The Drinking Hole - General Necromunda banter thread

hummus

We need a Hive Guys food franchise in our Shanty Town...

Recycled food, its cheap and nutritious!!!

Caution, may contain traces of human teeth and hair. Not suitable for human consumption.

Urgh ... I've just got in from work and about to tuck into some food. Now not so hungry.

We need a Hive Guys food franchise in our Shanty Town...

Recycled food, its cheap and nutritious!!!

Caution, may contain traces of human teeth and hair. Not suitable for human consumption.

Urgh ... I've just got in from work and about to tuck into some food. Now not so hungry.

At least you can make something. Ive got to clean up other peoples mess before I can start, one is not happy. The kitchen actually looks like the sump.

And then all the Brits meet up at Warhammer world for the day, furious dice rolling and bad Monty Python puns ftw!!!! :wub:

But yeah that does sound like a good idea, I keep putting off the scenery building side of the hobby and could do with a kick up the bottom to get the ball rolling. 

Im serious about meeting up lol.

Sounds like a plan mate once I am back on my feet we'll have to organise a meet up. Been wanting to go for years. :tu:

I think what might be the best idea is have people focus on a single terrain piece they want to add and maybe just give a little blurb on it's occupants or it's function. Doesn't have to be anything challenging, just something to get people making bits of terrain.

I'm thinking as it's bolter and chainsword maybe the Bolt Hole might be a suitable name for the shanty town. I'll get started on a terrain piece tomorrow to get the ball rolling but any background stuff to flesh the start out you want to add before we start the thread mate feel free to chime in. :tu: 

What I had pictured to start us off was a drained out promethium sump that Underhivers have moved into over the years and made it their home. So basically the upper hive have used the resources and moved on leaving all manner of engineering equipment and lost areas that were exposed by engineering teams hundreds of years ago. The town itself is built out of the discarded junk and exposed scrap that got left behind.

The Necromunda bug has bitten and I will definitely be jumping in with a gang but can't decide on a theme. I have narrowed it down to a few choices and a wild card but was hoping you fine folks would lend me a hand in helping to decide!

In no particular order:

Idea 1: Ships Crew. A merchant/ship owners saviour pod crashes in the ash wastes near a hive. The crew and armsmen have to fight their way up the hive to deliver their cargo.

Idea 2: Logician Darwinian Experiment. Drop a load of clones/cyborgs in the underhive to test their suitability as a warrior strain. Also search for Archaeotech, ya know because they are Hereteks. 

Idea 3: Mercenary group. Using the wars in the underhive to make a name for themselves and gain prestige with the noble houses. (Bit boring but could work). (Will also need a name for the group).

Idea 4: Lovecraftian Cult. A doomsday cult has emerged in the underhive claiming contact with a dead god sleeping below the ash, though unlike the rabid redemptionists or chaos cults they worship something much older and not necessarily from this universe. Gives me the option of super creepy stuff, and is quite different. SPECIFICALLY NOT A CHAOS CULT. 

Idea 5: Wild Card. If you have a suggestion am all ears. (the crazier the better)

Any input would be super welcome!

Idea 4: Lovecraftian Cult. A doomsday cult has emerged in the underhive claiming contact with a dead god sleeping below the ash, though unlike the rabid redemptionists or chaos cults they worship something much older and not necessarily from this universe. Gives me the option of super creepy stuff, and is quite different. SPECIFICALLY NOT A CHAOS CULT. 

Soooo ... basically a Necron/C'tan Cult :wink:. Would fit with the heresy lore after all :whistling:

I've had an idea that might be fun, seeing as there are a few of us interested in Necromunda here and in order to motivate us all a bit why not we combine our resources and make a B&C Underhive shanty town?

So basically each person can add a piece of terrain they want to make and add a little bit of history or even just make a gang or character based there?

Call it Bolt Town or something. People could makes stores, bars, pit fight arenas, local characters, do artwork, whatever takes your fancy. Just use it as motivation to make stuff.

I'm working on a small piece at the moment so can get the ball rolling tomorrow if anyone wants in?

That's a great idea! I'm working on a bar owned by a starting Genestealer cult, but my paintskills are lacking to make a sign for the bar. It might take a while.

Would 'The Happy Hybrid' be fitting name?

I've had an idea that might be fun, seeing as there are a few of us interested in Necromunda here and in order to motivate us all a bit why not we combine our resources and make a B&C Underhive shanty town?

So basically each person can add a piece of terrain they want to make and add a little bit of history or even just make a gang or character based there?

Call it Bolt Town or something. People could makes stores, bars, pit fight arenas, local characters, do artwork, whatever takes your fancy. Just use it as motivation to make stuff.

I'm working on a small piece at the moment so can get the ball rolling tomorrow if anyone wants in?

That's a great idea! I'm working on a bar owned by a starting Genestealer cult, but my paintskills are lacking to make a sign for the bar. It might take a while.

Its so overt its covert!! :tu:

Yeah that's fine mate. What we'll do is anyone can add what they want as it's about being creative and getting your scenery built at the end of the day. I'm sure me and StD can work anything people make into the narrative so no worries there. ;)

I'm gonna pick 'Cranky Kraken' with red letters on a cream background, with the 'C' being a cult icon.

Do you want background with that? I was going for a small personal joke by adding some small extra's to my terrain. A cult hiding in plain sight with a bar seems like something they would do. Who knows, they might be responsible for the exploded policestation I'm working on right now.

