Am I right in remembering that it was the sword that stabbed through The Emperor in TMoM?

If so I'd be hopeful that it gets stuck in Him again at some point just to turn what's left of the Imperium upside down even further.

But how much do they know about the sword? Is it just a weapon to Abaddon or does he know about the War in The Webway?

Well, indeed. Questions to tackle if/when I get to that point.

Let me tell you at story about the time Talon of Horus had it´s pre order open up. I was at work, knowing that I was going to buy said book in it´s first edition form. I even said to my boss,

"Hey, ´i´m going to take a later lunch, or I´m going to schedule a toilet break around that time"

So when I had my lunch, I went on to Black library´s site, put the book in my basket, and went on to fill in my card number, put here´s to kicker. My app which I have to use to confirm that I really want to pay for said item was down. So naive as I was, I thought that I could order said book after work.

That didn´t work out!

If that happens this time around, you will hear my manly nerd sobbing around the world.

On a story related subject,, I actually look forward to the dialog when Abaddon decides to tell Khayon about drach'nyen. And Khayon´s know it all arrogance that will probably follow.

I think it would be very apropriate to commit murder to get a book about Drach'nyen. Just saying.

Ran

I think it would be very apropriate to commit murder to get a book about Drach'nyen. Just saying.

Ran

So it's agreed. The pre-order for Black Legion is going to be a world-wide Battle Royale, where only 2000 survivors get the book.

Ran

So it's agreed. The pre-order for Black Legion is going to be a world-wide Battle Royale, where only 2000 survivors get the book.

Think about the epic selfies you can take for A D-B´s selfie contest. The severed head of your enemies laying on the ground besides you while you read the book.

Man, I know that Keeble is voicing many things for BL lately, but I seriously hope he voices Khayon. Talon of Horus and Prince of Crows are the audiobooks that made me love this form of media. 

I hope we get to hear his Khayon once more. 

Ran

Black Library have an audio extract on the page for the regular book

From the excerpt it seems would be a good one.

Several points through - Daravek seems the most 'not Death Guard' Lord I ever read about. Also hope the point why the daemon does not kill Iskander while he was almost dead to free itself is kind of strange. Daemon which agrees for slavery to someone is a bit of strange.

A D-B

Will we see Khayon cards set again?  Do you know by now for yourself at which time Khayon is interrogated by the Inquisition? Is it before the 13th BC or is it during the new 'Dark Imperium'?

Voiceover for the audio version would be done by the same people who di Talon?

But how much do they know about the sword? Is it just a weapon to Abaddon or does he know about the War in The Webway?

I like to think that there are things that are legends even to Chaos Space Marines, events that are mysteries even for someone ten thousand years old. Maybe there are people who know about Drach'nyen and would submit just from the name, but would Abaddon ever meet them in person? Scattered survivors from the War in the Webway who may have some vague grasp of what they are dealing with but are only the most fringe element of Abaddons Genghis Khan like empire, maybe he learns about it at Black Crusade 6, maybe he doesn't learn anything about it until Cadia splits in half, eh? how many Chaos Space Marines would be like Abaddon, carrying weapons and armor they only have the most rudimentary grasp of what it even is.

I like to think that there are things that are legends even to Chaos Space Marines, events that are mysteries even for someone ten thousand years old. Maybe there are people who know about Drach'nyen and would submit just from the name, but would Abaddon ever meet them in person? Scattered survivors from the War in the Webway who may have some vague grasp of what they are dealing with but are only the most fringe element of Abaddons Genghis Khan like empire, maybe he learns about it at Black Crusade 6, maybe he doesn't learn anything about it until Cadia splits in half, eh? how many Chaos Space Marines would be like Abaddon, carrying weapons and armor they only have the most rudimentary grasp of what it even is.

Yes! But also... No.

