So some brief thoughts

- Warp Ghosts was just great - took a nothing renegade chapter and basically made them the only way that the Black Crusades are launched in one piece out of the Eye. The Ferrymen of Hell in all senses of the word.  Interesting send off for Khayon's mentor, too.

- The pursuit of Daravek was well done from start to finish.  Really felt like he was frustrating Abaddon and Khayon at every turn, and was making Khayon's standing weaker in the Legion as a result.  Interesting concept that there were various challengers for the title of Warmaster and they all had a good chance before Abaddon won out.

- Telemachon is suitably slimy and I like it. Creepy, weird and very well done.

- The dialogue between Khayon and Abaddon about whether he was a clone or not is very good.  Ultimately, does it really matter at this stage? Whether Abaddon is or not doesn't change what he's done and accomplished and I doubt anyone even really cares other than Khayon's curiosity.

- One thing I like about ADB is his understanding about how big the 40k universe is. I don't feel like his stories are 'cramped' with dozens of legendary characters p popping up. Similar to this one (i mean, it is set in 32K but eh). You don't have characters from dozens of HH story characters playing major roles, apart from the odd cameo.  Delvarus is an example - he's there as the protector of the Vengeful Spirit with his company of 'Secondborn' but is otherwise not pivotal to the story.  It's a nice touch and that's it.

- Sigismund gets an approrpriate send off. Also, the reaction to the Black Legionnaires finding the Black Templars ship and wondering who the hell the Black Templars were is great. You could almost hear them thinking 'an entire army of Sigismunds?!??!'.

Argh so tempted for the LE version to go with my Talon of Horus but I'm trying to be good this month :unsure.: I do love the artwork for the standard edition at least.

There's just one thing I need to know. Years ago, ADB posted the following: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297022-the-ragged-knight-spoilers/?do=findComment&comment=3814531

"Who are these black-clad, angrier Imperial Fists who are so great at one-on-one duels and why are they beating our heads in? It's like Sigismund's elite warriors became a whole Chapt-- Oh." 

"How come the Ultramarines are predicting every move we make and reacting almost as swiftly as we act? Did they finish that book they were writi-- Oh."

"Holy Balls, who are these psychic knightly fellows armoured in silver and carrying force halberds who are literally deleting all our summoned daemons?"

"Jesus, who are these Blood Angels in black who keep eating our faces and shouting that they're Sanguinius?"

"What have all you guys been drinking while we were in the Eye?"

Are the Black Templars as kick-ass as was promised?

This is one of the best linked posts I've ever read... it takes alot for me to raise more than a chuckle at times but god damn, that line about the Blood Angels eating faces, I almost cried! Trying to explain why it's funny to my bemused wife simply stoked the flames of childish laughter! :sweat:

Nazguire

They did believe that Sigismund built  Legion? Also Delvarus is now with the BL Legion guarding the VS? Wow - seems he had tired of his WE brotherhood. Or they hurried him to near death. I think there is a story hear to tell in the future :smile.:

There goes the theory Delvarus is killed by Kargos and the units under his command are taken over. I would imagine he is only a passing reference right?

No it's him.

Definitely we will have a story from A D-B - a continuation after Betrayer where Delvarus 'recent' fate would be hinted ;)

I doubt it, it's not his style. We might get a few hints here and there but a full story is unlikely. Unless he's specifically asked ala "First Claw."

Will be immensely disappointed if the series ends here, completely understandable though. If the Studio does end up changing Abbadon in a drastic way, and I think they will, the series couldn't continue with the same feel it has now.

Sandlemad

Could you answer a quick question please?

'The space battles are decent. Nothing as good as in the Night Lords trilogy but Ultio and the Vengeful Spirit get a good showing towards the end.'

Does the void war take place over several chapters in details like in the NL trilogy? I'm asking cause void war is one of the most amazing parts of HH/W40K for me? Or is it just skip quickly through 2-3 pages to get Abaddon to the Sigi?

Praetor of Calth

True. From what I heard about the new fluff

how brutally GW will butcher his personality tis his eventual death in 2018
I think you are sadly right on that.

