DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

@Mech: thanks, I'll check it out!

@Kizz: thanks bud... still a long way to go, but it's getting there. Still have nightmares thinking about all the bases I need to do though, lol.

I'm going to experiment with the whole "daemon facemask" idea later and see if anything works (I doubt it). I'm also thinking of using the impalement spikes from the Chaos Knight kit on this guy after I get the pauldrons. I do have to avoid cluttering up the middle as this one will definitely have a Missile Launcher. In fact, I have four already painted and ready to mount to my various Despoilers that can accept them (damn you Gnarlmaw). Honestly I'm not sure why I haven't done it yet, I honestly I think I just forget they're done.

Alright, so I don't have any picture updates yet but I needed to post...

My Dominus kit was shipped from Russia on February 27th. Usually shipping times from Eastern Europe to the US are around the same as China, so about a month... it actually arrived on the 5th and has been sitting at the post office waiting for me. It's a Chaos miracle!

Even more good news... my Shapeways order has arrived as well! It wasn't even supposed to ship until the 19th. Brothers, Nurgle is speaking to me. He needs Makabius at full strength and I shall abide.

Picture updates coming very soon.

Final update before paint.

I've already begun painting the Despoiler. The Makabius Sable (it's not blue, it's not grey... it's Makabius) and bone are finished and I'm well on my way with the gold. It should definitely be finished by week's end.

Unfortunately, I ran out of primer before I could finish the Tyrant. Not to worry, another can is on the way. In the meantime, I received the Ectoplasm Cannon from Zeph (one thousand thanks, brother). I was able to mesh the Ectoplasm Cannon with the Plasma Decimator and... well, this is the result.

scE7Iju.jpg

1mzHIj1.jpg

9FXLzex.jpg

DZMJk3X.jpg

5ihBK0O.jpg

eZRNSZU.jpg

Originally, my plan was to mate the Ectoplasm barrel with the plasma coils of the Decimator, but the more I looked at it the more I thought the overall model would benefit from using the entire weapon. It does mean the plasma coils themselves aren't as prominent as with the original Decimator, but I think the weapon itself and the shield more than make up for it.

I wanted to have long loping cables hanging about the gun and entering into the various ports where the fleshy cables would have gone. It fits the overall theme of my Makabius to date and it makes the weapon look more experimental.

On the underside there is what I guess would be some sort of Gun Servitor? I'm not sure, really... I just kind of went with the flow.

In the massive crater that would be where the Forgefiend's arm would plug in I've added a canister from a Bloat Drone's Plaguespitter. I was unsure of what to do with this and it was the best I could come up with.

Overall I'm pleased with the end result. It may be stubbier than the original Decimator, but it makes up for it in heretical detail.

Let me know what you think!

Oh, and you can also see I've added more mechadentrites to the head area. I'm finally finished with that.

I think the cannon looks good, it really fits, even though it's more integrated than modified. I noticed the ports on the sides when I was looking the part over before sending it, and I love what you did with them - the pipes look great. I also like how you essentially just shoved a Plaguespitter tank in the ball-joint where the Forgefiend would connect to it, it's a good way to cover it up and use that big hole. Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing it painted!

Yeah, I weighed my options with it and I found it would have been difficult to match up the coils from the Decimator and the Ectoplasm Cannon correctly, I would have had to file away details from both, and in the end the result would have just been a Plasma Decimator with a mouth on the end with no real integration when it comes to the armour on it. Originally I was going to just mate the Chaos piece to the Decimator, but I had this Thermal Cannon shield left over from my Seneschal's Dark Mechanicum kit and figured it would match the Tyrant's kit as well. It was one of those things where I needed the bit in hand to decide how I'd use it. I rather like the end result, it blends the Chaos with Mechanicus.

I think the Sentinels from the Matrix always had a bit of an influence on my view of "bad robot". There's something very sinister and chaotic about jumbles of cabling and tendrils just hanging about a machine that says to me, "I don't care about the safety and longevity of this thing as long as it destroys everything in it's path".

I almost added additional mechadentrites to the carapace as well. The kit comes with these massive ones, but unfortunately they're very thick resin and even after giving them a 40 minute soak in boiling water they still didn't become pliable enough to bend. It was the same problem I had with my Chaos Warhound back in the day, but these are much worse. Ah well...

The Legio Models Dark Mechanicum kit for the Dominus. Big ole mechadentrites, big ole claws for them... completely useless because I can't shape them, lol. I've considered throwing them in the oven at 350 for a few minutes and see if that helps, but I don't want to deal with the acrid smoke or stench of burnt resin.

I love the smell of burnt resin in the morning.

I'm not too sure the wife and kids would, though.

Ah screw it, I might give it a shot anyhow.

Edit: yeah, alright... that didn't work. I could try sculpting them out of green stuff or just leaving well enough alone.

Edited by DuskRaider

I do not. The more I think about it, the more I want to avoid making the model too busy. It's already got so much going on in the head / torso area and the weapon arms (mainly the Decimator). I worry adding even more would be overboard... then again, look at the first Tyrant.