Yes, because yes, of course. Mysteries are good. The scale of the setting is vastly underplayed when the same characters meet up all the time, all know the same secrets, and so on. (It's the principal reason, apart from realism, that most of the Black Legion's warlords and warleaders and warchiefs aren't just famous guys we already know.)

But in this specific example, you're dealing with the one that the Chaos Gods want to have the sword, and some of the characters most well-versed and knowledgeable of the warp and Chaos itself in the entire setting. Certainly more so than any of the primarchs were before their ascension. I like mystery and preserving it is key in a lot of my work (hence why I usually write about "some guy" in the middle of it all, and not The Main Guy Who Knows Everything) but in this instance, you're dealing with an event of such monumental scale that them not knowing a certain amount of lore would be staggeringly ignorant. 

Will they know exactly what Drach'nyen is, and certain aspects of the Webway War, etc.? Maybe not. But the daemon is the creature spawned from the very first time a human committed murder. That's an act that changed the entire warp. It echoed through eternity. It's one of the most monumental, important acts ever committed by a human being in the entire species' relation to the Chaos Gods. Keeping these particularly well-informed and capable, competent characters in the dark over something on that scale - especially someone like Khayon or Abaddon - isn't super-realistic, all things considered.

That's not to say you have to know much about it at all. Most people don't need to know anything about it to fear it. Its very presence unmakes reality. We're used to seeing it as a cool magic sword with stats. It's not. It's so, so not that. Horus never possessed anything like it. It's weaponised oblivion.

Khayon reeeaaaally doesn't think wielding it is a good idea. 

That's not to say you have to know much about it at all. Most people don't need to know anything about it to fear it. Its very presence unmakes reality. We're used to seeing it as a cool magic sword with stats. It's not. It's so, so not that. Horus never possessed anything like it. It's weaponised oblivion.

"Boss, you know why using that thing is a terrible idea? Because its so obviously a terrible idea!" :biggrin.:

Yes! But also... No.

Yes, because yes, of course. Mysteries are good. The scale of the setting is vastly underplayed when the same characters meet up all the time, all know the same secrets, and so on. (It's the principal reason, apart from realism, that most of the Black Legion's warlords and warleaders and warchiefs aren't just famous guys we already know.)

But in this specific example, you're dealing with the one that the Chaos Gods want to have the sword, and some of the characters most well-versed and knowledgeable of the warp and Chaos itself in the entire setting. Certainly more so than any of the primarchs were before their ascension. I like mystery and preserving it is key in a lot of my work (hence why I usually write about "some guy" in the middle of it all, and not The Main Guy Who Knows Everything) but in this instance, you're dealing with an event of such monumental scale that them not knowing a certain amount of lore would be staggeringly ignorant. 

Will they know exactly what Drach'nyen is, and certain aspects of the Webway War, etc.? Maybe not. But the daemon is the creature spawned from the very first time a human committed murder. That's an act that changed the entire warp. It echoed through eternity. It's one of the most monumental, important acts ever committed by a human being in the entire species' relation to the Chaos Gods. Keeping these particularly well-informed and capable, competent characters in the dark over something on that scale - especially someone like Khayon or Abaddon - isn't super-realistic, all things considered.

I would say there's a flipside to that coin however, and that flipside is that the Chaos Gods aren't exactly coherent entities in the strictest sense of the word, they are arguably not even the same entity between their thousands of demons, aspects, avatars, or whatever you want to call them and even if the vast majority of them want Abaddon to have the sword, to be Chaos Ascendant, but they don't all want him to go about it the same way. Maybe they fear that if they know where Drach'nyen comes from he might be a little hesitant to pick up the physical manifestation of the human murder or might cause him to have a "Hans, are we the baddies?" moment. Maybe they think if he knows it's name or where it comes from he might have too much power over the weapon and now they cannot manipulate him as well as they could otherwise, maybe some minor entities don't want him to have the bloody thing at all and throws a spanner into the works for the other entities, the possibilities are endless. Who would tell him these things? Whatever is guarding the sword? Drach'nyen itself? The Avatar of the Gods? the Avatars of the Gods? which version of the Youngest God do you believe....Slaanesh, Slaa'neth, or Shornaal?

