Unit of the Week: Dreadnoughts

Acebaur

Yeah, it is quite big. But in 7th edition the Dreadnought Inferno Cannon was the same stat line as the flamestorm cannon, so I figured it would be a visually Easy-to-Read conversion. Also the black undercoat on the body behind it is definitely making it look a bit bigger than it really is (but it's still huge).

Edit:

It's just a smidge longer than the Twin Lascannon, but the back of it adds considerable beef.

http://i.imgur.com/F72kK0Q.jpg

Edited by Cognative

Paint a skull on the face of your dread head. He's a chappy now=).

For once I don't need to look at forgeworld for fun, effective, efficient dreadnoughts. Thanks GW. (Though Redemptor and Contemptor are actually in the codex now).

@Gen.Steiner: Yeah dude, so far the Dakkademptor is a straight up upgrade to a rifleman, assault cannon, heavy bolter (lol), or flamer dread. Its declining stat line is an issue since it starts w/ 3+BS and gets worse. Techmarine or 2 solves that problem for dread heavy lists.

Though a canny opponent will devote just enough firepower to nerf the ballistics of these multiwound dreadnoughts if you can't get that wound back.

I will be trying out a second redemptor @ high points with the giant plasma gun, we'll see how that goes. It has the wounds to overcharge it's gun multi turn, so I will probably make it immolate itself.

If they want to leave the Redemptor Dreadnought nearly fully operational in melee that works fine for me. Especially since I run a chaplain who can keep that fist punching with accurate hate. Edited by TrexPushups

Now that I have my Redemptor, I kinda like the front armor. You get 2 options so that they don't all look the same.

Still torn on the main gun though. Guess I'll just have to keen it loose and swap as needed.

See, that sounds over-the-top dangerous, even in a fictionalization sci-fI war game. I mean, it's a gateway weapon to shooting miniaturized black holes. Which, we all know from experience, is terrible for the environment.

Save the Galaxy, use explosive ammunition :tu:

You do have to be careful.  With the introduction of Lieutenants to marine armies, there are a lot of officers walking around with nothing to do:

SM Lieutenant: "Did you not save the sod, for when you rebury that slit trench marine?  And by the emperor, did you just completely cover the entrance to that

mole den!"

I'm settling on a Venerable with twin lascannon and missile launcher. Hanging further back so it won't die as easily and gifting Wisdom of the Ancients to Devastator squads and being supported by a Lieutenant.

Great anti air too.

So I used my redemptor for the first time yesterday.

It was also my first game of 8th, and first game in general for about 2yrs.

I ran it as the all dakka option, and it pretty much annihilated my opponent’s poxwalker screen on turn 1, which really opened things up for some of my other units.

After that, it was more hit and miss, until turn 4....

At that point, I made an error. Turn 3 I had charged my opponent’s hellbrute with the Redemptor, and had knocked a couple of wounds off it.

Turn 4, opponent’s Lord of Contagion and Daemon Prince both joined the combat and promptly destroyed my dread... the. The fun started.

I rolled a 6 to make it explode, followed by a 6 and two 5’s for the three models, turning all 3 of the opponent’s units into a green smear on the battlefield.

Even in death he still serves.

Awesome. But first I want to mention our brothers over in the SW section. I played against their Dreads and oh boy, are they a hard bunch. Especially the characters. To that end I want to recommend the Chaplain Dread from FW.

Anyway, the Redemptor. I have mixed feeling about it. No mistake, it is tough, even though it has to suffer from degradation for taking damage. In fact, it worked amazingly well as a distraction unit in the games I did without Chapter Tactics and so forth. However, the melee felt negligible. Most of the time it functioned as a weapon platform, and oh boy does he do it well. Unless you are really short on anti-tank, I recommend the gatling version. He has plenty shots to pressure infantry. If you have a CM, the -1 hit is not as bad at all.

Most people seem to fear his melee more than ranged, which is pretty funny as the games turns into the Billy Hill show where he chases enemies around while they try to take him down.

The Stratagems and psychic powersmake him really shine though. The Armour of Contempt, Might of Heroes and Psychic Fortress make him amazing at tanking various damage and distract the opponent. Wisdom of Ancients make him a substitute Captain.

So here is my verdict on him. As UM I usually just run one and use him as a bubble with Wisdom in areas where other Heroes will not get, and as a gun platform. I do not run aggressive lists, so I rarely advance further than I need with him. You can run two alongside other aggressive elements though. That is one advantage of this Dread. He is not limited to any one role and can cover whereever you need him. Enjoy with caution though. It is a big target and can be quite costly. Support it well though and use it as an Captain-extension and I feel it is a great addition to any army looking for another anchor.

That is precisely how I would describe him in my army. A secondary anchor.

Edit:

For those with the model, could you do a quick measurement of its height? From the bottom of its feet to the top of the missile pod. With primaris models larger in scale it's hard to estimate it's height from pics, if you don't have primaris yourself.

About 3.5 inches or about 9cm in height ;)

Edited by Immersturm

My brand new Ironclads hit the table for the first time today, deployed by Pods against a tank-heavy Guard army.  One made the charge, one didn't.  Spent several turns punching back and forth between him and 6 Ogryns with shields and mauls and their Commisar, after a Crusader Squad, Helbrecht and a Castellan eventually came wading in to join the fun.  

Ogryns are damn tough!  On the up side, so is the Ironclad.  That sucker took a beating and kept on swinging.  On the down side, I forgot for the entire combat that Helbrecht gives +1 Strength to everyone within 6".  The whole game was basically taking place in that one corner, with the two transports and their Ogryn babies screening 6 or 7 tanks from my stabby, smashy beauties.  If I'd recalled the +1 Strength I would've broken through much faster, and the whole game would've changed.

Oh well, the point is getting the Ironclads stuck in is an awesome feeling, and they easily hold their own against even serious brutes (my opponent was convinced that the Ironclad would die immediately).  Glad I put in the effort to finish them :tu:

Yes Ironclads are sporting the new AV14; Toughness 8. Dreadnoughts suffer from "death by bolter" and T8 is the magic number.

I'd like an Ironclad for my army but finding the points is a nightmare! I already have a Venerable and a Contemptor!

Lol, Ironclads just got a lot cheaper though Capt, so that helps at least.

Personally for the Redemptor, I feel like the macro plasma is a better option mostly because while the dakka is fun, there are other platforms I can get a similar/better weapon on, namely the Twin Assault cannon. I've yet to playtest any of this though, so this just theory a this point.

Don't forget the points you need for a delivery system as well, Idaho. You can't just waddle those guys all the way up the board and expect them to succeed. They won't even catch some armies :P

Stormraven with Twin Assault Cannon, Twin Multimelta, and 2 Hurricane Bolters carrying 5 Hammernators, a Chaplain, Apothecary, and an Ironclad Dreadnought FTW!

Don't forget the points you need for a delivery system as well, Idaho.  You can't just waddle those guys all the way up the board and expect them to succeed.  They won't even catch some armies :tongue.:

Yeah but there are some pretty long range options for most dreads. Ironclads are really the only ones who need a transport. Depending on who you are facing of course ;)