DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Well, those do give the whole piece a very different look - in a very good way. I personally am very much in favour of the skull spiking band - it looks different, inspiring, and unique. Combined with the spike and the syringe (goddamnit I've been looking for that bit for ages and they're sold out everywhere). The Venomcrawler spike railing also is a wiched idea - I hadn't noticed it on the other guy. For even more variation, consider turning it around (so big spikes forward) and see how that looks? I'm not sure that it will, but it's worth making sure. 

Question: where are its front arms from? I don't recognize the bits...

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I actually have the spiked railing in the reverse on my first Nyx-Pattern Rampager. The problem is, if I did it on this one then the skull would be facing toward the chassis and it would be difficult to tell what it is.

The arms are actually Adeptus Titanicus Raver legs. The hips are the shoulder, the thigh is the bicep and the shin is the forearm.

And thanks man. I appreciate it. I was hoping to blend the forbidden technology of the Dark Mechanicum with the wrought iron, almost barbaric aesthetic of current Chaos.

As for the Talos limbs, you should be able to find them on eBay. That's where I've picked them up each time and I've definitely purchased that bits lot at least five times now.

Thanks guys!

@BCK: admittedly, I can't take credit for that one. I had seen it on Pinterest. I'm not sure who's it was and it took me a little while to figure out what bits they used, but I definitely didn't come up with the idea.

@Zeph: haha, steal away man. You're working on a Knight? Do you have pics posted yet?

Thanks guys!

@Zeph: haha, steal away man. You're working on a Knight? Do you have pics posted yet?

Not working on, finished. I've got a Chaos Knight of Tzeentch, it's a salvaged lad, and not heavily converted. I'll probably try and post good pics sometime today - he's chilling in Today in the Hobby with my harlequins right now, but I'll try and take better pics and post 'em today.

Edit: Here's the lad.

gallery_137555_16239_313969.png

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Oh man I've missed a whole bunch of things since the last time I checked this thread! 

I'm very interested in seeing where you take the lancer, and the new Rampager is looking fantastic. Very brutal looking, and the featureless mask only emphasizes it further.

And just like Zepheniah is stealing your ideas, I'll be stealing the idea of using the Titanicus Reaver legs as tiny arms. :P They fit surprisingly nicely on a full-sized Knight.

@Zeph: looking good, man! And kudos on rescuing a model in need. I leave the Autocannon-as-Stubber replacement, quite fitting.

I do believe that Tzeentch gives some great themes to play with when it comes to Knights, in particular using the Pysker Knight relic. I had always imagined incorporating the C'Tan Shard from the Tesseract Vault with a Knight for that. Don't ask me how, just something I could see being interesting.

@BCK: Yeah, I hear ya. I just don't want people to know think I'm the one who came up with the idea.

@DF: thanks for the compliments, brother. And steal away, I'm just happy if I can inspire someone. The only thing I will say is that if you happen to find a good 3D print plan for Reaver legs, let me know. It sucks buying the entire kit just for the legs, lol.

Well... I don't have too much to show these days. I'm still waiting for my order to arrive from Taro, but I do believe it'll be here today. Nurgle willing.

I added more detail to the secondary arms (I like that phrase more than 'smaller arms', just sounds more professional lol). Some more pre-fabbed GW / FW cabling, some pistons trimmed from Talos appendages, and a massive syringe on the right arm. What's it used for? Well... I'm not sure, to be truthful. I do see this machine being used to gather... samples... while on the battlefield every now and then.

Most importantly, it adds more detail and dynamic to the model. These are details I did not include on the original Nyx-Pattern Knight for a few reasons. One is the weapons are much simpler so they don't have a need for complicated wiring. There really isn't much to a gigantic rotary blade and drill. Second is the first one was just that: the first rendition of this pattern. I wasn't even sure it would work.

I see the secondary hands as being incredibly articulate. They're able to gently grasp a living organism. They can also pry adamantine panels from a structure (or enemy). This would require much more in the way of parts and technology. Finally, it just looks cooler lol.

I had planned on eventually twisting the left hand around for a posing idea I had that would interact with the right arm, but unfortunately these details more or less squash that. I'm not going to get too much into it, you'll see later. In the end I don't think it would have worked too well anyhow. There's going to be much more a sense of movement with this one than the other. If I can pull it off.

