Unit of the Week: Dreadnoughts

Acebaur

If they continue with the current model, which is "pay points for the model" and then "pay points for the weapon upgrades", there's never going to be an issue. WYSIWYG. If your model has two twin-autocannons, or two twin-lascannons, pay the points, and play them. It's like if you want to field a Cataphractii squad with storm shields, or an assault cannon, as for Imperial Fists in 30k. Buy a Cataphractii terminator, buy a storm shield, buy the off-hand weapon, play. You're not playing for advantage as the Cataphractii is slower than a regular assault terminator anyway, and you're not improving its invulnerable save by much.

Well I wouldn't say that's entirely solid logic.  They have points for Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, but I can't put those on a Neophyte just because of that :laugh.:

Either way, this sounds like House Rule territory to me.  The official line is against the dakka dread supreme, but if your gaming group is cool with it, no biggy.  

Edited by Firepower

How do Loyalist Leviathans work this edition? I have been charging ahead with my guard since the edition came out and only looked at some chaos options for the Dorito, which while expensive as hades, are pretty good, and haven't glanced hardly at the loyalist stuff. Now that I am down to needing to build a single squad of elysians(gotta be the most painful infantry models to build with all their fiddly bits) I am going to start working on my Red Scorpions again. Our Lord commander is getting turned into a Leviathan and while I might use him as such on occasion I plan on magnetizing weapons and using him as Joe Blow the Levi at other times. How are the weapon options? 

Standard contemptors, kheres or multi-melta? I don't remember seeing they had a lot of available options when it comes to main guns. I have a twin kheres mortis I plan on running at some point as well.

Contemptors are almost fast enough for a melta but I would pretty much always go kheres as they are more of a multi tool. However I'll only be running mortis contemptors, dakka is great haha.

From what I hear the leviathans are great, but they need a list built around them. Around the 60 melta bomb range and are better with transportation. Grav bombardment for hordes but need lucky dice or storm cannons for more reliable amounts of fire.

Has anyone used the Leviathan yet?

I faced a Chaos variant with Double Grav Bombard. It destroyed a full health Landraider in one round of shooting, then took 10 wounds off a Sicaran, and then finished off a Razorback. Point and click with that thing!

It's priority target number 1

I think it killed 40+ Guardsmen in one round of shooting in a different game also lol

My Leviathan is equipped with Cyclonic Melta and Drill. It's almost as good against single target units but also has deadly CC capabilities.

Edited by Ishagu

Double grav on a Leviathan is dirty. So much so that I refuse to use it in friendly games, which is pretty rare for me. It's waaaaaay powerful.

People complaining about stuff like Conscripts etc haven't seen the power of a fully operational Death Star....er, I mean Graviathan (I'm copyrighting that awful name btw).

Edited by Extropian

Mine has magnetised arms with various options. That one doesn't get used much, since 40k is definitely not my game for tournaments (honestly I've never understood 40k tournament players, terrible system for that style).

It will lose you friends the first time you hit 2 30 Ork boyz mobs with 7d3 shots each, on Bs2+. With a captain nearby probably. That kills on 2+.

And that's a nice thing to shoot at compared to what it does to things like Necron units, tough multi wound infantry, tanks, monsters or.....well, anything.

I'll double check later, but i'm pretty sure the answer is "yes". The Lucius drop pod simply stipulates that the carried model must have the "Dreadnought" keyword, which presumably the Redemptor does (thats the bit i need to double check, just to make sure it isnt weird).

Do they cost nearly as much in points as the standard pod, I wonder?  The cost of those things has gone bonkers (even with the slight discount in the new dex).

Granted, they're rather powerful without scatter on deep strike now.  Dropping in Sternguard or something like that 9 inches away on a guaranteed spot for the old 35 points would be pretty unfair.  But tripling that while taking out the Dread sized seat belt seems rather extreme! :(

The Dread Pod always cost more, but it had the cool rules of allowing the Dread to remain inside.

I still think it's worth considering, especially for something like a Leviathan.

As something of a Forgeworld Dreadnought afficionado,with a fair number of them in my army, I was a bit alarmed when I was looking through their Imperial Armour index and noticed a few odditites.

Neither variant of contemptor, relic contemptor or mortis contemptor seem to be able to take cyclone missile launchers as an option? The Leviathan also has no option for the three hunter killer missiles you could represent the top launcher it came with (which was somethingelse entirely in 30k). Am I missing something or these options just gone? They go to the trouble of listing every other weapon choice they have for the models except these launchers. The Deredeo has access to its launcher at least, but feels kinda lackluster compared to the others.

The index also doesn't for instance have an option for assault cannon turrets for razorbacks (which they sell), but they do have an entry for multimelta razorbacks (which they also sell) so I'm wondering if they were just sloppy when they put it together?