All three at once?

I would say it's coming from the devils mouth but that's an over simplification: It's coming from twelve devils mouths, as well as Azazthoth, Cthulhu, Hastur, Nylathothep, Y'golonac, Xirdenth, and only Xotli might have the complete answer but you can't communicate with the damn thing because it's literally a dark cloud.

Or maybe figuring that out would be part of the trial for the sword, who knows.

Yes! But also... No.

I would say there's a flipside to that coin however, and that flipside is that the Chaos Gods aren't exactly coherent entities in the strictest sense of the word, they are arguably not even the same entity between their thousands of demons, aspects, avatars, or whatever you want to call them and even if the vast majority of them want Abaddon to have the sword, to be Chaos Ascendant, but they don't all want him to go about it the same way. Maybe they fear that if they know where Drach'nyen comes from he might be a little hesitant to pick up the physical manifestation of the human murder or might cause him to have a "Hans, are we the baddies?" moment. Maybe they think if he knows it's name or where it comes from he might have too much power over the weapon and now they cannot manipulate him as well as they could otherwise, maybe some minor entities don't want him to have the bloody thing at all and throws a spanner into the works for the other entities, the possibilities are endless. Who would tell him these things? Whatever is guarding the sword? Drach'nyen itself? The Avatar of the Gods? the Avatars of the Gods? which version of the Youngest God do you believe....Slaanesh, Slaa'neth, or Shornaal?

All three at once?

I would say it's coming from the devils mouth but that's an over simplification: It's coming from twelve devils mouths, as well as Azazthoth, Cthulhu, Hastur, Nylathothep, Y'golonac, Xirdenth, and only Xotli might have the complete answer but you can't communicate with the damn thing because it's literally a dark cloud.

Or maybe figuring that out would be part of the trial for the sword, who knows.

I agree with all that, but if I talk about that stuff it becomes spoilers, so I try not to.

I've carefully never said it'll be easy to get the sword (quite the opposite, Abaddon's closest pals are divided on it, and the main character of the series says it's a bad idea) but you vaaasssstly undersold the cosmic, spiritual, and psychic aftershocks of the daemon's birth in your other post, that's all. I'm a big fan of maintaining mystery or not making any specific deed/event have a definite answer, but there's a fine line in characterisation and the setting's lore between who would know something and who wouldn't. Maintain mystery. Show the insane conflicts within Chaos. But don't make characters unrealistically ignorant.

EDIT: Phone typos.

EDIT II: Every time I open this tab again to answer in more detail, it's all spoilers again. So... Gah. tl;dr - I concur.

Fair enough. :tongue.:

I've never said it'll be easy to get the sword (quite the opposite, Abaddon's closest pals are divided on it, and the main character of the series says it's a bad idea) but you vaaasssstly undersold the cosmic, spiritual, and psychic aftershocks of what the daemon's birth in your other post, that's all. I'm a big fan of maintaining mystery or not making any specific deed/event have a definite answer, but there's a fine line in characterisation and the setting's lore between who would know something and who wouldn't. Maintain mystery. Show the insane conflicts within Chaos. But don't make characters unrealistically ignorant.

I mean yes? but at the same time I don't want to oversell it either, it's an echo of the first human murder and therefore a massive hunk of chaos energy to say the least, but sins are as varied as people, each act most likely also have a sort of progenitor warp entity, and that's only among a single species if the largest and most power species in the 40k verse. Abaddon and Khayon could also be forgiven for not knowing where it comes from because Drach'nyen is a concept literally as old as the first time humans figured they could cave each others heads in with rocks, layer on to that it might not be particularly relevant to their interests of what to actually do with the sword and that the Chaos Gods for various reasons might not want them to know. It's ancient history, literally, and researching it could be an odyssey in itself that Abaddon and Co may just not have the time and/or resources for.