A while ago on a night out I managed to somehow pull a very sexy... bit of drainpipe (don't ask :lol: ), as no normal person needs drainpipe I hacked a bit off the end and threw the rest away. Originally it was going to be a tower for a Brettonian castle but I have decided I'm gonna turn it into an old pipe that people have moved into. Lay it on its side and connect one end to the side of a random structure and on the open side stick in a little campfire, bedrolls (have seen some nice post apoc resin mattress' and sleeping bags that would be perfect) and tiny food cans, if i can be arsed I might even stick in a little Led or something as a dodgy light source. 

As its going to be a part of the underhive that has been drained I think a lot of rifraff would make homes in the disused pipes. 

I'm also thinking of making some Twist (Mutant) 'Ladies of Negotiable Pleasure' as random civilians. I have seen grimdark whores before but they have been the usual Witch Elves, Dark Elf Wytchs etc, I'm thinking of using the Hobbit Goblins, but grimly 'feminized' with bad makeup, short skirts, heels and important bits dropping off them.

I'm gonna pick 'Cranky Kraken' with red letters on a cream background, with the 'C' being a cult icon.

Do you want background with that? I was going for a small personal joke by adding some small extra's to my terrain. A cult hiding in plain sight with a bar seems like something they would do. Who knows, they might be responsible for the exploded policestation I'm working on right now.

That's a great idea mate. If you want to add a small back story to it all the better, one thing to remember is that the vast majority of the Underhive are going to be poorly educated and will have no idea what a Genestealer Cult is till it's too late so you have a ton of freedom to play with. If you think about all the muties that come and go a weird group of bald headed people with piercing eyes isn't going to look out of place. If you are going for a burnt out police station Enforcers are the ones to research, they're kind of like Arbites-lite.

A while ago on a night out I managed to somehow pull a very sexy... bit of drainpipe (don't ask :laugh.: ), as no normal person needs drainpipe I hacked a bit off the end and threw the rest away. Originally it was going to be a tower for a Brettonian castle but I have decided I'm gonna turn it into an old pipe that people have moved into. Lay it on its side and connect one end to the side of a random structure and on the open side stick in a little campfire, bedrolls (have seen some nice post apoc resin mattress' and sleeping bags that would be perfect) and tiny food cans, if i can be arsed I might even stick in a little Led or something as a dodgy light source. 

As its going to be a part of the underhive that has been drained I think a lot of rifraff would make homes in the disused pipes. 

I'm also thinking of making some Twist (Mutant) 'Ladies of Negotiable Pleasure' as random civilians. I have seen grimdark whores before but they have been the usual Witch Elves, Dark Elf Wytchs etc, I'm thinking of using the Hobbit Goblins, but grimly 'feminized' with bad makeup, short skirts, heels and important bits dropping off them.

That sounds absolutely brilliant mate. That's exactly how I picture people slumming it in the Underhive, chances are those ladies of the night are the real lookers down here. :D

The way I personally picture something like this is where you have a situation where the House Gangers are actually seen as the upper class in the same way they in turn look at the upper tier Houses. Looks like we are at the bottom of the social ladder mate. :D

I've got my bit underway and will post pictures later, just waiting for official word from a mod before starting the thread so we don't tread on anyone's toes. I'm going for a small trading post where the denizens can trade and barter for scrap and turn in bounties on some of the more dangerous creatures that they have killed that might threaten the locals.

What I think might be an idea is if we have it when the sump was drained they were supported by PDF forces who then abandoned their vehicles and equipment for some reason, a few centuries pass and then the locals move in. That way it opens up the floor for people to use pretty much anything they want as a basis for terrain, like families living in a converted defunct Leman Russ chassis or a rusted Baneblade converted into a nightclub or whatever. A sort of their junk is our treasure mentality, then people can just go wild.

What I think might be an idea is if we have it when the sump was drained they were supported by PDF forces who then abandoned their vehicles and equipment for some reason, a few centuries pass and then the locals move in. That way it opens up the floor for people to use pretty much anything they want as a basis for terrain, like families living in a converted defunct Leman Russ chassis or a rusted Baneblade converted into a nightclub or whatever. A sort of their junk is our treasure mentality, then people can just go wild.

That gives me an excuse to use the old tank mini I blew up when I was 19 :lol

So as not to derail the thread too much I'll put up the other shots of my gangers in my 40k wip thread but so you know what I am thinking in terms of an example terrain piece this is the first bit I am working on. It's basically a failed knight I started ages ago and ended up scrapping it to save a second knight I am working on. Now you could ask what is a knight doing in the underhive but that's kind of the point, no one knows what it is or where it came from. It's literally a case of finders keepers and although it may be ancient revered technology to the likes of the Ad Mech but to the lowly inhabitants of the Underhive it's a resource that can be gutted, sold as scrap and the chassis turned into a homestead.

The idea behind this bit when it is properly based is that it is a scrap dealer, so I'll be adding a small junk yard around it. The skulls are proof of kills of notorious creatures the locals have killed and turned in for a bounty to the dealer, they are mounted on the hull to show that the dealer deals in these contracts. It's still very WIP at the moment and only just started it but it's a fun little build so far.

http://i65.tinypic.com/beh9mr.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/1zbv2on.jpg

The Trading Post needs to be called 'The Doghouse'...

Also known as the sofa for those with partners.. 

That Knight is a great idea :tu: 

I'm off to play Fallout for more ideas. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Madman or genius? Or both?! I know there likely won't be any vehicles added since that's more Gorka Morka (or was it Morka Gorka?) but the idea of punking up some civi vehicles for my Escher girls is tempting. There is always the classing land-speeder-turned-jeep, take those engines off and replace the with huge amps ala Mad Max.