With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

Would love it as a piece of equipment for Exalts specifically. Advance disc Exalt forward and cast Warptime on Rubric flamer squad that just dropped prior to shooting phase. Gnarly.

I feel like TSons are going to be Chaos SoB. We see lot's of flamers as a focus so I don't think it's a far stretch.

Random fluff want; 

Anyone else want an artifact, or strategem for a "Conduit"? 

Allow a single unit of Rubricae to "Deepstrike" near a sorcerer holding or creating a conduit. After reading about Khayon and Ashur-kai Doing it I cant help but think thats a great idea for a Thousand Sons ability/relic. 

It would be cool to have one sorcerer have it, then select another sorcerer from your army on the field. Draw a direct line between them and a unit of thousand sons could either arrive within X inches of either sorcerer or somewhere along the line between the two.

Crazy wishing at its best.

I have a reverse wish list request.... what I am fearing and really hope against is having to Smite 10 times a turn to win a game and/or take control of my opponent’s army to have a shooting phase.

I think there’s a lot of room for creativity in the Psychic phase at this stage of 8 th Edition.

I think with Grey Knights they really did a good job overall, bit some characters got a big goose egg for abilities and although I really applaud the creativity in the shooting phase the GK have, they really still feel like a bit of a smite dependent army. Lots of really good stuff in that book though.

That all seems terribly underpowered compared to what some of these codex armies can do for either free or a measly 1 command point.

No, I think we are getting some sick stuff. Re-roll 1s for psychic tests would be sick and not outside the realm of possibility considering some other armies' rules.

I still think Rubrics and Scarabs won't take morale tests and psykers will get re-roll 1s for tests.

Huh............seems we will be getting some rules in the Chapter Approved. 

1 warlord Trait, 2 strategem, and a relic. 

Seems like all the books not coming out till some point in 2018 will be getting this to tide them over. I eagerly await ours!  

Id imagine 1 will be Psychic, and 1 will be Rubricae oriented. 

and bet you that our relic will be a Stave-weapon of some kind :p lol

That's interesting. Maybe we won't see anything TSons dex related until mid-year. Curious why the wait, but it's definitely seeming more like TSons are going to get more than just a dex otherwise we'd get something similar to GK already.

GK seem to be a support army more than a complete force. My hope is TSons is a complete force, similar to DG, by the time the dex arrives.

Watching youtube reviews on the last couple of dexes has me very hopeful that GW is hitting a stride on balance.  Most people seem to think the Nid Dex was very well done compared to what we got in the past.

I am bummed about the next 3 codexes but oh well.   I will keep painting away, plenty to keep me busy.

I personally like a conduit power as it lends to our deception.

I consider the following to be completely within reasonable expectations for the Chapter Approved:

Warlord Trait: Re-roll psychic tests

Artifact: Astral Grimoire: Dunno

Stratagems: 

-Master of the Warp: 1 CP: The psyker doubles the range of his psychic powers and adds +1 to his psychic and deny tests until the next psychic phase.

-Souls of the Ashen Dead: 2 CP: Return d3 models to a Rubric Marine or Scarab Occult unit. 

A few folks keep saying it's possible that we will get something either in CA or the codex that lets us cast the same power more than once... Well, I disagree. GW would not introduce something that is already in the game. IE: Open and Narrative play. It is still, technically, 100% legal to cast the same instance of a power multiple times in 8th edition. Providing a stratagem that lets you do that is redundant and a useless in the eyes of GW, so they wouldn't consider it. That's my opinion anyway. I wouldn't keep your hopes up for that.

36" smite on a warlord would be nice. It's balanced by still being on the closest unit. 6" warptime would be helpful. 36" Weaver of Fates. 24" Death Hex. 12" Gift of Chaos.

I think Astral Grimoire will probably allow a Exalted Sorcerer and a unit (or two) to teleport onto the table 9" away. If it's not and provides a movement boost and fly to a unit per turn I'd be pretty happy.

All I know is I'm more curious now than ever and it's driving me crazy. It's hard to make decisions when thing can change so much at the drop of CA or a Codex.

With the adjustments to Plague Marines and Mortarion I'll be curious to see what happens with us. If we don't see as many adjuatments as others I hope that means a Q1 or Q2 release!

the relic will either be a book, or a stave. 

I would imagine that warlord trait is right on the money (or is a re-roll 1's to hit or wound) kinda trait. 

As for strategems; I wont bet on recursion but i will totally bet your head is in the right space, One for Rubricae, and one for Sorcerers is probably right along the lines of whats going on. 

Speaking of; 

From Faiet (so please apply salt liberally!) 

Warlord Trait; re-roll deny the witch

Relic is; When the psyker rolls a psychic test if the roll is doubles the opponent cannot deny or negate the spell in any way. 

We get our own power; cast value of 7, select a unit within 18 of the caster, roll 9 dice, each 6 is a Mortal Wound. 

