Hail!

I've actually started on Betrayer now, and it doesn't look like it. Plenty of stuff to, ah, integrate (amusingly, in our version she captains a ship that's on par with the Abyss class mosnters she's so jealous of. Disclaimer: that was a thing before I was on the project in question).

My mental image of her is pretty much an older and angrier Daisy Ridley.

Hail!

I've actually started on Betrayer now, and it doesn't look like it. Plenty of stuff to, ah, integrate (amusingly, in our version she captains a ship that's on par with the Abyss class mosnters she's so jealous of. Disclaimer: that was a thing before I was on the project in question).

This may help.

Hail!

This may help.

This!

Hail!

Don't fall into the game of thrones trap, where all the characters in the universe get filled by the pop actors of the day.

Hail!

This may help.

When are we ever going to see some Americans :P. We're people too, you know!

Hail!

This may help.

Don't link YouTube videos like that when my mobile is dangerously close of reaching its data limit! :(

Hail!

Don't fall into the game of thrones trap, where all the characters in the universe get filled by the pop actors of the day.
I try not to, but it happens sometimes. I also think she'd be terrific in the role.

AD-B - I can definitely picture it now.

http://i.imgur.com/V10Sy8w.jpg

Boom !

Man, I wish I could be as enthusiastic as you fellas, but I look at this and think "oh look, yet another Horus Heresy traitor who survived. How come they lost the Heresy when almost all of their named characters didn't bite it?"

It's probably as inaccurate as the "Abaddon is an armless failure" meme, but my totally irrational feeling is still that Loyalists keep dying in droves, while the traitors skate by. Haven't managed to get my hands on the latest books, so maybe (hopefully) that's changed.

The only thing I really hope for with the new book is that we get to meet the Nurgle guy!

I was kind of miffed that by the end of Talon, Abby only has a representative for 3 out of 4 chaos gods. Especially since ADB's whole thing is that he can make chaos marines seem sympathetic, I really want to see him try and make us fall in love with a giant bag of :censored: and pus.

There's so much potential for a Nurgle guy even! He could be this fat and jolly bloke with a billion grimdark jokes that nobody laughs at. He could be a sickly, weak, hopelessly depressed marine that's super pathetic, but is somehow super dangerous because he's so blessed by Nurgle. There's even no reason why Khayon should be the only psyker in the group! He could even be this mad wizard disease brewer. Coming up with something nasty everytime Abby needs something killed slowly or making people rot just by giving them a funny look.

So far all the chaos marines I read about have been so introspective and deeply troubled. I'd like to see a dude who has genuinely accepted Nurgle into his heart and come to peace with the corruption of the universe. Someone who's just along for the ride and thinks that, given that everthing is lost anyway, bringing down the imperium would be a nifty thing to waste his time with.

Also: Now I picture Lotara looking in a camera and going "You know when your boys come home after a long day of slaughtering innocents in the name of the Blood God? There's nothing that does the trick better than a nice homey shepherds pie."

EDIT:

Man, I wish I could be as enthusiastic as you fellas, but I look at this and think "oh look, yet another Horus Heresy traitor who survived. How come they lost the Heresy when almost all of their named characters didn't bite it?"

It's probably as inaccurate as the "Abaddon is an armless failure" meme, but my totally irrational feeling is still that Loyalists keep dying in droves, while the traitors skate by. Haven't managed to get my hands on the latest books, so maybe (hopefully) that's changed.

Well, it wouldn't really be the "grim darkness of the far future" if the heroes outlive the villains now would it?

http://i.imgur.com/V10Sy8w.jpg

Boom !

I think the same (publicly, many times, and at HH meetings, too) but given my track record in countering that trope, I felt it was okay to do it. I killed arguably the series' main Word Bearer character (or at least the most popular Word Bearer protagonist), I've said a bunch of times that Sevatar isn't around to lead the Night Lords after the Heresy, and The Talon of Horus features the future commanders of the Black Legion, almost all of whom are complete strangers to the reader rather than classic HH guys come back for Round 2.

So... There has to be at least a couple of characters in the Black Legion's command structure that people have actually heard of. They can't all have been nobodies in the Heresy, I've done that with most of them so far already, and a B- or C-list character like that felt like fair game.

In context, I feel pretty justified with this one.

The only thing I really hope for with the new book is that we get to meet the Nurgle guy!

