With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

I take these rumours with a huge load of salt... And not only because they come from Faeit.

That Psychic power is a mix of Curse of the Leper and Plague Wind. Except that it's a lot worse than both of them. It really feels like something fan-made.

Also, Dark Eldar weapons don't have a strength value, only * instead. This relic should be Strength *, not Strength 1.

I say these rumours are nonsense.

I take these rumours with a huge load of salt... And not only because they come from Faeit.

That Psychic power is a mix of Curse of the Leper and Plague Wind. Except that it's a lot worse than both of them. It really feels like something fan-made.

Also, Dark Eldar weapons don't have a strength value, only * instead. This relic should be Strength *, not Strength 1.

I say these rumours are nonsense.

This is equally likely. and its well ahead of book release so its all subject to question.  

It will be nice to get anything to help us, I hate having to use CSM detachments so we have to pay a HQ/CP or a HQ/Troop tax just to get access to our strategems

The army building process is getting more complex and annoying as 8th progresses (at least till our codex is out, then its a 1 book deal) 

Right now I have units from Index, units from CSM, and points from both.  When I play I use updated points so my Thousand Sons lists I use the updated CSM points for maulerfiends/forgefiends/dread/Rubrics/Sorcerers. and then use the index for everything else (Scarab Occult, Magnus, Ahriman, Tzaangors, Exalted) so its a little annoying going back and forth, hopefully Chapter Approved brings everything in line so it becomes far easier in the list building aspect. 

I don't think these rumours will prove themselves true, but I'd be very disappointed if they did, since those rules don't even begin to bridge the gap between us and the "Codex" armies. Sure, VotLW and the like help a lot, but we need a lot more than good Denies and an absurdly situational trinket to even begin to compete.

And no, I don't mean "compete" as in GT Top 10, I mean having a fun game with your Codex-having friends without being trounced by any of the powerful interactions now available to most armies.

And no, I don't mean "compete" as in GT Top 10, I mean having a fun game with your Codex-having friends without being trounced by any of the powerful interactions now available to most armies.

That's how I feel. Top 10 lists are "soup" armies anyway and Chaos can get thier with too much difficulty anyway. I want a good mix of fluff and crunch where I can play and win/have fun without feeling handicapped.

Had my first game with TS tonight against Eldar at 1000 points. My list was as follows:

Ahriman

Sorceror with jump pack

5 rubrics, soulreaper cannon

5 rubrics, soulreaper cannon

10 rubrics

Contemptor, 2x butcher cannons

I felt very outnumbered and struggled to make much of a dent in my opponents army before I got tabled on turn 5. The eldar were able to keep out of 24" range of just about all my weapons and smites. He dropped 5 fire dragons to take out my contemptor and ran off before I could gun them down. I have 5 scarab terminators and a sorcerer in terminator armour but they feel too expensive to use at 1000 points/50PL.

I think I may need to change things up at this power level, perhaps the contemptor is too expensive at this level? is 20 rubrics too many at this points level? I thought about a daemon prince with wings, as I feel I could use a unit to push forwards to pressure a flank.

I have a doubles tournament after christmas so I'd really like to get a decent 1000 points list together and would appreciate any advice

Against a lightning fast army light Eldar your list is seriously lacking in mobility. My personal solution to the problem is a fairly extensive use of rhinos combined with disc’s for my sorcerers/wings for my Prince. Having terminators in reserves ready to deliver an alpha strike an enemy (dark reapers come to mind) to a remote corner is also a viable

Bottom line, in most of my lists, almost everything on the table upon deploying is capable of moving 12”.

The downside to this is that all those transports/discs come at a fairly steep cost that I know some people on these forums aren’t willing to pay and that’s fine. I just know that my rhinos have been very effective for me since 3rd edition and 8th doesn’t seem to be any different.

As always, YMMV, cheers!

Edit: my first game in 8th was against Eldar and I nearly tabled him after turn 3 though to be fair it was against index Eldar not codex Eldar.

I'm playing as hard as I can vs Eldar but there's not much I can do with the units I have. I didn't even kill but a lone warlock and some dire avengers while I got tabled. Wraithknight is rough. All the stratagems and stuff is nuts.

As codexes continue to come out I think things will just get more difficult for index players. However, we could reasonably get access for strategems with the chaos codex with one detachment from codex:csm

I'm playing as hard as I can vs Eldar but there's not much I can do with the units I have. I didn't even kill but a lone warlock and some dire avengers while I got tabled. Wraithknight is rough. All the stratagems and stuff is nuts.

As codexes continue to come out I think things will just get more difficult for index players. However, we could reasonably get access for strategems with the chaos codex with one detachment from codex:csm

Every game I take a codex detachment, Its a 158/1 command point tax.  Annoying, but helps immensely. 

VOTLW Inferno bolters are relatively terrifying. 

So we now have things that auto hit on a 3+ no matter the modifier in Eldar, and a 10" flamer in Tyranids.

What do you think is on our docket? Inferno Bolts causing wounds on a 3+? 10" Warpflamer allowing teleport shenanigans?

(speculation train incoming!) 

I think there's a few "guarantees" and there's a few "maybes" based off of current trends. 

