With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

I somewhat agree. Right now our army has almost no synergie. Look at Death Guard with all their characters and stratagems. Look at the new Nurgle Heralds etc.

We need synergy more "badly" than those mentioned above since we only have such few exclusive units of our own. So those units that we do have need to support each other. 

However, I don't think we necessarily need new sprues to do that. Heck, the Exalted Sorcerers could just get to choose a cult from ye ol' Prospero (Corvidae etc.) which gives them appropriate bonuses. The new Tzaangor units we get are almost guaranteed to buff our goats so no need to worry there. 

We only need some good spells, stratagems and some reworks on the Exalteds and Aspriring Sorcerers and our army might play way more dynamic than the barebones "CSM but without any flavour or special rules" that they feel like now.

If it is indeed not a Daemon I still think it will have at least a 5++ invuln since it isn't wearing any armour. Unless GW decides that its mutated flesh somehow gives it a 3+ armour save. Hey, maybe it will be a Mother Spawn that buffs Spawns! Incidentally I just finished my three Ghost Swarms which I'll use as Chaos Spawn. 

Please watch the cursing.

Anyway, making such statements is moot right now. We have no idea what the composition of the new codex is at this time. What you describe was not the case in 7th ed, when all of those units came out. What you describe is the result of what we know from an 'index' army.

Let's please not turn this into a 'sky is falling' thread. 

I don't think the sky is falling, or that our codex is gonna be bad. It may even be very good, with all the rules we've been expecting.

It's just hard to see the care and the attention obviously put into the Death Guard and now the Custodes, when we're left with a far cry of what we could be in terms of fluff representation.

The very last thing I want to be is some kind of faction purist, much less a 'GW whiteknight', but I can't help but feel some historical perspective is being lost here. The Sons relatively recently got several gorgeous multipart plastic kits (including the first ever 40k Primarch) and meaningful faction rules for the first time in about a decade. Considering the need to churn out codexes to get 8th edition off the ground and the fact that the Sons are getting several new unique albeit-non-Power-Armour troops, kicking up a fuss feels like punching a gift horse to death.

Personally, I don't feel the need for much more than a legion of Egyptian ghost Space Marines with a smattering of esoteric support, which is what the Sons always have been. This has always been an army defined by limitations, with the visual variety sat on the shoulders of the Sorcerers.

I'm curious about the Enlightened. They can be build with either arrows (shooty) or spears (melee). But they are still just 3 models. So unless those guys get some crazy invul shenanigans or are dirt cheap I fear that they will be way too easy to remove to be effective. 

The Tzaangor Shaman has me excited as well. The model is lovely and if the Death Guard release is anything to go by then he'll probably be an elite choice (character) that will give Tzaangor or Tzeentch units a buff or maybe debuff the enemy. His description speaks of him turning enemies into Tzaangors so maybe he'll have a spell or something that lets him do that? 

This my friend Is why i bought 2 boxes.  The minute the leak occurs (guessing 2-3 weeks) for any information on them I will decide between 6 enlightened, or 6 Skyfires. I doubt 3 and 3 will work that well given the current meta (though hey maybe 2 min units is better then a single larger unit?) 

I would make a bet that only 1 of the 2 units on discs will be good and worth taking innately.  So I have 6 (and a shaman!) waiting on the shelf next to me fresh in box eagerly awaiting the codex.  Going to be an interesting month. 

Still somewhat confused as to how they should be viable. Since they are Tzaangors we can guess that they will be T4 and have a 5++. And since there are so few models in a unit I would guess that they will have 3 wounds each. However, removing 9 T4 wounds is really easy. Okay, so we go for a bigger unit of maybe 6 Enlightened, bumping them up to 18 wounds. Now they will need some dedicated firepower to be brought down. However, just killing one or two of them should still be easy enough and then I wonder how effective 3 or 4 of these guys will be. 

I just get the Plague Drone vibes from them. They too are a cavalry unit with low model count but probably tougher (because Nurgle). Yet they hardly see play since they are too expensive and you have to invest quite some points into a unit for them to be somewhat strong. 

I just hope the Enlightened won't have the same problem and end up just being taken in min squads to grab objectives because they are too weak to actually do damage themselves...

If anything, this looks like a welcome return to how Thousand Sons originally were back in the old RoC days: a force of mutants, Tzaangors and multiple specimens of weirdness backed up by squads of the Thousand Sons themselves (pre-Rubric, of course, in which instance they were all insanely mutated renegade space marines which provided minor psychic buffs to nearby sorcerers).

I doubt they'll do it, but if they included a Cultist entry and gave them the option to upgrade to "Thrall Wizards," that would be the Thousand Sons set.

Don't forget that since 3rd, Thousand Sons have had 3 units. Sorcerers, rubrics, and rubric Terminators. No havocs, no bikers, no raptors.

Death guard had terms, and have in fact lost their biker and havoc options.

A bunch of chaff/goats suits the TS well. In fact I'd like more cultists, as long as the basic rubric is a good unit.

What I want is access to all CSM vehicles, rubrics to be a solid troop choice, plenty of psychic powers, sacrificial chaff and stratagems that offer plenty of shenanigans.

Edit: I also want exalted sorcerers to be a solid, solid choice. I want my own character to lead my army and not be forced to lean on Ahriman.

@Xenith: I thought rubric terminators came and went depending on the edition. Regardless, having only 4 units seems limited for a codex. Khorne and Slaanesh could also have terminators. Heck, Death Guard had only a handful of unique units before their codex. Giving those two other gods another unit seems relatively easy while not allowing them a codex of their own. The introduction of daemon engines, obliterators, and warp talons provided options for the chaos player that diverged from mere "spiky marines" while giving options for a variety of roles. I was hoping for something more along those lines with a codex rather than porting over AoS models with spears or bows and arrows and an $85 model that is more or less a chaos spawn. In other words, I was hoping for a decent fast attack option, some long range firepower options, and some powers that hopefully are well thought out, not just random dice effects. Maybe the latter will still arrive, but I'm not exactly expecting it. :)

After 24 hours I've accepted that GW's vision for the Sons and mine will always differ. I await the codex to see if the tabletop rules will still be lower tier.

When 4th ed codex dropped, we did lose termies. All through 7th (until the end anyway with wrath of magnus). 2nd edition has thousand son terminators but i felt the first real incarnarion was in 3rd with the index astartes books and chapter approved book.

I'm wondering now if the exalted sorcerer box will be used to recreate thrall wizard bands with some sort of combining psychic might. Maybe that would enable the army to overcome current shortcomings like fast moving units, a relative lack of weapons greater than S4, an LD concerns on the 'gors.

Archived