With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

First turn for any of the LoW seem to be pretty rough, even Morty with FNP. That said, Morty typically survives with less augmentation or consideration than the other options. FNP to get him into close range, but it helps him in every aspect. Lord of Skulls, super heavies, Magnus, Knights, etc. don't have that and all suffer the same fate.

First turn for any of the LoW seem to be pretty rough, even Morty with FNP. That said, Morty typically survives with less augmentation or consideration than the other options. FNP to get him into close range, but it helps him in every aspect. Lord of Skulls, super heavies, Magnus, Knights, etc. don't have that and all suffer the same fate.

I am not finding that to be the case. Pre-codex Magnus seems about the same as Mortarion to me. 3++ rerolling 1's and a double move is pretty darn good. (changeling added what mort tries to cast: -1 to hit, but of course Magnus has to cast that himself now).

Post codex? Who knows. My money is on Magnus purely because his points went up and he's extremely hard to shut down in the Psychic phase, and there's a pile of powers we don't know about yet.

Honestly it looks like all Primarchs are in trouble if a 3 man Custode squad gets the charge. :)

Nah, use death hex and charge them!! They’ll go down easily enough.

Or deep strike a full unit of rubrics and use veterans of the long war with prescience and a RR1’s character around. On average that will do 11W to Custodes if they don’t have storm shields.

Nah, use death hex and charge them!! They’ll go down easily enough.

Or deep strike a full unit of rubrics and use veterans of the long war with prescience and a RR1’s character around. On average that will do 11W to Custodes if they don’t have storm shields.

Yeah. 20 man "Ru-Brick" of dust bunnies with bolters and reapers is and will continue to be my all star unit. Layer buffs, launch forward with Dark Crystal and it's murdertime (bonus points for screeching "Gelfliiing!" as you do it).

If you can hide him turn 1 to buff your dudes and get his psych off then I agree his overall utility may be subtly increased.

Thing is, in almost every Bat Rep i watch with Magnus he flies out to the front line with little to no support, hoping smites will devestate as his spells did in 7th.

Also los blocking terrain is key. Seems Magnus should be an exponential overwhleming force as the battle rounds progress if you can keep him alive and we now have new tools to do so.

He is still a beat stick though not a turn 1 beatstick anymore imo.

I mean your right i guess thats why most folks i see go sacks out flying him up hoping to get some use out of him before his demise.

It would be cool if he had a shapeshifter rule turn 1 or a strat that diminished his size, (remember mini magnus from his debut event) shrouded him or just made it incredibly difficult to hit.

I have never played on a table with terrain capable of fully hiding Magnus.

Same, but I have played tables where I delploy him last 48" away from what is most likely going to kill me the hardest.

Saving to move him up for T2/3 isn't the worst thing. Eitherway he still will get shot.

Man did I ever get grief for that suggestion. A couple people agreed as it made sense, but then our "that guy" posted and started griefing the conversation. Need ITC to agree to it for this dude to have a fun game.

It's actually crazy how big Magnus is with wings versus without. His footprint is significantly larger than some of our terrain pieces!

So if the rumors are true, Skyfires are going to be like the best unit ever.  They've got to get a little froggy, but a full allocation of them (27 or so) will wreck shop against primarchs or basically whatever else you want to shoot.

Prescience + Shaman means mortal wounds on a 4+; and you can give them re-roll 1's to hit pretty easily with at least Ahriman.  So yeah.  They're going to be good.  I wish that I had more than just the three I bought for AoS.

So far, I love the amount of teleporting and other shenanigans that I see - the only other thing that I'd really want to see is some sort of recursion for the Rubrics - maybe that temporal power lets you bring back a model like the Nurgle strat.  Doubtful, but itt'd be cool.

Just to be clear, the Skyfire bows do NOT deal mortal wounds; they just skip the wound-roll if you roll a hit of 6+. The target still gets their armor save.

Hold on, what? I thought it skipped the remaining portion of the shooting interaction (ie. Saves, FNP, etc.) and jumped straight to damage. It'd have been like a true damage mechanic.

That makes me sad.

Edit: I hope that the rules mirror AoS wording and replace mortal wound with damage or something. Did we see this somewhere and I missed it?

Archived