The Aura's are all but guarantees, we will get something in this regard to fix the issue with us being "forced" into 2 army choices (ahriman and Daemon prince being the only logical and points-effective HQ's for us at this moment in any normal sized game) 

"Vets of the Long war" is a guarantee (DG / Chaos in general), we can also make a logical assumption that "The great sorcerer" stratagem (swap spell) will make an appearance. We will almost assuredly get a Tzaangor and a "rubrics" strategem and if the recent leak is to be beleived the "caster" strategem is right around the corner. As well as the strategem for casting one extra spell for a point. (I think this is Tzeentch Familiar?) 

Note; Death guard got multiple "Death guard unit" strategems such as poxwalker strategem, and a couple of "nurgle" focused strats from the main chaos book so in logical extension there's a few things we can assume and take for granted in being present such as the above mentioned

There will probably a form of "perils mitigation" in the book, what we can only speculate. I would expect that Exalted Sorcerers will either receive a buff of some sort or a points drop of some sort. (most DG units in transition from index to codex dropped, and supposedly yet again in the upcoming Chapter Approved) 

We can expect a 2 pronged rule such as many of the legions have (if i were to bet id say psykers/rubricae would be the focus of those once having looked over what we have, possibly psyker mitigation and a morale rule for the rubrics?) 

Magnus will probably get a *combat* buff AND a points increase, as of this moment hes one of the most survivable models in the game buffed properly (and most of this is by him being who he is, the only thing added is the obvious "changeling")  He of course will also get a Warlord trait, and that trait will be locked onto him. (hopefully its good! looking at mortys....I expect it to be......) 

(Side note; Anyone else think that Magnus will get "Titanic feet" special rule? or something like it? hes the height of a knight ( hair taller) and his feet are gigantic so thats a thought since Morty has the sweeping attacks spam ability) 

So we now have things that auto hit on a 3+ no matter the modifier in Eldar, and a 10" flamer in Tyranids.

What do you think is on our docket? Inferno Bolts causing wounds on a 3+? 10" Warpflamer allowing teleport shenanigans?

Veterans of the Long War is still worth popping 1 CP to get +1 to wound on a unit. We are probably getting that, so wouldn't need a modification to wound.

If we get our own unique spell set of 6 themed powers AND keep Dark Hereticus powers that would be ideal but I still don't think it is going to happen. If our powers include a teleport and a Puppet Master type power that would be nuts and well worth the swap.

If we get our own unique spell set of 6 themed powers AND keep Dark Hereticus powers that would be ideal but I still don't think it is going to happen.

Well, I do think it's going to happen. We are the masters of magic after all.

The Death Guard are not a great example of what we should expect, as their primarch used to hate psykers and their fluff has never been too much about psychic shenanigans.

Eldars on the contrary are a "magic" race and they got 2-3 sets of psychic powers. Based on that, I think we're due at least 2 disciplines, one of which will be Dark Hereticus.

If we get our own unique spell set of 6 themed powers AND keep Dark Hereticus powers that would be ideal but I still don't think it is going to happen.

Well, I do think it's going to happen. We are the masters of magic after all.

The Death Guard are not a great example of what we should expect, as their primarch used to hate psykers and their fluff has never been too much about psychic shenanigans.

Eldars on the contrary are a "magic" race and they got 2-3 sets of psychic powers. Based on that, I think we're due at least 2 disciplines, one of which will be Dark Hereticus.

I expect something like Runes of Battle or whatever where they have 2 different spells in one. Dark Angels will be a good indication of what will happen because their power set of 6 will either be unique or include one or two from "Space Marines". 

Alternatively, they could say "You can use the Space Marines powers as well"

Interesting either way

I don't think we'll see much, maybe a few changes here and there. That said, whatever is in that book could very well change on releass of the codex. Makes for an interesting start to an addition!

Previous rumors being Warlord, one relic, one-2 strats, and a single unique power. 

Sounds about right for everyone lacking a codex. 

I can see the Psychic power having  DEFINITE use, average 1-2 mortal wounds, chuck an infernal gaze on the same target...all of a sudden those 3-5 wound characters are looking alot more haggard arent they?  And if you just so happen to spike a roll?  :wink:

Seems like thats how GW intends to give us our "sniping" powers.  I would not be shocked to see thousand sons have 2 lores to pick from in compensation for what we lack in other options.  

We may not have snipers; but with this addition we have Two spells that can reliably put 1-2 wounds on a model in a given turn, with a reasonable amount of lucky you can mortal wound a 4 wound character to death in a single turn.  Commissar say what? Oh thats a cute apothecary....What about that Lieutenant you have there? Would be a shame if something..... HAPPENED TO THEM! 

I can see the Psychic power having  DEFINITE use, average 1-2 mortal wounds, chuck an infernal gaze on the same target...all of a sudden those 3-5 wound characters are looking alot more haggard arent they?  And if you just so happen to spike a roll?  :wink:

Seems like thats how GW intends to give us our "sniping" powers.  I would not be shocked to see thousand sons have 2 lores to pick from in compensation for what we lack in other options.  

We may not have snipers; but with this addition we have Two spells that can reliably put 1-2 wounds on a model in a given turn, with a reasonable amount of lucky you can mortal wound a 4 wound character to death in a single turn.  Commissar say what? Oh thats a cute apothecary....What about that Lieutenant you have there? Would be a shame if something..... HAPPENED TO THEM! 

but to do that, either our casting has to be better or our sorcerors get to cast more. as failing 1 of our powers means we won't be able to do that at all.

Archived