With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

As for this spell selection-I'm really not sure.

We may have reached a critical mass of targeted MW spells where its simply better to just stack them up for eliminating opposing support characters.

Just imagine the terror of disk ahriman toting 3 targeted MW spells with the extra 6" range. its a case of "if you are anywhere remotely accessible, you are dead"

Remember the comparison between Ahriman and Wyrdmake in "A Thousand Sons'." Wyrdmake could cause more carnage against multiple enemies, but the book was very specific that Ahriman could pick any one person he wished, and just snuff them out like a candle. And that was before the John French Trilogy :)

I don't know why you would run chainsword and autopistols on the enlightened. Maybe you want them to be underwhelming?

Unless Magnus has some serious buffs we don't know about these needs may just take him off the battlefield.

Possibly a budget option in comparison to the bows, if we assume a large portion of the price is the bow itself and not the model.

So since we got 3 Psychic Disciplines (Dark Hereticus, Tzeentch Daemon Discipline and Thousand Sons Discipline) we actually have enough spells to take a 2K army and give all Sorcerers a unique spell.

The question is which will be our bread-and-butter spells that we take every game and whom to give them to.

I propose the following:

1. Gaze of Fate (Aspiring Sorcerer)

2. Prescience (Tzaangor Shaman)

3. Weaver of Fate (Ahriman)

4. Warptime (Ahriman)

I expect these four spells to be taken in EVERY Thousand Sons list.

Gaze is just awesome, giving us a free re-roll every turn will help save CP!

Prescience on the Shaman seems like a given, since I assume that if you take him you are taking the Discgores, which means he'll be riding behind them, giving them his buff and casting the spell on them for those 4+ auto-wounds. Otherwise give it to Ahriman since it has a fairly high WC and he can get it off the most reliable.

Weaver of Fate. Good on everything and since it is so good/vital you want it to go off reliably. Thus Ahriman.

Warptime + Tzaangors w/ Instrument = Turn 1 charge. So Ahriman again.

A nice combo will also be Daemon Prince w/ Diabolic Strength and a dmg spell/Smite. He can wreck face and soften up his target beforehand.

Do refer to Gaze of Fate as Fate rather than Gaze.

Otherwise you might mix up with Infernal Gaze-and we got both available.

Wait...Weaver of Fate is a thing.

But if we call Infernal Gaze as Infernal, it would mix with Infernal Gateway.

I guess we'll stick to full spell names to avoid confusion x_x

As for this spell selection-I'm really not sure.

We may have reached a critical mass of targeted MW spells where its simply better to just stack them up for eliminating opposing support characters.

Just imagine the terror of disk ahriman toting 3 targeted MW spells with the extra 6" range. its a case of "if you are anywhere remotely accessible, you are dead"

I'm not sure we even need Warptime any more if we don't use Magnus either-a list that just does not charge is possible for us. (well, I guess a full flamer squad would also want it.)

As for Weaver of Fate-I would not bother with it if we don't have a centerpiece like Magnus or a deathstar (10 scarab squad) in the mix. its just makes a single target hard to kill, but the enemy will simply focus his attention elsewhere. setting up single-unit defenses in advance isn't impressive, the reason the stratagems work well is because you use them after the enemy is committed.

Also, an important note that might make a huge difference we do not know yet-does every unit have acess to every spell list to begin with?

And even if so, can you freely mix and match, or are there limits?

These two questions matter a LOT.

Distraction tzaangors blob might be a thing though. With deep strike -> warptime -> weaver of fates -> charge -> veterans of the long war -> fight twice (near a shaman too).

Enemy is then forced to deal with that unit unless it wants the whole army to be tied up with it. In this case weaver might be brilliant to make opponents waste firepower. Also throw glamour in there too

And even if so, can you freely mix and match, or are there limits?Also, an important note that might make a huge difference we do not know yet-does every unit have acess to every spell list to begin with?

These two questions matter a LOT.

Today's faction focus suggests that only daemon princes and Magnus can take from the Tzeentch discipline. It makes sense, but it does mean that you will be required to take a prince if you want Gaze of Fate (which further pushes down the Exalted Sorcerer on priority...).

It'll be 3 total, 2 old 1 new. I'm a little disappointed if the Legion Trait is Brotherhood of Psykers. It's good, but given that it only effects Psykers in our army AND is only applicable on successful attempts I'm a little disappointed. Everything else is cake though.

So, a couple of things

First Auto Pistol/Chainsword Enlightened would get 5/6 attacks per turn, 16 for 3, 31 for 6, 46 for 9, and 61 for 12. With a shaman hitting on 2s and a DP rerolling 1s you looking at 59-60 hits on average, that's like 30 guard a turn with not to mention the Mutalith which might buff number or strength of attacks that could be terrifying.

The problem with a brigade is that you probably want max size squads for synergy purposes; you want a big, expensive blob of tzaangors/rubrics to drop from deep strike, you want a big, expensive blob of skyfires to stack the shaman buff and prescience on.

Well you only need 1 or 2 of those, the Shaman buff is an aura so you can bring 4 10 man squads and they all get the bonus. Bringing Rubrics seems to be a bit of a hamstring since Tzzangors are so much cheaper and have more buff options, at most you might want 1 squad of 10 with flamers to punch a hole in the enemy line, other then that leave them at home Sorcs are 10 points cheaper get 2 casts and wont blow up on a miscast.

The Faction Focus has me pretty confused. They say we're getting 3 NEW disciplines in bold letters, but then go on to explain that we have the two old ones plus one new. So,which is it?

Its called up selling. Like when you go to a used car lot and the only thing they have is an old car with a different color they that color is the best color ever because reasons.

Yes, I understand the stunt. It's just that I (naively, it seems) thought too absurd that they'd be trying to push Dark Hereticus as "new".

It is being republished in the codex for our convenience. Or how we we have 18 psychic powers but only 2 entries have access to one side of it.

They really need to buff those Exalted sorcerers because there was no reason to take them before and even less now.

Yes, I understand the stunt. It's just that I (naively, it seems) thought too absurd that they'd be trying to push Dark Hereticus as "new".

It is being republished in the codex for our convenience. Or how we we have 18 psychic powers but only 2 entries have access to one side of it.

They really need to buff those Exalted sorcerers because there was no reason to take them before and even less now.

Well since Ahriman has the "re roll 1's" to hit re-rolls for (supposedly) all thousand sons units....Its a safe bet exalted have THAT at a minimum. which is a decent reason to take at least 1 (possibly 2!) as id bet money that the bog standard HQ sorcerer does not get said aura. and with our discs we got a dang good footprint 

Warlord and relic trait slots with that, so we can customize a couple exalteds. 

Archived