I was kind of miffed that by the end of Talon, Abby only has a representative for 3 out of 4 chaos gods. Especially since ADB's whole thing is that he can make chaos marines seem sympathetic, I really want to see him try and make us fall in love with a giant bag of :censored: and pus.

I have no idea if people will like him, but "the Nurgle guy" is Ilyaster Draylech. Khayon mentions him off-hand in The Talon of Horus (just once, I think) and yep, he shows up in The Black Legion. 

I have no idea if people will like him, but "the Nurgle guy" is Ilyaster Draylech. Khayon mentions him off-hand in The Talon of Horus (just once, I think) and yep, he shows up in The Black Legion. 

I don't remember him being mentioned by Khayon. Death Guard ?

Me neither. I just went back and looked, but I couldn't find him in the bits where he's talking to the inquisitor so I'll have to reread the book sometime. It has been a while since I've read it...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we'll like him either way. He's 'the nurgle guy' from the Black Legion. How could he not be awesome?

Me neither. I just went back and looked, but I couldn't find him in the bits where he's talking to the inquisitor so I'll have to reread the book sometime. It has been a while since I've read it...

I had to word-search the final draft doc because I had no idea where it was, either. Or even if it was really there...

It's a couple of paragraphs into chapter nine, when Khayon lists a few of the first members of the Ezekarion. Khayon calls him by his nickname, Ilyas.

He doesnt show up in google. I've been a big fan of how you deal with the relationships between CSM and their deities. Some are devout but your take on others, such as Lheorvine's relationship with Khorne, is more interesting and believable. A realistic take on a Nurgle follower must be a serious challenge.

Are you going to have a character who embodies Nurgle's traits and thinks Nurgle is.... aiight, but doesn't outright worship him?

Edit: Just googled the word Ilyaster on it's own. Pretty cool source.

He doesnt show up in google. I've been a big fan of how you deal with the relationships between CSM and their deities. Some are devout but your take on others, such as Lheorvine's relationship with Khorne, is more interesting and believable. A realistic take on a Nurgle follower must be a serious challenge.

Are you going to have a character who embodies Nurgle's traits and thinks Nurgle is.... aiight, but doesn't outright worship him?

I always though the whole trope of Nurgles followers all loving him unconditionally was more a fantasy thing then a 40k thing, I wouldn't mind one here.

The Death Guard most definitely did not, unless their name was Typhus.

I always though the whole trope of Nurgles followers all loving him unconditionally was more a fantasy thing then a 40k thing, I wouldn't mind one here.

The Death Guard most definitely did not, unless their name was Typhus.

Nurgelite worshippers also tend to be the ones with a sense of humour. In Talon Khayon and Lheorvine have a pretty well developed sense of humour, Firefist in particular. Maybe Ilyaster will turn trope this on its head by being more dour like the Death Guard.

I'm curious if other characters handled by A D B might show up in Black Legion either being mentioned or having a real show up.

Or if Magnus was the only Primarch who had to be forced to kneel before Abaddon.

I had to word-search the final draft doc because I had no idea where it was, either. Or even if it was really there...

It's a couple of paragraphs into chapter nine, when Khayon lists a few of the first members of the Ezekarion. Khayon calls him by his nickname, Ilyas.

But is he Fourteenth?? :O I've been worried that they wouldn't show up much and that we might see a non-Death Guard character fill the role. Khayon mentions somewhere that it's hard to even be around them. Totally understand if that's the case, though. It's kind of hard to write around characters who rot and decay everything nearby.

Abaddon gazed down at the fallen Templar in utter astonishment.

"Khayon," he rumbled, "can you sort him out? Like, resurrect him?"

"I'm afraid it's beyond my gift to do such a thing, Warmaster."

"Damnit." The Talon's storm bolter thundered, and the remaining Black Templars came undone in scraps of meat and ceramite.

The Warmaster of Chaos turned on his heel and stalked from the room. "None shall speak of this day."

Thus it remains unknown where Abaddon got the inspiration for the series of assassinations known as the Banana Peel Slayings.

I'm curious if other characters handled by A D B might show up in Black Legion either being mentioned or having a real show up.

Or if Magnus was the only Primarch who had to be forced to kneel before Abaddon.

From what I remember, they were all forced to kneel and recognize Abaddon as Warmaster. Magnus simply needed an extra help to bend the knee.

Archived