Strategems (its said on plural but only shows one, dont know if our unique power replaces the other strategem) 

1 Command point, if a psyker (character I presume?) is within 6 inchs of 2 other Psykers add 2 to the Psychic test. (YIKES!) 

If thats all true, a bitt mediocre in my opinion.

Re-roll deny the witch, usefull vs enemy psykers but we already had good deny.

Relic: Very random. Cant count on it happing when it matters.

Power is okayish for dmg but rather unimagative. No combo possibilities, just cast and spam mortal wounds. I'm not opposed to the concept of mortal wounds but having to spam it at everything is really dull (i think). And is going to turn me into "that guy" from the club.

Strategem. Meh not bad but 6'' is really short. Maybe for ahriman when rubrics and DP are close? On second thought why not save the CP for a possible re-roll ?

While I dont trust rumor mongers much it doesnt seem way out in left field.

The relic is ok since upgrading is free now, I believe that or something similar in the Traitor Legions book.

A unique power that is appears worse then Smite and possibly mini-Smite...pass

Edit: passing the mortal wound due on a 4+ would make it much better. You could wipe elite squads like terminators in one go.

The strategies seems ok, but does it work on psykers or all three? I think the +2 for all three is certainly better than one dice for one psyker.

That's interesting. Maybe we won't see anything TSons dex related until mid-year. Curious why the wait, but it's definitely seeming more like TSons are going to get more than just a dex otherwise we'd get something similar to GK already.

GK seem to be a support army more than a complete force. My hope is TSons is a complete force, similar to DG, by the time the dex arrives.

I think the GK are better off now than in 7th. But the Thousand Sons in 7 th finally became a real thing by leveraging units in CSM but very importantly they had access to a fairly inexpensive basic, unique troop. I think this is huge. The problem has been playstyle. GK suffer from it but they’re pretty decent now.

I don’t think Thousand Sons will have real problems getting enough unit entries. It will come down to cost and the Psychic phase I think.

Nothing on that list seems like a gang buster. All pretty basic. 1.5 MW for WC7 ia kinda rough given some of the other shooty powers out there.

I'd be curious to see the wording on the relic. Depending in how it shows up I'd love if that meant any doubles meant success and inability to deny.

Hope isn't lost! Still neat things but I don't see anyone writing home about TSons in the competitive meta with the above.

Edit: I'm just happy we get a book lol

I would wager we are a shoe-in for more units, we will probably get a 1-3 kit release when the codex comes.  If not? why wouldnt they just chuck us in with the "drop and done" codexs such as BA/DA/Nids/Eldar/Mecahnicum../GK......

The Marine and Death Guards are the only ones with substantial release tracks so its a thought. 

I would wager we are a shoe-in for more units, we will probably get a 1-3 kit release when the codex comes. If not? why wouldnt they just chuck us in with the "drop and done" codexs such as BA/DA/Nids/Eldar/Mecahnicum../GK......

I would probably say that means our chances at new kits is fairly low. New units using in place kits would be far more likely.

I dont care so much that I need to have TS dominate the tabletop but the rumors are just so lack luster.

I'm hoping that luster will shine through with whatever new models or existing kits they add to TS Codex. As good as Strategems/Relics/Traits are we don't have a strong enough core in the first place to be competitive.

Maybe those leaks just go to show what they're adding in terms of models for the army will be game changing.

Edit: Okay so I read through all the faction leaks. They all seem very reasonable on review.

Warlord: Re-roll Deny the Witch.

All Aspiring Sorcerers, Exalteds, your Daemon Prince, Ahriman, and even Magnus will be able to deny. DtW saturation means Alpha Strikes are less effective because the combo shutdowns from DtW. Magnus +2, Ahriman +1, and a RR could mean you shut down that Death Hex or equivalent.

Relic: Roll doubles on Psychic means opponent can't deny or negate by anything.

Tyranids were a major concern to me. Now I have a shot to push through that negation bubble on a 6+

Power: Roll 9d6 on 6 MW.

I have a feeling this may be on a 6+. Maybe the wording of the Bonus to Psychic, that Magnus and Ahriman have for example, will augment this spell. For example: WC7 - Make a Psychic Test on 9 dice. On a 6+ cause a mortal wound. Automatically good.

Strategem: 1CP - If within 6" of 2 other TS psykers +2,to your +2 to your Psychic test.

Amazing. That same overlap from the Deny AoE from Rubric squads will also fuel this Strategem for the Psychic machine gun. If the above psychic power is worded make 9d6 Psychic test. Magnus could do 9d6 mortal wounds on a 2+, That sounds pretty Primarchy, or Ahriman on a 3+ as he should.

All that said there is potential out there.

One other thing. No mention of Perils at all. Is the absence of mention in trait, relic, or power potentially mean tactic? Are TSons immune to Perils? Or maybe something else similar?

Please let me be a spell slinging Juggernaut!

Archived