I've never said it'll be easy to get the sword (quite the opposite, Abaddon's closest pals are divided on it, and the main character of the series says it's a bad idea) but you vaaasssstly undersold the cosmic, spiritual, and psychic aftershocks of what the daemon's birth in your other post, that's all. I'm a big fan of maintaining mystery or not making any specific deed/event have a definite answer, but there's a fine line in characterisation and the setting's lore between who would know something and who wouldn't. Maintain mystery. Show the insane conflicts within Chaos. But don't make characters unrealistically ignorant.

I mean yes? but at the same time I don't want to oversell it either, it's an echo of the first human murder and therefore a massive hunk of chaos energy to say the least, but sins are as varied as people, each act most likely also have a sort of progenitor warp entity, and that's only among a single species if the largest and most power species in the 40k verse. Abaddon and Khayon could also be forgiven for not knowing where it comes from because Drach'nyen is a concept literally as old as the first time humans figured they could cave each others heads in with rocks, layer on to that it might not be particularly relevant to their interests of what to actually do with the sword and that the Chaos Gods for various reasons might not want them to know. It's ancient history, literally, and researching it could be an odyssey in itself that Abaddon and Co may just not have the time and/or resources for.

Ancient history hasn't been as real and alive than in the Eye. The Ragged Knight is a psychic manifestation of the Albigensian Crusade in southern France. Khayon has access to that perticular lore through contact from this perticular daemon. That daemon is known by other daemons, has left evidences of its actions here and there in different forms and under other aliases. So I'd say it's safe to assume  mortals and immortals can know a lot about daemons, especially if they reside in the Eye. And a daemon like Drach'nyen surely is known, to a certain extent.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be "Hey, I heard about that big first murder sword hidden on Uralan, let's get it", and I'd love to witness the odyssey to know more about it, its part in the Great Game and its location. And I think we'll get that odyssey, since it's part of the First Black Crusade. But basic, solid knowledge of what it's all about should reasonably get to the Ezekarion since they are the top dogs of the Eye.

I'm looking forward to this novel of course. But I'm not sold on the first murder being so powerful. It should be unique. But the murder of an entire planet should have more power and resonance in the Warp than a single rock to the back of a head.*

* that was probably done by the child Emperor when he killed his uncle

I'm looking forward to this novel of course. But I'm not sold on the first murder being so powerful. It should be unique. But the murder of an entire planet should have more power and resonance in the Warp than a single rock to the back of a head.*

Kiiiinda. Which do you think echoes in eternity more? The Great Fire of London, or the moment Man invented fire? Which, ultimately, has killed more people? That inferno, or every fire that has ever existed because of the first sparks back in prehistory? And look how many years later we still talk about Cain and Abel as a story, culturally not just as a Christian myth. Look at the basis of almost all codes of law, with murder being the main no-no throughout history. If you're versed in how the warp works, it's probably not difficult to see why an act like the first time a human being kills another one in cold blood is such a massive, resonating deal. This is one of the crucial stepping stone events that leads to the birth of several Gods. There are others, other moments and deeds that humanity commits that matter and echo into the boiling soup of Chaos, but this is most definitely one of the major ones. Daemons sing of it, boast of it, are brought into existence because it happened all those epochs ago. 

Every action, tool, and dream, has an echo in the warp - for consequence as well as simple momentary effect. I'm not overselling Drach'nyen or saying it's the most major thing ever, just replying to Loesh's original post about whether or not people would even have heard if it. Because no, plenty won't have, and yes, some will have. How much they know, and how accurate that knowledge will be, is up for debate.