I've also included some pictures of the Reaper Chainsword. As you can now see, it will be attached to the back via the Styrix Volkite cabling, only turned upside down so it feeds to the left-hand side. Again, I wanted a more advanced tech feel to it while also still grounding it in Chaos (as you can see from the smoke belching censers).

Anyhow, here you go.

IV9Xmbh.jpg

DGr97A6.jpg

AQcadnO.jpg

aUuApCz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, it's been awhile (relatively).

Unfortunately, no updates on the Knight front. The Rampager is all but finished pending a few small details here and there... at least I think it is. Truth be told, I'm not too keen on the right-hand arm and I kinda lost juice for the whole thing. Rest assured, I will pick it back up but I need a bit of a break from Knights for now.

I've been on a Titanicus building spree (literally), but that's not what I'm posting about. No, I have something(s) that have captured my attention and will most likely be my next paint job(s).

I'm sure most of you are aware of Creature Caster. If you go to the beginning of this thread you can actually see one of their Daemon Princes that I painted up. It's massive and glorious, but it has some flaws that are to be expected from a company just getting on their feet. That was some time ago and over the years they have mastered their craft of model making.

I recently picked up some of their models and by the rotted guts of the Grandfather they are absolutely gorgeous... in a hideous way. These are some of the most detailed models I've ever assembled (on par with Kingdom Death's selection, which I don't have any of unfortunately) and I am so excited to bring them to life.

I don't have pictures at the moment, so I'll throw links you to the product itself. The first are the Atriarchs of Ruin:

https://creaturecaster.store/us/product/atriarchs-of-ruin-full-set/?v=e748b7c8fd06

These are probably best described as stand-ins for Heralds of Nurgle, although they could probably work as the Super Mutants from the Gellerpox army (at least the two large ones). These are beautifully modeled and absolutely horrendous looking. Each definitely has its own unique personality (although the Butcher is perhaps a little too inspired by the Gellerpox model) and we'll thought out as far as their own little theme.

The Biomancer is probably my favorite. He gives off a Warlock vibe, maybe almost Witch Doctor ala Diablo III. Such a wonderfully detailed piece, from the rack of chemicals and parchments on his back to the little daemonic familiar perched upon his staff. The worm-like creatures protruding throughout the model are disturbing and I'm trying to place their inspiration... Tremors? Perhaps that Vampire-Zombie show that was on FX a few years ago, can't remember the name.

The next is the Paladin. Originally this was my least favorite sculpt, but once I had it in hand I was able to appreciate the piece much more. From the Iron Maiden shield to the organic looking armour and Nurgle-only-knows-what weapon, this may actually be the most disturbing one of the bunch, especially the facial sculpt. It has a Stephen Gammell feel to it... the guy who did the illustrations for the 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark' books. I really like the idea of a Pox Paladin as well... such a contradiction and yet it really works in this case.

Finally, the Butcher. As I said before, this model probably takes a little too much inspiration from the Gellerpox Butcher, but it's far and away the better of the two. From the gaping laceration-mouth to the myriad of tiny skull-looking boils and the (relatively) tiny arm offset by the massive club-like right arm, this sculpt is loaded with detail. While it's probably my least favorite, it's still an amazing piece.

These three really evoke a very INQ28 (or perhaps AoS28? Never played it) feel for me. They could easily pass as Daemons or Mutants and would set the mood for horror in any setting. I cannot wait to take a brush to them.

The next model has been an obsession of mine for quite some time although I never took the plunge for some reason. The Queen of Ruin:

https://creaturecaster.store/us/product/queen-of-ruin-preorder/?v=e748b7c8fd06

This model... I mean, wow. Again, this reminds me of something you'd see in Kingdom Death or even Dark Souls, at least that's the vibe I get. It's glorious. SHE is glorious. The detail on this piece of art (and it is art) are stunning. From the massive lolling tongue snaking from her gut maw to the ornate armour pieces and of course the faceless jibbering creatures emerging from beneath her, this is extremely impressive. She has both alternate heads and weapons. I've settled on the Knight helm head, although I may actually magnetize it so I could swap it out. The weapon I'm having the most trouble deciding and I may also magnetize it. Originally I was going to arm her with the staff (?) and use the sword / cleaver as the CC weapon on my Castigator, but the more I look at it the more I want to give the option to display her with either depending on my mood. The only issue I'm having is she unfortunately does not sit flush with the base so I may have to use some green stuff to take care of that (and a few gaps here and there).

