With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

I’m not seeing much damage output difference between Rubricae and Scarab Occult. I feel that the cannon both units can carry just aren’t different enough to excite me or play a specialized role. Rubrics and SOT’ role is to shoot light or medium infantry. SOT and rubricae seem redundant.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

I’m not seeing much damage output difference between Rubricae and Scarab Occult. I feel that the cannon both units can carry just aren’t different enough to excite me or play a specialized role. Rubrics and SOT’ role is to shoot light or medium infantry. SOT and rubricae seem redundant.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Depends on how much you like the deep striking factor for SOT

Deepstrike is always risky for me. If you cannot finish off the target after arriving, the swords are unlikely to finish off the opponent in hand to hand, then I get tar pitted. In my group, I'm usually fighting MEQ or 30 man blocks of cultists, so I am hardly representative of the average game player.

Back in 3 and 4th I wanted to be able to take all power swords, now I'd like an option to take a fist or whip out a psychic blast that does S7+ damage. When will I be satisfied? :rolleyes:

No, mine die to dmg 2+ wpns all the time. Actually, I lose more to rolling 1s for armor saves than anything.

Rubrics are great. My top favorite unit after Ahriman. But they can't drop 20 shots and a missile after deepstriking with prescience up and then charge turn 1 in the back field or on a flank.. That said, considering that I will be taking dmg 2 weaponry or better, their value diminishes and I'd rather just 30 rubrics be the ones to eat that damage... so I take 30 rubrics and 1 unit of 5 scarabs.

To be honest, I find myself only using the 3 Scarab unit list against more balanced lists or people just messing around. Not having the entire army deployed is a big negative to me. That might be why I dont play the old "Sekhmet" style list with a Vanguard of Scarabs and Magnus.... Not much is on the table and Magnus just gets focused down. 

On the topic of Goatbird Disco Disk Riders I'd like to make mention that their special rules from AOS directly transfer over. I know someone has mentioned this already but I'd like to add an additional point to this.

For those that don't know, on a 6+ to hit they cause d3 mortal wounds. When a Shaman is within 9" it gains +1 to hit, making this pn a 5+. If we then see a power similar to Prescience we're now at a 4+.

3 minimum per unit with 2 attacks on their bow means on average 3d3 mortal wounds per minimum unit at 24". This is incredibly potent on such a fast moving platform. This isn't even getting into Strategems yet, or any further potential Psychic powers.

If goats get shields that boost invuln to 4++ for no points I'll probably run 2 units of those and 1 with blades for counter charge. If it's a 6+++ for points I'll probably forgo it, unless we get some kind of +++ option that compounds.

Gimme some leaks GW!

But daemons don't all have the same rules from AOS to 40k do they?

I think they'll make new rules for skyfires.

I didnt notice until i saw a post about it... Tzaangors have a shield in the video... whether that means they will get it or not waits to be seen but could be really cool.

Thoughts on Tzaangors:

Shaman: Level 1 caster. Has an ability once per game to take a potion to cast 2 but take d3 mortal wounds.

-give some sort of benefit to nearby Tzaangor units

Tzaangor: same

-New option: Shield. +1 to saving throws (invul or armor)

Enlightened: Melee orientated Tzaangors. Move quickly and hit hard but not particularly survivable 

-Impacts enemy leadership or increases losses from moral losses

-Benefits for melee attacks when a shaman is nearby

Skyfire: Ranged support. Hit hard and fast but not particularly survivable

-Ability to re-roll hits when away from most enemies

-ability to do mortal wounds 

-benefits to ranged attacks when a shaman is nearby

-Absolutely terrible in close combat

For a demon attachment Im thinking a Vanguard detachment with 2-3 EX Flamers and 1-0 Flamers to be Deep Struck...with a Herald to farm the reroll.

Sure it's only 1 CP but those Ex flamers could really help our traditional Anti Tank deficiency.

I'm thinking the same, but instead keeping them on the table behind the tzaangors or rubrica blob. They are characters, so can't be hit and they have a 28" threat range with lascannon shots.

And they or the herald could summon the flamers squad if needed.

For a demon attachment Im thinking a Vanguard detachment with 2-3 EX Flamers and 1-0 Flamers to be Deep Struck...with a Herald to farm the reroll.