I have zero interest in Lheor pushing up his glasses and saying "Well, actually, this is the daemon of the first murder..." on Page 4. The daemon is, by its nature, insanely powerful. It unmakes reality: something almost no other daemon is mentioned as doing (solo, on this scale). It's weaponised oblivion. That can't be overstated, frankly. But it's also not in any of Chaos's lore to just keep everyone in the know. And the origins of the weapon don't even matter, on the ground level, so to speak. If X knows what it's capable of, they may never find out where it comes from. If Y knows where it came from, they may never find out it can do Z. A, B, and C may have gone mad or died in the past, trying to understand it or get hold of it. And so on.

I understand your point. I do get it that something so pivotal in human history should have such huge cosmic consequences. I merely offered an alternative view. Not to say that mine is more right or correct specifically.

One wonders just how seismic the first murder is in terms of everything. After all, is it a "chaos god" ? Did it spawn the gods? To commit the first murder you would have to be jealous or envious (slaanesh) or you could want revenge (khorne) or you could want to change events before your "target" changed them (tzeentch) ... bit of a stretch for nurgle. You could merely want your victim to rot for his actions against you.

That may explain why the first murder was able to permeate all of time through all moments like that.

Or is this just a major aspect of a chaos god? Sort of like an "alpha" amongst the various major or greater daemons of a chaos god.

I understand your point. I do get it that something so pivotal in human history should have such huge cosmic consequences. I merely offered an alternative view. Not to say that mine is more right or correct specifically.

One wonders just how seismic the first murder is in terms of everything. After all, is it a "chaos god" ? Did it spawn the gods? To commit the first murder you would have to be jealous or envious (slaanesh) or you could want revenge (khorne) or you could want to change events before your "target" changed them (tzeentch) ... bit of a stretch for nurgle. You could merely want your victim to rot for his actions against you.

That may explain why the first murder was able to permeate all of time through all moments like that.

Or is this just a major aspect of a chaos god? Sort of like an "alpha" amongst the various major or greater daemons of a chaos god.

Delicious questions. 

And no, you're definitely not wrong. I'm phone-typing a lot today, so my "Yes, but...!" points are terser and sound more like disagreements than they are, if you get me. 

hm....it would be interesting to have Davarek or Abaddons greatest rival searching for Drach'nyen as well.

And it would be even funnier if Khayon's story would be like this:

Chapter I: The hunt for Davarek

Chapter II: The quest for oblivion incarnate (something like a Chaos-ish Road Trip / Indiana Jones path would be cool while fleshing out the life within the Eye)

Chapter III: Drach'nyen and the Emperor's Champion

Making Khayon the one searching for it and in the end discovering it, would maybe give him more insights of its origin and purpose than Abaddon might had when he assigned him. And finally killing Davarek right before Drach'nyen with Davareks soul being consumed by it would be a cool showdown for them. That would explain why Khayon would dehort Abaddon fom taking it.

Just wishthinking. ^^

Ancient history hasn't been as real and alive than in the Eye. The Ragged Knight is a psychic manifestation of the Albigensian Crusade in southern France. Khayon has access to that perticular lore through contact from this perticular daemon. That daemon is known by other daemons, has left evidences of its actions here and there in different forms and under other aliases. So I'd say it's safe to assume  mortals and immortals can know a lot about daemons, especially if they reside in the Eye. And a daemon like Drach'nyen surely is known, to a certain extent.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be "Hey, I heard about that big first murder sword hidden on Uralan, let's get it", and I'd love to witness the odyssey to know more about it, its part in the Great Game and its location. And I think we'll get that odyssey, since it's part of the First Black Crusade. But basic, solid knowledge of what it's all about should reasonably get to the Ezekarion since they are the top dogs of the Eye.

I mean I think that's extremely questionable, and the main reason why I find that questionable is because the masters of Warp lore in the setting to some extent suffer from ignorance of what the warp really is or the entities that swim around with it. Magnus the Red and Ahzek Ahirman, probably the most likely to have equal if not greater knowledge don't know everything about it and was a large factor in it's fall. Arguably even the Emperor himself may of fallen victim to this depending on which view of him you take.

