Unit of the Week: Dreadnoughts

Acebaur

I used to rock rifleman dreads.  Testing to see if Redemptor is gunna replace it.  One of them is pretending to be a Redemptor right now cause:  For not alot of points, I can get more wds., More movement,  CC., token AA, and a dice mountain (how bout that Orks? catch me outside!!!). 

All this at the expense of a declining stat-line, of course, but techmarine.

1 CP for relentless from IH CT is a part of my list.  Other chapters may not want a Dakkademptor, and go with +BS venerable for moving and shooting.

How do you guys like to outfit your Ironclads? I've never had one but I've been considering it.

I like the idea of a Hurricane bolter and Seismic Hammer, but I can also see the appeal of double cc weapons.

I've tried Hurricane and Chainfist with a melta gun. The HK's are nice and not too expensive, but don't make them an auto include if you don't have the points. Chainfist is superior to seismic hammer IMO as not having that -1 to hit is better than 1 more damage. I also think that with being able to take multiple units that give you re-rolls, having a second CCW isn't really worth it anymore. Plus with Hurricanes spitting out 12 shots inside of 12" now, it is a great option especially against hordes.

I've been using IC w/ hurricane bolters, chainfist, and H flamer.  If you need to burn some points, the IC's not a bad platform for HK missles. I use 1 @ 1500.

I sacrifice the re-roll for horde control from the bolters. (which will sometimes crop up, 20 boys w/ a claw or 2 is no fun).  Also run the chainfist for steady damage and no negatives. 

Hvy. Flamer for horde, plus is assault when I have to advance, which is fairly often cause he's slow.

This setup also makes it so I have pts. to run more dreads!!!

The hurricane bolters are proxied, as I've never used them in past editions but they are cool now.

Edited by Timur

Chaonfist and Hurricane bolters for me too. -1 to hit sucks and the bolter shots are fairly useful seeing how much infantry there is in the game now.

The Wisdom of the Ancients strategum boosts our Dreadnoughts massively. A stationary Venerable hits on a 2+ with a refill thanks to it and your cheaper Lieutenants can bolster his fire further.

No gun line is complete without a Dreadnought, Lieutenant and Devastator squad.

If only I could afford a Chaplain Dread...or 3. :P

I'm honestly going to just make my Venerable be able to be either a chap or just a basic Venerable. Enough bling and scrolls and no one will care it doesnt have a skull helm or those boring eagle wings

A quick note on the Redemptor; I saw one in action yesterday and it was just removing squads left, right, and centre with its enormous plasma cannon. Definitely the best option of the two guns unless you're facing Ork Horde or Guard Conscripts or similar.

If only I could afford a Chaplain Dread...or 3. :tongue.:

I'm honestly going to just make my Venerable be able to be either a chap or just a basic Venerable. Enough bling and scrolls and no one will care it doesnt have a skull helm or those boring eagle wings

A bit hard to pass off my Ironclads as Chaplains in the same way.  Besides, I'm in it for the painting, not the gaming (mostly). :wink:

As an aside, are there good non-FW Inferno Cannon-ish arms for dreads?

Edited by Firepower

Paint a skull on the face of your dread head.  He's a chappy now=).

For once I don't need to look at forgeworld for fun, effective, efficient dreadnoughts.  Thanks GW.   (Though Redemptor  and Contemptor are actually in the codex now).

@Gen.Steiner: Yeah dude, so far the Dakkademptor is a straight up upgrade to a rifleman, assault cannon, heavy bolter (lol), or flamer dread.  Its declining stat line is an issue since it starts w/ 3+BS and gets worse.  Techmarine or 2 solves that problem for dread heavy lists. 

Though a canny opponent will devote just enough firepower to nerf the ballistics of these multiwound dreadnoughts if you can't get that wound back.

I will be trying out a second redemptor @ high points with the giant plasma gun, we'll see how that goes.  It has the wounds to overcharge it's gun multi turn, so I will probably make it immolate itself.

Edited by Timur

As an aside, are there good non-FW Inferno Cannon-ish arms for dreads?

I came up with a pretty good kitbash using a redeemer flamestorm Cannon and a Dreadnought Lascannon arm. I think it came out pretty darn good. I'll snap a picture when I get home from work.

Edit: I have a not so great pic on my phone but you can see what's been done more or less. Flamestorm Cannon trimmed, Lascannon snipped off, tank on the back, rhino tow rope as the fuel line.

http://i.imgur.com/8Dpesis.jpg

Edited by Cognative

That's. . . pretty massive.  I know you'd have to lose the hose, but I'd cut the flamestorm casing off too, trim it back to just the barrels.  You'd still have the hose for the pilot light at the front, so it still looks like an Imperial flame weapon.  I just feel like it stick out way too far.

Still, the idea it can be made from GW parts is encouraging.  I bought the FW ones many years ago and juuuuuust don't feel like it's worth it.  I really just need to try it out though.