The details on this model... I can't stop gushing over it.

Finally... and as a caveat I will say I have yet to build it, though I probably will after posting this... is the Death Elemental:

https://creaturecaster.store/us/product/death-elemental/?v=e748b7c8fd06

This is (most likely) supposed to be a Mortarion alternative and it shows in some aspects such as the Scythe and armoured limb, but this piece has enough of it's own merit to stand apart from it's at least partial influence.

Although the Elemental itself is only partially visible on this model, the effects surrounding it more than make up for it. Having this terrifying creature in the midst of emerging from what I can only guess is a Warp rift was an excellent idea and in my opinion, the sculptor pulled it off quite well. Adding to this is not only the lost souls swirling around both the rift and the Elemental itself, but that it actually has a great amount of detail on the backside.

Like the Queen of Ruin, the Elemental has multiple weapon options. While the Scythe alone is a great piece, adding the option of both an ethereal Torch and what looks to be a Sword in the process of assembling itself. I personally prefer the Torch, oddly enough, but the other two options are so nice I will most likely magnetize this one as well... and I absolutely hate magnetizing, so that really says something about both of these models.

That's about it. I'm currently in the middle of expanding my back deck and doing an absolute boatload of renovations and improvements on my house but I'm going to try to get these all primed ASAP.

Until next time.

Some of their stuff is amazing. The Lord of Sacrifice and the Queen of Malifica are genuine pieces of art and I really like the East Asian influence on both of them, not something you see very often. The Suzerin of Desire is also an extremely impressive piece. You can definitely see how far they've come from their first miniatures. Edited by DuskRaider

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, well if it makes you feel any better I also have a Titanicus Makabius Knight House.

Apologies for the lack of updates, I've been remodeling the house and working on other hobbies. Unfortunately, I've run out of steam for 40K lately and need a break.

That may all be coming to an end, however. I actually placed in the Knight painting competition (came in third) and used the prize money to purchase some more Knight upgrades. It will most likely take the form of another Rampager since I have some really cool stuff on the way that would lend itself well to it, but you never know. I also have some models for Titanicus I need to start on (with a cameo of the Death Lord himself!). Hopefully we'll see some life in either this thread of my other one over in the Titanicus forum soon enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp... I was hoping to have an update for everyone soon. I had begun painting the Heroes Death Guard Sorcerer and had made decent progress...

... my house caught on fire yesterday. Thankfully it was relegated to the kitchen (the one we were almost done remodeling), but the smoke damage is extensive. We've lost pretty much everything. The models seem to be mostly okay. A friend of mine is going to clean them thoroughly, but if the smoke stench is stuck to them then I have no choice but to write them off as a loss as well.

I had a bunch of models on my desk I was either currently working on or had finished (about three finished Knights alone) that have been damaged pretty badly when the firefighters had to basically throw the desk to smash out the windows.

I'm not sure what to say right now. I don't know what the future will hold for my 40K hobby. If it's all irreparably damaged then I'm probably walking away from it all permanently. There's just too much time and money to reinvest into the hobby that would be better served elsewhere.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. It's always bad news when disaster strikes. I've often wondered what I would do if a disaster struck my hobby room. I think I would be with you, I would walk away for good, if for no other reason than to leave the pain of loss behind. :(

Thankfully I was the only one there. The wife and kids were out at the time. I was sleeping upstairs with the AC on so I didn't hear the smoke alarm. It was actually my dogs crying that woke me up.

The room was filled with haze and I thought my AC was smoking so I went to run out the door to flip the breaker and I ran into a wall of pitch black smoke. I only had time to grab my phone and keys and had to run around the house to unlock the front door and drag my dogs out. If I had tried to go down the stairs I probably would have died. They said the same thing if I had been asleep for 15 more minutes.

I'm not burned but I'll probably be spitting up soot for a while. Unfortunately I had inhaled quite a bit getting out and then going back for the dogs.