Rebirth. A Thousand Sons fleet gets back to Prospero and find they're not the only ones combing the ruins. Starts Arvida's arc, and it makes you look at another major character in a somewhat different light

Which is finished for now with the best Horus Heresy short of the last 2 years - The Last Son of Prospero.

AD-B and John French were on the Imperial Truth podcast, and John who's read it said something along the lines of 'from the viewpoint of the 41st millennium it seems inevitable that Abaddon would become the Warmaster of Chaos, but what if there were other candidates?'

I'm very excited.

I wonder who these candidates might be?

1) They must be important in the aftermath of the Heresy.

I figure its unlikely that some random mook is going to be a challenger to Abaddon. It's not likely to be some random squad leader who is likely to be next warmaster. What's more if its someone we have never heard of that's a bit of a cop out and a bit less compelling than if its a someone we have.

2) They probably aren't around any more.

Abaddon doesn't seem the forgiving sort, he's a bit more comply or die. Ancient warlords like the Khans weren't the kind to let challengers live to become a future risk, and killing them sends out a pretty strong message to others about what happens when you mess with the warmaster. I doubt its going to be a character who is still alive come the 41st millenium. Whats more its unlikely that the likes of Khârn, Erebus or Ahriman would try and become warmaster, fail, then go off and do their current thing.

So who could it be? There's probably a few former Luna Wolves that qualify but my money is currently on Sevatar.

He's a first Captain of a legion. They don't hand that title out to just anyone. He'd be known by everyone in the legions and outside- after all this is the guy who coined the phrase "death to the False Emperor". Lexicanum describes him as  

"regarded as one of the most dangerous Space Marines of his day, comparable in Skill to First captain Ezekyle Abaddon of the Sons of Horus, Lord Commander Eidolon of the Emperor's Children and Chapter Master Raldoron of the Blood Angels"

We dont know where he is at present other than he probably died during the Heresy. ADB says he's "currently in prison, where he belongs". We already know that there's going to be a face off between Abaddon and Sigismund (another first captain). This series isn't afraid to kill off big name characters. Sevatar would really make a compelling enemy.

Any other potential candidates?

90% sure it's Thagus Daravek, Lord of Hosts. He's a new character as far as I know. Only place he's mentioned is the book description.

Could be more than one Challenger. That said if its just some new character thats a bit disappointing.

A new challenger could be interesting though. It makes sense there would be new champions stepping up post Heresy who were line-troopers during the siege or what not. I think ADB will do a good job either way. I'm more interested in what 'Lord of Hosts' means.

We're pre Fist Black Crusade. Renegades are really few. Could be some loyalist who joined the Traitor side during the Heresy, of course, but it's unlikely.

Most main characters from the Heresy are kinda discredited in the Eye. They are the officers who led the Legions to defeat, so appart from a select few who had super tight grip on the leadership of their Legion (Erebus ? Kor Phaeron ?) or the one whose perticular story is that he chose to leave the Legions because he saw how they failed and how they won't be able to ever win (Abaddon !), I find it perfectly logical to see new faces.

And, honestly, I'm very happy to see new faces.

Sigismund himself was never patient.

Sigismund doesn't seem to have that much personality at this point

The guy is good with a blade, very stoic and extremely focused. Bought into the divinity of the Emperor...scolded by Dorn.

Would love to see him fleshed out further.

Most main characters from the Heresy are kinda discredited in the Eye. They are the officers who led the Legions to defeat, so appart from a select few who had super tight grip on the leadership of their Legion (Erebus ? Kor Phaeron ?) or the one whose perticular story is that he chose to leave the Legions because he saw how they failed and how they won't be able to ever win (Abaddon !), I find it perfectly logical to see new faces.

And, honestly, I'm very happy to see new faces.

And you are not alone in that.

b1soul

would love to see Sigi fleshed out more before Siege of the Imperial Palace will arrive - even through the scenes post Siege :)

Will this new Dark Imperium lore have much of an impact on the Black Legion series?

