Very little involvement in the Black Legion supplement, beyond "The fandom thinks all of the Black Crusades were defeats, we need to phrase them better" and some brief requests for edits. That was all the time frame allowed. They asked me to write it originally, but the timing didn't line up, which is a shame. But there's also the knowledge that, well, the series will (I hope?) span years and years of real time. Stuff that was written for, say, Black Crusade X in that supplement may not be how it plays out in the novel series, if the books even deal with it. (Besides, there's lots to do with the Black Legion beyond Black Crusades, etc.)

:jawdrop: You mean we could have had a Codex (well, Supplement) written by you? That would have been amazing. Shame it didn't work out. :(

Roomsky: Brilliant! Saw it on A D-B's FB feed the other day, and thought it was absolute gold.

Very little involvement in the Black Legion supplement, beyond "The fandom thinks all of the Black Crusades were defeats, we need to phrase them better" and some brief requests for edits. That was all the time frame allowed. They asked me to write it originally, but the timing didn't line up, which is a shame. But there's also the knowledge that, well, the series will (I hope?) span years and years of real time. Stuff that was written for, say, Black Crusade X in that supplement may not be how it plays out in the novel series, if the books even deal with it. (Besides, there's lots to do with the Black Legion beyond Black Crusades, etc.)

:jawdrop: You mean we could have had a Codex (well, Supplement) written by you? That would have been amazing. Shame it didn't work out. :sad.:

Roomsky: Brilliant! Saw it on A D-B's FB feed the other day, and thought it was absolute gold.

Roomsky is brilliant indeed :biggrin.:

• 3 weeks later...

Knight King = Sigismund.

Worf effect claims yet another victim.

How tragically cynical. 

An event a reader doesn't like doesn't automatically equate to the author lacking integrity or relying on the Worf Effect.

Knight King = Sigismund.

Worf effect claims yet another victim.

Sigismund cuts off Abaddon's arms and takes his place as Lord of the Black Legion. He also steals Khayon's dark eldar girlfriend and then surfs off into the Eye of Terror atop a Stormbird while Sevatar leans casually on a chainglaive next to him.  

http://m.memegen.com/jxbews.jpg

thinking of Sigismund as Worf, rather than the subject of the Worf effect, is a pretty good match - having more honour than the rest of society, believing in lost codes, and the best warrior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfNe2uv-bHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspTr5TdR4k

To watch this gorgeous fight in HD and its aftermath, missing from youtube, ou can find it on Netflix - it's S7, e22, 'Tackling the Wind', with the scene from 35:12). It's one of my favourite Worf moments, building on things that have happened from S1 of TNG, 'Heart of Glory', 11 years before in production. 

ehm...what is the Worf effect? oO

btw I finally got a copy of ToH! :D

My GW store got one left and I discovered it today. ^^

So now I'll be able to catch up with you. *har har har*

ehm...what is the Worf effect? oO

btw I finally got a copy of ToH! :biggrin.:

My GW store got one left and I discovered it today. ^^

So now I'll be able to catch up with you. *har har har*

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect

Essentially, it goes thusly: you have a character whom is an established badass, i.e. Worf or Wolverine. However, you want to introduce a new foe who is supposed to be very threatening and dangerous. How do? Why not have him beat up Worf! After all, Worf is awesome, and so someone who can beat him up is also awesome and dangerous. Which is fine, in isolation. The Worf Effect refers to when this becomes a standard plot choice in the series, and it gets to the point where you barely, if ever, see the Worf-analogue do anything badass: he's just there to get beat up to introduce the new bad-ass of the month. So you get this sort of cognitive dissonance with the character, where we are always told they are mighty warriors, but never shown it. Indeed, we are shown quite the opposite.

That being said, ADB is like the best writer BL have, and I'm sure Sigismund's death will be appropriately mighty. I suspect he defeats Abaddon in single combat and is then slain by Khayon/Abaddon's bodyguards in order to save the newly minted (relatively) Lord of the Black Legion. I still hope for my "Sig/Sev Surfin' (storm)Bird extravaganza" but, as the eight-balls say, "outlook not good." ;)

So the Worf effect is like:

badass good guy is beaten down by a more badass bad guy nearly every time?

So we got the Worf effect in nearly every good movie, game, novel, etc. as it is commonly used, right?

So the Worf effect is like:

badass good guy is beaten down by a more badass bad guy nearly every time?

Essentially. It doesn't even need to be a good guy. Eldar fans complain about this constantly regarding the supposed treatment of Avatars: i.e. whenever we need to show someone in 40k is a true-blue bad-ass, he beats up an Avatar. Now, I tend to err on the side of "Eldar fans are just as whiny as the Eldar themselves, i.e. extraordinarily so," but then again, I would say that wouldn't I. :D

Just a quick random thought.

If Sigismund goes into a Dreadnaught, would he be the oldest space marine alive? I reckon he is older than Bjorn.

Assumptions ofc.

And is the BL Witch the reason BT hate sorcery so much?

So may questions.

Just a quick random thought.

If Sigismund goes into a Dreadnaught, would he be the oldest space marine alive? I reckon he is older than Bjorn.

Assumptions ofc.

He is almost certainly older than Bjorn, just judging on their relative seniorities in their respective Legions (though Sigismund's rise through the ranks is described as "swift," so perhaps he is younger than I imagine). However, I doubt he gets put in a Dreadnought. I figure if he dies in the First Black Crusade, he dies for real.

I was just thinking on a Dreadnaught on another BL story. Cantus Maxim Gloria, which is a very old Venerable BT Dreadnaught that oversees the rites of passing of an initiate to Sword Brothers.

Just random thoughts :)

Well gonna get that support group ready.

If they make Sigismund a dreadnaught it's the dumbest idea they've had since... well the last time they tried something avant garde with the Templars.

Why? Nothing signifies a greater undying sacrifice that ensures your crusade will never end than a dreadnaught.

Archived