I forgot to mention, I entered my Huntsman Knight in a contest over on Legio Models' Facebook page. I'm not sure when they're publishing everything, but the cutoff is June so that's probably the time. I'll most likely enter the Tyrant as well since there's multiple categories.

XXFWE1j.jpg

17AXN1I.jpg

aP8zPib.jpg

9LG0Dst.jpg

TPT5a0c.jpg

n4BrtuU.jpg

VhhtunR.jpg

Mlz2EUr.jpg

fb8p6Eh.jpg

sWUtWb2.jpg

PBgG6rQ.jpg

Affiliation: House Makabius / HelForge Volgan (formerly Forge World M'Pandex)

Designation: Cinis Cor - Cinderheart

Pilot: Currently Unknown, last known per Imperial Record Naamah Makabius (M31)

Origin: See notes

Notes: Cinis Cor is an interesting subject for research purposes. Magos Kelinik of Forge World Mezoa found this frame has a signifier dating it to M30 and the Great Crusade, yet the machine itself seems to be a mix of the original Mars-Alpha and heretical Abhorrent Pattern.

The machine no longer seems to be occupied by a flesh and blood pilot as indicated by the cockpit now being replaced with a plasma generator, although its source of operation. Theories vary, from mind-shackled servitor-brain to daemonic possession (albeit with no outward sign). Some more radical elements within the Explorator Synod suggest this frame is similar to an Astartes Dreadnought sarcophagi or even more dubiously Abominable Intelligence is utilized. Whatever the case, this may explain the use of various patterns in it's current iteration: it had been previously destroyed.

Whatever the case may be, the weaponry seems to be a holdover from the previous owner. Ornate and variable armament indicates the pilot had access to wealth. The weapon limbs have been expertly crafted by heretical metallurgists to convey possession in a chassis that otherwise shows no signs of infestation. Why this was done

and what alloys were utilized is unknown. What has been shown is this unique weapon pattern's ability to interchange its loadout quickly. The Synod believes this would effect accuracy and reliability, but its adaptability would still be a great boon.

The frame also displays heavier unknown pattern armour upgrades. Pict captures show this machine taking considerably more damage than normal.

Well... there we go. I'm not too thrilled with the plasma, but I've never been good at that kind of thing, especially in a color I don't normally use. I do like how the weapon turned out though. I made the best of what I had.

Let me know what you think, folks. I'll be starting the Tyrant soon.

It has in smaller games against Imperial Knight armies, which is what it's original purpose was. I haven't fielded the whole thing yet. That would be quite a large game as I'm currently sitting on roughly 6,600 points. It has been discussed, though.

My issue is I don't have much time to game these days. Between three kids and a wife that manages a restaurant, I have very little time (or space) to play anything larger than Kill Team or 3 on 3 Knights. I'm looking to get a larger house some time soon so I may at least remedy the space issue.

I find this more therapeutic. Seeing as I have little time to play, I enjoy the hobby and world building aspect of the game. I've actually gotten more Titanicus games in over the past two years than I have 40K.

Edited by DuskRaider

Love the new Knight, Dusky - and I can really relate to the world-building aspect being the prime motivator for the hobby with little time to actually play.

I do find the Knight looks a tad unstable - as in he looks like his centre of gravity looks to be beyond his front foot. Other than that, I think you did a fine job with the plasma - and I like the ghostly feel of the paint job you did on the daemon flesh connecting  the guns to the sockets. 

Thanks Lunk!

Auggs: I see what you mean about being unbalanced. It may actually be the way I've positioned it on the backdrop, it's toward the rear where it starts to curve up and so it may actually be leaning forward a bit.

I can't figure out how to do a convincing red glow. Blue and green I'm a bit better at, but red escapes me. As far as the arms, they're actually supposed to be a virdigris'd copper / brass, lol. Either way, I'm happy with how they turned out.

Truth be told, I wasn't too inspired when I started this one. I think I'm running out of steam when it comes to Knights. There's only so much one can do to make each one unique. It sucks because there's so many great third party bits coming out. Taro Modelmaker just released some pretty awesome new stuff. There's also the whole actually playing thing, so...

I think after the Cerastus, I'll tackle the last LasLock Armiger and then maybe I'll call my House Makabius complete (sans bases).

Thanks Lunk!

Auggs: I see what you mean about being unbalanced. It may actually be the way I've positioned it on the backdrop, it's toward the rear where it starts to curve up and so it may actually be leaning forward a bit.

I can't figure out how to do a convincing red glow. Blue and green I'm a bit better at, but red escapes me. As far as the arms, they're actually supposed to be a virdigris'd copper / brass, lol. Either way, I'm happy with how they turned out.

Truth be told, I wasn't too inspired when I started this one. I think I'm running out of steam when it comes to Knights. There's only so much one can do to make each one unique. It sucks because there's so many great third party bits coming out. Taro Modelmaker just released some pretty awesome new stuff. There's also the whole actually playing thing, so...

I think after the Cerastus, I'll tackle the last LasLock Armiger and then maybe I'll call my House Makabius complete (sans bases).

Will there be a family photo when everybody's finished?