With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

I thought the Osiron could be done via the hellforged contemptor. I don’t have the Index at hand so can’t confirm the dual auto cannons are an option there.

That’s how I will put that dread in my army - I just wished there was a Codex analog that alleviates complaints from sticklers.

I like a class division between Sorcerers/ Rubrics and beastmen and likely will not be using them.

I see them as henchmen only and to let them rise to such status (shaman, enlightened, skyfire) might give rise for future insurrection. Not in my army, sorry goat birds as much as I love you there is a glass ceiling in my army for you...

THIS is what the game is all about.

I thought the Osiron could be done via the hellforged contemptor. I don’t have the Index at hand so can’t confirm the dual auto cannons are an option there.

That’s how I will put that dread in my army - I just wished there was a Codex analog that alleviates complaints from sticklers.

The important thing with the Osiron is that it's a psyker. You could certainly use the Osiron as a count-as for a normal Contemptor but the Contemptor isn't going to fulfill exactly the same rules niche.

Ah I see. My bad misunderstanding.

I haven’t seen a 40k equivalent for the Osiron but my group would probably let me use the Blood Angel Furioso/Librarian rules for that model. I don’t think they’ll let me add the BA psychic rules to the Osiron contemptor. It’d be a helbrute odel with the BA rules. So either/or for me.

One thing is for sure: Every list I have starting this weekend will see a Herald of Tzeentch sitting in the back farming that free re-roll via Gaze of Fate.

You pop that sucker first thing in the psychic phase and then don't really worry about Perils as much (and you will save CPs for Cabalistic Ritual or Locus of Conjuration

Eager to see what we get, anything is possible at this point

As cool as it is that we can now get access to upper level beastmen, for my army personally, I like a class division between Sorcerers/ Rubrics and beastmen and likely will not be using them.

I see them as henchmen only and to let them rise to such status (shaman, enlightened, skyfire) might give rise for future insurrection.  Not in my army,  sorry goat birds as much as I love you there is a glass ceiling in my army for you...

Of course my mind might change completely when I see the rules, lol.

Skyfires? I think you mean Disc-mounted Rubric Havocs.

Enlightened? I think you mean Rubric Khenetai Occult.

Mutalith? I think you mean corrupted Osiron Dread.

Problem is, the birdgoats don't have armor. explaining away why your rubric on disks have no power armor would be rather odd.

As for the orison, nowhere near the size of Mutalith. these they are really not compatible.

Looking at the photo of the Vortex beast next to Magnus it is huge!  I looked at the Warscoll rules and saw that is area of effect was 15" affecting a unit.  Depending on the base size it seems like a nice big footprint for its aura range.

I am sure they will change it to an oval or otherwise round base from the rectangle base.

I'll agree, the vortex beast is huge. A guy I know in my AoS group brought one against me and it's quite an imposing model.  I'm really happy that they are bringing it and the other Tzaangor units into 40k.  I'm seriously hoping they just port a version of that table over as it's aura.

Your sorcerers don't want to micro-manage a horde of brutes do they? The enlightened and shamans are there as middle management so the sorcerers can focus on more important things, like turning a knight's pilot inside out or something...and if they do revolt, it's easier to punish one goat than a lot of them, showing them the dangers of insurrection.

Darnit, this release has me excited about Thousand Sons again, and I just decided this autumn to go for Alpha Legion as my 40k army... :D

Your sorcerers don't want to micro-manage a horde of brutes do they? The enlightened and shamans are there as middle management so the sorcerers can focus on more important things, like turning a knight's pilot inside out or something...and if they do revolt, it's easier to punish one goat than a lot of them, showing them the dangers of insurrection.

Darnit, this release has me excited about Thousand Sons again, and I just decided this autumn to go for Alpha Legion as my 40k army... :biggrin.:

Well my Sorcerers are control freaks and have been given feedback on their micro management as well as given tools and training to better empower their goats but alas its the difference between leadership and management I guess...  :wink:

Darnit, this release has me excited about Thousand Sons again, and I just decided this autumn to go for Alpha Legion as my 40k army... :D

Really hope that they extend on the fluff. We know that they come from the planet of sorcerers. But how do they even get to the different battlefields? I can't really imagine any TSons sorcerer being like "Hey Goatboys! Wanna catch a ride on my ship?".

As for the hierarchy: I don't think that a Tzaangor Enlightened or Shaman is anything more to a Sorcerer than the normal Tzaangors. Let them dabble with the warp, what does a 10K year ancient Astartes care?

Yeah there's lot of references to it in the Black Legion books actually, even though they are just refered to as beastmen. Man this news really makes me want to do a TS detachment in Black Legion colors led by a Khayon type ex Thousand Son and everyone else in the army is a rubric or pet of his...