Is the whole "two minutes to midnight" dead?

Learning of the new lore, will Khayon try to eat his face in despair while Thoth chronicles it?

Will Abaddon flush the Talon down a toilet in rage?

*mumbles to self about questions, questions in need of answering*

Will this new Dark Imperium lore have much of an impact on the Black Legion series?

Learning of the new lore, will Khayon try to eat his face in despair while Thoth chronicles it?

Doubtful, the Imperium still seems badly injured and dying even after the indomitus crusade, and we haven't even seen what the traitor legions have up their sleeves yet.

How can you say 'whole 2 minutes to midnight' now - if Cadia fell in 999.M40K.

Indomitus Crusade started in 001.M41k and lasted a 'hundred years' (Age of Sigmar all over again - they could write whatever they like in this 100 years). - So it's officially M41K now

Will this new Dark Imperium lore have much of an impact on the Black Legion series?

Learning of the new lore, will Khayon try to eat his face in despair while Thoth chronicles it?

How can you say 'whole 2 minutes to midnight' now - if Cadia fell in 999.M40K.

Indomitus Crusade started in 001.M41k and lasted a 'hundred years' (Age of Sigmar all over again - they could write whatever they like in this 100 years). - So it's officially M41K now

Except it possibly isn't.

Because dates are false, calendars are confusing and everything is proaganda!

Tadaaaa!

If I'm not wrong the Indomitus Crusade moves the setting up by 100 years but Guilliman's discovery of the flaws in the Imperial dating system means it could be anwhere between 101.M41 and 101.M42?

golly gee?

the warp did it

well almost funny, but not. First they :cussed the logistics for CSM and Chaos/Imperium resources. Then we have 'some time later' 'near the end' etc. timedates from GW. golly gee they are doing. How the :cuss anyone could do normal lore to all that

If I'm not wrong the Indomitus Crusade moves the setting up by 100 years but Guilliman's discovery of the flaws in the Imperial dating system means it could be anwhere between 101.M41 and 101.M42?

Technically it didn't move the setting up, but realistically, yup. The dating system(s) are so old and unreliable that there's basically a +/- 1000 years to the actual date as far as Guilliman can tell. 

Speaking of Sigi, Templar does a fantastic job of sketching him based on those he interacts with. He views the chains he borrows from Khârn with a reverence that his friend never shows (Khârn laughs approvingly at Jubal cutting them) and keeps close a warrior who checks his ego, but never banters with him like a Torgaddon would, nor bridles like a Lucius would.

Tl;dr: reread Templar, there's more to Sigismund than you think.

Speaking of Sigi, Templar does a fantastic job of sketching him based on those he interacts with. He views the chains he borrows from Khârn with a reverence that his friend never shows (Khârn laughs approvingly at Jubal cutting them) and keeps close a warrior who checks his ego, but never banters with him like a Torgaddon would, nor bridles like a Lucius would.

Tl;dr: reread Templar, there's more to Sigismund than you think.

In templar the best scene is probably him vs Jubal, Lord of the Summer lightning.  It gave more thoughts and description of Sigi character than all what followed after.

Technically it didn't move the setting up, but realistically, yup. The dating system(s) are so old and unreliable that there's basically a +/- 1000 years to the actual date as far as Guilliman can tell. 

That's half of the problem - they moved from one 'solidified' part of the lore (dating/logistics0 to unknown timespan and infinite numbers, without 'good' explanation why and how it all happened.

For now it's like - there was Cawl, there was Guilliman, where were Legions of Primaris SM produced and some 'Indomitus' crusade happened.

If the Gathering Storm narrative occurred in 999.M41, then it's 111.M42 now; the Indomitus Crusade has lasted 112 years, per Guy Haley's Dark Imperium.

But Dark Imperium itself has Guilliman musing on how inaccurate the Imperial dating system is, so that's a big if.

Archived