Sure it's only 1 CP but those Ex flamers could really help our traditional Anti Tank deficiency.

I'm thinking the same, but instead keeping them on the table behind the tzaangors or rubrica blob. They are characters, so can't be hit and they have a 28" threat range with lascannon shots.

If youre going daemon ally, even after the new book use a battalion and have 3 units of brimstones two heralds and then the flamers. Not only is it only 90 pts for 2 more CPs, but the brimstones can act as a really good shield from turn 1 alpha strikes, or annoying objective grabbers. While their invul is terrible now, for 30 pts you get 10 T3 models that the enemy needs to kill

If youre going daemon ally, even after the new book use a battalion and have 3 units of brimstones two heralds and then the flamers. Not only is it only 90 pts for 2 more CPs, but the brimstones can act as a really good shield from turn 1 alpha strikes, or annoying objective grabbers. While their invul is terrible now, for 30 pts you get 10 T3 models that the enemy needs to kill

thing is, i would do that for sure, but in my area most tournaments have a 'no duplicate detachment' restriction. And so i think that if thousand sons trait will be nice, i will take their battalion (as brigade might be a stretch to fill) with tzaangors and rubrics.

While if their trait wouldn't be that great i could take a brigade of mixed daemons/sons/renegades and then take a patrol of sons and vanguard of daemons to get access to stratagems of both codices. 

Edit:

it might actually be possible to fill the brigade quite well, as i suspect i will want at least 2-3 rubric squads, that means 3-4 tzaangor squads, which is perfect, spawn for cheap fast attack, scarab occult unit for elites, mutalith for heavy support, ahriman, shaman and daemon prince for HQ.

That leaves 2 elite slots and 2 heavy slots to fill, so hopefully tzaangor on discs are elites... and can take predators and heavy. That would work kind of... 

I would guess Tzaangors on discs to be fast and the shaman to be elite.

I think it will be this way too. It will be easier to fill a brigade that way too i think or cheaper rather.

would be perfect if skyfires would be heavy support :D but that is too much wishful thinking, as that is one slot that i'm currently struggling to fill for daemons or tsons... Predators just don't seem chaosy enough and the rest is really expensive. 

I mean rubric havocs would solve that issue ;)

Rubric havocs would make sense. We have a rule for rubrics...the whole squad gets to ignore the penalty for moving and shooting heavy weapons....and it applies to one weapon on 1-2 models IF you take it(most cases one). That rule would kick in better on a heavy weapons squad. Id like to see a squad toting around some warp blessed autocannons.

Do they though?  The Scarabs do by a small margin, but the Rubrics seem *almost* right. I personally think they should be 17ppm WITH the bolter. though 18 would also be about perfect. bringing them right in line with Plague marines. for a different toolset, but just as survivable. (MW not withstanding) 

Rubrics for 17ppm or 18ppm sounds almost too cheap tbh considering that a unit of 5 would cost only 85/90 points when a unit of 5 Primaris Intercessors costs 90p as well for a weapon with less AP but 6“ more range, +1 wound, but no sorcerer attached and no all is dust rule.

I guess it depends on the rest of the armies rules and synergies to judge it properly.

Me too. Same with Terminators of all kind. :P

Making the Tzaangor Shaman an HQ option would undermine the Thousand Sons' command structure completely. So yeah, I see them being Elite.

Considering that you can make any Character, not just HQ, your warlord....I don't think the command structure has much to say in regards of HQ/Troop/Elite/etc. ^^

I would guess Tzaangors on discs to be fast and the shaman to be elite.

I think it will be this way too. It will be easier to fill a brigade that way too i think or cheaper rather.

would be perfect if skyfires would be heavy support :D but that is too much wishful thinking, as that is one slot that i'm currently struggling to fill for daemons or tsons... Predators just don't seem chaosy enough and the rest is really expensive.

I mean rubric havocs would solve that issue ;)

+1 for Rubric Havoc!

Imagine the mutalith will be a heavy choice. Hopefully the shaman gets access to different powers, not enough powers to go around unless we get more than one selection, like Eldar.

I truly hope that we'll get a cheap Heavy Support because I'd love to field a Brigade one day.

I tried it once but with our current roster it's hard to make a good Brigade list (and I had 12CP but only the 3 generic Stratagems to use so.......).

Archived