The Drinking Hole - General Necromunda banter thread

hummus

That's the thing with photo manipulation, anything can be made to look bigger... 

Even if the new minis are slightly taller anyway, its no different to people using those new fangled Primaris thingys in their armies. Plus un augmented humans vary wildly in size anyway so it doesn't matter, Sister Alessia and myself are the same size even though I'm older, yet I know kids till in high school who are wayyyy taller than me. 

We shouldn't be complaining about scale creep as that's obviously gonna happen considering Necromunda came out over 20 years ago, we should be concerned about what GW are doing to the rules for the game itself. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

As posted in another thread humans in the 40k lore vary tremendously in size Ibram Gaunt stands a whopping 220cm (7'2"), Major Gilbear of the Volpone 250cm (8'2") with colonel corbec standing somewhere around the 240cm mark and trooper Bragg even bigger.

And back in my metal and rock club days I had friends who ranged vastly in height dependent on starting height and boot heels.

I don't think there is enough variation in height and weight in most wargames miniature lines but as its a representation of a model and allows for a better visual uniformity on the table top we let it slide.

Just my female friends range from between 5"1 and 6"1. Amy and Heather look to be on a totally different scale lol. All though both do wish to be a "regular" height, whatever that is :dry.:

Moving swiftly on. Are you guys still going to play Shadow War in the buildup to Necro, then convert over? My group is going to continue playing both. It seems younger gamer's (except me, because I'm Old Skool :cool.:) don't seem as interested in gangs. They like that Shadow War lets them play nids, tau, necrons etc. and aren't really excited about different humans fighting. I'm hoping as more gangs get released, they will come around to the idea. 

Munda all the way, SW:A didnt quite do it for me. I can see why people like it but personally (IMHO) it wasnt as good as it could have been. Was like going to a gig expecting Darkthrone and getting Cradle of Filth instead. :lol:

Aint tiny friends adorable!! Its nice to be taller than someone. :D

The lack of options in your team really killed a lot of the excitement I had for SW:A before the rules dropped. What if I don't want to pay 240+ points for a Dire Avenger Exarch? Oh, it's my only option for a leader? 

I hope 'Munda is a little more friendly in that area. 

I get (and love) the concept of SW:A, to play a skirmish level game with all the weird and wonderful characters/aliens that 40k has to offer.

And in some ways it's great. The basic old-Necromunda rules work as well as they always did, no problem there. But it fails in the lack of individuality and customisability within the teams. SW is a mix of Necromunda and 40k, but (IMHO) it should have been a mix of Necromunda and Inquisitor, much like the fan made Inquisimunda rules.

I liked the idea of Shadow War and the rules for Skitarii looked quite interesting but the lack of options to equip the squad seemed a bit half-hearted compared to what Necromunda allowed. If I get involved in Necromunda it will probably just be from the collecting side of it. I don't really know anyone willing to throw some dice around these days.

Have decided on a gang theme, ended up going with the Logician theme (as it was most popular one on my WIP thread). Have assembled the first five, who can be seen below. Hopefully I can fit them in somehow once the rulebook drops.

STILTHEEL_JACK

yaxt7Jf.jpg

idyQFcI.jpg

MECH_HEAD

tZtIA0f.jpg

AWpPqNx.jpg

CORVUS_IRATUS

4IF9cLt.jpg

POLYPH_EMUS

SWywGnC.jpg

BLACK_KROM

vJOObbU.jpg

Cheers!

So, I'm biting the bullet early, and starting work on a gang now before the game comes out. So far, I'm waiting on an eBay auction to end on a Confrontation model to use as a proof of concept. Will post pics if or when I win the auction.

Edit: Considering going either full on 80's campiness, or Blanchitsu style.

Edited by Calgar 2.0

I can't help but feel that some of the old metal Goliaths with big perms or back combed mullets would work so well for a slightly different looking gang. Just not got the gs skills to pull it off yet.

So, I'm biting the bullet early, and starting work on a gang now before the game comes out. So far, I'm waiting on an eBay auction to end on a Confrontation model to use as a proof of concept. Will post pics if or when I win the auction.

Edit: Considering going either full on 80's campiness, or Blanchitsu style.

Blanchitsu style 80s campness??

While I've seen plenty of terrain using it and it looks cool enough, now that you ask the question I reckon it's got to be pretty unlikely. Necromunda is all ash wastes outside the Hives, so there isn't going to be much (if any) of a local supply? What trees there are would probably be part of some rich guy's private garden and not for use in some scumbags hab! Equally, items made of timber are probably rare treasures, perhaps even because they're made of wood!

Plastic, concrete and metal seem the more likely choices?

That said, I guess you could fluff-justify wooden looking things as 'the dense, fibrous stalks of a particular fungi that grows in the darkness of the Underhive...'

That's a nice shack. Did you use cardboard for the corrugated panels?

Cheers! :smile.: Yea its just card with the top layer peeled off. 

As for wood, just look at Chernobyl today, nature is taking over already so I would assume 'something' would be growing that has wood like texture. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I'm going to paint a few Escher today I think, if I can find my undercoat...Defo going to have a tank girl feel to them :D

I am hoping that GW will provide rules, eventually, for 'gangs' from other factions. Chaos/Stealer cults, Sisters (to purge said cults). That said if GW don't provide, the community always does!

Would love to see a new Kal Jerico model too

I'd imagine you could do a mostly metal/concrete or plastic based shanty town with just the mayor/warlord/gang leaders house made of wood, a status symbol of their wealth and power.

Perhaps mahogany is classed as archeotech on Necromunda.

Liking your water tower @slave, was considering something similar myself.

I suspect the flora of the underhive would have some mutated fungus on stalks that could be used like wood or something... :)

Heck, even some ants farm fungus deep within their hills.