With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

While a ignore perils would be great knowing GW it would be infantry only and then it wouldn't apply to disc riding sorcerers.

I still see that ability as a stratagem not an army wide rule to be honest.

I also think we are in store for some fantastic stuff.  First amongst them probably being Exalted Sorcerers seeing some kind of either Buff, or decrease in price (leaning toward a buff) 

Vets of the Long War I would presume is something we will 100% get, both other chaos books have had it accessible and we are after all Vets of it as well. 

I would also tend to agree that our Morale will be fixed with our legion tactic, it will (like DG) be a 2-part tactic, one will affect dust bunnies, and the other will effect Sorcerers. Logical assertions and all. 

I am hoping we get more then what we have now, but If given proper tools, items, spells, warlord traits, and a decent tactic with what we currently have in our collections (the six base options of 1k sons + the additional chaos tanks/daemon prince selection) we will be fine and still reasonably strong, as both scarab occult and rubricae are both very solid in 8th, upper mid tier certainly. 

I am hoping Magnus receives some kind of buff, though he is good as is. 

For Stratagems, we'll probably get Killshot, Veterans of the Long War, a Tzeentch variant of Dark Pact (like Nurgle got Plague Pact), The Great Sorcerer, Daemonforge, Fire Frenzy, Blasphemous Machines, some form of ranged mortal wound upgrade for 1CP (maybe Daemon Shell since we really can't have Flakk Missile unless they word it so that it can be used with Hellfyres), and then a bunch of our own stuff.

Incidentally, as a stopgap right now, you could run Tzeentch Renegades (say the Scourged or the "adopted" elements of the Prodigal Sons) as a second detachment in order to unlock many of the above, which can then target any Heretic Astartes unit. This is per the Death Guard FAQ, where GW stated that if you have at least one (non-Aux Support) detachment of CSM Codex units, then you get access to the stratagems for your entire army and the rule in the CSM Codex regarding Death Guard not making use of CSM stratagems does not apply (it's supposedly meant to indicate whether a detachment unlocks a set of stratagems, not whether they can be used when CP are expended). That same rule that is mentioned in the FAQ is one sentence that contains both "Death Guard" and "Thousand Sons."

Veterans of the Long War can target non-Renegade Heretic Astartes Infantry (paradoxically, even if the contributing detachment is Renegade). Enjoy actually wounding with your Scarab Occult.

From the text of the FAQ, pg. 1:

Q: Is it possible to use a Stratagem from Codex: Chaos Space
Marines to target a unit from Codex: Death Guard? For
example, can I use the Tide of Traitors Stratagem on a unit of
Cultists from a Death Guard Detachment if I have an Alpha
Legion Detachment and a Death Guard Detachment in a single
Battle-forged army?
A: Yes – if you have access to a Stratagem because you
have an appropriate Detachment, it can be used on
any permitted target: they do not need to be from
that Detachment. In your example, the Alpha Legion
Detachment gives access to the Chaos Space Marine
Stratagems, and Tide of Traitors can be used on any
Chaos Cultists – this would include any Chaos Cultists
from the Death Guard Detachment.

That is not something I was anticipating.

I could use the generic CSM cards with my Thousand Sons. No one really cares and honestly I think the best one I can’t use: Slaanesh firing twice But a close second for me is VotLW.

Another guy was using the cards with his DG and I wasn’t impressed. I think dreads shooting twice helped him most.

What’s funny about that FAQ is it opens a bit of abuse up potentially in future sets.

For now I like the Tzeentch Psychic power and am glad we weren’t one of the first codexes considering what’s coming out now.

Massively disappointing that index rules are longer in place than 7th edition rules lasted.

While clunky,slow and complex, i still enjoyed magnus a lot more in the 7th than in his current state: warptime,+1 invul + super smite and charge every game and all rounds.

And the 1 dmg smite is the most tedious and uninspiring event of a game. And exalted sorcerers are still garbage which should be the core of the army :dry.: .

One thing that does surprise me is the daemon codex. I guess this means that tzeentch daemons will not be included in our codex.

So either a really thin codex or much more entries ?? (With or without new models)

So I saw a quote in a facebook post from GW

Something about them "having something big planned" for the thousand sons, followed by a bad dust pun. 

And thus much like Ahriman we hold onto the biggest mistake of human emotional states; Hope. 

Yes, from the same community team that said "very soon" on question when the TS codex was going to arrive :wacko.:

I don't hate the community team or anything. They are just messengers of the info they get. But like general rumors not always very accurate when trying to read into comments like this.

"Having something big planned" could just be like everything else, a codex, a special edition codex, datacards. Maybe bring back the dice for a limited time etc.

Or some weekend gaming event where they serve as an Imperial punching bag. </s>

As a DA player first and foremost, I cannot complain, but I really want to be able to field a TS army at some point as well, and a codex would have helped clear up what I should get for that army. Here's to hoping for tandem with SoB, as it would be cool to bring two such opposites out at the same time. And please, 1 or 2 new nodel s for TS.

So tonight, for some reason, I painted up 10 more Rubric Marines and a dreadnought. I don't know why I did it. I felt compelled by some unseen force.

(Still IMHO) Rubric Marines are some of the best infantry in the game point for point.  And with the Aspiring no longer being a 45(ish) point mess, its a great squad. ;-) 

So it shant be wasted!

So... I saw something in the new Tyranids codex but can't remember where... Some units get to re-roll 1's on Psychic test.

I think it could very well be one half of our Legion trait. It's not as powerful as a straight "re-roll any psychic test" but it's still something that could be great for us.

What do you think ?

Something about them "having something big planned" for the thousand sons, followed by a bad dust pun. 

And thus much like Ahriman we hold onto the biggest mistake of human emotional states; Hope. 

So true. Something big planned for Thousand Sons would be..... Silver Towers!

So true. Something big planned for Thousand Sons would be..... Silver Towers!

DONT TEASE ME LIKE THAT!!!!  Best super heavy ever :p Lazer-disco-tower from space. 

Although I do admit We will probably get *Something* silver tower related. 

Archived