Darnit, this release has me excited about Thousand Sons again, and I just decided this autumn to go for Alpha Legion as my 40k army... :biggrin.:

Really hope that they extend on the fluff. We know that they come from the planet of sorcerers. But how do they even get to the different battlefields? I can't really imagine any TSons sorcerer being like "Hey Goatboys! Wanna catch a ride on my ship?".

As for the hierarchy: I don't think that a Tzaangor Enlightened or Shaman is anything more to a Sorcerer than the normal Tzaangors. Let them dabble with the warp, what does a 10K year ancient Astartes care?

The goats are from Sortiarius.  Any of the Sons from Prospero would be well aware and probably have some in their warbands. 

Khayon from the Black Legion novels is well known for it, had a whole tribe living on one of the lower decks. One of his bridge crew Officers on his ship was actually a Tzaangor, so I think thats fairly normal actually judging by his attitude toward his underlings. Khayon mentioned that they were "better then average" stock so to speak. (referring to humans used by other legions) 

I would actually think that cultivating (... husbandry? breeding? ...uhhh... whatever the appropriate term is for a bi-pedal self-aware animal?) a community of Tzaangor would probably be important for the Thousand sons, especially ones that engage in lots of battles.  Rubrics are a limited number, let the goats do alot of the front-line fighting. 

They would need a community, so it makes sense theres a caste-system under the sorcerers to keep them in line. 

I thought I read somewhere that they were slaves from different worlds that were mutated into beastmen after being on the planet of the Sorcerers. 

Maybe they started breeding after that.  How do you tell the lady beast men form the Men?  (Never mind, don't answer that)

Could have been retconned. I think I read it on Lexicon or whatever, with that black and white drawing, a month or so before Wrath of Magnus was released.  Totally unsure.

Between the news about the MUTALITH + the whole tzaangor range being available and the new daemon codex making pink horrors, screamers and flamers good, i am really excited about a thousand sons force with support elements from daemons, mutants and tzaangors.

My force would probably be something like:

Ahriman or Magnus or Exalted sorcerer leading the army

Herald, tzaangor shaman, daemon prince and maybe another herald or sorcerer as secondary commanders

2-3 squads or rubrics, 1-2 squads of scarab occult

screamers and several tzaangor groups leading the charge

exalted flamers, flamers summoned as needed.

big horror squad deep striking

MUTALITH! just because MUTALITH IN 40K! :biggrin.:

Tzeentch Daemonkin is almost certainly going to be the best way to run Thousand Sons regardless. I just hope Rubrics are good enough to justify running some Thousand Sons other than Magnus, because right now that isn't really the case.

You dont find Rubrics currently to be worth the points? I think for what they bring they are pretty good, and tzaangors point for point are great. 

I agree with SOT and Exalted sadly, the codex will basically fix all these issues. Traits, Spells, items, and the Legion tactic will more then likely suffice. 

I've had really poor experiences with my Rubrics; they aren't nearly as killy as they feel like they should be and I think I've lost more models to Perils of the Warp than I've killed with the AspSorcerer's smite. Anti-infantry volume of fire mows them down as efficiently as anything else because we're paying too much for All Is Dust.

I feel you on that brother; I stopped using the mini-smites at all. Scarab Occult or Rubric. 

Generally we have a "horde" issue, anything in cover or wandering into our 12 inch range is paste due to the -2, but its still just str 4. 

I love it, but I do agree they are a hair overpriced. 17 or 18 after gun would be my preference (matching DG for example in points cost)  and of course a legion trait will more then likely help immensely. whatever that may be.... 

@skerr: don't know BL stuff. I was referencing The Lost and the Damned. Of course, back then Thousand Sons legionnaires could take chain swords, las cannons, missile launchers, and jump packs. So I don't know what is canon.

I thought in newer materials, Magnus used sorcery, not ships to get Prospero exiles to the planet of sorcerers.

Tzeentch Daemonkin is almost certainly going to be the best way to run Thousand Sons regardless. I just hope Rubrics are good enough to justify running some Thousand Sons other than Magnus, because right now that isn't really the case.

Ahriman is also good at the moment, but i completely agree with your point. Scarab occult can do a lot of damage, but you need to buff them a lot and at that point, you might as well give Magnus the same powers (weaver of fates and warptime). :unsure.:

I feel you on that brother; I stopped using the mini-smites at all. Scarab Occult or Rubric. 

Generally we have a "horde" issue, anything in cover or wandering into our 12 inch range is paste due to the -2, but its still just str 4. 

I love it, but I do agree they are a hair overpriced. 17 or 18 after gun would be my preference (matching DG for example in points cost)  and of course a legion trait will more then likely help immensely. whatever that may be.... 

Hopefully the legion trait improves the rubrics and not just the psychics for the sorcerers. I would be okay with psychics being buffed by the stratagems instead, like they are for tzeentch daemons

Archived