ha! I guess you're right, I never thought about it. After the 8th Questoris and the two Cerastus it'll throw it off a bit, though.

Hey man no worries! I'm in no rush. The Legio Models kit was just sent out today so it'll probably be here in like six months knowing how Russian mail goes.

I did some more modifications to the Tyrant. Machinator over at Blood and Skull Industry now makes alternate barrels for Knight weapons and the RFBC barrel is a PERFECT swap for the Volcano Cannon and looks a lot better to boot. I also picked up a Nuclear Reactor and hacked up the rear of the model to add that. Looks a lot better. I'll get some pics later.

@PHM: I R'yleh appreciate your Lovecraft reference, his writing has always been an inspiration (among others).

Edit: here we go.

XRDphcr.jpg

bsOWTQ4.jpg

Wzu3B30.jpg

74M88ec.jpg

Ow2woFY.jpg

Eo36Vhm.jpg

DIqBx2i.jpg

8SDzxeA.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider

Cool, I'll definitely check them out. I'm not sure how I would incorporate the bones, either things like the ribcage over the torso armour or entire arms. I'm not even 100% sure that's the direction I want to take at all. I do know I've been on a hell of a dark technology kick and I should do something at least a little mutated at some point. Like I said, probably the Castigator.

I'm working on my 8th Questoris now. This one is armed with the Den of Imagination Cannons and I want it to be mutation free, but the thing about these weapons is it looks like multiple daemonic arms and tendrils are holding the weapons themselves. The solution I have is this: what if I paint the "daemonic" parts gold or rusted metal? Make it look as though the Dark Idolators are mimicking daemonic possession through metallurgy. I could even attempt to trim down one of the Chaos Knight faceplates and make it look almost like a Bushido mask or something on the FW Knight head. I don't know yet... honestly, these arms probably should have gone on the one Despoiler with the Greater Daemon attempting to free itself but I didn't. Oh well.

Edit: here's some pics thus far...

KBr5C99.jpg

bfo4M0d.jpg

ble7YoT.jpg

PUrY6P5.jpg

So a couple things... when I approached this, I wanted a more mechanical theme to it. Distressed, but mechanical. I also wanted to incorporate as much of the Chaos Knight kit as I could. I started doing the carapace before I even received the Knight, but while I was sitting there looking at the Chaos carapace and it's front trim I thought, "hmmm... well, I should be able to just cut the Imperial one off and add the Chaos collar thingy. Easy peasy!"

It was not easy peasy.

Come to find out, although they look like they'd be a pretty straight forward swap they are anything but. It involved a lot of glue and dodgy green stuff work to get it to where it is now. I'm unsure if I'm satisfied with it, but it'll do for now.

I got the idea for the exposed mechanics underneath the paneling from none other than Maxime Pastourel, although he had used one of the lubrication containers from a Knight Chainsword while I used a larger Ad Mech Castellan power source. This resulted in much less negative space and having to cut some of the Knight's structure, so I decided to just fill in most of the space with wiring.

The bent up panel was just using a hack saw and bending the plastic up. It had actually snapped off on me, so I glued it back on and smoothed out the crack as best as I could with some green stuff.

The head is pretty stock at this point. I've added some extra cables connecting to the body itself behind the head. I wanted to give it a more "plugged in" feeling. I'll probably end up giving it a horn of some sort as I usually do.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward so far. I ordered some pieces off of Gadgets Plus over on Shapeways... a Plasma Coil hatch (since this is AI and does not have a pilot) and the "Mechanic" pauldrons... which, after ordering I found out the price listed is for EACH, not a set. Never doing that again.

Edit #2: I forgot to add, the biggest kick in the nards with the Shapeways order is this: I made the order thinking, "well while I wait for the Legio Models kit to arrive I'll just get the rest of the pieces to finish my Despoiler. Great plan!"

Yeah... no. You see, the bits aren't even shipping until March 19th and I probably won't have them until around the 26th, meaning probably about the same time as the Legio kit, maybe even later. Figures.

Edited by DuskRaider

So these are the ones I used

A lot of fun to work with and I basically do a step by step of how I used them in the first 5 pages if it helps.

I even press molded bits because the green stuff copy has better flexibility for doing fun stuff.  

The new guy is coming along nicely. I'm really going to have to dig back through here when I throw my self fully at my chaos household.