If not - I think we all would be glad to read more. Cause whatever anyone of us could think about the 'serie' - it is an example of a truly good prose/structured and interesting storytelling from Black Library, especially in comparison to a lot of titles.

No it's him.

Sorry when I am talking about passing reference, i am talking about just a mention of him in perhaps a battle. I presume he is not really shown an awful lot than a reference right?

so not really a Main/sub character in the book

Sandlemad

Could you answer a quick question please?

'The space battles are decent. Nothing as good as in the Night Lords trilogy but Ultio and the Vengeful Spirit get a good showing towards the end.'

Does the void war take place over several chapters in details like in the NL trilogy? I'm asking cause void war is one of the most amazing parts of HH/W40K for me? Or is it just skip quickly through 2-3 pages to get Abaddon to the Sigi?

There is an entire chapter called "Void War," and it's the clash of Abaddon's fleet and the Black Templars, with some surprises. That whole conflict is probably the last 20% of the book or so. I think you'll be happy with it.

No it's him.

Sorry when I am talking about passing reference, i am talking about just a mention of him in perhaps a battle. I presume he is not really shown an awful lot than a reference right?

so not really a Main/sub character in the book

Yeah, Delvarus is definitely secondary. There's a decent amount about the Secondborn ship defense force that he leads, but he speaks maybe two lines in the whole book. Also, it's pretty cool that he's a possessed marine now. Definitely a nod to his Heresy card game art.

Spoiler below.

Up to you if you wish to read. I personally think it's something you should read yourself as a fantastic end note for a great story, but ask and you shall receive I guess.

Sigismund's body is sent to Terra in a Black Templars' ship called the Valorous Vow. His body is shown respect, for the most part, and Abaddon personally attends to Sigismund's body by cleaning Sigismund's face of blood.  The Black Sword is engraved by Khayon with three words.

'We Are Returned'.

That scene gave me chills, I really cant wait for the next book.

"Jesus, who are these Blood Angels in black who keep eating our faces and shouting that they're Sanguinius?"

This is one of the best linked posts I've ever read... it takes alot for me to raise more than a chuckle at times but god damn, that line about the Blood Angels eating faces, I almost cried! Trying to explain why it's funny to my bemused wife simply stoked the flames of childish laughter! :sweat:

Our 'secret' shame... :P

Never been a fan of having Sig offed by Abaddon. Pure loyalist bias on my part

That said, I still look forward to reading Aaron's handling of the scene

Also...

if Abb is not a great duelist and more of a battlefield bruiser, how does he best Sig? Is the latter just old?

It was handled very well, and certainly didn't belittle or "weaken" Sigismund as a character to say the very least.

And yes, Sigismund is very old and is slowed by that. it's abundantly clear that he'd have killed Abaddon and probably everyone else in the room if he was in his prime

I might've missed something but it reads like Sigismund intentionally overcommitted to a thrust to Abaddon's chest in exchange for a mutually killing strike. I haven't had the time to emotionally recover enough to re-read it yet

Thats how i saw it. I think he realised he was just too far past his prime to win outright, and wanted to take Abaddon with him. So nearly worked too.

Sigismund must be what nearly 1100 years old at the most at this point? 

Waiting for my hardcopy to finally read, is it stated that he is actually too old now? or has he just been worn down by the endless war?

Specifically is badly showing his age (grey hair, lined face etc), and it slows him. He certainly hasn't been worn down as such...he remains as enthusiastic as ever, and appears to be intact and without any real damage from 1100 years of combat

Picked up the eBook copy last night and finished it just now. I want to say it's very good, that it's a worthy sequel in what I hope will be a long-running series or at least a sweet trilogy chronicling the genesis of the Black Legion. I want to say how happy I am to see more Death Guard characters, a Fallen Angel, and to see some of the cool Warp Ghosts lore from IA13 expanded upon.

But I'm afraid I'm going to have to rate it a 0/10, as it doesn't advance the plot of the Horus Heresy.

Can't see the good humor in your sarcastic joke. There is a difference between being funny and being a nonchalant bastard.

It was mildly funny.

You appear to be taking someone's lighthearted joke way too seriously. And the name calling is completely unacceptable. Don't do it again.

=][=

Archived