To us, Skarbrand, Zarkyanel, Kairos, etc are big deals that are some of the most dangerous foes in the galaxy, in setting I wouldn't fault a Sorcerer who lives in a universe filled with trillions of worlds not to know these names, fragments of these names, or even what they are precisely.

hm....it would be interesting to have Davarek or Abaddons greatest rival searching for Drach'nyen as well.

And it would be even funnier if Khayon's story would be like this:

Chapter I: The hunt for Davarek

Chapter II: The quest for oblivion incarnate (something like a Chaos-ish Road Trip / Indiana Jones path would be cool while fleshing out the life within the Eye)

Chapter III: Drach'nyen and the Emperor's Champion

Making Khayon the one searching for it and in the end discovering it, would maybe give him more insights of its origin and purpose than Abaddon might had when he assigned him. And finally killing Davarek right before Drach'nyen with Davareks soul being consumed by it would be a cool showdown for them. That would explain why Khayon would dehort Abaddon fom taking it.

Just wishthinking. ^^

If that's the case than probably Abaddon victory over Sigi was solely due to the daemonic blade.

'And finally killing Davarek right before Drach'nyen with Davareks soul being consumed by it would be a cool showdown for them.' - I did actually thought the same, lol. Soon we will know if we were right in our assumptions.

A D-B sorry to ask again, but:

Will we see Khayon full cards set again? 

Do you know by now for yourself at which time Khayon is interrogated by the Inquisition?

Is it before the 13th BC or is it during the new 'Dark Imperium'?

Is Lhoer and Abaddon himself are prominent protagonists here?

Voiceover for the audio version would be done by the same people who did Talon?

Kiiiinda. Which do you think echoes in eternity more? The Great Fire of London, or the moment Man invented fire? Which, ultimately, has killed more people? That inferno, or every fire that has ever existed because of the first sparks back in prehistory? And look how many years later we still talk about Cain and Abel as a story, culturally not just as a Christian myth. Look at the basis of almost all codes of law, with murder being the main no-no throughout history. If you're versed in how the warp works, it's probably not difficult to see why an act like the first time a human being kills another one in cold blood is such a massive, resonating deal. This is one of the crucial stepping stone events that leads to the birth of several Gods. There are others, other moments and deeds that humanity commits that matter and echo into the boiling soup of Chaos, but this is most definitely one of the major ones. Daemons sing of it, boast of it, are brought into existence because it happened all those epochs ago. 

Every action, tool, and dream, has an echo in the warp - for consequence as well as simple momentary effect. I'm not overselling Drach'nyen or saying it's the most major thing ever, just replying to Loesh's original post about whether or not people would even have heard if it. Because no, plenty won't have, and yes, some will have. How much they know, and how accurate that knowledge will be, is up for debate.

I have zero interest in Lheor pushing up his glasses and saying "Well, actually, this is the daemon of the first murder..." on Page 4. The daemon is, by its nature, insanely powerful. It unmakes reality: something almost no other daemon is mentioned as doing (solo, on this scale). It's weaponised oblivion. That can't be overstated, frankly. But it's also not in any of Chaos's lore to just keep everyone in the know. And the origins of the weapon don't even matter, on the ground level, so to speak. If X knows what it's capable of, they may never find out where it comes from. If Y knows where it came from, they may never find out it can do Z. A, B, and C may have gone mad or died in the past, trying to understand it or get hold of it. And so on.

Not even just Christian myth, but wider Judaeo-Christian culture. I love this image from the Cain and Abel in Islam article on wiki, 

Cain_and_abel_islamic_manuscript.jpg

Or this fifteenth-century illumination of the pair, with Qābīl carrying the body of Hābīl:

644e70cfbe8c39ce4d2da97213d8f5f8.jpg

Or to attest to continual power, see more modern art, Keith Vaughn's Cain and Abel at the Tate among many others...

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/T/T07/T07696_10.jpg

Or this woodcut

Archived