Unit of the Week: Dreadnoughts

Acebaur

I just want to point out that Dreadnoughts with only 8 wounds is actually a massive plus. Why? No drop in stats as the thing takes wounds. I had a Venerable squish Captain Artemis and a Terminator librarian on only 3 wounds (ended with 3.)

Venerables hitting on a 2+ is amazing.

Still getting a Redemptor though.

I just want to point out that Dreadnoughts with only 8 wounds is actually a massive plus. Why? No drop in stats as the thing takes wounds. I had a Venerable squish Captain Artemis and a Terminator librarian on only 3 wounds (ended with 3.)

Venerables hitting on a 2+ is amazing.

Yup, cannot agree more here. Fighting at full capacity all the way down to 0 is pretty massive.

Chaplain Venerable also being 9 Wounds and a Character is infuriating for most opponents as well.

Being able to use the Venerable 'FNP' on overheated heavy plasma cannon mortal wounds is solid gold as well.

So I got mine this weekend and assembled it. It's a good bit more complex than most of the other kits that I've assembled but in the end it looks really nice. I wanted storm bolters over the frag launcher and went with the mini-onslaught cannon under the power fist instead of the heavy flamer. My pickle is: Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon (HOGC) or Macro Plasma Incinerator (MPI)?

I'm contemplating an all primaris force which means I should probably load up on the high strength weapons since we are lacking lascannons. However, the HOGC looks sooooo much cooler than the MPI. If I go with that though then I'm pretty much making him dedicated anti-infantry/aircraft (which I gotta say, is a nice include, that AA).

The HOGC has a consistent 12 shots (s5 -2ap 1d) but the MPI has longer range, higher strength, 4x better AP, and the potential for 2 damage per shot BUT that random d6 shots and overcharge burn.

Its a pickle. Thoughts?

Edited by Cap'm Heckus

not terribly I guess. It'd be a very small magnet holding a very big gun though. The peg that goes into the arm from the gun is less than 1/8 of an inch. I might be better off clipping the peg and drilling out both pieces for a larger magnet.

Now, if I'm adding the HOGC variant to my Templars then it DOES bring something new to the table. Hmmm.

Edited by Acebaur

From what I've read it really isn't very hard to change out the two.  Magnets are preferable, even such a small space, but some folks say it is basically snap fit once the parts are primed/painted because it adds just enough thickness to the peg for a snug fit.

Still, I would prefer a magnet.

I wouldn't quite say snap fit. It's snug now, but after it has been swapped in and out a few times it's going to get loose. The problem is that it is on a downward hang in the gun has a little bit of meat to do it.

I wouldn't quite say snap fit. It's snug now, but after it has been swapped in and out a few times it's going to get loose. The problem is that it is on a downward hang in the gun has a little bit of meat to do it.

Have you primed yet? Apparently it's a very snug fit once primed. Maybe being snug and a small magnet will do?

I am in the same place as you though, primaris need anti tank but DAKKA! Maths wise the dakka isn't too short on the plasma I think against tough targets and if your moving more shots more chance to hit...

Merging these threads since they are both discussing dreadnoughts(Redemptors fit in here too!)

I'm very tempted to get a Redemptor now that I've seen it without the front armor.  I know a lot of folks are loving the Gat cannon because dakka is always fun, but I honestly think that the Plasma is going to be superior. I mean lets face it, the Gat cannon is basically a sub par Twin Assault cannon which can be had on multiple other platforms, some of which are either far cheaper or more durable. I think the underslung cannon and plasma is a great combo basically giving you an AT and AI weapon on a dread that still has a giant scary CCW.  Not to mentions the other guns it sports. Doing the math, against a T7 3+ save unit, the Plasma is actually better, even with significantly less shots. 

As for the model, I highly recommend magnetizing as it's not usually that hard and gives you flexibility if you need one or the other in a given game.  

I think the HOG looks cooler but for effectiveness the mega-plasma-cannon is probably the way forwards.

I agree. And i'm glad HOG is catching on :D

For Primaris especially they simply don't need more anti-infantry. They do badly need some anti-tank. The plasma isnt bad at that...iirc it works out as slightly ahead of a twin lascannon.

Yeah, true.

It's a shame about the effectiveness of the HOG, because the idea of loading up a Redemptor with all the gatling guns and some storm bolters for almost Ork levels of dakka is an enticing one

It's not that its weak. Against certain targets (hordes....) it'll perform much better. My main issue is that Primaris can already butcher hordes with almost comedic ease, but struggle against tanks without taking non_primaris options.

Yeah I just feel like there are other platforms that I can similar amounts of dakka but the plasma it carries doesn't come on anything else and is a great weapon

I've started fooling around w/ the redemptor.  Using counts as models as I don't have one, and haven't converted one up yet.  I've used 1 @ 1500pts, and plan to try 2 @ 2000.  My list uses an Ironclad, contemptor, and a techmarine on bike as well. 

The redemptor w/ the hvy onslaught, onslaught, and SB's kicks out 22 shots @  mid strength.  Plus token AA missiles.  That has been enough to wipe small squads, cripple large ones, and will even manage a couple Wds off a T-7 vehicle/dread.  Extra funsies for hitting it w/ IH strat for relentless on the move.  Mostly useless against those few T8's out there, but that's what lascannons and plasma is for.

The stat loss with damage can be annoying on the redemptor or contemptor, but that can be mitigated with a techmarine. 

IH CT also make 11wd redemptors beefy as each wound has a 6+ save.  2x6+ for Vens.

I like the survivability and unchanging stat line of Ven dreads, but I don't like Ven dread loadouts compared to contemptor/redemptor. It just doesn't give me what I want for the points.

The Ironclad with bolters & CF just got really cheap, and points efficient (albeit slow) T8 choice.

I'm still the president of the Contemptor w/ Kheres fan club.  By far the most efficient dread with an 5++ and fantastic stat line.  (techmarine babysitter recomended).   I use that model in every game, every points level, down to patrol.

See, I like the idea of a Dreadnought firebase - two or three Dreads with ranged weapons with a Techmarine sat behind them.

A couple of Quad Autocannon Dreads would be putting out 16 S7 shots a turn with a Techmarine to help repair the damage. Hefty firepower there.

See, I like the idea of a Dreadnought firebase - two or three Dreads with ranged weapons with a Techmarine sat behind them.

A couple of Quad Autocannon Dreads would be putting out 16 S7 shots a turn with a Techmarine to help repair the damage. Hefty firepower there.

This is how I've always seen Dreadnoughts.  These are walking tanks and should carry big guns to blast the enemy apart first.